Geno Visiting Giants

JetsFanatic

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply
55 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Started hating Geno the moment he was drafted, to this day I believe we gave up too soon on Mark Sanchez, it's rare you find a clutch playoff QB, even more rare for a dysfunctional organization to move on so quickly after significant success.  None of this was Geno's fault, however.

Really started hating Geno in his rookie season where he couldn't patch together back to back wins.  Win, lose, win, lose, win, lose the epitome of inconsistency.  He was just a rookie, so it was unfair for me to be so angry at him, but again he cost us Sanchez and he didn't look any better.

Absolutely started hating Geno in his disastrous 4-12 season, he took a step backwards as a player and a man, all that nasty behavior came out in full form, the Tweets, the dick pics, the media boycott, throwing players under the bus.

The point of no return for me to see him as a player or team leader was the $600 punch combined with the Oakland game where he cost us our 11th win and the playoffs.  When he went down against the Ravens, I just laughed, it was typical of him.

But what really put me over the top and detest this guy are fans in this forum who support him simply because of his ethnicity.  In all my years participating as a Jets fan, I've never seen racism creep in to our culture or conversations and it sickens me.

SAR I

Interesting perspective. But let me ask you this, and for the sake of the argument since you said we gave up on Mark too soon. How much longer were you willing to stick with Mark and how do you explain the fact that Mark hasn't been able to hold a starting job since he left here? If he was as good as you claim, for example Philly never trades for Bradford as they would feel Mark was good enough to be their guy. Why did Denver cut Mark in favor of a 7th round unproven quarterback? Imo you can't be upset at Geno because Mark wasn't good enough to ensure that he holds his starting job. Teams don't give up on 26 year old franchise quarterbacks. And the way Sanchez's career has gone since he left here imo validated our decision to move on from him. 

What tweets were you talking about? Was there something that he specifically said? Imo he progressed between year 1 and year 2 as a player, he was a disaster for the most part in his rookie year, although he did have his moments (MNF vs The Falcons, 2nd Pats game etc) but he improved he went from 55% completion to 59%, he cut down his interceptions from 21 to 13, his QB rating went up from 66% to 77%, sacks went down from 43 to 28, the problem in year 2 was inconsistency, he would look good for a few drives, move the ball well between the 20's but couldn't put up points, we settled for a lot of field goals or the bad decision making at times. But you can live with it since we as a team had low expectations in terms of team success and we were developing a quarterback. Anyway, who cares about dick pics? Him sending out personal pics to a woman and she leaking it is an indictment on Geno? Why did he stage a media boycott? And which players did he throw under the bus? 

He could've paid the 600 dollars but that's not cause for someone to get punched in the jaw especially guys that are already making decent salary. And out of all the other losses why is the Raider game specifically the reason why we didn't win our 11th game and cost us the playoffs? You mention racism so how do you explain the white fans that support Geno? Are they supporting him based on his race based on your logic? Also if there are people backing Geno because of race maybe it's them backing a guy that gets called racist epithets FIRST, so in theory your issue should be with people who are racists against Geno not the ones who defend him against said racism. 

11 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Again? We already had our moment in 2016 when Ryan Fitzpatrick sh*t the bed as the Jets starting QB. 

Joe, you are one of my favorite posters on this site, your Jets passion is unrelenting. But two things:

1) Ryan Fitzpatrick sh*tting the bed does not mean Geno Smith is good. There is literally zero correlation, if anything, it hurts Genos case even more, because those who watched them both closer than anyone, daily, chose Fitzpatrick. So if Fitzpatrick sucks, and he sure does, what does that tell you bout one GenoSmith?

2) You normally have such high standards for your QB's, what is it about Geno that drops your standards so low? Have you ever looked at his career numbers? I know, I know, no weapinzzzzzzzzzzz, but, he had the opportunity to play the weakest schedule in the league with damn good weapnzzzzzz, and he flushed it down the toilet for $600.

6 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

Joe, you are one of my favorite posters on this site, your Jets passion is unrelenting. But two things:

1) Ryan Fitzpatrick sh*tting the bed does not mean Geno Smith is good. There is literally zero correlation, if anything, it hurts Genos case even more, because those who watched them both closer than anyone, daily, chose Fitzpatrick. So if Fitzpatrick sucks, and he sure does, what does that tell you bout one GenoSmith?

