Was Darrelle Revis the best Jets defensive player ever?

Sarge4Tide

Revis  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Darrelle Revis was the best defensive player in the history of the New York Jets

• Strongly Agree
    • Agree
    • Neutral / No Opinion
    • Disagree
    • Strongly Disagree

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Revis had years that reminded me of Lem Barney. He was that good. His crash was bad. From the time he shut down TO in that Turkey Day game. I knew he was something special. Hard for me to compare him the JK. CB is easier to dominate at when they do not throw to your side. 

Gerry Philbin got his ring with the Jets. He is still my favorite defender

2 hours ago, Jetdawgg said:

Revis had years that reminded me of Lem Barney. He was that good. His crash was bad. From the time he shut down TO in that Turkey Day game. I knew he was something special. Hard for me to compare him the JK. CB is easier to dominate at when they do not throw to your side. 

Gerry Philbin got his ring with the Jets. He is still my favorite defender

Holy Cow, can't believe you mentioned Lem Barney. Had a picture of him in my room as a kid calling for a fair catch... Lem Barney was a great punt returner too, knew he was a great corner, but didn't know he was a shut down corner like Revis. In any case, Revis was great when he was here at the beginning, but it seems like so long ago (not as long as Lem Barney)...  and those memories of Revis being great have faded, just like his skills.

5 hours ago, roscoeword said:

Holy Cow, can't believe you mentioned Lem Barney. Had a picture of him in my room as a kid calling for a fair catch... Lem Barney was a great punt returner too, knew he was a great corner, but didn't know he was a shut down corner like Revis. In any case, Revis was great when he was here at the beginning, but it seems like so long ago (not as long as Lem Barney)...  and those memories of Revis being great have faded, just like his skills.

Lem Barney was the real deal

it tough to say because each position has it's own requirements.  overall i'd say klecko but there is no doubt revis is/was the best corner the jets (or maybe any team) ever had.  klecko left the jets because of injuriy, he still hd plenty of fire.  revis is leaving because the clock is just running out.

1 hour ago, Obrien2Toon said:

I know every one is anti Revis now, but I always thought he was way overrated.

I would've taken A. Glenn over him anyday.   At least Glenn made some big plays every once in awhile

I am not sure I would take Glenn over Revis. But those of us that remember A. Glenn remember a shutdown corner.  Glenn took away whatever side of the field he was playing on....

This is the same question as the Hall of Fame one.  Depends how you measure "best."

Revis definitely had the best season, even seasons, ever.  But, Revis was "the best" for a short period of time, relatively.  So, do you prioritize a great player who was great for a while, or an elite player, who was elite for a much shorter period of time?

2 hours ago, Obrien2Toon said:

I would've taken A. Glenn over him anyday.   At least Glenn made some big plays every once in awhile

Glenn was really good, underrated. 

Revis was way better than Glenn.  Made more play's and wasn't beaten anywhere near as often. 

20 minutes ago, gEYno said:

FWIW, and I'm going to duck after saying this... If I have the opportunity to draft Darelle Revis or John Abraham right now, I might draft Abraham.

Here comes the first rock........Revis never asked out of a playoff game.

he's the best PLAYER in team history so of course he is the best defender and it's really not close.

before I get jumped on this doesn't mean he was the most important, we all know that was Joe, but he was the best player to ever play for the New York Jets in their prime.

Just now, nyjunc said:

he's the best PLAYER in team history so of course he is the best defender and it's really not close.

before I get jumped on this doesn't mean he was the most important, we all know that was Joe, but he was the best player to ever play for the New York Jets in their prime.

Joe Namath says wut up

I love Joe Klecko, every Jet fan should BUT he tends to get a little overrated by Jet fans.  Revis is a lock HOFer, Klecko belongs(when you consider all the guys that get in that don't belong) but may never make it.

1 minute ago, thadude said:

Joe Namath says wut up

Joe was most important player, I'm not sure Joe is top 10 as far as best player. he had very few healthy/great seasons and most of his career was actually mediocre.  Much of that to do w/ health but durability does count.

1 minute ago, nyjunc said:

Joe was most important player, I'm not sure Joe is top 10 as far as best player. he had very few healthy/great seasons and most of his career was actually mediocre.  Much of that to do w/ health but durability does count.

Ironic that you make the longevity argument when Revis really only had 2-3 "great" years (much of it with Rex and his blitz schemes even Brady and Manning had difficulty with) 

Namath is the greatest Jet ever.  Bottom Line

3 hours ago, Obrien2Toon said:

giphy.gif

Aaron Glenn is one of the most overrated players in Jets history.  he was a quality corner but nothing special, he would get roasted by big time WRs while Revis completely shut them down and let's not forget we made our 1998 run WITHOUT Glenn who got hurt on a day where Joey Galloway abused him against Seattle and he was basically done for the year.

the funny thing is Revis is known for shutting down opposing #1s and not for INTs or TDs BUT Glenn in basically 8 full seasons had 24 INts and 3 INT TDs while Revis in basically 7 full seasons had 25 INts and 3 INT TDs so not only was he vastly superior at shutting guys down he was a better playmaker even though he had far fewer opportunities b/c opposing QBs were scared to throw his way unlike Glenn who was picked on all the time.

2 minutes ago, thadude said:

Ironic that you make the longevity argument when Revis really only had 2-3 "great" years (much of it with Rex and his blitz schemes even Brady and Manning had difficulty with) 

Namath is the greatest Jet ever.  Bottom Line

Revis had 2-3 greatest corner of all time seasons and only one bad season.  Joe never had all time great seasons and had a ton of bad seasons.  Revis is light years ahead of Namath as far as play on the field.

Namath is the geratest jet for what he meant to the franchise, Revis is the greatest PLAYER.

So hard because I didnt get to see the older players like Klecko week in and week out. The biggest part of this for me is that he was such a pain in the ass with the holdout, contracts,winning a ring with the Pats and this terrible effortless last season that I cant give an unbiased opinion. Meh Revis

Archived