Osweiler Traded to Browns

CrazyCarl40

35 minutes ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Wow, guess that is how you play "moneyball", as long as they hit on a decent % of these draft picks; 

Cleveland's picks over the next two drafts now look like this:

2017: 1, 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 4, 5, 5, 5, 6

2018: 1, 2, 2, 2, 3, 4, 4, 5, 6, 6, 7

They're in great shape.  Plus they can still trade back even more and have what New England had a few years ago where every year they were acquiring extra picks but not feeling the pain because they were trading their "acquired picks" rather than their original picks.  Of course, this system wouldn't work for the Jets because we'd probably go 0-5 on those 2nd rounders.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, varjet said:

Has anyone connected yet that the Texan's GM was Mac's former boss and mentor?

I like Macc, but this is not good.

Not good, in the sense that it has absolutely nothing to do with anything?

Or not good, in the sense that dairy makes me gassy and bloated?

17 hours ago, SAR I said:

Serious Question:

Are there any NFL teams needing a quarterback that could grab Mitch Trubisky before he falls to us at 6?

Aren't we about to get any QB we want?  Methinks so.

SAR I

No, the Los Angeles Chargers at #7 are going to get their choice of any QB they want..

1 hour ago, HessStation said:

The guy just dropped the best Jet and one of the few players fans could be truly proud of over the past 20 years, dropped him (Mangold) like a sad sack of potatoes, and you like him? **** Mac. He has no leash with me. He can EAD at this point. 

Worst of all iIt was probably a personal decision just to make Jets fans angry and definitely not a contract or injury concern. Definitely EAD!!!!

7 hours ago, varjet said:

Has anyone connected yet that the Texan's GM was Mac's former boss and mentor?

I like Macc, but this is not good.

Worse yet he calls up Bill Obrien to ask about QBs, perhaps the most overrated QB guru ever in existence.

30 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Jets Draft Trubisky this year.  Suck in 2017.  Cut Petty.

Jets Draft Darnold in 2018.  Darnold/Trubisky/Hackenberg, the future?

Crazy, but I wouldn't sleep on this actually happening.

Macc will pick a QB every year.

Washington is really a bit of a blue print for doubling down on QBs.  The big and expensive RG#3trade and they still used a 4th on cousins when most teams would not have drafted another QB in the same draft. 

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Washington is really a bit of a blue print for doubling down on QBs.  The big and expensive RG#3trade and they still used a 4th on cousins when most teams would not have drafted another QB in the same draft. 

When you do not have a legit QB, you do what you need to give you as many chances to FIND that legit QB as you reasonably can.

While I'd prefer we actually draft better (Hack was a bad pick IMO), I cannot fault a GM who drafts a QB every year until he finds one that works and is legit.

So if we go QB in round 1, I won't cry too hard about it.  And if we go QB again next year, again, fine.  QB is everything in the modern NFL.  

14 hours ago, rangerous said:

osweiler was part of the 2012 draft.  i know this really doesn't apply to the trade but that was another stinker of a jets draft including such wonders as coples, hill, and davis.  they whiffed for all 7 rounds.  so that makes 3 loser drafts in a row.

Josh Bush played in the super bowl for the Broncos. ;)

45 minutes ago, rex-n-effect said:

Worst of all iIt was probably a personal decision just to make Jets fans angry and definitely not a contract or injury concern. Definitely EAD!!!!

Cutting the player is fine, it's a business, the way it was done was classless, in typical Jets fashion. You extend some type of olive branch to your all timers. Unless you're a POS. IMO 

6 minutes ago, HessStation said:

Cutting the player is fine, it's a business, the way it was done was classless, in typical Jets fashion. You extend some type of olive branch to your all timers. Unless you're a POS. IMO 

?

Didn't they give him an extra few days before the announcement so that he didn't have to tell his family while they were at Disney? 

2 minutes ago, HessStation said:

He got a phone call at Epcot, no negotiation. 

If you don't want him back, why negotiate?  I wouldn't jump up and down and say this was classy, but it is a business and I don't see this as scumbagging him. The horrible situation is that they didn't want him back.  I'm sure if they offered him the amount they are paying Johnson we would be hearing how insulted he was.  I don't blame him for being upset, but the team made him a millionaire, they don't owe him or anything. 

Mike gave me a couple of days to come to grips with it and tell people I wanted to tell ahead of time, so even though it was a horrible situation, I thought they handled it the best way that they could,” Mangold said.

8 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

If you don't want him back, why negotiate?  I wouldn't jump up and down and say this was classy, but it is a business and I don't see this as scumbagging him. The horrible situation is that they didn't want him back.  I'm sure if they offered him the amount they are paying Johnson we would be hearing how insulted he was.  I don't blame him for being upset, but the team made him a millionaire, they don't owe him or anything. 

Mike gave me a couple of days to come to grips with it and tell people I wanted to tell ahead of time, so even though it was a horrible situation, I thought they handled it the best way that they could,” Mangold said.

