NFL Rumors / Signings / Cuts / Trades (Non-Jets)

C Mart

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ex-Bills RB Jonathan Williams passed through waivers unclaimed.

It's a bad sign for Williams, who shined in preseason with Buffalo but was passed on by 31 teams when he hit waivers with a minimum-salary deal. Williams does have some history of off-field and medical issues, so there may be something going on with him of which we're not entirely aware. Either way, his stock in Dynasty leagues has gone back in the basement as a street free agent.

On 9/3/2017 at 3:17 PM, RESNewYork said:

I would hope Tye would be our starting FB. Is Howsware worth a roster spot?

Tye can't block and Howsare is a good defensive special teamer.  Howsare is a college LB/DE transitioning because he is willing to hit.  Tye is a 260 lb 4.5 guy who is "working on" becoming a full TE. He left Florida State, but I guess there isn't much shame in not beating out O'Leary and I think they had another highly rated guy there. 

15 hours ago, C Mart said:

Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet)

9/4/17, 5:40 PM

The #Browns claimed OT Zach Banner, formerly of the #Colts. Not @JoeBanner13. RB Jonathan Williams went unclaimed and is free.

Zach Banner is a huge OT from USC that is apparently an oaf.  Interesting guy, certainly has LT size, but he is slow and does not seem to progress much.  I think he got beat up pretty good in one of the all-star games.

On 9/3/2017 at 0:23 PM, Tinstar said:

I think that organization should allow that kid to retire and deal with whatever issue is worrying him instead of trying to talk him into playing . 

They are.  They put him on the temporary exempt list. That gives him a month to work through things and decide.  Apparently, he talks about retiring every time he gets hurt.  He did it in college.  Parcells would have hated him.  I guess our tiny LB was a better choice than theirs.  FWIW, they are quick to tout this as a McCloughan pick.  Matt Jones and Doctson too. 

On 9/3/2017 at 2:25 PM, Rangers9 said:

I was thinking that but wouldn't Kerley be a better fit as a slot receiver than Dorsett. 

Brandin Cooks is pretty well suited to the slot, especially with Dorsett outside. 

The Jets had a tryout for Juwan Thompson on Tuesday.

The Broncos let the hybrid back go earlier this month to make him a free agent. As for the Jets situation, Matt Forte called the trade reports "fake news" last week and the Jets may also want to get a look at Elijah McGuire at some point this season. Still, their lack of depth at the skill positions will probably lead to some esoteric players having low-end fantasy impact in deep leagues.

Patriots owner Robert Kraft says he wouldn't stand in the way if coach/GM Bill Belichick decided to move on from Tom Brady in 2018.

"Yes," was Kraft's one-word response when asked if he would leave the decision up to his football people. "That doesn’t mean I’m not willing to weigh in and give them my thoughts," Kraft added. "But I think we have a pretty good record in the personnel area. We’ll wait and see what happens at the end of the year. A lot of things happen that no one can plan." Brady was as good as ever last season, but he turned 40 last month, and the Pats have been loath to let go of Jimmy Garoppolo. Belichick isn't known for his sentimentality. It's ultimately hard to believe Brady would be shown the door if he wants to keep playing, but you can never say never in New England.
Image result for tom brady jets uniform pics

11 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

The Jets had a tryout for Juwan Thompson on Tuesday.

The Broncos let the hybrid back go earlier this month to make him a free agent. As for the Jets situation, Matt Forte called the trade reports "fake news" last week and the Jets may also want to get a look at Elijah McGuire at some point this season. Still, their lack of depth at the skill positions will probably lead to some esoteric players having low-end fantasy impact in deep leagues.

Maybe if Jets decide to go w/more of a FB type. 

Thompson has rushed 80 times for 346 yards (4.3 yards per carry) and four touchdowns in his career. Thompson is entering his fourth season in the NFL and he’s an ideal candidate for a team looking for a third-string running back that can also provide fullback depth.

Thompson made his initial impact when injuries arose as a rookie, and he showed off some of his goal line skills with a couple of touchdowns. He proved his worth in a variety of other ways, too. Thompson was a key special teams player as well as a very good pass protector when called upon.

4 hours ago, AFJF said:

When/where did Tomlinson play FB?  College or Texans?

I was talking about this preseason where I think I saw Tomlinson at FB more than Housewares. Looked better there as well. I guess a blocking TE should look better blocking than a LB.

I believe I saw Leggett in the backfield a bit as well but I couldn't find any info on Tye. In fact the only thing I could find was that he couldn't block a lick in which case I don't think he'd be a good candidate. I don't have PFF anymore. Paying $20 per month just to see the snap counts was a little wasteful. Maybe someone could look up the numbers. 

The only problem I see is that ASJ won't be here for the beginning of the season so Tomlinson is going to have a tough time starting at TE, and FB. 

I really don't like using a FB at all anymore and if he can't read the running lanes as well or better than the HB I think he just gets in the way and tips off the defense. 

Tony Richardson was great because he couldn't really run anymore but he could still read the field as well as anyone I've ever seen. Follow that guy into the hole and you know you're going to have some room to run. 

Archived