Jets?Bears suitors for Glennon?

Scott Dierking

According to NFL Network's Ian Rapoport, the Jets and Bears have "emerged" as suitors for free agent QB Mike Glennon.
It would be quite a disappointing consolation prize, especially for the Bears, who have been closely linked to Jimmy Garoppolo. With the Patriots apparently unwilling to trade Garoppolo, quarterback-needy teams will have to look elsewhere. Glennon, Colin Kaepernick, Jay Cutler, and Brian Hoyer figure to be the best of the bunch that will be available. Glennon has been connected to the Jets for a few weeks now. He's expected to net $13-15 million per year.
Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I posted this in the other Glennon thread............about a half hour ago. 

According to NFL Network's Ian Rapoport, the Jets and Bears have "emerged" as suitors for free agent QB Mike Glennon.

It would be quite a disappointing consolation prize, especially for the Bears, who have been closely linked to Jimmy Garoppolo. With the Patriots apparently unwilling to trade Garoppolo, quarterback-needy teams will have to look elsewhere. Glennon, Colin Kaepernick, Jay Cutler, and Brian Hoyer figure to be the best of the bunch that will be available. Glennon has been connected to the Jets for a few weeks now. He's expected to net $13-15 million per year.

You can pretty well bank on it that the Jets will go after Glennon.  Question is, how much will they be willing to pay?  If the Wilkerson, Fitz, and Revis contracts can be used as a barometer, expect Glennon to be the Jets next $18,000,000 QB 

I'd take a shot with Glennon on a one year "prove it" deal to compete with Petty and Hackenberg.  They'll have cap space so as long as its a 1 year deal I don't care what they pay.  The Jets are setting up to suck in 2017, so if Glennon wins some games we might have something here.  Otherwise if he turns out to be garbage, we get a shot at Darnold in the 2018 draft.  Some upside either way.

5 minutes ago, jetscrazey said:

I'd take a shot with Glennon on a one year "prove it" deal to compete with Petty and Hackenberg.  They'll have cap space so as long as its a 1 year deal I don't care what they pay.  The Jets are setting up to suck in 2017, so if Glennon wins some games we might have something here.  Otherwise if he turns out to be garbage, we get a shot at Darnold.  Some upside either way.

Glennon will win 5-8 games here accomplishing nothing meanwhile the rookies we wasted draft picks on sit on the bench and rot. 

Just now, joewilly12 said:

Glennon will win 5-8 games here accomplishing nothing meanwhile the rookies we wasted draft picks on sit on the bench and rot. 

Winning 7-8 games with the total crap defense the Jets have would actually be pretty promising, in my opinion.  5-6 games?  Now that's the risky zone I don't want to be in.

One year prove it deal?  There are way too many qb needy teams for that to be reality.  He is going to get at least 4 years 65 million.  Osweiler got more than that and Glennon has been better.  Not saying i would give him that, inwould not, but thats what he will get.

1 minute ago, Butterfield said:

One year prove it deal?  There are way too many qb needy teams for that to be reality.  He is going to get at least 4 years 65 million.  Osweiler got more than that and Glennon has been better.  Not saying i would give him that, inwould not, but thats what he will get.

Let the Bears overpay for him, then.

47 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

If the Jets pay Glennon 15mm per year I might lose it.

I would pay him 15mm in a second.

The problem is he is going to get much more than that lol.

If there was not all of this dead money from the cuts and bad contract maybe he could be an option. Dead Money Macc needs to fix the Cap situation before he splurges on a a questionable QB at that price. Smith is a better option and. He will come at a more reasonable price. 

Glennon will not bring the Jets to the SB next season. If he bombs out at that price that means another rebuild after him

If there was not all of this dead money from the cuts and bad contract maybe he could be an option. Dead Money Macc needs to fix the Cap situation before he splurges on a a questionable QB at that price. Smith is a better option and. He will come at a more reasonable price. 
Glennon will not bring the Jets to the SB next season. If he bombs out at that price that means another rebuild after him

The jets are not caring much in the way of dead money and can easily go into this FA period with about 60M in cap room. So ... no.

And really, Smith? As in Geno? Drugs are bad, mmmkay?

Sent from my SM-G920T using JetNation.com mobile app

21 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Well between your $15 million and whatever Woody is willing to pay, the Jets can sign Glennon for more than $15m.

22 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

The jets are not caring much in the way of dead money and can easily go into this FA period with about 60M in cap room. So ... no.

And really, Smith? As in Geno? Drugs are bad, mmmkay?

Dead money is a waste. Waste is a huge part of the American culture. I would rather have Smith not win me a SB for a lot less money. I don't do drugs either. I am a physically fit, organic eating Marine Corps vet. Let's just stop with the slurs already.

The fact is, the going rate for a starting NFL QB is going to be $15 million or so in the FA market.  With limited inventory via FA and trade, the price for both salary and acquiring through trades will be further inflated. This is why it is so important to have homegrown QB's.  Go with the kids this season and they either click or we suck so badly that a high draft pick is within reach.

Being the Jets, my guess is they will overpay on a multi-year deal for Glennon.

2 hours ago, BigRy56 said:

The Jets would be wise to just run with Hackenberg. Paying Glennon 13-15 mil would be a massive mistake.

Yet If Hack looked 1/23rd as good in real game action or preseason you people would be calling him a future HOF'er

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

Why even bother watching the games your like the new Nostradamus

Btw weren't you the same guy calling Colin Kaepernick a top 15 Qb last offseason?

Dead money is a waste. Waste is a huge part of the American culture. I would rather have Smith not win me a SB for a lot less money. I don't do drugs either. I am a physically fit, organic eating Marine Corps vet. Let's just stop with the slurs already.

1) dead money isn't necessarily a waste. it depends on the particular contract. it's like the back end of Sabathia's contract to the Yankees. In a vacuum, a bad contract. but it was needed to sign him, and signing him got them a championship. was it worth it? you can take either side. but calling the deal bad without analyzing the front end benefits would be myopic.

By the same token, there's dead money and dead money. The dead money we'd eat from cutting Forte is bad, but that's because the contract as a whole was bad. The Revis dead money isn't awful, because we expected to be able to keep him through this season, and he fell off a cliff. The risk-reward of that contract structure made sense, so you live with the dead money when the risk ends up hitting.

The alternative is to go all cash (i.e. no signing bonus proration) and no guarantees - which means you pay significantly more up front to land the same player. A player choosing between two teams offering a player the same money average, but one has no dead money for cutting the player in year 2 & the other it doesn't become cap-positive to cut him until year 3 - which do you think the player picks [all else being equal]? The latter, since that structure creates a virtual guarantee for year 2. So to compete, the all cash team needs to pay more up front.

which means that if the player is kept through the early years of the deal, going all cash effectively wasted cash & cap. Either way, you're playing a risk-reward game, and there's potential for waste.

2) The idea that the jets would resign Geno - or that he'd take a deal to play here - can only be explained as the product of altered consciousness. Sorry

1 hour ago, Maxman said:

$15 mil is realistic.  Word is the Bears are very high on Jimmy G.  Th pats are trading Garropolo the stuff in the media is nonsense they planted to maintain leverage

Archived