2) You normally have such high standards for your QB's, what is it about Geno that drops your standards so low? Have you ever looked at his career numbers? I know, I know, no weapinzzzzzzzzzzz, but, he had the opportunity to play the weakest schedule in the league with damn good weapnzzzzzz, and he flushed it down the toilet for $600.

Unfair.  No weaponz.

Fair Chance.  With Weaponz.

21 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

It means the GM and coaching staff are clueless it has nothing to do with Geno Smith its unknown what he could have done last season. 

By all means my standards for a QB are very high they are also about who deserves to play and who doesn't. 

Im hoping Christian Hackenberg is the next Tom Brady if thats who our organization chooses as the QB. 

3 hours ago, JetFaninMI said:

So is Geno"friggin"Smith pal. With a torn ACL. You know the injury that takes most of a year to heal? In a previous post you admit that Geno"friggin"Smith is not good but you want to sign him. What is the point of giving 5mil of precious cap space to an injured guy who by your own admission is not good? I would rather draft Deshaun Watson and play him than sign Geno"friggin"Smith. As I said before Petty is irrelevant:

Jets QB Bryce Petty will undergo surgery to repair his torn left (non-throwing) labrum next week.
It could be a lengthy recovery, though Petty should be ready for training camp. Petty showed nothing in his six appearances (four starts) this season, posting a 3:7 TD:INT ratio. It ended the fantasy that he could be the Jets' unlikely quarterback of the future. The Jets have invested major draft resources in the quarterback position since 2009 and have zero to show for it. Going on 26, Petty hasn't proven he can be a legitimate No. 2. Thu, Dec 29, 2016 01:28:00 PM

Not cool to piece meal your argument. In many other Smith and NYJ QB threads I made that point clear.v Try doing some work and then make those allegations. 

The reason for signing Smith is that even if they do draft Watson, an experienced back up is more than likely necessary. Smith being a second round draft pick is better thanPetty and Hack right now. That is an upgrade to theQB position. Me, I do not see anything wrong with the NYJ upgrading their roster with better players. 

That has been an issue for decades. They don't generally do that. 

48 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

ACL ACL ACL. Turns out he's clairvoyant. Got any stock tips brother?

That drunk basically blamed a kid who had no right being the starting QB of the Jets or any NFL team for 30 yrs of Jets QB misery . So do most of the posters on these boards who constantly demand change .

Let's have an indepth discussion on the virtues and weaknesses of Mark Sanchez, Geno Smith and Ryan Fitzpatrick. It so interesting to passionately argue which QB is better and than let's insult those with differing opinions as if one these QBs is actually head and shoulders better than the other. 

22 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

Let's have an indepth discussion on the virtues and weaknesses of Mark Sanchez, Geno Smith and Ryan Fitzpatrick. It so interesting to passionately argue which QB is better and than let's insult those with differing opinions as if one these QBs is actually head and shoulders better than the other. 

Mark Sanchez was the best of the 3 you mentioned back to back AFC Championship games............miss those days. 

1 hour ago, August said:

Interesting perspective. But let me ask you this, and for the sake of the argument since you said we gave up on Mark too soon. How much longer were you willing to stick with Mark and how do you explain the fact that Mark hasn't been able to hold a starting job since he left here? If he was as good as you claim, for example Philly never trades for Bradford as they would feel Mark was good enough to be their guy. Why did Denver cut Mark in favor of a 7th round unproven quarterback? Imo you can't be upset at Geno because Mark wasn't good enough to ensure that he holds his starting job. Teams don't give up on 26 year old franchise quarterbacks. And the way Sanchez's career has gone since he left here imo validated our decision to move on from him.

I felt at the time, and still do, that when Mark had weapons (Plax, Braylon, Santonio, Dustin, Ladanian) he showed the makings of a quality NFL quarterback.  4th quarter comebacks, playoff pressure, for a 22 year old kid he showed a hell of a lot.  But going into that ridiculous 2012 campaign with Hill, Schilenz, Cumberland, and Gates you just knew it was going to be a disaster, and it was.  The epitome of no-weapons.  And then Tony Sparano?  And then Tim Tebow's circus?  Killed his psyche too. 

