Letting PSL Lapse and not Renewing Tickets in 2017

I've had a PSL for the past 5+ years. This year, I will most likely not be renewing my season tickets. I paid 5k (in full) for 2 lowerlevel endzone PSLs. I figured why send 3k down the drain for this year and just let the PSL lapse. I have tried to sell on a few websites, but clearly there will not be any takers.

Curious to see how many others are doing the same this year or at least considering. 

you are not alone. I HATE the idea of sending in my payment for this years season ticket-the team is hot garbage, the coach is hot garbage on fire and the GM is terrible as well. I have been a fan since I was a kid and going since shea-have had tickets since shea in the family. I own psls which are fully paid and I HATE that there is no good way out. If I could get out and recoup some of my money I would do it in a heart beat and never look back-if they can make me crack anybody is next... I thiknk after the end of next year, if they dont clean house and bring in people that I have at least some confidence in. I will just walk away as well after exploring all options to sell my psls

the jets called me after reading my review. I had mercy on the woman as she was a nice woman just doing her job but I told her there are some things that they can address -the major issues are parking and poor security. I was told they hired a consulting firm to come in last year and check out the parking nightmare....

I had 2 PSL's in 229 for 5 years. I completely walked away. I am done with them. I just looked at it as a money pit. Fought with myself night and day about renewing one more year, and I just couldn't do it. This year, we are going to STINK. It's cheaper to way away, then to sink $2,750 into another season. It sucks that I paid in full, and had to just walk away. They are worthless on the market though. We have another thread on the boards with people who are buying them for pennies on the dollar. While thats awesome, having to buy the actual tickets is the burden you take one. Yes the 5K PSL is now only 250 bucks, but the tickets are the enemy. No one wants the seats. 

1 hour ago, Hofstra Jet said:

I had 2 PSL's in 229 for 5 years. I completely walked away. I am done with them. I just looked at it as a money pit. Fought with myself night and day about renewing one more year, and I just couldn't do it. This year, we are going to STINK. It's cheaper to way away, then to sink $2,750 into another season. It sucks that I paid in full, and had to just walk away. They are worthless on the market though. We have another thread on the boards with people who are buying them for pennies on the dollar. While thats awesome, having to buy the actual tickets is the burden you take one. Yes the 5K PSL is now only 250 bucks, but the tickets are the enemy. No one wants the seats. 

That sucks and I feel bad for you and any other fan who's had to do this. 

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

That sucks and I feel bad for you and any other fan who's had to do this. 

Yea.. To be honest, the money wasn't an investment or anything of the sorts, so I was ok with walking away. I had a blast for the time I had the seats. I can still go, but I just figured why pay face for a ticket i can get for cheaper. 

Can't justify spending 3k on tickets when you can get individual tickets for 50% or less than face value when they suck and at or near face value when they are halfway decent. There is little incentive to sit in the same seats game after game when its just a cesspool of miserable f**ks who are in the same boat. The atmosphere at Metlife is not what I thought it would be when I got the tickets, even when we had the run in 2015.  

Not sure how some people on this site think they are getting PSLs for "cents on the dollar.' No, you are getting them at market value because no idiot in their right mind is buying them directly from the Jets at this point in time or at any point in the foreseeable future.

Thought this would be interesting for the discussion. I have season tix and will not be renewing. I've had them for the past three seasons and bought them at what I thought was a low point for 20% of what the original person paid. Here's the interesting part. I researched what others pay for their tix. My tix are currently $132.50 per ticket in section 123. As a Giants season ticket holder I would only pay $123.20. There's no argument they have been a lot better and it's the same stadium financed by both PSLs. I then started looking at other teams and what I would pay in my equivalent section. Here's the breakdown:

Browns- $65

Falcons- $100

Ravens- $107

Panthers- $110

Bears- $95

Bengals- $80

Titans- $78

49ers- $125

Steelers- $101

Eagles- $110

Vikings- $100

Texans- $103

Cowboys- $99

The Seahawks and Colts don't have anything comparable that are available. Anyways, don't mind walking. It was never an investment. I only bought the tix because of the low price I got the PSL for and I love the section with an aisle seat. I was hoping it was something me and my son would be able to do as he got older. I was initially against buying one and going the stubhub route. I have no regrets about the purchase but it has been miserable and I don't even enjoy going anymore. My rep doesn't seem to mind either. I shared these comparisons in prices and they already got the $4,000 in payment from the guy I bought mine from. Apparently when the team is good again they think the price per seat will be a value for the STH. I laughed at that before ending our conversation.

Thanks for sharing. I am in my late 20s and bought them with my father thinking the same thing. The atmosphere at Metlife (both due to size and Stubhub) is quite upsetting. No matter how well the Jets are, NY will always be top on the list for opposing fans to visit. You can't even bring up the excuse "they sucked last year." Week 1 last year against Cincy and the place was absolutely filled with Bengals fans. And this was a year of promise, maybe some false promise, but coming off a 10-6 season with a similar crew back again you would think the place would be electric. I have very little hope for the crowd and atmosphere to regain form within the next 5+ years and don't plan giving the Jets $15k in the meantime.

Just to add. I've attended every game (for the last 3 years)since I bought them and never sold on stubhub. I think I'm one of a few, at least in my section, that can say that. And it's quite a feat considering how terrible they've been in those years and the meaningless cold weather games. The person in front of me attends most but other than that it's unfamiliar faces. The place is about to get more dreary because if someone like me is walking I can't imagine those that sell a portion and constantly taking a loss on their sales staying. Anyways, like you mtwarlock, I can't justify the cost anymore and would rather spend the money for a really nice family vacation.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

We have seen the same.  I had not missed a game since we bought the tickets before 2 games this year (lucky I was stuck overseas for work).  It's been very rare to see the same faces week after week. 

When the market value of the tickets drop 30% before the season even starts it makes little sense to continue, which I predict will last the next 3-5 years. It's basically a wash walking away from the PSL if that trend continues.  Only now we lose out on a fancy jets umbrella each season.

Looking forward to having the pick of the litter of seats in the coming seasons. 

Enjoy your vacation! Already spent my 3k on a 9 day trip to Italy! Much better alternative than a 10 game package to the circus.

I had seats in 229, LOVED the section for a few years, but we all decided to drop the seats. It was 17 of us, and within 2 years, every one of the 17 of us had dropped the seats. I have been back via free seats and the stubhub route, and I always look over to my old section.. EMPTY... No one will buy those seats.. 

• 1 month later...

Well payment was due May 1, 2017 and I didn't pay it. My brother and I have been STH for 20 years. Just can't justify throwing away more money. When I sit in the stadium and the person next to me paid $48 a ticket.  I'll buy on stub hub for 1/2 the cost. When they improve I'll pay a little more but until then I'll probably save $3,000 a year for at least 3 years. 

What a shame.. When I did call the Jets rep. A few weeks ago, they offered me an on field experience or signed item if that would help me make the decision to pay again.

5 hours ago, SteveJet said:

Well payment was due May 1, 2017 and I didn't pay it. My brother and I have been STH for 20 years. Just can't justify throwing away more money. When I sit in the stadium and the person next to me paid $48 a ticket.  I'll buy on stub hub for 1/2 the cost. When they improve I'll pay a little more but until then I'll probably save $3,000 a year for at least 3 years. 

What a shame.. When I did call the Jets rep. A few weeks ago, they offered me an on field experience or signed item if that would help me make the decision to pay again.

Didn't make my payment either. I haven't heard from the Jets ticket office, guess they don't plan on wasting their time with me. Completely agree on saving money the next few years. Metlife is going to be one sorry place to be next year if they start 0-2 and lose to the dolphins in the season home opener. Hoping Hack is the truth and shows a hint of promise. If not, may god have mercy on the Jets and the season ticket holders next season.

