If the Jets go into full rebuild mode, what does that tell you?

NoBowles

To me, it tells me that Woody gave Mac and Bowles the order to try a short compete now with a focus on building towards the future, and this was a Woody initiative, not a Mac initiative.

If it were a Mac initiative, I think we would see Mac in complete salvage his job mode and trying to do everything he can to win now. I see no way Woody would give him a clean slate unless this was Woodys orders.

I know all of the die hard Idzik supporters love to bash everything Mac does, but I have felt all along this was our sh*tty owner. I can only hope that our sh*tty owner is starting to see the error of his ways, and that Mac is better than he appears.

5 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

To me, it tells me that Woody gave Mac and Bowles the order to try a short compete now with a focus on building towards the future, and this was a Woody initiative, not a Mac initiative.

If it were a Mac initiative, I think we would see Mac in complete salvage his job mode and trying to do everything he can to win now. I see no way Woody would give him a clean slate unless this was Woodys orders.

I know all of the die hard Idzik supporters love to bash everything Mac does, but I have felt all along this was our sh*tty owner. I can only hope that our sh*tty owner is starting to see the error of his ways, and that Mac is better than he appears.

I think we are going to see Mac trying to do everything he can to win now though. I'd be shocked if the Jets aren't big players in FA with all the players they are cutting and cap room they are creating. I think they're tooling up to make a big splash on the market.

Assuming the Jets don't try to take this money and do some crazy spending in FA, which could still happen, it likely means that at least Maccagnan has been told that he has some job security if they go into rebuild mode.  Of course, that could also easily change if by year's end it looks like his 3 years of decisions was terrible across the board.  It might not mean much of anything in either direction in regards to Bowles, considering these aren't his calls to make, but I'd imagine he's in a similar situation.

On the flip side, if these guys think their jobs are on the line, things could change very quickly in the coming weeks.

7 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

Cutting unproductive veterans with huge salaries is not going into "rebuild mode"

100% agree. 

This is not a 'complete rebuild'. You will see the Jets as major players in FA. Revis, Gilchrist and Maybe Skrine will get cut and I think the Jets will go after one of the top CB FAs and go after a CB early in the draft (one of their pick Rd. 1-3).

I think they will re-sign W.Johnson and go after a FA LT- Okung was immediately mentioned as a target when he got cut loose.

Once all is said and done, this will be a roster with a combination of highly paid vets and cheaper young players. Much like almost every NFL team.

The question is- will the young players be able to take the next step and will the vets perform up to their salaries. In 2015, they did (for the most part). In 2016 they did not (for the most part).

The other, bigger question is one that has haunted the Jets for years- will they have a legit starting QB at the helm that can win games. I truly believe Hack can be that guy, but he will have to take a leap forward. Otherwise, this will be another year like any other for the Jets, all the pieces seem to be there- but without good QB play, they will be going nowhere.  

2 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Agreed, Maccagnan cutting all the terrible players he signed to exorbitant contracts proves he is actually a genius

I don't understand the praise for these moves. I wish i had the kind of job where i get praised for cutting my losses on an unmitigated disaster. They blew their load on a bunch of mediocre players and overpaid returning vets. They've bungled the whole DLine situation and the baffling thing on top of that is how three or four adult human beings didn't see a red flag with todd bowles before hiring him. 

But what else is new, this franchise is so poorly run that they'll probably end up in a new 4-12 to 10-6 vortex for another ten years. 

3 minutes ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

I don't understand the praise for these moves. I wish i had the kind of job where i get praised for cutting my losses on an unmitigated disaster. They blew their load on a bunch of mediocre players and overpaid returning vets. They've bungled the whole DLine situation and the baffling thing on top of that is how three or four adult human beings didn't see a red flag with todd bowles before hiring him. 

But what else is new, this franchise is so poorly run that they'll probably end up in a new 4-12 to 10-6 vortex for another ten years. 

Where's the praise? Not seeing it?

Mac is going to get sunk by the coach he is forced to deal with and did not pick.

After gaining this cap space we can then judge what they do with it.  If they go for value younger fa (like carpenter) then they are in rebuild mode.  If thye succumb to the tempation of big dollar old guys then we are back to square one.

No need to count the tea leaves like this.  We are a 2-14 club. 

Optimists tend to forget that the quarterback who got 4 of our 5 wins isn't coming back and Bryce Petty doesn't look like the second-coming of Joe Namath.

SAR I

8 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Agreed, Maccagnan cutting all the terrible players he signed to exorbitant contracts proves he is actually a genius

Mangold- not signed by Macc, Clady- not signed by Macc (that was a trade), Breno- not signed by Macc, Folk- not signed by Macc. So who exactly are you talking about? 

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

It tells me that they're morons who actually thought they had a chance with Ryan sh*tzpatrick and this is all 2 years too late. 