I would have kept Sanchez through two more years under a bonafide offensive coordinator and provided him with more free agent WR's with some skill.  If we gave Mark 2012 what we gave Fitz 2015, I'd have been happy.  Decker, Marshall, Ivory, Powell....let him have that type of support back in '12 and '13, if he didn't show improvement cut him.  Then he got injured, combination of it all was too much for him.

Mark had Geno beat out in 2013, then idiot Rex Ryan gets him killed for the season.  Was one of the low moments in team history.

SAR I

1 hour ago, August said:

What tweets were you talking about? Was there something that he specifically said? Imo he progressed between year 1 and year 2 as a player, he was a disaster for the most part in his rookie year, although he did have his moments (MNF vs The Falcons, 2nd Pats game etc) but he improved he went from 55% completion to 59%, he cut down his interceptions from 21 to 13, his QB rating went up from 66% to 77%, sacks went down from 43 to 28, the problem in year 2 was inconsistency, he would look good for a few drives, move the ball well between the 20's but couldn't put up points, we settled for a lot of field goals or the bad decision making at times. But you can live with it since we as a team had low expectations in terms of team success and we were developing a quarterback. Anyway, who cares about dick pics? Him sending out personal pics to a woman and she leaking it is an indictment on Geno? Why did he stage a media boycott? And which players did he throw under the bus?

In 2015 when he was riding the bench and Fitzpatrick was having a record year, he had plenty of "look at me" moments when no one was paying attention to him.  Media boycotts, nasty comments on social media.  Then this past season, he laid out these passive aggressive tweets seemingly every week after the 1-4 start.  The $600 situation, the dick pics, it's just not how a team leader acts.  He was transparently stupid, obviously not a smart guy, no starting quarterback behaves this way and he knew this.  Geno and Johnny Football threw it all away with their off field actions, the on field stuff took a big back seat. 

No team and no fanbase can get behind a quarterback that clearly isn't a leader and instead is a selfish fool.

SAR I

21 minutes ago, SAR I said:

In 2015 when he was riding the bench and Fitzpatrick was having a record year, he had plenty of "look at me" moments when no one was paying attention to him.  Media boycotts, nasty comments on social media.  Then this past season, he laid out these passive aggressive tweets seemingly every week after the 1-4 start.  The $600 situation, the dick pics, it's just not how a team leader acts.  He was transparently stupid, obviously not a smart guy, no starting quarterback behaves this way and he knew this.  Geno and Johnny Football threw it all away with their off field actions, the on field stuff took a big back seat. 

No team and no fanbase can get behind a quarterback that clearly isn't a leader and instead is a selfish fool.

SAR I

Ryan Fitzpatrick can also be considered a selfish fool as well he held out for money he wasnt worth and played one of the worst years in his crappy NFL career. 

He openly blasted the organization when he was benched for throwing 6 INTs. 

One of these days we will get the QB position right here. cant wait. 

joewilly12 

1 hour ago, August said:

You mention racism so how do you explain the white fans that support Geno? Are they supporting him based on his race based on your logic? Also if there are people backing Geno because of race maybe it's them backing a guy that gets called racist epithets FIRST, so in theory your issue should be with people who are racists against Geno not the ones who defend him against said racism. 

I am not aware of any racist epithets thrown Geno's way on JN.  I'm not aware of any Jets fan hating him because of the color of his skin.  That makes no sense since, what, 75% of the team is black and we have a black head coach.  How could you be a Jets fan, or a fan of any NFL team, and dislike black people?  It's not possible.  At least that's how I look at it.  So white people supporting Geno is just fine, it's no different than me being a big fan of Leonard Williams or buying my kids Pryor, Coples, Revis, Tomlinson, Scott, and Harris jerseys, in fact I don't think I've ever bought a Jets jersey with a white players name on it except for Pennington 17 years ago.

