Jets release Darrelle Revis

Matt39

14 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Starting secondary

Safeties: Pryor and Hooker/Adams

CBs: Burris, FA (Trumaine Johnson), Skrine

I'd like the Jets to cut Skrine and Gilchrist and let Williams walk. I'd love for them to trade down to #12 overall with the Browns, taking S.Jones-CB, Washington. I really like Middleton- specifically as a FS and I think he should get a shot to start. 

Safeties: Middleton, Pryor

CB: T.Johnson (FA), Burris, S.Jones (rookie), D.Roberts, Marshall (returner/depth), UDFA/McDougle/Keeton/whoever

Oldest player in the secondary will be T.Johnson, a proven, talented, balanced CB who can play on the outside and is only 27. 

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

1. The owner is going to be in a foreign country now, far away from the media scrutiny. 

2. If the owner isn't concerned, that trickles down

Gotcha, so the only reason for the "rebuild" is Woody being made ambassador?  You can't make this up!

Also, and I can't say for sure, because I have only been in Heathrow on a layover, but I'm pretty sure they have internet there, which is how I get my news.

Just now, gEYno said:

Gotcha, so the only reason for the "rebuild" is Woody being made ambassador?  You can't make this up!

Also, and I can't say for sure, because I have only been in Heathrow on a layover, but I'm pretty sure they have internet there, which is how I get my news.

I compare it to Steinbrenner being suspended in the early 90s. Yankees built their dynasty during that period.

There's a difference from being in the center of an earthquake and being on the outskirts

4 minutes ago, gEYno said:

It's 4:18pm London, how on earth do you think he could possibly care about the Jets anymore? 

Question for the other legal beagles on the site:

Is there an offset provision in Revis' contract (or league rules or anything) that would offset any or all of the $6 million the Jets owe Revis if he is signed to a new contract by another team?   If so, then what's the fuss about the $6 million?

I've read conflicting statements on this.

8 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

I compare it to Steinbrenner being suspended in the early 90s. Yankees built their dynasty during that period.

There's a difference from being in the center of an earthquake and being on the outskirts

I'm sure Woody felt like he was in the center of the earthquake in his 90M manhattan apartment...

He's not a Kardashian... Lets not act like TMZ is chasing him around asking him tough questions about Christian Hackenberg.

He'll read the same news in England that he read in his penthouse, now maybe with scones instead of a bagel.

1 minute ago, gEYno said:

I'm sure Woody felt like he was in the center of the earthquake in his 90M manhattan apartment...

He's not a Kardashian... Lets not act like TMZ is chasing him around asking him tough questions about Christian Hackenberg.

He'll read the same news in England that he read in his penthouse, now maybe with scones instead of a bagel.

It's not just newspapers, (and I dont think you can get the NY Post and Daily News in London)  It's WFAN and SNY too. 

15 hours ago, Blaq218 said:

HOF CB and one of the greatest Jets of all time. Wish it didn't come to this but we are better off without him.

agreed !..  time to move on  B)

cheers ~ ~ 

:beer:

17 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Question for the other legal beagles on the site:

Is there an offset provision in Revis' contract (or league rules or anything) that would offset any or all of the $6 million the Jets owe Revis if he is signed to a new contract by another team?   If so, then what's the fuss about the $6 million?

I've read conflicting statements on this.

The previous reports were that there is offset language.  While that could be a positive to the Jets if he is signed, there are two possible downsides to that when it comes to Revis.  If any offers he gets are for less than $6M, that would ultimately mean he would not make any more money for playing than he would if he just sat out, which could be enough to convince him to take the year off.  The only incentive for him to still play in that case would be if he thinks he could parlay it into another payday in 2018.

On the flip side, if he still decides to play in such a scenario, he could very easily screw the Jets over by taking a vet min contract, ultimately knowing he'll make the same amount of money while helping his new team out, at the expense of the Jets.  Basically, the best case scenario for the Jets is if there is a team willing to offer Revis more than $6M this year, as in that case it will be extra motivation for Revis to take the deal, while saving the Jets all their money.  We'll have to see how that all goes.

Just now, UnitedWhofans said:

It's not just newspapers, (and I dont think you can get the NY Post and Daily News in London)  It's WFAN and SNY too. 

No?  So the post and daily news websites don't work there?  WFAN doesn't stream?  Point being, if he's as obsessed with his own press as you claim, he has easy access to it.  You just have your narrative so whatever makes it work, right?

Just now, Bleedin Green said:

On another note, I wouldn't be at all surprised if we see Revis sign some sort of 2 year contract that pays him the minimum this year with all sorts of guarantees next year.  I just hope his ego is too big to play that sort of game.

Wouldn't surprise me in the least. He learned a lot from his Uncle Gilbert.

