Rapoport: Jets Showing Interest in Hoyer (All things Hoyer)

CrazyCarl40

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

I can't say I'm surprised. Hoyer fits the bill as a starter for a rebuilding team. If they sign him I think Petty's days are numbered and wouldn't be surprised to see the Jets draft Deshaun Watson if he is available. Hoyer would start the season if he wins the job with Watson holding the clipboard with the goal of him ending the season as the starter if He progresses. That just one scenario but I could see it happening.

Think that's quite the opposite. All Hoyer will most likely be is a fall back guy if things fall apart for Petty/Hack. Some of you really aren't understanding the purpose for getting a guy like Hoyer.

Hoyer is way better than you people think.  Pair him with Shanahan and he will be fine.  I'm sure they would prefer Cousins and that might happen, putting Hoyer back on the market. Of course, Hoyer heading to the Niners may just be SF posturing so that the Redskins/Cousins bite on whatever deal has been offered. 

16 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Now that we have bet our entire frnachise future on the Picks of Mac, we have been left with Brian Hoyer, GREAT! Why, because why would a Glennon, Romo or Cutler want to come to team releasing talent left and right for "young guys who play hard". The rebuild is already failing....

Cheer up Kev. Pretty sure Hoyer doesn't want to be here either.

Hoyer has been at the top of my QB list for 2017 for a long time.  I think he is probably going to end up the best value.  I think he is much better than any of you guys.  He's outplayed Cutler at 1/4 the price and was a winner in Cleveland.  Remember when people thought Pettine was going to be a good head coach?  Hoyer was winning those games.  Of course Shanahan was his OC, which probably helped.  Durability is a concern, but until I have a long term answer, give me Hoyer at $3-4M per over any Osweiler/Fitzpatrick type deals. 

3 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Hoyer is way better than you people think.  Pair him with Shanahan and he will be fine.  I'm sure they would prefer Cousins and that might happen, putting Hoyer back on the market. Of course, Hoyer heading to the Niners may just be SF posturing so that the Redskins/Cousins bite on whatever deal has been offered. 

kind of sad actually but hoyer would be the best QB this team's had this decade.   

10 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

Ehh, I just don't see the point in going with a guy like Hoyer if we are gutting this team and not planning on being competitive this year. I'm not saying for sure that's the road the Jets are going down. But if it is, why go with Hoyer? So we can win 6 games? Just go with Petty, Hack and maybe a guy you draft and roll the dice. If they stink it least we can evaluate 2 guys at the QB position and maybe be in position to land a guy like Darnold in a year.

He won't be here to start.

jesus..

Just now, Patriot Killa said:

jesus..

Wana bet, he will Play 10 times better then Macs 2 bust QBs so far in camp and the NY media fans will have Hoyer starting in SEP, watch

Just now, kevinc855 said:

Wana bet, he will Play 10 times better then Macs 2 bust QBs so far in camp and the NY media fans will have Hoyer starting in SEP, watch

He will play the background and the young guys will get the first shot. That's the ENTIRE point of not shelling out starting money to another guy.

11 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Here's an idea- play the QB you drafted.

Completely agree.  If this is truly a rebuild, it would be idiotic to have a veteran stiff take any starting snaps for this team over Hackenberg or Petty.  We can all probably agree that Hoyer is a better QB than both, but so what? I'd rather roll the dice and potentially sacrifice a win or two to see if either of them are ever going to be legit starters in this league. 

Just now, ChuckkieB said:

Completely agree.  If this is truly a rebuild, it would be idiotic to have a veteran stiff take any starting snaps for this team over Hackenberg or Petty.  We can all probably agree that Hoyer is a better QB than both, but so what? I'd rather roll the dice and potentially sacrifice a win or two to see if either of them are ever going to be legit starters in this league. 

The issue here is clearly the coach. Bowles is an old school -play the veteran(especially at QB) because he's afraid of losing the team. Granted Petty and Hackenberg probably stink- but the roster right now is young and crappy. Throwing Hoyer out there to salvage 5 wins is a waste of time.

10 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

He will play the background and the young guys will get the first shot. That's the ENTIRE point of not shelling out starting money to another guy.

Agreed. Fitz was only ever signed to be a ready-to-go backup.

IK had other plans ... 

Hopefully Hoyer would be the same. Start Petty till Hack is good to go, and IF Petty gets hurt, Hoyer plays so that Hack doesn't get forced into action.