This Geno lovers club sprouted in full force right around the time of the BLM uprising, my opinion it became a metaphor and some JN posters way of taking a knee.  It just wasn't justified as no JN poster knows the color of another JN poster and there isn't any racist undertone in any conversation before or since Geno vs. Fitzpatrick.  I just want it to go away.  But for the future, you should know this-  drawing attention to faux racism towards non-racists actually makes them angry, makes them have racist thoughts.  Sometimes I hate Geno Smith more for the way you protect and defend him rather than who he is as a football player.  If you have an issue with the way black people are treated in this country, that's cool, find those nasty racist people and take it out on them.  Picking fights with non-racist Jets fans who are here to celebrate the green and white and nothing more doesn't help your position, it hurts it.  Geno Smith is allowed to suck and Ryan Fitzpatrick is allowed to be better on the basis of their performance not their ethnicity.

SAR I

22 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Geno, gets two years and needs to be dumped.

Marky Mark, doesn't develop after 6 seasons and in the years beyond and it was too quick to pull the plug.

Logical 

Geno needs to be dumped because he is not a team leader, he is selfish, he doesn't know how to behave, he cannot be trusted to be the one player that all others rally around to lead an epic comeback or win 6 games in a row to turn a losing season into a playoff season.  Period.  Nothing to do with ability. 

Mark showed many positive leadership qualities and played like money trailing in the fourth quarter and in the playoffs.  He deserved more time because he had no character red flags and flashed in big time NFL situations.  Bad head coaching, bad offensive coordination, and a terrible receiving corps were valid reasons, not excuses, for his falloff in play.

I'm fairly certain that Johnny Manziel has equivalent football ability as Mike Glennon or Jimmy Garoppolo, but Manziel is out of football and Glennon and Garoppolo are coveted.  Ability is only 50% of the NFL game.  Character, leadership, poise, that's the other 50%.  Geno doesn't have it, so Geno has no future.

SAR I

Just now, SAR I said:

Geno needs to be dumped because he is not a team leader, he is selfish, he doesn't know how to behave, he cannot be trusted to be the one player that all others rally around to lead an epic comeback or win 6 games in a row to turn a losing season into a playoff season.  Period.  Nothing to do with ability. 

Mark showed many positive leadership qualities and played like money trailing in the fourth quarter and in the playoffs.  He deserved more time because he had no character red flags and flashed in big time NFL situations.

I'm fairly certain that Johnny Manziel has equivalent football ability as Mike Glennon or Jimmy Garoppolo, but Manziel is out of football and Glennon and Garoppolo are coveted.  Ability is only 50% of the NFL game.  Character, leadership, poise, that's the other 50%.  Geno doesn't have it, so Geno has no future.

SAR I

Ryan Fitzpatrick wasnt a team leader either he was a selfish self centered egotistical fool who thought he was all that and more. 

Certain players 2 who are no longer with the team openly supported him and split the locker room. 

Ryan Fitzpatrick isn't the player you thought he was 31 other NFL teams just said no and the Jets made the mistake of signing him twice. 

Can we all move on from sh*tty QB's. 

42 minutes ago, SAR I said:

I felt at the time, and still do, that when Mark had weapons (Plax, Braylon, Santonio, Dustin, Ladanian) he showed the makings of a quality NFL quarterback.  4th quarter comebacks, playoff pressure, for a 22 year old kid he showed a hell of a lot.  But going into that ridiculous 2012 campaign with Hill, Schilenz, Cumberland, and Gates you just knew it was going to be a disaster, and it was.  The epitome of no-weapons.  And then Tony Sparano?  And then Tim Tebow's circus?  Killed his psyche too. 

I would have kept Sanchez through two more years under a bonafide offensive coordinator and provided him with more free agent WR's with some skill.  If we gave Mark 2012 what we gave Fitz 2015, I'd have been happy.  Decker, Marshall, Ivory, Powell....let him have that type of support back in '12 and '13, if he didn't show improvement cut him.  Then he got injured, combination of it all was too much for him.

Mark had Geno beat out in 2013, then idiot Rex Ryan gets him killed for the season.  Was one of the low moments in team history.

