2017 Salary Cap: $167 million

Integrity28

Jets at $26 million under the cap with more cuts likely coming, almost equal to the amount I'd have if given a nickel for every time I saw somebody say "but they have no cap room to sign free agents" over the past few months.

8 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Jets at $26 million under the cap with more cuts likely coming, almost equal to the amount I'd have if given a nickel for every time I saw somebody say "but they have no cap room to sign free agents" over the past few months.

There really my aren't many free agents that are going to help this dumpster fire, especially at the projected price points.   

This team is going young and building through the draft.  It's always a good idea on paper but it comes down to ability to draft and player / scheme fit which is a bit concerning b/c it doesn't seem like Macc and Bowles are on the same page at all. 

How much of this do the jets have to spend in order to keep with that league rule where you need to spend X % of your salary cap?  

I think most here agree it's time to build through the draft, but if we have to spend money on FAs, who would they be?

4 minutes ago, LionelRichie said:

There really my aren't many free agents that are going to help this dumpster fire, especially at the projected price points.   

This team is going young and building through the draft.  It's always a good idea on paper but it comes down to ability to draft and player / scheme fit which is a bit concerning b/c it doesn't seem like Macc and Bowles are on the same page at all. 

Nobody that will help them win right away, but still a young player or two who can be brought in to (hopefully) be a part of a winner down the road.

I'm also not sold on the fact that this team won't be decent with the right moves.

However, if the Jets are happy to win 3 or 4 games next season to take a QB at no. 1, then start Hack and they'll be well on their way.

8 minutes ago, bgivs21 said:

How much of this do the jets have to spend in order to keep with that league rule where you need to spend X % of your salary cap?  

I think most here agree it's time to build through the draft, but if we have to spend money on FAs, who would they be?

That spending percentage is over a 3 year period so, given that they were up against the cap both of the past 2, I can't possibly imagine there being any spending concerns for them this year.  Besides, if there were some, the Jets could easily fill that up without big FA spending if they wanted to, with simple renegotiation or new contracts for guys already on the roster, with a guy like Enunwa being a prime candidate for that.  Of course this doesn't mean they won't do any spending, they just don't have to.  I have to imagine they'll at least be looking at LTs and CBs anyway.

33 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Very true... but approximately  $8M goes to the draft, they try to keep $5M as precaution going into the season. With the cuts / not re-signing, they are vacating starting roles at the positions of CB, LT, RT, C, K, and QB, and most of the future cuts will also be starters.  With $13M as of right now, and possibly 6-10 starting roles to fill, finding low cost starters in free agency and the draft are going to be critical.

8 minutes ago, nyjbuddy said:

Very true... but approximately  $8M goes to the draft, they try to keep $5M as precaution going into the season. With the cuts / not re-signing, they are vacating starting roles at the positions of CB, LT, RT, C, K, and QB, and most of the future cuts will also be starters.  With $13M as of right now, and possibly 6-10 starting roles to fill, finding low cost starters in free agency and the draft are going to be critical.

Yes, but I think most expect more cuts to come.  If they part ways with Gilchrist and Marshall, which is a possibility, that's another $12-13 million off the books.

Then of course they can re-work some of the vet deals if they're desperate to free up a couple million at some point down the line.

7 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Yes, but I think most expect more cuts to come.  If they part ways with Gilchrist and Marshall, which is a possibility, that's another $12-13 million off the books.

Then of course they can re-work some of the vet deals if they're desperate to free up a couple million at some point down the line.

If the Jets are building for the future, they are running below the Cap this year, playing who they can, and then using cap space in the future to put them "over the top."

So the only players worth spending on our home grown and other FAs who are young and can help compete in 2018 and beyond.

Just now, varjet said:

If the Jets are building for the future, they are running below the Cap this year, playing who they can, and then using cap space in the future to put them "over the top."

So the only players worth spending on our home grown and other FAs who are young and can help compete in 2018 and beyond.

I predict they will sign some free agents no matter what the long-term plan is.  Despite the fears of several posters, they now have the money to do it.

Just now, AFJF said:

I predict they will sign some free agents no matter what the long-term plan is.  Despite the fears of several posters, they now have the money to do it.

The key is the type of free agent they sign. I will go on record and say that if they sign/acquire Romo or Cutler, I will withdraw my support for Macc.

Just now, UnitedWhofans said:

The key is the type of free agent they sign. I will go on record and say that if they sign/acquire Romo or Cutler, I will withdraw my support for Macc.

I don't think there's any way in hell that happens.