Just now, gEYno said:

No?  So the post and daily news websites don't work there?  WFAN doesn't stream?  Point being, if he's as obsessed with his own press as you claim, he has easy access to it.  You just have your narrative so whatever makes it work, right?

He may have easy access to it, but it's not going to be in his face 24/7. There will be no inundation. 

Here’s why a Darrelle Revis-Patriots reunion makes sense 

Bill Belichick is smart enough to find a use for Darrelle Revis and could stick it to Jets at same time.

Bill Belichick is smart enough to find a use for Darrelle Revis and could stick it to Jets at same time.

(STEVEN SENNE/AP)

Now that the Jets have turned Revis Island into Gilligan’s Island, Darrelle Revis is shipwrecked without a team, his best football in the past and perhaps no more good days on the field in his future.

“He’s just a guy,” one NFL personnel source said Wednesday. “It’s over. He doesn’t make a difference on anybody’s team. He’s an imposter.”

Well, that’s a harsh assessment.

“It’s like having a guy batting fourth who was hitting 40-50 home runs and now he’s only hitting 20 home runs and striking out,” he said. “You can’t overpay this guy. I wouldn’t pay him anything over the minimum.”

Will Capt. Belichick from the S.S. Hoodie throw Revis a life raft with the Jets announcing they will cut him next week?

“It’s the only team that makes sense,” the source said.

Revis still has value because of his ball skills and his smarts. It will take a creative defensive coach on a winning team to find a role for him. Know anybody like that?

I think a return to New England actually makes a lot of sense. The Jets owe Revis $6 million guaranteed this season. No team is going to pay him more than that, or even close to that, to lessen the Jets financial burden.

But I can imagine this reunion: Bill Belichick brings him back to the Patriots and pays him the $1 million veteran minimum. The Jets would then have to pick up the other $5 million. Belichick could do this just out of spite. He hates the Jets that much. Woody Johnson would have to pay Revis $5 million to play for the Patriots. How delicious would that be for Belichick?

The Jets dump Darrelle Revis after his miserable season and most teams will shy away from aging star.

The Jets dump Darrelle Revis after his miserable season and most teams will shy away from aging star.

(AARON M. SPRECHER/AP)

Revis played an important role in Belichick’s Super Bowl defense in 2014, but has lost so much in the last two years that he might want no part of him, even as a nickel corner, a nickel safety, free safety or the second corner if they lose free agent Logan Ryan, whose agents, by the way, are Revis’ former agents.

Revis’ tape from last season will prevent some teams from considering him. His name and reputation could be enough for others to figure he’s worth a look in training camp. If a small bidding war arises, maybe he gets a minimal signing bonus. If Revis decides to continue playing, he presumably will be motivated to write a better ending to his career.

Remember, teams always need corners and Revis could have a bounce back season. Slot corner makes no much sense because he’s not quick enough to stop slippery guys like Julian Edelman.

So, what’s next?

First, it will be interesting if any team touches Revis before his legal situation – he faces four felony charges – for the recent Pittsburgh street fight gets resolved.

Revis is from Pittsburgh so perhaps the Steelers will think playing at home will get him excited. One problem for Revis is so many of his former coaches are out of the league right now: Eric Mangini, Rex Ryan, Dennis Thurman, Mike Pettine.

Mike Tannenbaum, the Dolphins VP, drafted Revis in 2007 when he was the Jets GM and might enjoy having the contract leverage this time. Atlanta’s Dan Quinn was the Jets defensive line coach in Revis’ first two seasons, so maybe he tries to revive the good old days.

Revis has always chased the money and always won the race: He was the best cover corner in the NFL. He even got the Bucs to pay him $16 million in 2013 although he was coming off a torn ACL with the Jets. Revis convinced Belichick to have Robert Kraft write him a $12 million check in 2014 and he helped the Patriots win their first Super Bowl in 10 years. But he had no desire to give Revis a huge contract after that season.

Darrelle Revis previously spend one season with the Patriots, helping New England to Super Bowl win after 2014 season.

Darrelle Revis previously spend one season with the Patriots, helping New England to Super Bowl win after 2014 season.

(CHRISTIAN PETERSEN/GETTY IMAGES)

Revis talked Johnson into $39 million guaranteed two years ago when Johnson had no idea all the money Revis had already made and his new Super Bowl ring had ripped two essential ingredients right out of him: His heart and desire. He played complacent.

He’s never been a burner, but his inability to be physical at the line of scrimmage – his surgically repaired wrist robbed him of that talent – exposed his lack of speed last season. Without getting bumped, receivers ran past him. It’s no given he can make the switch to safety. Remember, safeties have to hit. Revis no longer likes to hit.