There is one Hail Mary X factor that would make me hold on to the tickets 1 more year, Sam Darnold now I know the odds the Jets get the 1st are not guaranteed, but this might be the closest chance they have at getting it since 96, I'm a full believer that Darnold is the next can't miss prospect whether you agree or not I'm not gonna argue just stating my opinion.  And if by some miracle the Jets land Darnold in next years draft, and he has a complete 180 his first year under center alla Luck your PSL's just increased 1000% IMO, guys selling 5k psls for 250 will be getting full price as the upper deck will be sold out in minutes, and PSL's will be the only way to go, and after market tickets outside of night games, or holiday weekend games will be fetching top dollar to equal value at worst, or you can just go to every game, and be pumped to get to watch actual NFL caliber QB play and a winning product and forget about the money that feels wasted now, but will feel well worth it then.

Its a risky gamble, but not out of the realm of possibility.

20 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

There is one Hail Mary X factor that would make me hold on to the tickets 1 more year, Sam Darnold now I know the odds the Jets get the 1st are not guaranteed, but this might be the closest chance they have at getting it since 96, I'm a full believer that Darnold is the next can't miss prospect whether you agree or not I'm not gonna argue just stating my opinion.  And if by some miracle the Jets land Darnold in next years draft, and he has a complete 180 his first year under center alla Luck your PSL's just increased 1000% IMO, guys selling 5k psls for 250 will be getting full price as the upper deck will be sold out in minutes, and PSL's will be the only way to go, and after market tickets outside of night games, or holiday weekend games will be fetching top dollar to equal value at worst, or you can just go to every game, and be pumped to get to watch actual NFL caliber QB play and a winning product and forget about the money that feels wasted now, but will feel well worth it then.

Its a risky gamble, but not out of the realm of possibility.

IF, that happens, you will still be able to get the tickets for cheaper than a season ticket holder for the most part. Not having to pay for worthless preseason tickets is a savings that can't be forgotten. If you have 2 mezzanine seats at 130 a pop, you are saving 520 bucks on the tickets alone. If Darnold is not the truth, or we do not land him, and are back to mediocrity, or even worse, cellar dwellers, your reasoning backfired. 

If you drop now, save all of the money you would have spent this season, next year, you will come out on top. 

1 hour ago, OH THE PAIN said:

You guys are all newbies . Try attending games from the late 1970's until now . It's even harder to consider giving them up . But even I'm getting to the breaking point .

OH THE PAIN aka no psls. You are an a.hole. I know that, you know that and half the board knows that. But you are one tough SOB who sticks with Jets every year. That's why, you have my utmost respect. Kudos to you and every other Jets season ticket holder who will stick with this team this year. 

12 hours ago, Fibonacci said:

OH THE PAIN aka no psls. You are an a.hole. I know that, you know that and half the board knows that. But you are one tough SOB who sticks with Jets every year. That's why, you have my utmost respect. Kudos to you and every other Jets season ticket holder who will stick with this team this year. 

I knew Fibonacci was a softee ...

download (8).jpg

I've been buying tickets on Stubhub for a few years and going to about 4 games a year with my 2 sons. Finally decided this was the year to buy 3 psl's on the secondary market. I'm looking to see what anyone's experience with Jets customer service has been like. So far I'm not impressed.

My rep is Nicole Arteca and she has seemed nice enough. She even mentioned to me that I should check in with the team starting in May to see if any inventory had opened up, allowing us to move either closer to the field or closer to the 50. Making that call was a BIG MISTAKE. Nicole was out and the guy who I talked to was a complete jerk. He told me straight up that we "haven't even had our butts in the seats yet and we're looking to move?" I then told him I've been to more games than he thinks and that he and the Jets should be happy that anyone would buy into their psl's with the shape this team is in. His answer? "What do you want.....what are you looking for.... what are you looking for us to give you... because we can't give you anything or else we'd have to do the same for every psl owner.... do you have season tickets to any other team and do they allow you to move your seats?" Very snotty and rude. Just a total and complete jerk.

