Osweiler Traded to Browns

CrazyCarl40

Honestly wish the Jets did what the Browns did if the part about cutting him with no cap ramifications after this season is true.

Get some picks and a vet to lead the tank charge. Osweiler is awful.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, smaxor5 said:

Amazing use of cap space for the browns.  They just bought a 2nd Round pick in a deep draft with cap space they weren't going to be able to use.  Well done.

draft-day-jennifer-garner-8001.jpg

...and they said Sonny Weaver wasn't as good as his father.

SAR I

5 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

The Browns have a ton of cap space that they weren't going to use anyway. They get a free 2nd round pick which is INSANELY valuable. This is one of the Browns best move in years. 

hmmm...good point, now I am depressed again

1 minute ago, sourceworx said:

How does the Texans GM survive this? First he gives an unproven QB that kind of money, then has to piss away a second round pick to get rid of him a year later.

Texans made the playoffs two years in a row and will again next year

6 minutes ago, jmat321 said:

Just read the browns may move osweiler.  They have too much space and can't spend it all.  They get houstons picks, have some of  osweiler's contract on their books for the season and are looking to to trade him for more picks???

Yep that seems like the plan! Kind of like the report says, it's like a multi-team basketball trade at this point...

I mean even if they kick him to someone for like a 4th round pick, they come out looking pretty great in this... 

11 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

This is our opportunity to dangle Hackenberg to the Texans is it not

I said this about 6 months ago, and 90% of this board had pitchforks on me because Hack was the future.

6 minutes ago, gEYno said:

This is the full post from Schefter.

NFL stunner: Texans trade QB Brock Osweiler AND a 2018 second-round pick to Cleveland  . . . .  If so, it would turn into a basketball-like trade in which NBA teams routinely trade contracts to get them off their books; only it rarely, if ever, happens in the NFL. It’s hard to remember in the salary-cap era another team when a team traded a contract to get it off its books. But Houston was so anxious to rid itself of Osweiler and move on to its next quarterbacking chapter that it is giving Cleveland extra picks to take him and his contract. The Browns headed into this free-agent signing period with over $100 million worth of salary-cap space and would struggle to spend it all. Now they can devote some of it to Osweiler’s contract and acquiring extra draft picks from Houston. But this is one of the most, if not the most, creative trade in NFL history.

Terry Bradway did the same thing when he added Ryan Young (a 7th round Starting RT for the Jets)  to the Expansion draft list of exposed players to specifically rid the Jets of the contracts for our starting DBs Aaron Glenn & Marcus Coleman. Houston agreed to take both of our starting CBs and their salaries off our books if we also added Young who was the real prize for them. 

16 minutes ago, gEYno said:

It's a great move by the Browns.  They get an extra 2nd round pick and with their 100M in cap space, can hold this contract no problem.  Will be even better if they can flip him for a 3rd or so.

This was my take as well.

They're getting picks to have a potentially better #1 QB.  Clearly they must think Oswellier (the 2016 Glennon) still has upside and potential.

EDIT:  Or as reported above, will cut him.  Lol.

And to get a QB and a 2nd Round Pick, all it costs them in salary, something they have a ton of room for.

It's a risky move on the will he/won't he work out front, as almost all QB moves are, but really it's not a bad move in and of itself for the Browns.

6 minutes ago, SAR I said:

draft-day-jennifer-garner-8001.jpg

...and they said Sonny Weaver wasn't as good as his father.

SAR I

Am I the only one waiting for the obvious sequel to this movie - "Free Agency Day" where Sonny Weaver's replacement, played by Matthew McConaughey, has to deal with the fall out of their two first round picks busting out and needs to clear up cap space to overpay for Mike Glennon?

2 minutes ago, August said:

So Osweiller will be competing with Kessler and RG III for the job or are they going to hand him the job?

It looks like he won't take a snap for the Browns, might not be on the roster.

They did this to eat up cap space they didn't want to spend and got a 2nd round draft pick as a bonus.  It was a financial transaction, they don't want the player.

SAR I

Can you imagine that negotiation:

hou - Yo I have a proposition for you.  You guys need a QB we're prepared to give you the Brock for nothing. *crosses fingers*

cle Wait, what?  You want to give us Brock and don't want anything back?

hou - nada

cle - well we don't want that piece of sh-t here.

hou - whoa!  come on man.....  ok, ok!  we'll give you a 5th rounder if you take him.

cle - uh yeah..  no.  he sucks.  we have the NFL Network here ya know.

hou - fu-k OK..  a 4th rounder and we'll fly him out, and uber him to your stadium.

cle - ... no...  I gotta go man...

hou - COME ON  WTF!!!  sorry sorry...  ok.  We'll give you a 2nd rounder, fly him there, and uber him to your stadium.

cle - I don't know Rick... 

hou - PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!!  *starts crying*

cle - alright alright...  calm the F down...  fine.  call it in.  you owe me one.

1 minute ago, August said:

So Osweiller will be competing with Kessler and RG III for the job or are they going to hand him the job?

He's getting cut. Browns decided that acquiring an Extra 2nd round pick in 2018 is worth their excessive Cap space to absorb and simply dumping the guy and his awful contract.

16 minutes ago, SAR I said:

I know nothing of the draft, I don't watch college football, so I trust your judgement over mine.

But if I look at the 5 teams picking ahead of us, don't they now all have legit starting QB's and therefore won't the Jets be sitting with the pick of the litter at #6?

SAR I

Cleveland is still looking for its franchise QB.  Osweiler is just a bridge to that.  And Cleveland has cap space and a need to meet the spending minimum.  In fact, they could possibly re-gift him to some other team before the draft.  I think Cleveland is still in the QB market.

4 minutes ago, JETSfaninNE said:

This is actually really smart by the Browns.  They basically paid 16million for a 2018 2nd rd pick.  They have 11 picks in each draft (2017 and 2018) 

The Brown are in a far better position for the future than the Jets and IMO it and isn't even close.

So Jets fans can laugh all they want to but the last laugh is unfortunately on us.

Archived