Jets Sign Offensive Tackle Kelvin Beachum

JetNation

Beachum.jpg

By Glenn Naughton

After a quiet first day of free Agency, the New York Jets have imported their first free agent, adding offensive tackle Kelvin Beachum.

A former Pittsburgh Steeler and Jacksonville Jaguar, Beachum became a free agent when he was cut loose by the Jags several weeks ago after struggling mightily in his first season in sunny Florida.

Beachum was targeted by Gang Green last season prior to the retirement of D’Brickashaw Ferguson, but he opted instead to sign with Gus Bradley and company.

Beachum gives the Jets an experienced young player who has spent time at both left and right tackle.  Despite the recent re-signing of one of their own free agents, Ben Ijalana, look for the two to compete for the starting left tackle spot.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
Wkm86TNzhRo

Click here to read the full story...

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unless this is for $10m/year with a couple of years guaranteed, it's a good signing. At 27 years old and another year removed from his ACL injury, I like this signing much better than trying to get another 1-year deal out of Clady. Luckily Clady turned it down. 

The only downside (in signing both him and Ijalana) is that in the upcoming draft we'll be staying away from LT prospects like they're radioactive.

21 minutes ago, AFJF said:

I'll wait for the numbers, but it has the feel of a good signing.  Whoever the QB is will need a LT.  If you want to evaluate Petty and Hack, best to do it with at little vet experience right over their left shoulders.  Let Beachum be a bridge to a better future LT not yet on the roster, so I hope its not a long term deal.  Also, its a pretty weak LT draft class, maybe weakest position in the draft.

Curious to see how much, but I like it.  He's still young and this essentially gives the Jets the opportunity for Beachum, Ijalana, and Shell to battle it out for the two tackle spots.  They've all played both spots, and let the best men win.  Obviously that could change if Beachum's deal is for a lot or long-term, but even then, I can't imagine him losing out to both of those guys.  If that were to happen, let's hope it's only for good reasons.

12 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Unless this is for $10m/year with a couple of years guaranteed, it's a good signing. At 27 years old and another year removed from his ACL injury, I like this signing much better than trying to get another 1-year deal out of Clady. Luckily Clady turned it down. 

The only downside (in signing both him and Ijalana) is that in the upcoming draft we'll be staying away from LT prospects like they're radioactive.

OT is weak is this draft. I want them focusing on where draft is deepest. Rather than 'need' at weak positions.

18 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

OT is weak is this draft. I want them focusing on where draft is deepest. Rather than 'need' at weak positions.

Drafts are considered weak at a position when there's no one considered a lock top-5 player at the position (if it's a position people draft in the top 5), and if there aren't 5-10 good prospects at the position. We don't (or didn't) need 8 LTs; we need just 1, and we don't necessarily need to spend the #6 overall pick at the position.

If Beachum looks really good again, now that he's that much more removed from his knee injury, then it would be a waste of a draft pick to take another one high of course. 

Anyway, this is me giving Maccagnan praise for the signing. In the past he was chiefly signing 30something veterans, or young veterans who have never been good starters before. This would be a major improvement (unless he sucks lol). 

I wanted Beachum so I'm glad we signed him.  We'll now have six guys fighting to be on
the starting OLine under 28 years old:

Beachum
Carpenter
Johnson
Winters
Ijalana
Shell

We now don't have to reach for an OL early in the draft

28 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

Laugh if you want but he is a solid LT. 

He is?

35 minutes ago, JetNation said:

....he was cut loose by the Jags several weeks ago after struggling mightily in his first season in sunny Florida.

What is all that "struggled mightily" about then?

1 minute ago, KRL said:

I wanted Beachum so I'm glad we signed him.  We'll now have six guys fighting to be on

Beachum
Carpenter
Johnson
Winters
Ijalana
Shell

What I was saying before is that it isn't that we won't reach for an OL early in the draft; it's that we won't touch one in the first 4 rounds even if the prospect's value is there (other than a center, of course). While not impossible, I'll be very surprised if we touch any G or T prior to the 6th round, if we take one at all. 

Last year that guy was coming back from a lower leg surgery just like Wilkerson was . Is it any wonder that 2 guys who couldn't train during the off season struggled with power issues ? I Fully expect both players to rebound this coming season .

19 minutes ago, KRL said:

Beachum
Carpenter
Johnson
Winters
Ijalana
Shell

It would not shock me if we drafted a Center.

Archived