WTH is this garbage? This is how the Jets treat their fans who are either sticking with them or buying into psl's even though the team is in shambles? I'm on the 4 payment plan and I'm seriously thinking about getting a refund and just eating the cost of the psl's and going back to buying a few games a year on Stubhub. The savings on tickets will more than make up for my loss on the psl's.

Btw, my seats are club seats and the tickets cost $6604 a year for all 3. I realize that's a drop in the bucket to an NFL team but if this is how they are gonna treat people, I'll walk and not have to deal with their garbage. Anyone else had similar experiences? New to Jetnation and looking for some input before deciding. Thanks

4 hours ago, foxgt90 said:

I've been buying tickets on Stubhub for a few years and going to about 4 games a year with my 2 sons. Finally decided this was the year to buy 3 psl's on the secondary market. I'm looking to see what anyone's experience with Jets customer service has been like. So far I'm not impressed.

My rep is Nicole Arteca and she has seemed nice enough. She even mentioned to me that I should check in starting with the team starting in May to see if any inventory had opened up, allowing us to move either closer to the field or closer to the 50. Making that call was a BIG MISTAKE. Nicole was out and the guy who I talked to was a complete jerk. He told me straight up that we "haven't even had our butts in the seats yet and we're looking to move?" I then told him I've been to more games than he thinks and that he and the Jets should be happy that anyone would buy into their psl's with the shape this team is in. His answer? "What do you want.....what are you looking for.... what are you looking for us to give you... because we can't give you anything or else we'd have to do the same for every psl owner.... do you have season tickets to any other team and do they allow you to move your seats?" Very snotty and rude. Just a total and complete jerk.

WTH is this garbage? This is how the Jets treat their fans who are either sticking with them or buying into psl's even though the team is in shambles? I'm on the 4 payment plan and I'm seriously thinking about getting a refund and just eating the cost of the psl's and going back to buying a few games a year on Stubhub. The savings on tickets will more than make up for my loss on the psl's.

Btw, my seats are club seats and the tickets cost $6604 a year for all 3. I realize that's a drop in the bucket to an NFL team but if this is how they are gonna treat people, I'll walk and not have to deal with their garbage. Anyone else had similar experiences? New to Jetnation and looking for some input before deciding. Thanks

That's messed up.  I would report that pr*ck to management.

You are right, they should be kissing your *ss right now, not to mention every STH's *ss.

I am looking to upgrade as well.  My rep is Roberto who is very courteous and professional.

When he is not in I just call the ticket office and ask whoever picks up the phone to check inventory for me.  Never had an issue.

Yeah, maybe he just wasn't interested in helping someone he's not assigned to. Idk. Nicole has been very good. It just p*ssed me off that he kept asking me what i want from him and then repeating that they're not going to give me anything. I'm not looking for any freebies. I'm simply looking to check the inventory as my rep suggested. I was on the fence about buying PSL'S and making such a financial commitment as it was and once i did, I definitely didn't expect to find out the team treats STH's like crap. Thanks for the input.

When I called them to drop my seats, they were extremely rude. I wound up hanging up on the guy, and a few days later got a call back. They must get a ton of calls per day from people dropping their seats, or complaining about something that they don't know how to treat the loyal customers. The ticket people are seasonal workers for the most part. Dead end job with no real need 8 months of the year. 

20 hours ago, Flushing Roots said:

That's messed up.  I would report that pr*ck to management.

You are right, they should be kissing your *ss right now, not to mention every STH's *ss.

I am looking to upgrade as well.  My rep is Roberto who is very courteous and professional.

