How Todd Bowles envisions Jet's QB competition

joewilly12

How Todd Bowles envisions Jets’ quarterback competition

INDIANAPOLIS – Jets coach Todd Bowles said the team could add a veteran quarterback when free agency begins next week, but Bryce Petty and Christian Hackenberg also will get a crack at the starting job.

At the moment, the Jets only have Petty and Hackenberg under contract for 2017. Both Ryan Fitzpatrick and Geno Smith are free agents. Neither of them is expected back, though there is a small chance Smith could return.

Petty started four games for the Jets last season, but did not overwhelm anyone. Hackenberg did not play a snap as a rookie.

“Right now, we’re unproven, but free agency hasn’t started and the draft’s got to come around,” Bowles said at the NFL Scouting Combine on Thursday. “We have things that we want to do and things in place, and we’ll just let that develop.”

The Jets are expected to add a veteran quarterback in free agency. Mike Glennon is one player the Jets are expected to target. Other possibilities are Brian Hoyer, Josh McCown and Tyrod Taylor, if the Bills cut him.

“We’re looking into it,” Bowles said of signing a veteran. “I can’t say we will or we won’t. Once free agency starts, I don’t know what’s going to happen. Things might get crazy. But we have our eye on a few people.”

21 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

We're gonna have an open competition at quarterb just kidding Mike Glennon is our starter once he signs here. I hope that doesn't adversely impact our bargaining position (lol)

--Todd Bowles

Todd Bowles: Mike Glennon gives us the best chance to win. 

36 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

We're gonna have an open competition at quarterb just kidding Mike Glennon is our starter once he signs here. I hope that doesn't adversely impact our bargaining position (lol)

--Todd Bowles

I literally came into this thread hoping I'd be the one to get to write something like this. LOL, good stuff.

32 minutes ago, Butterfield said:

My hope is they can bring in mccarron by trading richardson, who we are going to get rid of anyway.  Cheap, still young, has had some success as a backup and can be good competition.

Marvin Lewis loves him the behaviorally challenged players. Cincy would be a good trade partner to unload Sheldon. I think I mentioned this some time back, because I also think McCarron is a solid QB to target as an addition to the QB room.

Cincy has to trade him this offseason. 

4 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Marvin Lewis loves him the behaviorally challenged players. Cincy would be a good trade partner to unload Sheldon. I think I mentioned this some time back, because I also think McCarron is a solid QB to target as an addition to the QB room.

Cincy has to trade him this offseason. 

I'd suspect they'd be more willing to listen to an offer for Dalton at this point.

1 hour ago, Butterfield said:

My hope is they can bring in mccarron by trading richardson, who we are going to get rid of anyway.  Cheap, still young, has had some success as a backup and can be good competition.

he's got about the same stats as garapallo and he would bring ms webb.

3 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

How Todd Bowles envisions Jets’ quarterback competition

INDIANAPOLIS – Jets coach Todd Bowles said the team could add a veteran quarterback when free agency begins next week, but Bryce Petty and Christian Hackenberg also will get a crack at the starting job.

At the moment, the Jets only have Petty and Hackenberg under contract for 2017. Both Ryan Fitzpatrick and Geno Smith are free agents. Neither of them is expected back, though there is a small chance Smith could return.

Petty started four games for the Jets last season, but did not overwhelm anyone. Hackenberg did not play a snap as a rookie.

“Right now, we’re unproven, but free agency hasn’t started and the draft’s got to come around,” Bowles said at the NFL Scouting Combine on Thursday. “We have things that we want to do and things in place, and we’ll just let that develop.”

The Jets are expected to add a veteran quarterback in free agency. Mike Glennon is one player the Jets are expected to target. Other possibilities are Brian Hoyer, Josh McCown and Tyrod Taylor, if the Bills cut him.

“We’re looking into it,” Bowles said of signing a veteran. “I can’t say we will or we won’t. Once free agency starts, I don’t know what’s going to happen. Things might get crazy. But we have our eye on a few people.”

i don't see where costello gets paid for writing such drivel.  maybe one paragraph can be attributed to bowles.  the rest is just gibberish and speculation by costello.

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

The title is from the NY Post I just copied it. Take your issues up with them. Thanks 

I had no issue with the title my friend.  As I stated above I was so relieved to find out that Bowles hadn't done something silly.... 

Todd Bowles will be involved with the offense-a whole new experience for everyone involved. At least this will be the last time the Jets pay anything to send this big brain super genius to the combine. He might as well review the minifridge and breakfast bar offerings. And if he stays at the hotel he won't have other teams laughing at us again. 

Archived