Jets Sign Offensive Tackle Kelvin Beachum

JetNation

If he's healthy he's solid!

I actually still expect the Jets to take a development OT in one of the later rounds, but like others have said there's no need to reach at the moment.

It's young still but this has been a really nice offseason for a team trying to develop an identity. 

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, KRL said:

I wanted Beachum so I'm glad we signed him.  We'll now have six guys fighting to be on
the starting OLine under 28 years old:

Beachum
Carpenter
Johnson
Winters
Ijalana
Shell

We now don't have to reach for an OL early in the draft

Beachum was the LT I wanted them to target so I'm happy with this move too

3 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Unless this is for $10m/year with a couple of years guaranteed, it's a good signing. At 27 years old and another year removed from his ACL injury, I like this signing much better than trying to get another 1-year deal out of Clady. Luckily Clady turned it down. 

The only downside (in signing both him and Ijalana) is that in the upcoming draft we'll be staying away from LT prospects like they're radioactive.

May not be true....they could look at someone later to develop.  I really don't think this was the year to look for a franchise LT though.  The guys at the top I would not want to be spending a #6 on. 

Good signing.  I think we will be most definitely grabbing a CB with either 1 or 2.

4 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Unless this is for $10m/year with a couple of years guaranteed, it's a good signing. At 27 years old and another year removed from his ACL injury, I like this signing much better than trying to get another 1-year deal out of Clady. Luckily Clady turned it down. 

The only downside (in signing both him and Ijalana) is that in the upcoming draft we'll be staying away from LT prospects like they're radioactive.

Macc knows there are no tackles to take at the top of the first. So odds are any tackle they take will be a project. 

he had an option from Jacksonville for a base salary of $7.5 million and $1 million option bonus for $8.5 million cap hit this season, is it safe to say it's less than that for this season?  Potential steal if so.

11 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Drafts are considered weak at a position when there's no one considered a lock top-5 player at the position (if it's a position people draft in the top 5), and if there aren't 5-10 good prospects at the position. We don't need 8 OTs; we need 1, and we don't necessarily need to spend the #6 overall pick at the position.

If Beachum looks really good again, now that he's that much more removed from his knee injury, then it would be a waste of a draft pick to take another one high of course. 

Anyway, this is me giving Maccagnan praise for the signing. In the past he was chiefly signing 30something veterans, or young veterans who have never been good starters before. This would be a major improvement (unless he sucks lol). 

They are considered deep when there are so many starting caliber prospects at a position group that they can't all be picked in R1, when there are an inordinate amount of position groups that fit that description, and/or when there is blue chip talent (or elite) available outside the top 5-8 draft spots.

This draft has been described all 3 ways, in everything I've read. Also described as particularly weak at OL. 

Given our amount of needs, maxing our picks on deep position groups makes the most out of the late picks. Meaning a 3rd round CB this year is going to be better than usual, while a 3rd round OT is going to be worse than usual because that position group is weak.

36 minutes ago, Larz said:

Is getting cut after struggling mightily a bad thing?

I'm more focus on the why . This player was good enough prior to knee surgery to protect  the L/S of the Steelers OL . NFL teams thought enough of him to engage in a bidding for him following his return to action. It's 2 years post surgery and the ability to workout out  with confidence in his repaired knee should be advantageous .

I understand it's doom and gloom around here, but why do you folks insist in muddling in misery .

23 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

I'm more focus on the why . This player was good enough prior to knee surgery to protect  the L/S of the Steelers OL . NFL teams thought enough of him to engage in a bidding for him following his return to action. It's 2 years post surgery and the ability to workout out  with confidence in his repaired knee should be advantageous .

I understand it's doom and gloom around here, but why do you folks insist in muddling in misery .

The answer may just be that some teams' front offices arent that good.  The Jags basically dumped Beachem in order to sign Brandon Albert, an older, more injury prone player.  On paper that just doesnt make any sense.  I think this will be an excellent move for the team long term as Beachem should be much improved one year after surgery.

It's frustrating reading these boards and seeing most repeat verbatim what every so call expert who just happen to have a forum dispels as his truth about these prospects only to change their opinions later due to something that has absolutely nothing that occurs on the football field during an actual game .  A kid goes out on the football field, masters the scheme he's given at the highest level and is downgraded due to some opinion .

Folks, watch the games if you can, formulate your own opinions and project those opinions base on what you know .

A blind man can listen to a broadcast of a cardinal game and tell you that McCaffrey is a special player with the Football .  Anyone who has ever led can see the leadership abilities of a player like Watson .  If you have ever paid attention to certain positions, you notice traits that exist between certain players that align with former great players. 

Numbers don't show these attributes, and if they did, certain guys  would never be drafted and others would . A small example of this is the careers of 2 NFL players . Wayne Chrebet and Marcus colston  who both played football at a small town college that I'm not sure even has a football program anymore . When Chrebet was at Hostra, he led the nation in catches and displayed hands like glue . If the ball was near him, it didn't hit the ground, yet this kid was considered not good enough to even warrant a draft pick  due to his size and speed . When he left, Marcus Colston displaying the same sure handedness of his predecessor, broke every record or almost every record Chrebet left at the same school. Despite having ideal size and above average speed he was passed over time and time again by the so- call experts .

Football is about what happens on the field and how well you can execute what you're being taught . When you excel at what you're supposed to do, why are you then questioned moving forward .  It takes a love for what you do, a desire to be the best at what you do and the willingness to be taught how to do it . That's what you look for in a draft pick, not how fast they run or how high they jump . When the 1st 3  meet the last 2, you end up with a HOF player .   

End sermon

That is all . 

good signing but they should still grab an OT in the draft just for depth purposes if nothing else.  it takes about 3 seasons for an oline to completely gell and even if beachem works out well this and next season at some point he will need to be replaced. having an oline of beachum, carpernter, johnson, winters and shell seems pretty good, on paper.

5 hours ago, hawk said:

he had an option from Jacksonville for a base salary of $7.5 million and $1 million option bonus for $8.5 million cap hit this season, is it safe to say it's less than that for this season?  Potential steal if so.

Very close too those numbers for his Per..

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

So Ijalana is a 5.5 mill a year backup eh?

He will probably start at RT.. Capertenter and Winters at guard and Johnson at Center.. 

starting line barring anything major 

Beachum- Winters- Johnson- Carpenter - Ijalana

Archived