For everyone else I agree Dom. For an all time great, I Disagree, the team didn't make him anything. He made himself a millionaire. As an organization, you make it right or do everything you can to make it right for your all time greats. You sit down with him and you try to make it right. If he doesn't except you still tried to make right. You negotiate, you try to keep him in the organization, I get that it's at a different price. But you try, he walks you make sure he knows he's welcomed back anytime. You show your all time great a different amount of respect imo. And he's literally been their only all time great for more than almost 30 years now. 

3 minutes ago, HessStation said:

For everyone else I agree Dom. For an all time great, I Disagree, the team didn't make him anything. He made himself a millionaire. As an organization, you make it right or do everything you can to make it right for your all time greats. You sit down with him and you try to make it right. If he doesn't except you still tried to make right. You negotiate, you try to keep him in the organization, I get that it's at a different price. But you try, he walks you make sure he knows he's welcomed back anytime. You show your all time great a different amount of respect imo. And he's literally been their only all time great for more than almost 30 years now. 

I don't disagree, it just doesn't anger me.  He should have expected it.  I am sure the same thing happened with D'Brick.  

11 hours ago, Il Mostro said:

Whoa, Nancy.  What's with all the name calling?  In caps, no less.   Panties on a little too tight?  Now you are back peddling on the Richardson part of your trade?  That was the crux of your absurd trade thesis. You need to re-think the meaning of "contribution" if this is what you are bringing to the party.  Che stronzo.

Easy snowflake wouldn't want ya to melt. I'm not back peddling on anything. I said maybe the Richardson idea was far-fetched but I would still do it if it was presented. It was not the "crux" of anything. Now you say the whole idea is absurd but provide nothing of substance to base it on. Just another Testa di cazzo frequenting this site. Vaffanculo.

19 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

The Brown are in a far better position for the future than the Jets and IMO it and isn't even close.

So Jets fans can laugh all they want to but the last laugh is unfortunately on us.

Who's laughing? 

20 hours ago, Pac said:

They gave a 2nd rounder to get rid of him..  that's incredible.

And his salary which thus amounts to 16 million for a 2nd rounder. That's alot of gizzap for a 2nd rounder. Granted they may move Osweiler but will have to eat most of that salary.  Browns also sent their 4th to Houston. Bizzaro. 

27 minutes ago, Powpow said:

And his salary which thus amounts to 16 million for a 2nd rounder. That's alot of gizzap for a 2nd rounder. Granted they may move Osweiler but will have to eat most of that salary.  Browns also sent their 4th to Houston. Bizzaro. 

The sent their 4th and get a 6th.  The Browns are actually at the point where they have to spend to be in compliance with the cap.  The Jets filled this need in 2015 by getting a bunch of overpriced vets.  The Browns got a 2nd.  Which would you prefer? 

Rumors are the Browns want Jimmy G. It would take a lot to get him. Not sure why they would be unwilling to give Osweiller a chance. Or at least keep him on the roster to compete. Since they have already paid for him. Rumors said they are willing to pick up half of that 16 mil. But the guy was going to be Denver's starter after Peyton retired. Is he really that bad. To me worth giving a chance to even if it's the Jets picking him up as a free agent if cut. 

On 3/10/2017 at 0:20 PM, Smashmouth said:

Cleveland just got some picks and will probably cut Osweiler next year...I think 

And they released RG III within 24 hours of the trade so that saved about 7M on the cap and avoided the roster bonus

decent trade for both teams, did not look good for Brock initially but he could get another chance, especially if you consider the potential between RG III and Brock is about the same

On 3/10/2017 at 0:18 PM, #27TheDominator said:

The sent their 4th and get a 6th.  The Browns are actually at the point where they have to spend to be in compliance with the cap.  The Jets filled this need in 2015 by getting a bunch of overpriced vets.  The Browns got a 2nd.  Which would you prefer? 

Just saying, why are those 2 bad options the only 2 choices? There are other things the team could do, like signing young veteran players instead (and not to mention the Jets overspent by a good amount more than $16m on those veterans).

If the team is so desperate to spend cash, then why not further front load the contracts for Zeiter and especially Collins instead of backloading them as they did? They'd then spend the same cash this year, but would have more to spend in the future on known-quantity players. If I'm them I'd rather upgrade from a low-end starter/high-end backup (like Ijalana) at $6m/year to a far more reliable starter at $10m/year. 

Not to mention they got the trade equivalent of a mid-late 3rd rounder this year, since the Texans' 2nd rounder is in 2018, (145 points); and a 6th rounder this year (15 points); but are giving back a (low) 4th rounder in 2017 (35 points). The net generic chart value they receive is roughly 125 points, or a bottom 3rd round pick this year (~29th pick in round 3).

That's not enough for a guaranteed $16m. Houston got the better of this trade; Cleveland came to their rescue. 

5 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Francesa basically said that in the draft you're dealing with unknown commodities while if you have cash, you can get known commodities. He would rather have the cash than the picks, because you are guaranteed not to hit on all of your picks

Well, he's ******* moron. 

Archived