SAR I

Mark did seem to progress at first between year 1 to year 2 and then year 3 (albeit he was inconsistent). The problem was that after a decent start in '11, he began to regress and it started with the Ravens game on Sunday Night Football and he never recovered. Even with weapons he was pretty average at most, but he did step up in those close games back in 2010. However that is not a sustainable formula. 

I do find it a tad hypocritical to bash Geno who struggled with a lack of weapons only to use that to justify why Sanchez struggled (it did play a part). It has to go both ways. And as far as the QB competition from 2013, it was pretty close if Sanchez had him beat as you say then Sanchez would've been the starter during the 3rd preseason game and not Geno. You don't start the loser of a quarterback competition in the important 3rd preseason. Sanchez only played in that game because Rex wanted to give Mark some reps, the injury was poor luck but things like that happen. Had Mark not got hurt he probably would've been the opening day starter, due to a combination of Geno recovering from an injury and Mark remaining steady ( albeit inconsistent) while Geno started off hot but tailed off and struggling and playing terribly in that Giants game. 

39 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Mark showed many positive leadership qualities and played like money trailing in the fourth quarter and in the playoffs.  He deserved more time because he had no character red flags and flashed in big time NFL situations.  Bad head coaching, bad offensive coordination, and a terrible receiving corps were valid reasons, not excuses, for his falloff in play.

SAR I

And what leadership skills did Mark bring to the table and how did it translate into wins?  

Sanchez got far too much credit for this imaginary "it" factor he had in spades.  

This is all pure unquantifiable bs used to pump up one mediocre player when compared to another. Just like bringing up Manziel and Garoppolo 

56 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

The media boycott from what I can remember was because of the constant badgering from the likes of Mehta and others. It's understandable but being in his position sometimes you just have to suck it up. What nasty comments you speak of? And what passive aggressive tweets do you speak of? Dick pics=not a franchise then Brett Favre says hello (in before but but but are you comparing Favre to Geno). I spoke on the 600 dollar situation in the previous post. Geno is still  getting looks from teams while Manziel is getting no looks. And as for your final point, being a leader doesn't mean sh*t if you're not winning (I hardly heard Fitzpatrick get mentioned as a leader as the 2016 season unfolded, not a coincidence) teammates will rally around anyone regardless of their leadership skills if that player is helping the team win games. And unless I missed something what has he done for you to say that he's selfish? That sounds like you're projecting to me. 

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

And what leadership skills did Mark bring to the table and how did it translate into wins?  

Sanchez got far too much credit for this imaginary "it" factor he had in spades.  

This is all pure unquantifiable bs used to pump up one mediocre player when compared to another. Just like bringing up Manziel and Garoppolo 

Mark Sanchez was the best QB this organization has had in years he handled the NY media well also. 

He took us to back to back AFC Championship games if not for a baffooon head coach we could have won both.

On 3/11/2017 at 11:25 AM, joewilly12 said:

At this point and time Geno Smith is the best available option you can still draft Watson and have Smith,Watson,Hackenberg and Petty cut or trade 1 after camp or carry 4 QB's again. 

Beautiful. The ensuing Mehta/Costello pasted articles would be so great

56 minutes ago, SAR I said:

I am not aware of any racist epithets thrown Geno's way on JN.  I'm not aware of any Jets fan hating him because of the color of his skin.  That makes no sense since, what, 75% of the team is black and we have a black head coach.  How could you be a Jets fan, or a fan of any NFL team, and dislike black people?  It's not possible.  At least that's how I look at it.  So white people supporting Geno is just fine, it's no different than me being a big fan of Leonard Williams or buying my kids Pryor, Coples, Revis, Tomlinson, Scott, and Harris jerseys, in fact I don't think I've ever bought a Jets jersey with a white players name on it except for Pennington 17 years ago.