Glennon or draft pick Pett/Hack.

I expect the Jets to make serious runs at guys like Minters, Jefferson, Bouye/Gilmore. I think we will reach out to Hightower but ultimately he will resign with the Patriots.

Signing guys like those will not take away from rebuilding, only accelerate the process. Those are all young, fast players who have proven that they can play at a high level in the league. All of them will most likely not command more money than the people they would be replacing as well.

1 minute ago, AFJF said:

I don't think there's any way in hell that happens.

Glennon or draft pick Pett/Hack.

i'd be surprised if they went after glennon.  that would basically say that mccags does not believe in hackenberg.  and is glennon really the guy who will eventually help the jets contend?  

i also don't think the jets are going to make splashy FA buys.  they're not going to do what mccags did when he got here and had to spend a lot of cash.  

Just now, Augustiniak said:

i'd be surprised if they went after glennon.  that would basically say that mccags does not believe in hackenberg.  and is glennon really the guy who will eventually help the jets contend?  

i also don't think the jets are going to make splashy FA buys.  they're not going to do what mccags did when he got here and had to spend a lot of cash.  

If the Jets pass up the chance to get a quality young QB because they already have Hackenberg, it would be on par with Idzik passing on Carr because he already had GeNOOOO.

Just now, AFJF said:

If the Jets pass up the chance to get a quality young QB because they already have Hackenberg, it would be on par with Idzik passing on Carr because he already had GeNOOOO.

But that's the problem. We don't know if he is quality. Glennon could easily be Brock Osweiler part II

Just now, UnitedWhofans said:

But that's the problem. We don't know if he is quality. Glennon could easily be Brock Osweiler part II

Based on what I've seen, he's far better than Brock IMO....and it's not even close.

1 minute ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Glennon is a 2-1 TD/INT guy (30-15) whereas Osweiller is almost 1/1 (26/22).  

Just now, AFJF said:

Based on what I've seen, he's far better than Brock IMO....and it's not even close.

this is where we have to hope mccagnan the pure scout has it right.  he was there in houston for years when their qbs sucked (they still suck).  they tried hoyer/fitz and failed.  so mccagnan knows that guys like this are desperate measures.  

while glennon is probably not as bad as osweiler, i still get the feeling mccagnan would rather risk his job on drafting and developing qbs than taking someone who rode pine for 3-4 years while only flashing in a few games where the expectation was very low.  usually, those guys don't pan out on the next team, usually you get scott mitchell and matt flynn and not steve young.  

17 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

this is where we have to hope mccagnan the pure scout has it right.  he was there in houston for years when their qbs sucked (they still suck).  they tried hoyer/fitz and failed.  so mccagnan knows that guys like this are desperate measures.  

while glennon is probably not as bad as osweiler, i still get the feeling mccagnan would rather risk his job on drafting and developing qbs than taking someone who rode pine for 3-4 years while only flashing in a few games where the expectation was very low.  usually, those guys don't pan out on the next team, usually you get scott mitchell and matt flynn and not steve young.  

Scott Mitchell was signed after 7 starts and 9 TD's 7 INT's, that was idiotic.

Flynn was even worse, he had 2 career starts before Sea signed him.

At least Glennon has played more than a full season in terms of number of games and played well as a rookie with very little supporting cast.

14 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Glennon is a 2-1 TD/INT guy (30-15) whereas Osweiller is almost 1/1 (26/22).  

While I get what you're saying in theory, Osweiler was at 11/6 prior to last season, and that didn't make him any good.  I thought that deal was pretty dumb for Houston last year, and a comparable one would be just as bad for the older Glennon.  If he's available for a much cheaper price, that's a different story.  It's one thing to give him a shot, but he certainly doesn't deserve to be handed a big contract or a guaranteed starting job.

4 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

While I get what you're saying in theory, Osweiler was at 11/6 prior to last season, and that didn't make him any good.  I thought that deal was pretty dumb for Houston last year, and a comparable one would be just as bad for the older Glennon.  If he's available for a much cheaper price, that's a different story.  It's one thing to give him a shot, but he certainly doesn't deserve to be handed a big contract or a guaranteed starting job.

I've seen more of Glennon than I have of Osweiller, but Glennon's ball placement and arm strength are far superior to Osweiller.  Hell, I don't even know if Osweiller has a strong arm because I saw him throw so many darts in to the turf.  He may be capable of launching the ball 90 yards, but somebody has to show him how to change the angle of the ball to get it to go in in upward direction.