When he is not in I just call the ticket office and ask whoever picks up the phone to check inventory for me.  Never had an issue.

Roberto is my rep too and I agree, he's great

I walked away about 4 years ago and it was the best decision.  I had 2 good seats in section 109 on the 15 yard line.  Like others have mentioned the people around me were always changing, never the same fans and they were buying tickets for $40-$60 while I was paying full price $140 per ticket and the cost of the PSL $10,000 ($5000 per seat).  When you look at what people were paying last year in a bad season $10-$15 with a parking pass on stub hub it really was a no brainer.  I also now use that money take a family weekend to visit a different city and watch our Jets at an away game.  

I believe the vision Woody Johnson had with his own stadium in Manhattan would have been top notch and had Jets Home field advantage, but Silver and  Crooked politics got in the way.  Having to jump back in with the Giants at Met Life was a knee jerk reaction and unfortunately the stadium is really not fun or nice to watch a game with home field advantage.  Now I pick up a game ticket once in a while to take my kids to the game but prefer watching at home now.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm an original season ticket holder from 1964, I paid for 2 PSL's and when I called my ticket agent from the Jets this year and asked if I did not renew my tickets for one year will I lose my tickets. he said yes!!! So I renewed my tickets for this year but am very frustrated with the direction and that I had to pay $7500.00 for each PSL!! I would love to try and recoup some of my PSL money and walk away for good. This is how you treat a season ticket holder for 53 years!!!

Has anyone had any success getting some of their monies back from the PSL?? Thanks

On 6/7/2017 at 3:25 PM, mtwarlock31 said:

Very grateful I wound up selling my PSL for "pennies on the dollar" 2 weeks ago instead of paying "dollars for pennies" on season tickets this year.

How did and where did you sell your PSL's? Thanks

45 minutes ago, grinch817 said:

How did and where did you sell your PSL's? Thanks

Pslsource.com

Very painless and simple process. After I sold the tickets, I wasn't sure how smoothly the process would be working with the Jets. Per the PSLsource rep I worked with.. "I have been working directly with someone on the Jets very frequently." I received the payout about 2 weeks after I accepted the buyer's bid and about a week after the transfer was finalized with the Jets.

Obviously I took a substantial hit on selling the tickets, but I was already walking away from the PSL. I have the money, but have no interest buying a product (2017 season tickets) that has virtually no resale value.

Honestly if you are trying to bail out of you PSL's at this point you just were either delusional when you bought them or are terrible at financial decisions.

PSL's were never and will never be an investment.

The odds of owning PSL's to a winning team are less than 38%

The odds of owning PSL's to a superbowl team are slim to none

The odds of feeling like you got a good value after 7 years was about 5% (if you thought otherwise shame on you)

I spent $30,000 (psl) on two seats and still pay $3,500 a year for tickets. I knew this cost in 2009 when we bought them and I knew it would be the cost for 1 win or 16 wins... if you thought anything else of the purchase or the JETS you were lying to yourself. 

I am happy to have some amazing seats, have had some great times and will have many more memories. It is a luxury purchase and I am glad to have the luxury.

14 hours ago, ECURB said:

Honestly if you are trying to bail out of you PSL's at this point you just were either delusional when you bought them or are terrible at financial decisions.

PSL's were never and will never be an investment.

Who said they were an investment? Was curious to see who was walking away this season. When I got the seats 5+ years ago I was not traveling overseas 10+ times a year for work and unable to make games. People's commitments change over the course of their lives. Glad you have the next 30 years of your life planned out for you. Not my fault for wanting anything but upper deck season tickets for the few years I have been in the area while my father has been able to go to games with me, and I paid the PSL premium for it. But when I can't make half the games the next 2-3 years, can't sell them for 50% less the face value, or even GIVE THEM AWAY, what is the purpose of owning season tickets? Not everyone has the luxury of being able to go for the next 30 years. I do not understand why some people on this forum do not get that.  

Archived