NFL Rumors / Signings / Cuts / Trades (Non-Jets)

C Mart

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
By 2 do you mean overall pick #2, or a 2nd rounder?
Because there is no chance the Skins move Cousins for a 2nd round pick and some toss in.
ESPN this morning was all but guaranteeing that if the deal got done, it would be for the #2 overall pick and then some.

The report I saw was 34, 66, and change. which makes sense because of the contract issue, but also seems like a huge mistake for the skins.

Sent from my SM-G920T using JetNation.com mobile app

3 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

The report I saw was 34, 66, and change. which makes sense because of the contract issue, but also seems like a huge mistake for the skins.

Wow, thats unbelievable, I was thinking the #2 pick overall, 3rd rounder and another pick for Cousins sounded just about right.  A 2nd rounder instead of the 2nd overall is a huge mistake for Washington.  Who are they planning to play qb this year?  Colt McCoy?  I thought they at least had a plan to draft a qb with the #2 overall pick, or draft someone else high and take a qb with their original 1st rounder.  This just sounds crazy.

Just now, Butterfield said:

Wow, thats unbelievable, I was thinking the #2 pick overall, 3rd rounder and another pick for Cousins sounded just about right.  A 2nd rounder instead of the 2nd overall is a huge mistake for Washington.  Who are they planning to play qb this year?  Colt McCoy?

No kidding... this has to be an incorrect report, right? I mean I am pretty sure that a 1st round pick and say a 2nd rd or 3rd round is more likely the compensation back to skins.

Snyder strikes again!  If its for a 2nd round pick what a disgrace. Could you imagine if we finally found a franchise qb and didn't want to sign him for a long term deal then only got a 2nd and some lower round picks in return. Billboard and plan messages wouldn't even come close to cutting it.

SRich? Get our 4th Rd pick back and conditional 2018 pick based on his '17 performance and if he resigns w/Wash?

Washington shopping for help on the D-line

The Redskins are in the market for defensive linemen. The Redskins have also expressed interest in defensive tackle Lawrence Guy, according to a person with knowledge of the situation. The 26-year-old spent the last three seasons with the Baltimore Ravens. He recorded 28 combined tackles, a sack and a forced fumble in 16 games (10 starts) in 2016. NFL.com listed him as the eighth best interior pass rusher last year, averaging 4.24 yards to the quarterback.

Listed at 6-4, 305 pounds, Guy had his best season in 2015 when he recorded a career-high 4.5 sacks in 16 games (six starts). Washington’s interest in Guy falls in line with the team’s approach to seek out second-tier players at the start of free agency for the second straight offseason. The team is also reportedly interested in Cowboys free agenct Terrell McClain.

Master Tesfatsion @MasterTes  Washington Post Redskins beat writer

While I personally believe there's logic behind the #Redskins trading Kirk Cousins, that "report" ain't true as of this morning

Not sure how it picked up steam, but a source said there's no truth to a Kirk Cousins-49ers trade being "all but done."

30 minutes ago, C Mart said:

SRich? Get our 4th Rd pick back and conditional 2018 pick based on his '17 performance and if he resigns w/Wash?

Washington shopping for help on the D-line

The Redskins are in the market for defensive linemen. The Redskins have also expressed interest in defensive tackle Lawrence Guy, according to a person with knowledge of the situation. The 26-year-old spent the last three seasons with the Baltimore Ravens. He recorded 28 combined tackles, a sack and a forced fumble in 16 games (10 starts) in 2016. NFL.com listed him as the eighth best interior pass rusher last year, averaging 4.24 yards to the quarterback.

Listed at 6-4, 305 pounds, Guy had his best season in 2015 when he recorded a career-high 4.5 sacks in 16 games (six starts). Washington’s interest in Guy falls in line with the team’s approach to seek out second-tier players at the start of free agency for the second straight offseason. The team is also reportedly interested in Cowboys free agenct Terrell McClain.

I'm in on any deal that would get rid of Richardson.  I don't hate the guy personally, but both he, and Wilkerson need some distance between them .  I would prefer a 3rd round pick thou .

FWIW

Jonah Keri‏ @jonahkeri

Rare NFL(?!) scoop: Tony Romo landed in Denver tonight, said to be meeting with @Broncos, per source.

According to CBS Sports reporter Jonah Keri, Romo arrived late Tuesday night to discuss the opportunity to play QB for the franchise this season.

