BREAKING: Bears releasing Jay Cutler, and Jets appear to be his only suitor

SAR I

The end to the Jay Cutler era in Chicago is coming to a quiet close, with Cutler reportedly being informed of his release in advance of the 2017 NFL league year beginning at 4 p.m. ET on Thursday ( follow all the action in our live blog here ), CBS Sports NFL Insider Jason La Canfora reports.

Adam Schefter of ESPN first reported the news on Cutler, which is sort of an “as expected” move . Although Cutler’s contract didn’t make keeping him totally unreasonable from the Bears standpoint, they’ve already decided to sign to-be free agent quarterback Mike Glennon, according to multiple reports, giving Glennon a deal worth $14.5 million per year over three years

Reports indicated that the Bears tried to trade Cutler ahead of the start of the league year, but that wasn’t going to happen in this market .

Schefter reports the only team interested in Cutler’s services at this point is the New York Jets. What a delightful marriage Cutler and that media market would make. 

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/bears-releasing-jay-cutler-when-free-agency-starts-jets-appear-to-be-his-only-suitor/

SAR I

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only reason to sign Cutler is that he is guaranteed to get hurt, or at least fake an injury, by week 4. Otherwise, there is zero reason for a clown like Cutler to come to NY. With our luck he will have a great season leading us to a meaningless 8-8 season and still on the hunt for a franchise QB. 

I too saw this and was going to start a thread on this but it is all to depressing!

Cutler has been awful of late and should retire, he is also the Anti-Fitz in the bad way.  He is undisciplined, inadequately prepares and is an awful role model for the other young QBs like Petty and Hack.

This is perhaps the worse move the Jets can make and says that they have ZERO faith in Petty or Hack, cause there is a reason why NO ONE in the entire NFL wants this guy..... 

If we get Cutler, it would almost be worse than resigning Geno.  Permanent bitch and whine moan next year as the Jets continue to dominate meaningless games, and badly lose those that have importance.  Meanwhile the locker room implodes, and they proceed to turn into something out of the lord of the flies.

Goodell then docks us our first round pick next year for conduct detrimental.

You know, 2 days ago this would have been my preference for QB based on pure comic relief.  We're going to suck something awful, so might as well be entertaining.  But the Jets had to go and release Brandon Marshall and now the idea of singing Jay Cutler isnt funny at all.  

Well thats not true.  It still kind of funny in the SOJ type of way which is amusing in the sense that you're like oh man, the Jets are dumb.  But its not nearly as entertaining as it would have been to pair Cutler and Marshall again in the NYC. 

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

You know, 2 days ago this would have been my preference for QB based on pure comic relief.  We're going to suck something awful, so might as well be entertaining.  But the Jets had to go and release Brandon Marshall and now the idea of singing Jay Cutler isnt funny at all.  

Well thats not true.  It still kind of funny in the SOJ type of way which is amusing in the sense that you're like oh man, the Jets are dumb.  But its not nearly as entertaining as it would have been to pair Cutler and Marshall again in the NYC. 

I really want the Richardson for McCarron rumor to come true.

14 minutes ago, BroadwayJoe12 said:

Lol Cutler and this fanbase are almost too deserving of each other. 

It would be quite a challenge to see who is more negative the fans or Cutler. I still say Jets fans can be more negative and hostile that ANY fans in the league. So would Cutler coming here be a double negative?

1 minute ago, gEYno said:

The possible upside here is that his wife will be so desperate to move to NYC that she will make him sign a very cheap contract.

So he can be the veteran bridge to Darnold.  

I think we are all concerned most about blowing cap money on a temporary QB than anything else. That and winning too many games.  But Cutler will get hurt very early.

Archived