Mac didn't have the cojones to trade for Glennon last offseason so now we're stuck with a 195lb Inside Linebacker and dumb and dumber as the only Qb's on our roster

3 minutes ago, SAR I said:

No need to count the tea leaves like this.  We are a 2-14 club. 

Optimists tend to forget that the quarterback who got 4 of our 5 wins isn't coming back and Bryce Petty doesn't look like the second-coming of Mark Sanchez.

SAR I

We're signing a veteran QB and unless his name is Hoyer or McCown he will be significantly better than anyone on our roster last season

It tells me Woody has given Mac and Bowles the support to rebuild and do it the right way. He's obviously seen how it takes teams some time before they can really rebuild a team.

Now, if we don't see improvements and some progression I think Bowles is gone first, and Mac will be offered a chance to hire his own coach.

51 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

Assuming the Jets don't try to take this money and do some crazy spending in FA, which could still happen, it likely means that at least Maccagnan has been told that he has some job security if they go into rebuild mode.  Of course, that could also easily change if by year's end it looks like his 3 years of decisions was terrible across the board.  It might not mean much of anything in either direction in regards to Bowles, considering these aren't his calls to make, but I'd imagine he's in a similar situation.

On the flip side, if these guys think their jobs are on the line, things could change very quickly in the coming weeks.

Agree

1 hour ago, NoBowles said:

From your lips to the football Gods' ears.  

1 hour ago, Sarge4Tide said:

Cutting unproductive veterans with huge salaries is not going into "rebuild mode"

I don't disagree with the cuts, but I would disagree that Mangold was unproductive last season. He did not play poorly, we can only hope his replacement's ceiling is as good as Mangold's floor. Taking salary out of the equation, a young QB would have benefited from having Mangold here. 

Just now, Saul Goodman said:

I don't disagree with the cuts, but I would disagree that Mangold was unproductive last season. He did not play poorly, we can only hope his replacement's ceiling is as good as Mangold's floor. Taking salary of the equation, a young QB would have benefited from having Mangold here. 

watch the tapes again.  Mangold is not the same Mangold in the run game that he once was a force in.  He also declined in protection as the years rolled by.  Still adequate for sure, but definitely less than he was and surely less than his contract was worth.  

for me, this signals they're less likely to go after someone like aj mccarron or glennon and go all in with hackenberg and maybe a one-year stop gap guy like hoyer who would only be there to lose the first half of the season before they throw hackenberg in.  mccagnan will not save his job bringing in someone else's qbs.

39 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

I don't disagree with the cuts, but I would disagree that Mangold was unproductive last season. He did not play poorly, we can only hope his replacement's ceiling is as good as Mangold's floor. Taking salary out of the equation, a young QB would have benefited from having Mangold here. 

Mangold can still play at a very high level.  But look at him compared to an Alex Mack or other top Centers.  He is very, very heavy.  I think his weight/conditioning plus age makes it less likely he can play a full season.

3 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

for me, this signals they're less likely to go after someone like aj mccarron or glennon and go all in with hackenberg and maybe a one-year stop gap guy like hoyer who would only be there to lose the first half of the season before they throw hackenberg in.  mccagnan will not save his job bringing in someone else's qbs.

Maccarron has a year left on his contract.  If Cincinnati will trade him for one of our tradeables, that is a very attractive deal.  

Cincinnati is also in a "window" and should look to fill holes so they can compete in the next few years.

6 minutes ago, varjet said:

Mangold can still play at a very high level.  But look at him compared to an Alex Mack or other top Centers.  He is very, very heavy.  I think his weight/conditioning plus age makes it less likely he can play a full season.

Maccarron has a year left on his contract.  If Cincinnati will trade him for one of our tradeables, that is a very attractive deal.  

Cincinnati is also in a "window" and should look to fill holes so they can compete in the next few years.

the issue is not whether it makes sense for cincy to deal mccarron.  the issue is if the jets are in full rebuild, what does that mean?  to me, it means the jets will not look to other teams for the long-term solution at qb.  

1 hour ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

This and then some...

To answer the OP, a full rebuild is laughable at this point. Since we know that Todd Bowltite is a horrible HC who will be gone January 15 2018, I ask what the point is of "rebuilding" without changing the biggest problem we have? The whole thing makes as much sense as a 1.3 trillion dollar infrastructure bill while cutting Corporate and personal income taxes

1 hour ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

Rule 1: Always have an exit strategy. He had one

1 hour ago, thadude said:

We're signing a veteran QB and unless his name is Hoyer or McCown he will be significantly better than anyone on our roster last season

Well then, that's not "full rebuild mode" now is it?

To do this right, we have to validate the most important position on the field, not fill it with a guy that has already proven he can't win anything.

SAR I

Archived