BREAKING: Bears releasing Jay Cutler, and Jets appear to be his only suitor

SAR I

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, BRONX DUDE said:

Cutler has lost wherever he has played.  Welcome to your new losing team.  US.

It is actually a sickness.  Why would we acquire a now injured QB, past his prime, who is a poor mentor and leader of an organization?

Answer cause we are the Jets that is why!!

There is a reason why No One in the NFL is offering Cutler any type of contract!!

39 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

It is actually a sickness.  Why would we acquire a now injured QB, past his prime, who is a poor mentor and leader of an organization?

Answer cause we are the Jets that is why!!

There is a reason why No One in the NFL is offering Cutler any type of contract!!

I have this feeling that the people who play with Jay Cutler and the people who read about Jay Cutler have totally different opinions about the Man .

4 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

I have this feeling that the people who play with Jay Cutler and the people who read about Jay Cutler have totally different opinions about the Man .

Well, if you trust Brandon Marshall, here's his take:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/13388707/brandon-marshall-says-was-only-chicago-bears-player-hold-jay-cutler-liable

Marshall felt that no one was holding Cutler accountable for his performance, he and his QB didn't speak for the last year they played together in Chicago.  I find Brandon Marshall a stand up, honest guy and a good judge of character.

SAR I

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

It's amazing how Brandon Marshall always portrays himself as the good guy.  But he always seems to forget to mention the times he had to be physically restrained from attacking Cutler...and then Fitz last year.  Amazing! 

2 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

Normally a starting QB on a team that wins 10 games and sets the clubs passing TD record for a season is popular.

....especially on the heels of 5 years of lackluster play at the position from the likes of Mark Sanchez and Geno Smith.

If Petty and Hackenberg aren't suitable to start this season and the QB leftover pile boils down to Geno Smith, Jay Cutler, or Ryan Fitzpatrick, I'm taking Ryan Fitzpatrick.  He has the temperament for what is going to be a very long and trying season.

SAR I

7 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

Kyle Long tweeted yesterday that "he'd give a leg for Cutler." Olinemen usually have a pretty good read on what their QB's are all about.

3 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Well, if you trust Brandon Marshall, here's his take:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/13388707/brandon-marshall-says-was-only-chicago-bears-player-hold-jay-cutler-liable

Marshall felt that no one was holding Cutler accountable for his performance, he and his QB didn't speak for the last year they played together in Chicago.  I find Brandon Marshall a stand up, honest guy and a good judge of character.

SAR I

I like Marshall too.

Cutler strikes me as the kind of guy that will get run out of this town pretty quickly.

1 minute ago, JiF said:

It's amazing how Brandon Marshall always portrays himself as the good guy.  But he always seems to forget to mention the times he had to be physically restrained from attacking Cutler...and then Fitz last year.  Amazing! 

He might have been off the meds.

1 in 3 people suffer from some form of mental illness.  Although on this board that average is higher.

The Cutler haters here imo overstate his locker room problems, and attitude.  Someone even said he's fragile, which is not true. As far as I know he's completely healthy.  And has a live arm.

To me his attitude may even be a plus since he's not going to be intimidated by the NY sports media, or the hater fans, either, for that matter.

But here's the key thing that those who think there's some better alternative are missing - there isn't.

For starters, it should be clear enough that the organization does not intend to look at Petty and Hackenberg as promising options.  If they really thought those two guys were promising, they would have signed someone like Hoyer or some other vet scrub just to be a worst case starter if Petty and Hack both sucked.  (Now to be clear I am not insisting that Hack cannot possibly be good at some point down the road, only that it should be apparent the last thing the Jets want is for him to be the opening day starter this year.)

But the Jets are not going to go with a scrub vet. 

The cost is also not a problem.  The Jets can afford to give him @$10mil, which is roughly his market value.

The real issue with him is whether at his age he is a good fit for where the Jets need to go.  At 34 he is not what you would want for someone to play here for @5 years or so.  But with any luck he does not need to.  At 34 he can be solid for this team for the next two or even three years.  If the Jets cannot find/develop a Qb for the longer term in that period, we might as well all hang it up as fans, anyway.

Last but not least, those who argue for tanking the season simply do not get that the Jets will never go that route.  It's not even worth discussing, imo.  It ain't going to happen, so don't count on it, or even hope for it. You'll just be disappointed.

13 minutes ago, section314 said:

Kyle Long tweeted yesterday that "he'd give a leg for Cutler." Olinemen usually have a pretty good read on what their QB's are all about.

#CUTTY Name another guy making 100 million who calls their rookie right guard every morning at 6AM to make sure that he's on time for work. Name another Quarterback that shows up at your house on an off day just to make sure you're behaving. Name a quarterback that will grab you by the collar and pull you out of a brawl in your first game in the NFL. Name a friend honest enough to tell you what you need to hear and not what you want to hear. I have that friend in Jay and I will never forget the things he did for me. I learned a lot from you dude. You have a pretty kick ass family too!! @kristincavallari

21 HOURS AGO

3 minutes ago, JiF said:
#CUTTY Name another guy making 100 million who calls their rookie right guard every morning at 6AM to make sure that he's on time for work. Name another Quarterback that shows up at your house on an off day just to make sure you're behaving. Name a quarterback that will grab you by the collar and pull you out of a brawl in your first game in the NFL. Name a friend honest enough to tell you what you need to hear and not what you want to hear. I have that friend in Jay and I will never forget the things he did for me. I learned a lot from you dude. You have a pretty kick ass family too!! @kristincavallari

21 HOURS AGO

I heard Marshall say that Cutler did about the same thing for him when he was with the Broncos and not yet aware of his condition.  I could be wrong, but I think this Jay Cutler is one of the most misunderstood star athletes . By the way, I don't really want Jay Cutler on our roster, but I wouldn't lose my mind if the Jets signed him.