Thurman, who coached Revis four years with the Jets, told the Daily News on Wednesday he feels Revis can still play. “The question is whether he feels he can still play,” he said. “When I watched him last season, I felt like, as with any corner, when you lose your confidence, it’s hard for you. The one-on-one matchup is what you live for when you play on the corner. You accept it. It’d part of your DNA. When the time comes that he doesn’t welcome the challenge, it’s time to get off the corner. He got his confidence hurt early and he never really recovered from it.”

Thurman moved from corner to safety in his career with the Cowboys. Ronnie Lott was switched from corner to his natural safety spot early on by the 49ers. Rod Woodson and Charles Woodson made successful transitions from corner to safety late in their careers.

“Most of the corners who move to safety don’t make it,” Thurman said. “If Darrelle is going to go inside and play safety, he has to go back to where he was willing to tackle when he was younger. It’s not as easy as it sounds. Early in his career he was a good tackler. Then he had a couple of concussions and his tackling slipped.”

Thurman thinks Revis won’t have a problem reading plays from the middle of the field. He’s a student of the game. The personnel source says he wouldn’t want Revis at safety.

“He doesn’t play the run. He doesn’t like to tackle,” he said. “You can put him in the middle of the field on third and long. So how many plays do you have for him each week? Six? He can do it in terms of nickel safety. But at safety in a base defense he’s got to play physical. There is a point where you got to hit somebody. He’s not going to hit somebody. If you run a draw and Revis is the last guy between him and pay dirt? He’s the last guy I want between the runner and pay dirt.”

Revis used to leave receivers stranded on Revis Island. Now he’s the one that needs a life raft.

13 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

2 years, $39m.

For a 30 year old CB, on a rebuilding team without a known starting QB.

Once upon a time - before his knee injury - he was pretty much the best player I ever saw. 

Him and Lawrence Taylor. 

9 hours ago, JetFaninMI said:

LOL. Revis will end up in Pittsburgh.......in court at least......... and in jail if convicted. He won't be convicted as we all know but I couldn't resist.

Bye Darryl. You pissed me off when you went to the Pats and I thought it was stupid to give you a boatload of cash AFTER you got your ring. Seems like everything went down hill for you after that. Good Luck and thanks for the effort.

Who is Darryl? Darryl Dixon?

13 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

Him and Lawrence Taylor. 

Yep. But for a CB to be that good, after they made all those do-not-touch rules because Ty Law manhandled NFL poster/golden boy Peyton Manning's targets, it was pretty much impossible to be a shut down corner. He still did it, against the very best receivers in the game. Honestly I still don't understand how it happened.

Plus contrary to claims (even by Jets fans who ought to have known better), QBs did not just stay away from his side of the field a la his contemporary Asomugha (or Deion in the 90s). They threw his way; it just ended up being a waste of a down (except for, I think it was, Stevie Johnson a bit). 

Revis can reject offers for less than $6 million, without consequence...The $6 million payment contains offset language

Posted by Mike Florio on March 6, 2017, 9:54 AM EST

Two years ago, as cornerback Darrelle Revis rocketed toward free agency, one of the worst-kept secrets in the league was the intent of the Jets to arrange a reunion. With a second divorce now looming, there’s hardly any buzz about Darrelle’s next destination.

Revis has some protection against lack of interest; his contract with the Jets pays him $6 million fully guaranteed for 2017. The Jets have protection against his protection. The $6 million payment contains offset language, creating a dollar-for-dollar credit based on anything Revis earns elsewhere.

But what if Revis is offered only $4 million? Can he choose to do nothing and take $6 million from the Jets in lieu of taking the offer — and helping the Jets save $4 million?

Per a source with knowledge of the Revis contract with the Jets, it contains no language requiring him to accept other work. This means that he can choose to reject any offer that he receives, and that the Jets can’t try to reduce their obligation to him if he opts not to take whatever he can get.

For Revis, then, the question becomes whether he’d play for less than what he’d get for not playing, whether he’d play for the same as what he’d get for not playing, and possibly whether he’d choose to take $6 million not to play versus, say, $8 million to play.

Ultimately, the Jets are on the hook for $6 million unless he signs a new contract. For anything less than $6 million, however, why should he work for free?

• 2 weeks later...

Karen Guregian‏ @kguregian Patriots beat columnist for the Boston Herald

While Revis might be pondering a move to safety, word is Bill Belichick told him a few years ago he didn't think his skillset translated.

Jason Cole‏ @JasonColeBR  

100% true

17 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Karen Guregian‏ @kguregian Patriots beat columnist for the Boston Herald

While Revis might be pondering a move to safety, word is Bill Belichick told him a few years ago he didn't think his skillset translated.