This Geno lovers club sprouted in full force right around the time of the BLM uprising, my opinion it became a metaphor and some JN posters way of taking a knee.  It just wasn't justified as no JN poster knows the color of another JN poster and there isn't any racist undertone in any conversation before or since Geno vs. Fitzpatrick.  I just want it to go away.  But for the future, you should know this-  drawing attention to faux racism towards non-racists actually makes them angry, makes them have racist thoughts.  Sometimes I hate Geno Smith more for the way you protect and defend him rather than who he is as a football player.  If you have an issue with the way black people are treated in this country, that's cool, find those nasty racist people and take it out on them.  Picking fights with non-racist Jets fans who are here to celebrate the green and white and nothing more doesn't help your position, it hurts it.  Geno Smith is allowed to suck and Ryan Fitzpatrick is allowed to be better on the basis of their performance not their ethnicity.

SAR I

I've heard fans who attended games say they've heard racist comments thrown his way, before signing up here my primary means of Jets discussion was Twitter and Facebook I'm apart of a group on FB and I've personally seen racist comments calling him stupid/dumb N word, and different variations of monkeys etc, and in general using a tone that comes off like bigotry. I've seen some things on here too but it's more subtle and said in ways that if they were called out they can easily deny. So I usually leave those posts alone. I hate to break this to you, and imo you might already be aware but being black on a football team doesn't mean racists and bigots can't still can't root for a black athlete. 

I'll say this too BLM is used as nothing more than a metaphor for something else. But anyway, calling out racists for being racists shouldn't be an indictment on no one except the racists, and if supporting a player on your favorite team "makes" fans become racists then they were already racists. I don't "protect" Geno at all, he gets a lot of unnecessary hate especially for a guy that never committed any criminal offenses, all of this fervor over a player that "sucks". Then you compare him to Manziel who is a raging alcoholic and woman abuser. You hate Geno because he had dick pics exposed and he got punched in the face? How does that correlate and how does this warrant this much hate? His biggest crime was what? Sucking at football? And then you wonder why people threw Fitzpatrick back in your faces, it's because Fitzpatrick sucked but you made excuses for it, he held out all offseason and in the process divided the locker room, and when he got benched after playing terribly instead of saying I'll try to be better, he comes off as an entitled whiny brat, all while throwing the owner, fo, and coaches under the bus, but you give all of that a pass. 

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

Ryan Fitzpatrick can also be considered a selfish fool as well he held out for money he wasnt worth and played one of the worst years in his crappy NFL career. 

He openly blasted the organization when he was benched for throwing 6 INTs. 

One of these days we will get the QB position right here. cant wait. 

joewilly12 

I criticize no player for offseason behavior relative to contracts.  It's a cutthroat business.

Ryan Fitzpatrick caused no locker room disruption, nor did he hold out.  He was an unrestricted free agent who just had the season of his life and was paid $2.3M for a $17.0M performance in 2015.  He asked for a certain salary and the Jets provided it.  In 2 seasons, he averaged $7.5M a year.  An NFL bargain for a starting quarterback.

Ryan Fitzpatrick did not blast the organization upon being benched.  In fact, he said nothing and was pure class.  Fitzpatrick's comments occurred after a victory over the Baltimore Ravens in which he replaced Geno Smith when he was asked by a reporter how he felt coming back in.  He simply said it's a hard situation to play quarterback when your GM and your owner don't believe in you anymore.  Hardly a revelation, hardly critical.  Just factual.

SAR I

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

I criticize no player for offseason behavior relative to contracts.  It's a cutthroat business.

Ryan Fitzpatrick caused no locker room disruption, nor did he hold out.  He was an unrestricted free agent who just had the season of his life and was paid $2.3M for a $17.0M performance in 2015.  He asked for a certain salary and the Jets provided it.  In 2 seasons, he averaged $7.5M a year.  An NFL bargain for a starting quarterback.

Ryan Fitzpatrick did not blast the organization upon being benched.  In fact, he said nothing and was pure class.  Fitzpatrick's comments occurred after a victory over the Baltimore Ravens in which he replaced Geno Smith when he was asked by a reporter how he felt coming back in.  He simply said it's a hard situation to play quarterback when your GM and your owner don't believe in you anymore.  Hardly a revelation, hardly critical.  Just factual.

SAR I

Ryan Fitzpatrick charged the Jets $3 million per win last season he won 4 games = $12 million. 

Biggest waste of the year and worst starting QB in the NFL. 

joewilly12

Archived