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

The Jets can't properly rebuild if it doesn't take 3 years, and then at the end of 3 years a stern lecture about how the last rebuild wasn't done "right", so they need to rebuild properly this time.

Certain segments of this fanbase, and our populous as a whole, make running a con so, so easy by becoming the harbingers of acceptable failure and repeating mistakes.

55 minutes ago, AFJF said:

I think what he's getting at more is that each of these cuts opens up a new starter hole to fill/replace (with the exception of Richardson, if/when that one happens). It's not like Dallas dumping Romo. 

Starter holes and desired upgrades:

1. QB (he's just not going into the season with last year's 3rd & 4th stringers plus a Hoyer/Geno type)
  2. RB (could end up being our 1st round pick depending on how the draft unfolds)
  3. TE (ASJ isn't guaranteed a roster spot, let alone a starting spot)
  4. WR (if Marshall is cut/traded)
  5. LT (duh)
  6. C (possibly/probably bringing back WJ, but don't know if the team sees him as a starter or a backup)
  7. RT (or at least legit competition for Shell)
  8. Outside pass rusher (duh)
  9. ILB if they part ways with Harris (I think they'll keep him for his final contract year, but he could be cut)
  10. CB1 (duh)
  11. CB2 (or at least another legit prospect, unless they want to pencil in Skrine as starter in 2-CB sets again. Yecch.)
  12. FS (if you're cutting Gilchrist...)

It's quite a shopping list. Banking on more than 2 instant-starters from the draft is wishful, and even more than 1 instant-starter isn't assured. 

Just saying it's a lot of holes to fill. They'll get filled, one way or another, but when Brian Winters gets $7-8m/year, a team's cap room doesn't go as far as it used to.

8 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

The Jets can't properly rebuild if it doesn't take 3 years, and then at the end of 3 years a stern lecture about how the last rebuild wasn't done "right", so they need to rebuild properly this time.

Certain segments of this fanbase, and our populous as a whole, make running a con so, so easy by becoming the harbingers of acceptable failure and repeating mistakes.

I'd have no issues with bringing in one or two younger free agents who will be around in the long term to start the growth now.  

I wouldn't expect them to sit on all of their money, go 2-14 to draft Darnold, and then spend $80 million in free agency expecting everyone to be on the same page immediately.

Just now, Sperm Edwards said:

I think what he's getting at more is that each of these cuts opens up a new starter hole to fill/replace (with the exception of Richardson, if/when that one happens). It's not like Dallas dumping Romo. 

1. QB (he's just not going into the season with last year's 3rd & 4th stringers plus a Hoyer/Geno type)
  2. RB (could end up being our 1st round pick depending on how the draft unfolds)
  5. LT (duh)
  6. C (possibly/probably bringing back WJ, but don't know if the team sees him as a starter or a backup)
  9. ILB if they part ways with Harris (I think they'll keep him for his final contract year, but he could be cut)
  10. CB1 (duh)
  11. CB2 (or at least another legit prospect, unless they want to pencil in Skrine as starter in 2-CB sets again. Yecch.)

It's quite a shopping list. Banking on more than 2 instant-starters from the draft is wishful, and even more than 1 instant-starter isn't assured. 

Just saying it's a lot of holes to fill. They'll get filled, one way or another, but when Brian Winters gets $7-8m/year, a team's cap room doesn't go as far as it used to.

It is a lot of holes, however, I think far too many people here expect every hole to be filled with a top-10 player in the league. I think if we add a plus player at QB, LT, and maybe 1-2 other positions in your list, while also adding competency at the other positions (with the expectation that they develop), the whole can be greater than the sum of the farts.

If you catch my drift.

Just now, Integrity28 said:

It is a lot of holes, however, I think far too many people here expect every hole to be filled with a top-10 player in the league. I think if we add a plus player at QB, LT, and maybe 1-2 other positions in your list, while also adding competency at the other positions (with the expectation that they develop), the whole can be greater than the sum of the farts.

If you catch my drift.

Of course. Like if/when we part ways with Marshall, for example, it doesn't mean there is a hole on the team for "#1 WR" like always gets repeated. If any QB we have (or add) is worth a damn, what he'll need are multiple (3-4) reliable targets that can get open 1-on-1, more than 1 super-stud that can be double/triple-teamed. 

I agree too many have a wish list of the best _____ available in free agency. In this market, we'd need Cleveland's $100m of cap room to shop around like that, given the # of starter holes this team has. Not to mention, superexpensive-veteran-shopping means the guys you drafted won't be given serious opportunities to start (outside of promotion through others' injuries).

