Shel-DONE? Potential Richardson Deal puts Maccagnan in Tough Spot

JetNation

1 hour ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Why would having 4 4-3 DTs be a smarter thing, fellas? They need speed on the edge in either defense. Leo, Mo, and Sheldon aren't 4-3 DEs they are DTs. Either way, they have three similar players for two spots. Giving Mo that massive deal was a mistake. One of them has to go and Sheldon is the easiest to get rid of. 

Ding-ding-ding! 

7fd577ea3fd21134491ca711c3071876_back-al

I think Macc will expand the deal a bit from this--

Team X gets: Sheldon Richardson

Jets get: 2017 third round choice; 2018 conditional pick

to this--

Team X gets: Sheldon Richardson; 2018 fourth round draft pick.

35 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Grow up. 

I thought you had me on ignore?  You know, when you announced it to the entire forum, screenshot and all, like a child because I simply disagreed with you. 

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

I think Macc will expand the deal a bit from this--

Team X gets: Sheldon Richardson

to this--

Team X gets: Sheldon Richardson; 2018 fourth round draft pick.

I think it's this:

Jets keep Sheldon Richardson at $8m, in another non-contending season, because again nobody will pony up Maccagnan's unrealistic line in the sand demand for a player with high contract demands.

They are due to then get a conditional draft pick in 2019, when he leaves the Jets as a UFA. That ends up being nothing, though, because he's going to sign enough qualifying UFAs next spring to cancel out Sheldon's loss. 

1 hour ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Why would having 4 4-3 DTs be a smarter thing, fellas? They need speed on the edge in either defense. Leo, Mo, and Sheldon aren't 4-3 DEs they are DTs. Either way, they have three similar players for two spots. Giving Mo that massive deal was a mistake. One of them has to go and Sheldon is the easiest to get rid of. 

Leo can play any position on the Dline in any defense game except maybe NT but I'm confident in him being a LE in a 4-3 Defense ..   Sheldon an Mo would go inside to DT.. u get a nice speed Rusher to play RE. And u got ur classic 4 man front line 

4 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

Leo can play any position on the Dline in any defense game except maybe NT but I'm confident in him being a LE in a 4-3 Defense ..   Sheldon an Mo would translation to DT.. u get a nice speed Rusher to play RE. And u got ur classic 4 man front line 

Cool. What what about McClendon who makes 4 million? And Simon? And the linebackers they have brought in the last two seasons? Whole new defense? Not likely. 

Wait, so we can't question Richardson's "effort"?

Huh? Shouldn't effort also be measured in what you do off the field also? In that manner, Richardson's effort has been half assed at best. And that is exactly why he will not bring as much back in a trade as what he was bought for. And that is entirely on him.

Come now, is this really a guy you would feel comfortable with in giving a big contract, and expecting measurable return? Not me.

3 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Trading a proven NFL superstar for a "what if" draft pick especially the way the Jets draft is DUMB. 

So is throwing millions of dollars at a guy who has tons of talent but 0 character and discipline. You can have all the talent in the world but without discipline its worthless. Its a shame too. The guy could write his own ticket if he could just focus. Maybe a change of scenery is just what he needs to get him focused. Its about more than football too. His lack of discipline could wind up costing him his livelihood,freedom,and maybe even his life.

We won't get adequate compensation if we move him now.  Collins, who had a much better year last year, is a better overall player  and was cheaper, was traded at the same time for a fourth rounder that became a late third rounder.  Here it's likely that we are looking at a late fourth at best, and probably a fifth if we are being honest.

Sheldon simply carries to much risk for teams given his extracurriculars, so the value is in keeping him on the roster, rehabilitating his image and then settling for the comp pick which could be a 3 if he plays lights out.

7 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Poor MacCagnan, now he has to trade the 2nd or 3rd best player on the roster... because the defensive savant we hired as a head coach, couldn't figure out how to use him.

Woe is me.

Of course he did. Bowles was the 1st HC in NFL history to deploy a 295 lb linebacker. Unreal.

18 hours ago, AFJF said:

I mean, it does suck, doesn't it?

Not very often you see a player as talented as Sheldon being shopped.

I'd say pretty good odds he makes a few pro-bowls while Mac hopes the player he takes with that pick is starter material.

