Osweiler Traded to Browns

CrazyCarl40

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, jetspenguin said:

lol this has to be a joke...if not the Brown truly are the NFL's worst franchise and I just felt a little better about myself. 

It's a great move by the Browns.  They get an extra 2nd round pick and with their 100M in cap space, can hold this contract no problem.  Will be even better if they can flip him for a 3rd or so.

Just now, SAR I said:

Serious Question:

Are there any NFL teams needing a quarterback that could grab Mitch Trubisky before he falls to us at 6?

Aren't we about to get any QB we want?  Methinks so.

SAR I

Take Mike Williams... Get the QB next year.

This is the full post from Schefter.

NFL stunner: Texans trade QB Brock Osweiler AND a 2018 second-round pick to Cleveland for the Browns to take Osweiler’s $16M salary of Houston’s books, per league sources. The move clears out millions in salary-cap space for Houston to intensify efforts to sign former Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo, per sources. To be exact, Houston saves $16 million in cash and $10 million against their cap this season. The Texans also will get the Browns’ fourth-round pick this year in exchange for their own 6th-round pick. So Cleveland gets Osweiler’s contract, a 2018 second-round pick and a 2017 sixth-round pick, and Houston gets Cleveland’s 2017 fourth-round pick, saves $10 million in salary-cap space and $16 million in cash. Cleveland is not committed to keeping Osweiler and is likely to try to trade him, per sources. If so, it would turn into a basketball-like trade in which NBA teams routinely trade contracts to get them off their books; only it rarely, if ever, happens in the NFL. It’s hard to remember in the salary-cap era another team when a team traded a contract to get it off its books. But Houston was so anxious to rid itself of Osweiler and move on to its next quarterbacking chapter that it is giving Cleveland extra picks to take him and his contract. The Browns headed into this free-agent signing period with over $100 million worth of salary-cap space and would struggle to spend it all. Now they can devote some of it to Osweiler’s contract and acquiring extra draft picks from Houston. But this is one of the most, if not the most, creative trade in NFL history.

14 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Serious Question:

Are there any NFL teams needing a quarterback that could grab Mitch Trubisky before he falls to us at 6?

Aren't we about to get any QB we want?  Methinks so.

SAR I

I don't think this move stops the Browns from drafting a QB. Just gives them a buffer. Also, why in the world would the Jets want Trubisky?

Just read the browns may move osweiler.  They have too much space and can't spend it all.  They get houstons picks, have some of  osweiler's contract on their books for the season and are looking to to trade him for more picks???

Just now, gEYno said:

Take Mike Williams... Get the QB next year.

I know nothing of the draft, I don't watch college football, so I trust your judgement over mine.

But if I look at the 5 teams picking ahead of us, don't they now all have legit starting QB's and therefore won't the Jets be sitting with the pick of the litter at #6?

SAR I

4 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

lol this has to be a joke...if not the Browns truly are the NFL's worst franchise and I just felt a little better about myself. 

The Browns have a ton of cap space that they weren't going to use anyway. They get a free 2nd round pick which is INSANELY valuable. This is one of the Browns best move in years. 

1 minute ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Yowzer. That's a great trade for Cleveland and actually a pretty good trade for Houston to unload that contract. At least they are smart enough to acknowledge a mistake. 

if it was a mistake then how is it great for Cleveland? He still sucks

1 minute ago, jetspenguin said:

and which QB do you want?

I don't watch college football, I have no idea.

However, if the rumors are true and Maccagnan loves Mitch Trubisky and he can start immediately that allows us to do that.

SAR I

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

I know nothing of the draft, I don't watch college football, so I trust your judgement over mine.

But if I look at the 5 teams picking ahead of us, don't they now all have legit starting QB's and therefore won't the Jets be sitting with the pick of the litter at #6?

SAR I

They will, but there isn't really any sure fire QBs to take this year.

Just now, SAR I said:

SAR I

We may certainly be.  But, the litter is a lot nicer next year, and we'll likely be sitting with our pick of it regardless.

Also, don't be surprised if the Browns don't actually keep Osweiller.

2 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

if it was a mistake then how is it great for Cleveland? He still sucks

Cleveland has tons of cap space. They got a 2nd round pick just for absorbing a salary . They arent competing this year anyway. Might as well.

Archived