3 hours ago, IntoTheGreen said:

Agreed. That 2 better be second overall, not second round.

2 hours ago, Doggin94it said:

From a team's perspective, compensation for a player equals draft pick plus money.  

Draft picks are valuable because they get you players that even with high picks are cheaper than what you need to pay in FA.

So to get a QB for the 2nd pick PLUS the obligation to pay them $20mm/year, that is very, very expensive.  Either you sign someone without expending a draft pick, or use the high pick for someone and pay them a 1/3 of that.

This is the same reason why SR is not, and Mo was not, going to garner a 1st round pick-because not only do they cost the pick, but they cost FA money.

Yes, the Jets received a 1st round pick for Revis, and for Abraham.  I think those deals are tougher to get today given the gap between rookie and FA contracts.

8 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Ian Rapoport‏ @RapSheet

The #Lions and OT Ricky Wagner have agreed in principle on a contract, source said. It will eclipse $9M per year, setting a new market.

Good thing the Jets did not lock up Ijalana.

From a team's perspective, compensation for a player equals draft pick plus money.  
Draft picks are valuable because they get you players that even with high picks are cheaper than what you need to pay in FA.
So to get a QB for the 2nd pick PLUS the obligation to pay them $20mm/year, that is very, very expensive.  Either you sign someone without expending a draft pick, or use the high pick for someone and pay them a 1/3 of that.
This is the same reason why SR is not, and Mo was not, going to garner a 1st round pick-because not only do they cost the pick, but they cost FA money.
Yes, the Jets received a 1st round pick for Revis, and for Abraham.  I think those deals are tougher to get today given the gap between rookie and FA contracts.

exactly. but it still seems like a mistake to give up a franchise qb for that. The going rate for the rights to draft a potential franchise QB is at least two first-round picks (see the various trades to move up in the draft for a franchise guy in the top few picks). The discount from that to the reported haul for cousins is pretty steep. Yes the contract is an issue. But it's also a proven player not just potential.

More importantly, from the Redskins perspective, it's going to take a hell of a lot more than that in assets to replace cousins

3 hours ago, JETdawg1389 said:

And the draft is stocked with top corner prospects who would be available at 6, so what would we want with Johnson

Sent from my EVA-L09 using JetNation.com mobile app

We need more than 1 corner though. We have 2 starting vacancies to fill. I'm not in love with Johnson. But if we acquired him and used our 6th pick or second rounder on another CB in a deep CB draft class I'd be very happy with that.

Might not fit Shanahan's blocking scheme preference? Note: Morton Left USC after 2010 season..Martin was at USC 2011-2013

Adam Caplan‏ @caplannfl

#49ers waived C Marcus Martin, team announced.

drafted by the 49ers in the third round of the 2014 NFL Draft. He played college football at USC..He entered the 2014 NFL Draft after his junior season

Draft Analysis:

"This was the No. 1 center on my board. This is a big-bodied kid who fits exactly what San Francisco is ... a big, powerful, run-the-football kind of team." -- Mike Mayock

22 hours ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

It's crazy that the Skins are basically on the verge of losing a legit franchise QB like this. These guys are so hard to find. Somebody in their organization screwed up big time. He needed to be locked up. They're going to be back on the QB market trying to find an answer with teams like us now if he does end up in SF.

The way they've screwed with him regarding a long term deal, I wouldn't be surprised if Cousins calls off any further negotiation with them just to force the Skins' hand.  Then Romo can make a Kilmeresque entrance.  Snyder is a complete moron.

2 hours ago, Tinstar said:

I'm in on any deal that would get rid of Richardson.  I don't hate the guy personally, but both he, and Wilkerson need some distance between them .  I would prefer a 3rd round pick thou .

I wouldn't accept anything less than a third. If they can't get that, let him play his ass off in a contract year, then take the 2019 third round comp pick as compensation. Ability-wise, we should be talking about a first round pick here. CRappy situation. 

9 minutes ago, slats said:

I wouldn't accept anything less than a third. If they can't get that, let him play his ass off in a contract year, then take the 2019 third round comp pick as compensation. Ability-wise, we should be talking about a first round pick here. CRappy situation. 

This makes sense but you just know that if he does play here and does have a huge year there will be huge pressure to resign him and not let him walk for a mere 3rd.  The Jets are screwed with this guy no matter what they do.

Archived