1 minute ago, JiF said:

Yes, and apparently he has an affinity for playing the Locker Room Values Police role, deciding who is or isn't trying hard.

SAR I

24 minutes ago, Big Blocker said:

The Cutler haters here imo overstate his locker room problems, and attitude.  Someone even said he's fragile, which is not true. As far as I know he's completely healthy.  And has a live arm.

To me his attitude may even be a plus since he's not going to be intimidated by the NY sports media, or the hater fans, either, for that matter.

But here's the key thing that those who think there's some better alternative are missing - there isn't.

For starters, it should be clear enough that the organization does not intend to look at Petty and Hackenberg as promising options.  If they really thought those two guys were promising, they would have signed someone like Hoyer or some other vet scrub just to be a worst case starter if Petty and Hack both sucked.  (Now to be clear I am not insisting that Hack cannot possibly be good at some point down the road, only that it should be apparent the last thing the Jets want is for him to be the opening day starter this year.)

The cost is also not a problem.  The Jets can afford to give him @$10mil, which is roughly his market value.

The real issue with him is whether at his age he is a good fit for where the Jets need to go.  At 34 he is not what you would want for someone to play here for @5 years or so.  But with any luck he does not need to.  At 34 he can be solid for this team for the next two or even three years.  If the Jets cannot find/develop a Qb for the longer term in that period, we might as well all hang it up as fans, anyway.

Last but not least, those who argue for tanking the season simply do not get that the Jets will never go that route.  It's not even worth discussing, imo.  It ain't going to happen, so don't count on it, or even hope for it. You'll just be disappointed.

Will Cutler win a Super Bowl as Jets QB in 2017?

What does Cutler being a Jet do that will materially lead to us winning a Super Bowl in 2018-2020?

You clearly want him.  So support why WE should want him.  

25 minutes ago, Big Blocker said:

The Geno haters here imo overstate his locker room problems, and attitude.  Someone even said he's fragile, which is not true. As far as I know he should be completely healthy by training camp.  And has a live arm.

The cost is also not a problem.  The Jets can afford to give him @ 3-5 million, which is roughly his market value.

He is a good fit for where the Jets need to go.  At 26 he is what you would want for someone to play here for @5 years or so. At 26 he can be solid for this team for the next two or even three years.  If the Jets cannot find/develop a Qb for the longer term in that period, we might as well all hang it up as fans, anyway.

Perspective is an interesting thing. 

27 minutes ago, JiF said:

21 HOURS AGO

To be fair he was one of the best NFL cameos on  The League. Shit was too funny 

10 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Yes, and apparently he has an affinity for playing the Locker Room Values Police role, deciding who is or isn't trying hard.

SAR I

I heard this morning from Boomer that Wesley Johnson was the one who stood up to him in NE during his halftime rant. Supposedly earned a lot of respect in the locker room. Marshall is an asshat

16 minutes ago, NYJ37/12 said:

I heard this morning from Boomer that Wesley Johnson was the one who stood up to him in NE during his halftime rant. Supposedly earned a lot of respect in the locker room. Marshall is an asshat

Yeah we need more guys to not be upset when we are getting ass kicked.  While Revis, shelrich and mowilk are having in game vacations it is a bad thing to lose it and blast the team.  Yeah Wesley will get lots of street cred from the underachievers and loafers on this team.

I just don't see any point in signing Jay Cutler. What is the advantage? What is the end game?

Since it obviously doesn't seem like we have our QB of the future on the roster the goal should be to acquire one. This needs to be done via the draft. Either we should be drafting one at 6 or if we don't believe in this years crop of QBs we should be positioning ourselves to draft one in next year's stronger class. We should be acquiring draft picks (to rebuild or to use to trade up to get the guy we want), and getting younger and cheaper.

Seems like we're generally doing this... But Cutler doesn't fit that plan at all. He's only had a winning record as a starter 3 times in 11 years, but he's also never had a terrible season. He's going to be a 6-10 guy with a surly attitude on a team that needs good leaders. I just can't fathom how that makes sense... I guess the sentiment is that Petty and Hack simply can't play and they're concerned about the perception of intentionally tanking to their players and season ticket holders so they need to sign someone capable and struck out on everyone else... But man. Jay Cutler? Still seems like the worst case scenario to me.

3 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Yeah we need more guys to not be upset when we are getting ass kicked.  While Revis, shelrich and mowilk are having in game vacations it is a bad thing to lose it and blast the team.  Yeah Wesley will get lots of street cred from the underachievers and loafers on this team.

Marshall was an "under achiever" all year. The guy begged out of one game and loafed all year because he was not happy with the team or qb play. He's the last one to give a halftime speech, the last one!

9 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

If only Bowles would do what Marshall is accused of.  It should come from the coaches before other players.  But Bowles and his defensive coaches seem to have just as bad of a laissez-faire attitude as did Rex and his collection of pals and cronies. 

We replaced Rex with a very similar type of headcoach when it comes down to managing the players.  Just no big mouth and media mongering the way Rex liked to be.

19 minutes ago, NYJ37/12 said:

Marshall was an "under achiever" all year. The guy begged out of one game and loafed all year because he was not happy with the team or qb play. He's the last one to give a halftime speech, the last one!

He did indeed, but he was not only the last one but the ONLY one that seemed to speak out.

Archived