Jason Cole‏ @JasonColeBR  

100% true

Based on the last two seasons, it doesn't look like his skillset translates to anything on the football field.

I think Revis ends up in Dallas on a cheap deal. Dallas lost both starting corners, and will no doubt be active in taking CBs in the draft. Revis can be a hold-the-fort mediocre to bad stop gap while attracting even more attention to Jerry Jones and the Cowboys, just what Jones loves.  Dallas makes the most sense for Revis.  Jones can sign him for the $1 million 10 year vet minimum and only get a $500,000 cap hit from it (Veteran Cap minimum benefit rule https://www.spotrac.com/blog/nfl-minimum-salaries-for-2016-and-the-veteran-cap-benefit-rule/), Revis can collect $5 million from the Jets and the Jets would regain $1 million in cap space.

sign me up

41 minutes ago, Dcat said:

I think Revis ends up in Dallas on a cheap deal. Dallas lost both starting corners, and will no doubt be active in taking CBs in the draft. Revis can be a hold-the-fort mediocre to bad stop gap while attracting even more attention to Jerry Jones and the Cowboys, just what Jones loves.  Dallas makes the most sense for Revis.  Jones can sign him for the $1 million 10 year vet minimum and only get a $500,000 cap hit from it (Veteran Cap minimum benefit rule https://www.spotrac.com/blog/nfl-minimum-salaries-for-2016-and-the-veteran-cap-benefit-rule/), Revis can collect $5 million from the Jets and the Jets would regain $1 million in cap space.

sign me up

maybe.  he's going to get 6 milion whether he plays or not but after this season the jets are done.  so he signs for the vet minimum and uses the season to showcase his talents.  it's like he's playing for a contract for next season. i don't know if he's ever had to play for a contract before.

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

maybe.  he's going to get 6 milion whether he plays or not but after this season the jets are done.  so he signs for the vet minimum and uses the season to showcase his talents.  it's like he's playing for a contract for next season. i don't know if he's ever had to play for a contract before.

Everyone watched him doggit last season, avoid contact, play 15 yards off the receiver. Put in zero effort all for 17 mill per.

He's done collecting fat cheques, his hearts not in it. He stole money last year, decline is fine, it not trying I hate. He's never getting near my top 5 Jets, maybe even my top 10, total douche.

2 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

Everyone watched him doggit last season, avoid contact, play 15 yards off the receiver. Put in zero effort all for 17 mill per.

He's done collecting fat cheques, his hearts not in it. He stole money last year, decline is fine, it not trying I hate. He's never getting near my top 5 Jets, maybe even my top 10, total douche.

still, if he signs anywhere, i hope it's outside of the afce. i agree that he didn't have much motivation last season much now that he would playing for a future py day he might put the effort in.

I think there's a good chance he sits out most of the season. Jets get only a negligible offset. Revis doesn't have to participate in camp, or risk injury for a full season, for essentially zero dollars.

He gets into shape and stays such and after we're into the season he then signs with a contender who just lost a CB to injury. While he'd take a few weeks to get up to game speed, Revis is fresh, playing against guys with bruises and nagging injuries from the prior 2-3 consecutive months of practices and games. Looks pretty good in late November into December and the playoffs.

That's his best chance for a good payday past this season without playing a whole football season (not to mention all those weeks of training camp which all veterans hate) for free.

More smoke about Revis to pats*

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/theres-buzz-about-a-darrelle-revis-patriots-reunion-but-theres-one-big-obstacle/

Jets should put a vet minimum offer on the table since they are the only team that could offer him more $ then the offset, it would be equivalent to a 7m deal elsewhere

Revis is in no way the kind of guy who will put in a single ounce of effort without getting paid plenty more for it.  So in all likelihood the options are he either sits the year out, with only perhaps a late arrival on the season in attempt to earn himself a 2018 contract as Sperm suggested, or goes for an oddly structured contract that will be designed to screw over the Jets and get Revis more money, while costing the new team less (thus, their incentive to agree to it).

Something along the lines of a 2-year contract with the first year at vet minimum, then the second year having another $2-3M guaranteed with no offset language, and the total salary being some crazy high number.  The ultimate result is then that either the team keeps Revis on that high-priced second year (doubtful), and he's thrilled, or more likely, he gets cut and gets $5M from the Jets and $3-4M from the new team for his 2017 season, then goes on to see who else will throw money at him.  The only way this wouldn't work is if the offset language in the contract covers all guarantees, but I'd imagine it only accounts for money paid this year.  Otherwise, there are other ways this could possibly be worked out (e.g., performance bonuses Revis could easily lock down), depending on how all the offset language is setup.  I just can't see any scenario where Revis does anything that he isn't convinced will get him more money very soon.

Archived