Rapoport: Teams showing real interest in Manziel at combine

AFJF

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

I don't want him because of the circus.  If it weren't for the immediate calls for him to start, I would find him a cheap high upside guy to pick up. 

The circus is one reason, but personally I'm never a fan of bringing in these dudes who beat up women, but I know a lot of fans are indifferent to that.

1 minute ago, AFJF said:

The circus is one reason, but personally I'm never a fan of bringing in these dudes who beat up women, but I know a lot of fans are indifferent to that.

Fair enough, but we want to extend Enunwa, right?  It's football, these are generally angry violent dudes and not the most law abiding.  Obviously the player would need to be vetted and I would prefer he were a choirboy, but I don't know that I would automatically exclude everyone with domestic violence in their past.

6 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Fair enough, but we want to extend Enunwa, right?  It's football, these are generally angry violent dudes and not the most law abiding.  Obviously the player would need to be vetted and I would prefer he were a choirboy, but I don't know that I would automatically exclude everyone with domestic violence in their past.

Yup, and Enunwa's incident was investigated by the police and the league at which point it was announced by the NFL that they saw no reason for disciplinary action.  He was cleared.

Then, Ray Rice happened, and the league doubled back and suspended him to appease a bunch of protesters.

I remember being scared the Jets would idiotically draft him.  While the Pryor choice is obviously not particularly well received these days, I'm still more than happy to have ended up with him over Manziel, even though there were obviously plenty of better options.

So yeah.... no.  I'd rather bring back Geno or Sanchez, which should really tell you something.

23 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Yup, and Enunwa's incident was investigated by the police and the league at which point it was announced by the NFL that they saw no reason for disciplinary action.  He was cleared.

Then, Ray Rice happened, and the league doubled back and suspended him to appease a bunch of protesters.

I understand that Enunwa isn't some multiple offender and we don't have an unconscious woman or punch on video here, but "reached an agreement" isn't quite the same as "he was cleared."  The league DV policy went into place before his incident even occurred.  About a week IIRC.  The only reason he wasn't suspended sooner is that he wasn't on roster or getting game checks. I like the kid and since we haven't heard anything bad for 3 years we can assume it was an isolated incident, but having him around does not rest easy with a zero tolerance policy IMO. 

Enunwa was arrested and charged with simple assault. The woman later dropped the charges after the two sides reached an agreement.

Enunwa does not like talking about the incident, but was asked by The Post what he thinks about those who say there should be a zero tolerance policy in the NFL for domestic violence.

“It’s tough. It’s a sensitive topic,” Enunwa said. “I think you definitely have to do your homework. In certain situations, it is zero tolerance. But you really have to dig deep and see what is going on and see who that person is. I don’t know … I’m glad they gave me another chance, though. That’s not the person I am.”http://nypost.com/2016/11/03/quincy-enunwas-rocky-road-to-jets-revelation/

Upon further review, some dipsh*t at the NFL offices announced they didn't anticipate any action after the legal matter was dropped.  He probably didn't realize it was after a settlement, but the deal was negotiated by the NFL and NFLPA.  DV policy went into effect August 28, 2014, Enunwa injured the woman August 31, 2014.  

According to a high-ranking NFLPA source, Enunwa's suspension was a negotiated settlement between the NFL and the NFL Players Association. As such, there won't be an appeal. This is the first time the league and union have cooperated with any domestic violence-related discipline since the new personal conduct policy was released. For the first time since the NFL passed a new code of conduct policy, the league and its union worked together on the suspension of Quincy Enunwa over an alleged episode of domestic violence. At the time the charge was dismissed, the NFL office indicated it still would review court documents, but the league anticipated no discipline for Enunwa, an NFL spokesman said at the time.

If I had to guess, what actually happened is that they doubled back once he became a starter.  They don't get much value from killing a fringe player's career.  Especially over what is admittedly a fairly minor incident as domestic violence goes.  

Obviously, I am not implying this equates to Manziel who has a long history of substance abuse issues in addition to this kidnapping/hitting his girlfriend. 

20 minutes ago, gEYno said:

Manziel's problem was that he sucked at football.  Being a douche was just extra.

Actually, from someone who thought he'd be a total bust at QB from day one, there were times where he actually impressed.  Make no mistake, this was not a Tebow type who couldn't make reads or throw accurate throws.  MAnziel could actually play near the end there, and he flashed talent that I didn't think he'd have.

Hes a significantly better player than e.g. geno smith.  Now, is he good enough to be a long term starter in the league if all of a sudden he developed a work ethic and stayed out of trouble?  I don't know...  but it's not complete trash either.