Happens quite often, no? Hell, Maccagnan was shopping Mo for the past 2 offseasons before this. More often the original team gets nothing, though, as they let the player simply hit free agency. That's how high-priced FAs - ones more accomplished, and pricier, than Sheldon Richardson - hit the market in the first place. Getting something for him is better than getting nothing for him.

They have more than enough 300+ pound defensive linemen. They don't need a 6th one at $8m, when they couldn't make it work when it was $3m, unless they plan on only defending the run from now on.

He did take a player to replace him that is starter material: Leonard Williams. Then he re-signed another: Mo Wilkerson. He doesn't need all 3, and didn't need to foolishly carry all 3 for the past 2 seasons either. 

13 hours ago, Jetfan13 said:

1st rounder or nothing. He is cheap right now, take a chance on him growing up. If he proves himself, get a 1st next year or tag him. STOP GIVING AWAY OUR FUTURE STARS. And find a place for him on the line.

He's $8m this coming year, his option year. Not that cheap. $8m AND a first rounder for a one year deal with a guy who could get himself a one year ban before training camp? If Macc pulls that off he should get GM of the Year on the spot, no debate.

I think either we'll get a middling pick this year and a conditional next year, or a better conditional next year. So a low 3rd / high 4th this year and possibly same next year, or a conditional 3rd next year that could become a 2nd. Something like that.

10 hours ago, BigRy56 said:

Moving Sheldon would be huge this off-season. He will NOT be here long term.

This is the key point.  There is no "adequate compensation" for SR for which trading him is not worth it.   The highest price is worth it.  Let teams bid for him.

The key is freeing his cap room, which can only happen with a trade.  His salary is otherwise guaranteed

He is not the last piece for a 2017 Jets playoff run.  He walks in 2018 leaving the Jets with a 3rd or 4th round comp pick-at the end of those rounds.

If someone offered the Jets a 2017 (deep draft) 3rd Round pick for him, that is a steal-they must take it.

Think about the moves the Jets made in the last few years thinking they could contend.  Some team will pick up SR thinking it can get them into the playoffs or deep therein.  The Falcolns, the Cowboys.  It is a good point.  He should be very motivated to perform next year in his contract year.  That team can then tag him.   SR should be a very valuable asset.

I have been willing to defend Macc and give him the benefit of the doubt on his draft picks.  But his ability to "wheel and deal" has been suspect.  He needed to move Mo, and then not moving MO, move Sheldon   He should be kicking himself for not taking the Cowboys second round pick, and quite frankly so the Cowboys should be too.  Maybe we set them up with a date at the Combine.

The Jets will be much better off over the next 3 seasons if SRs 2017 money was applied to signing FA CBs (Gilmore or Johnson), S (Jefferson-can he play with Adams?) and LT (Okung) than keeping SR.

2 hours ago, jamesr said:

He's $8m this coming year, his option year. Not that cheap. $8m AND a first rounder for a one year deal with a guy who could get himself a one year ban before training camp? If Macc pulls that off he should get GM of the Year on the spot, no debate.

I think either we'll get a middling pick this year and a conditional next year, or a better conditional next year. So a low 3rd / high 4th this year and possibly same next year, or a conditional 3rd next year that could become a 2nd. Something like that.

After we cut Gulchrist we are about $36 mil under the cap.  Cutting Harris takes us to $45 milion

Sheldon at $8 mil is better or as good as any mid-level FA we would get who btw would also need multiple years guaranteed

17 hours ago, Scoop24 said:

Richardson does too much dumb sh*t .. you gotta be nervous throwing big money his way regardless of his talent ..  I fine with them taking the safe bet in Mo and Leo ..  what I'm not fine with is trading Richardson for the third round pick . He is way to good a player for that value 

I'm of the belief you don't pay 12-15 million for a defensive guy who doesn't play corner or doesn't get sacks.

2 hours ago, thadude said:

After we cut Gulchrist we are about $36 mil under the cap.  Cutting Harris takes us to $45 milion

Sheldon at $8 mil is better or as good as any mid-level FA we would get who btw would also need multiple years guaranteed

The comment about cheap was made in the context of it being a bargaining chip in a trade ... the idea being that another team would be getting him cheap as he's still on his rookie deal. My comment was pointing out that $8m is not exactly cheap when packaged with a draft pick.

Archived