Rapoport: Jets Showing Interest in Hoyer (All things Hoyer)

CrazyCarl40

Just now, Matt39 said:

Then play them. If Petty or Hack are that bad that they cant even see the field over Brian Hoyer- then they both obviously need to be fired. You cant just keep drafting QB's and not playing them without consequence.

And that's what I think is going to happen. If they sign Hoyer and neither Petty nor Hackenberg can beat Hoyer in a QB competition, then you have your answer, don't you?

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Then play them. If Petty or Hack are that bad that they cant even see the field over Brian Hoyer- then they both obviously need to be fired. You cant just keep drafting QB's and not playing them without consequence.

You have to play them and if you do and they suck..you put a experienced guy like Hoyer in to play clean up and answer this QB problem in a QB rich draft...but you have to play the QB's we drafted this year first..and that's what I believe Mac will do.

23 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

He won't be here to start.

jesus..

How do you know that? Is it that ridiculous to think he can't beat out a 3rd year 4th rounder with 4 career starts under his belt and a second year 2nd round pick who most experts are saying isn't any good?

Hoyer isn't complete garbage. He can play. He's just very very average and is a game manager at best. You're telling me that if Hack and Petty look like trash in pre season and Hoyer is playing the way he normally plays he can't be named the starter for week 1?

And the idea that he would sign with a team like the New York Jets knowing that he's only here to be a mentor to a young QB doesn't add up. He's 31 not 38, and the Jets are a bottom of the league type of team right now. He wouldn't come here without the promise of competing for playing time.

3 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

The perception of Geno is irrelevant. Its Geno that would be the problem. His attitude on the sidelines would be the problem if he wasn't on the field. If the purpose is to go with Petty or Hack or a drafted guy Geno would not be a fit. Been there done that.

Geno is a better player than Petty both are same age ..  

and apperently everybody is better than Hack .. so as far as fit go let him battle it out and go with the best one 

34 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Think that's quite the opposite. All Hoyer will most likely be is a fall back guy if things fall apart for Petty/Hack. Some of you really aren't understanding the purpose for getting a guy like Hoyer.

If they sign Hoyer and go with Petty or Hack all Hoyer would be is either an insurance policy or he would keep the position warm if neither impresses. I could see a scenario develop like the one I mentioned develop especially if the Niners get Cousins. Of course its just speculation on my part and we will have to wait and see how it all shakes out.

7 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

The perception of Geno is irrelevant. Its Geno that would be the problem. His attitude on the sidelines would be the problem if he wasn't on the field. If the purpose is to go with Petty or Hack or a drafted guy Geno would not be a fit. Been there done that.

Agree. Geno needs the Jets way more than the Jets need him.

1 hour ago, UnknownJetFan said:

I know many still say Geno over say a Hoyer, but Geno being the exp. QB with younglings under him probably isn't the best guy to set an example on and off the field. Off the field he doesn't have a good attitude and on the field he makes bad decsions that young QBs may also pick up on. Also, how can you help guide anyone when you can't get the job done?.

THIS. NO TO GENO.

4 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

Geno is a better player than Petty both are same age ..  

and apperently everybody is better than Hack .. so as far as fit go let him battle it out and go with the best one 

We're not looking for the best QB, we are looking for a franchise QB. Petty and Smith may be the same age, but Geno has already proven he is a disaster. Petty may not be the answer but he deserves another shot. Same with Hack. 

The difference between Hoyer and Geno is that Hoyer knows his place/role. If Hoyer comes in here, he is a stop gap. If he gets benched, you won't see him sulk. If Geno is back, and gets benched how helpful will he be to the kids? 

Just now, HessStation said:

A rebuild means going with and developing young players, including the QB. Signing a carreer journyman, back up veteran QB DO NOT equate to rebuilding. 

You can do both. Believe it our not. Ryan Fitzpatrick was not going to be the starter in 2015. IK made the decision.

Just now, goober36 said:

I don't see the logic in signing hoyer. He's a mediocre qb, why pay this guy if we are going to suck anyway? He won't be a long term fix and I'm sure everyone knows that.

I find it idiotic to waste money on bridges while we have so many long term holes we need to fill....

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

The problem is that you need a veteran QB for the bench at the very least

1 hour ago, kevinc855 said:

Now that we have bet our entire frnachise future on the Picks of Mac, we have been left with Brian Hoyer, GREAT! Why, because why would a Glennon, Romo or Cutler want to come to team releasing talent left and right for "young guys who play hard". The rebuild is already failing....

I'm hoping if the Jets go the Hoyer route he has to win the starter job, not have it handed to him.

It seems that the problem is that the fanbase cant agree on what they want.

1. Hoyer would be a good mentor to Petty and Hackenberg, as a backup

2. Hoyer would win us too many games to get a top pick. He'll be granted the starting job automatically based on assumptions that the Jets cant do anything right.

6 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

We're not looking for the best QB, we are looking for a franchise QB. Petty and Smith may be the same age, but Geno has already proven he is a disaster. Petty may not be the answer but he deserves another shot. Same with Hack. 

The difference between Hoyer and Geno is that Hoyer knows his place/role. If Hoyer comes in here, he is a stop gap. If he gets benched, you won't see him sulk. If Geno is back, and gets benched how helpful will he be to the kids? 

Hoyer's previous stints show Hoyer does not know his role, every time he got benched or passed over for starting job he was vocal about his displeasure, and disagreement with decision.

2 minutes ago, thadude said:

No more Hoyer, no more Putrid, no more Wackinburger hey hey now 

SIGN GLENNON 

Then we better draft o-line with the first two picks.... Still think he wants more money than he has earned by his play or lack of play on the field....

Archived