If Hoyer turns out to be better than both of them ... go back to the draft next year, and keep Hack if you still think he can develop.

5 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

The issue here is clearly the coach. Bowles is an old school -play the veteran(especially at QB) because he's afraid of losing the team. Granted Petty and Hackenberg probably stink- but the roster right now is young and crappy. Throwing Hoyer out there to salvage 5 wins is a waste of time.

Was Fitzpatrick the original starter in 2015?

You're assuming something based on no evidence

37 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Now that we have bet our entire frnachise future on the Picks of Mac, we have been left with Brian Hoyer, GREAT! Why, because why would a Glennon, Romo or Cutler want to come to team releasing talent left and right for "young guys who play hard". The rebuild is already failing....

You don't understand the concept of a rebuild. 

First off, you don't rebuild with a Cutler or a Romo. Those guys are stopgaps for a year or 2 for a team with tons of talent at other positions. 

Second, you don't rebuild with average QBs that will help you win meaningless games. You rebuild with kids and bring in a journeyman vet to help them along and as an insurance policy in case the kids are awful. If Hack and petty are terrible, you still need a competent QB that can come in and help develop the WRs and the rest of the offense without winning too many games and hurting your chances at a top pick in the following years draft.  

1 minute ago, jamesr said:

Agreed. Fitz was only ever signed to be a ready-to-go backup.

IK had other plans ... 

Hopefully Hoyer would be the same. Start Petty till Hack is good to go, and IF Petty gets hurt, Hoyer plays so that Hack doesn't get forced into action.

If Hoyer turns out to be better than both of them ... go back to the draft next year, and keep Hack if you still think he can develop.

It's the only thing that makes sense giving the direction that we are going in. We obviously are shedding the dead weight and letting the young guys we already drafted take over and see what they have. The FA's we sign will only compliment the plan in place. I'm trusting the process and not crying over the the Glennon situation. Mac was smart in not giving in. 

1 minute ago, UnitedWhofans said:

And your point is? You are assuming something where there is no evidence at all.

The point is if Bowles starts Brian Hoyer paired with this current roster he's a moron that's asking to be fired.

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

The point is if Bowles starts Brian Hoyer paired with this current roster he's a moron that's asking to be fired.

I really don't think that's the purpose of having him here...as I have said 1,782 times. Nothing Mac has done or said points to trying to find a starting stop gap. In his own words he has said he wants to see Hack/Petty. 

Really two sides to this.  On the one, I totally agree we should throw Petty and/or Hack in the deep end and see who can swim. But on the other if Hack still can't hit the ocean and if Petty is just going to single read Robbie Anderson for 16 games or hold the ball too long and take unnecessary sacks, you don't get to find out what you have in Peake, Smith, J Marshall, etc. and you mess with the chemistry of the OL.

2 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

I really don't think that's the purpose of having him here...as I have said 1,782 times. Nothing Mac has done or said points to trying to find a starting stop gap. In his own words he has said he wants to see Hack/Petty. 

Then play them. If Petty or Hack are that bad that they cant even see the field over Brian Hoyer- then they both obviously need to be fired. You cant just keep drafting QB's and not playing them without consequence. QB's need to play in games. There are no double session full padded 3 hour practices anymore where everyone gets reps. The only meaningful reps for young QB's that exist anymore are in games.

42 minutes ago, August said:

On ESPN and WFAN they're saying they're okay with the Jets bringing back Geno. A stark contrast from last year when they constantly ripped Geno. 

As far as the quarterback position. The proven young players that I wouldn't mind spending money on are Kirk Cousins (and he's not coming here) and Tyrod Taylor (I doubt he wants to come here but if he's open to being here then you go after him) besides them there are Kaepernick (our owner would want absolutely nothing to do with him), Cutler and Romo would cost too much and neither one are long term solutions. Then you have journeymen like Hoyer, the McCown brothers, Barkley, Keenum, McCoy etc. 

To me Geno kills two birds with one stone, you get a cost efficient quarterback, a guy whose still young with upside who is also a veteran. And someone who has some semblance of chemistry with players like Decker, Enunwa and Powell. Geno Smith does not negate the rebuild anymore than signing Hoyer would. 

The perception of Geno is irrelevant. Its Geno that would be the problem. His attitude on the sidelines would be the problem if he wasn't on the field. If the purpose is to go with Petty or Hack or a drafted guy Geno would not be a fit. Been there done that.

Archived