23 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I understand that Enunwa isn't some multiple offender and we don't have an unconscious woman or punch on video here, but "reached an agreement" isn't quite the same as "he was cleared."  The league DV policy went into place before his incident even occurred.  About a week IIRC.  The only reason he wasn't suspended sooner is that he wasn't on roster or getting game checks. I like the kid and since we haven't heard anything bad for 3 years we can assume it was an isolated incident, but having him around does not rest easy with a zero tolerance policy IMO. 

Upon further review, some dipsh*t at the NFL offices announced they didn't anticipate any action after the legal matter was dropped.  He probably didn't realize it was after a settlement, but the deal was negotiated by the NFL and NFLPA.  DV policy went into effect August 28, 2014, Enunwa injured the woman August 31, 2014.  

According to a high-ranking NFLPA source, Enunwa's suspension was a negotiated settlement between the NFL and the NFL Players Association. As such, there won't be an appeal. This is the first time the league and union have cooperated with any domestic violence-related discipline since the new personal conduct policy was released. For the first time since the NFL passed a new code of conduct policy, the league and its union worked together on the suspension of Quincy Enunwa over an alleged episode of domestic violence. At the time the charge was dismissed, the NFL office indicated it still would review court documents, but the league anticipated no discipline for Enunwa, an NFL spokesman said at the time.

If I had to guess, what actually happened is that they doubled back once he became a starter.  They don't get much value from killing a fringe player's career.  Especially over what is admittedly a fairly minor incident as domestic violence goes.  

Obviously, I am not implying this equates to Manziel who has a long history of substance abuse issues in addition to this kidnapping/hitting his girlfriend. 

Yeah, some big differences in Enunwa's case.  Some "he said/she said" and a sore finger IIRC.

An unconscious woman (Ray Rice) or a woman with ruptured eardrums (Manziel's situation) is a bit different IMO.

Given Enunwa's stature, I'd imagine there would have been a hell of a lot worse than a sore finger if he'd actually hit the girl.

And as you mentioned, model citizen since that time.  Doesn't strike me at all as a Hardy/Manziel type.

If it comes out at some point that he belted her and laid her out, I'd have no issue saying "see ya" to Quincy.

6 hours ago, The Crusher said:

I'm impressed he is still alive. 

Me Too!!

You don't even think about bringing a guy to New York who is wearing disguises to go parties rather than prepare for a game and can't stay sober in Cleveland OH!!! 

7 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

The kid is 24 years old and would instantly be the best quarterback on our roster.

Vince Young would also be the best QB on our roster and has had plenty of time to rest his body.  Doesn't mean I want the Jets to sign him.

1 hour ago, Hael said:

Actually, from someone who thought he'd be a total bust at QB from day one, there were times where he actually impressed.  Make no mistake, this was not a Tebow type who couldn't make reads or throw accurate throws.  MAnziel could actually play near the end there, and he flashed talent that I didn't think he'd have.

Hes a significantly better player than e.g. geno smith.  Now, is he good enough to be a long term starter in the league if all of a sudden he developed a work ethic and stayed out of trouble?  I don't know...  but it's not complete trash either.

I'm not sure he's "a significantly better player than e.g. geno smith" nor that "a significantly better player than e.g. geno smith" is a meaningful metric for not sucking.

Just now, Flushing Roots said:

Or guys that are just plain certified *ssholes.

I don't like those guys either, but more tolerable than somebody who beats up a woman.

I don't like players who have been cleared to play and are ok with the NFL being blackballed. If he has the talent to be signed and compete then he deserves a chance to try out for a team. Another guy who should get a chance is Ray Rice. If Manziel signed with us ok, I'm not a big fan of his and think we should get a better Qb but I'm not against it. 

2 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

I don't like players who have been cleared to play and are ok with the NFL being blackballed. If he has the talent to be signed and compete then he deserves a chance to try out for a team. Another guy who should get a chance is Ray Rice. If Manziel signed with us ok, I'm not a big fan of his and think we should get a better Qb but I'm not against it. 

I support the business owners in their position that they don't want to give a job to a player past his prime, who also hurts the brand. These are corporations, and the decisions a corporation makes aren't always in the best interest of social ideals. Which is why corporations shouldn't be involved in governing. 

I guess that leaves me as the only poster on here who wants the Jets to sign him.  Yes he'd be a trainwreck but if the goal is to "suck for Sam" then what better way to make a losing a bunch of games next year more entertaining? 

Archived