10 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

5. LT (duh)
  10. CB1 (duh)

This is how I see the starting roster:

FS: Draft Pick (Hooker/Adams)

SS: Pryor

CB 1: Free Agent (Need to see who is available)

CB 2: Burris, Roberts, Williams (One of those 3)

OLB: Mauldin, Jenkins (Trust Kevin Greene to get the pass rush out of these guys)

ILB: Lee, Free Agent (Minter or Hightower)

DL: Wilkerson, Williams, Mcclendon

WR: Pretty much the same as last year, maybe a draft pick in there as well

TE: ASJ, maybe a draft pick

LT: Free agent

LG: Brian Winters

C: Wesley Johnson, draft pick

RG: James Carpenter

RT: Brandon Shell, maybe a draft pick 

RB: Powell, Forte, Draft Pick

QB: FA, Hackenberg, Petty

So in FA, I think they will get a CB, ILB, LT and a QB at the very least. I would focus on the premium CB most of all

2 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

5. LT (duh)
  10. CB1 (duh)

1) QB---yup...go get Glennon unless SF offers him something crazy.

2) RB--Could be Fournette, could be an UDFA or cheap vet FA.  Too much money invested in the position with Forte/Powell

3) TE-- Agreed, I think they draft one...very deep class, but I also think ASJ sticks around with his $1 mil price tag

4) WR- Not saying they will, but they could go with Decker/Enunwa/Anderson/Peake/J. Marshall 

5) LT-- Yup...I think they draft one

6) C-- I think they take Pocic in the 3rd or Fuller in the 3rd/4th

7) RT-- They traded up to get Shell last season and he played well as a rookie.  Shell/Qvale/Ijalana (if re-signed) competition would be fine with me.

8) Pass rusher-- Agree, they need one, but don't sleep on Corey Lemonier (if he returns) working under Kevin Greene.  He's got some tools.  

9) ILB- My gut tells me Harris stays for one more year and they grab a cheap FA and some UDFA's to compete

10) CB 1-- That's one of the spots I'd spend on if I'm Mac.  Try to get Gilmore.  If not, you get one with one of the 4 top 107 picks.  Saw an insider at the combine today say that there are 14 CB's who could start in year 1, not much of a gap from 4-14.

11) CB 2-- I like Burris' chances.  Very impressed with him in camp and he did some good things when he got on the field.  Let him compete with a pick or FA.

12) FS- I think they like Middleton to compete there, and some say they'll take Hooker in rd 1 (myself included)

2 hours ago, AFJF said:

Today's $26 million in cap space is like $10 million about five years ago.  The contracts that are being signed have been on a vertical incline the past few years.

Does not matter.  This is the last year where we are stretched.  The important thing is the few players we do pick up need to be worth it.  We are going to need a CB, and it would be great if we could sign a LT.  After that, keep building through the draft and signing UDFA's.  If we are going to really do this, then lets stink for a year or two and draft some great players.

1 hour ago, BigRy56 said:

I expect the Jets to make serious runs at guys like Minters, Jefferson, Bouye/Gilmore. I think we will reach out to Hightower but ultimately he will resign with the Patriots.

Signing guys like those will not take away from rebuilding, only accelerate the process. Those are all young, fast players who have proven that they can play at a high level in the league. All of them will most likely not command more money than the people they would be replacing as well.

Since they are releasing a lot of their veterans, guys like Minters and Jefferson makes a lot of sense.  Though isn't Jefferson a strong safety?  Maybe if they trade Pryor?  Perhaps even going after other Arizona players like Marcus Cooper, Sio Moore or Alex Okafor for cheaper than the highly sot after players might add some veteran help and knowledge of the defense that Bowles would like to run.  JC Tretter from the Packers is also an intriguing option, born in NY, only 26, Steve Marshall was an assistant with the Packers for one year, has some starting experience.  Downside is he is coming off an injury.

Just now, nyjbuddy said:

Since they are releasing a lot of their veterans, guys like Minters and Jefferson makes a lot of sense.  Though isn't Jefferson a strong safety?  Maybe if they trade Pryor?  Perhaps even going after other Arizona players like Marcus Cooper, Sio Moore or Alex Okafor for cheaper than the highly sot after players might add some veteran help and knowledge of the defense that Bowles would like to run.  JC Tretter from the Packers is also an intriguing option, born in NY, only 26, Steve Marshall was an assistant with the Packers for one year, has some starting experience.  Downside is he is coming off an injury.

After posting that, I realized that Cooper was not in Arizona when Bowles was there.  So no connection.

Archived