NJ.com top remaining free agents

AFJF

33 minutes ago, KRL said:

I have to say that I'm not impressed with the Texans offense & think that although Hopkins is a very good receiver, they really didn't have any possession type WRs with SIZE. Texans running backs were meh, TE, is meh, Oline is meh. I actually think Osweller would do well with the Jets offensive personel. Especially if we draft OJ Howard with our 1st pick.

Its much easier to hit guys with size than guys with streaky speed. Decker, Enunwa, Howard & the occasional deep ball to Anderson with Forte, Powell, Mixon? (2nd round?), is definitely more balance/ speed & size than what the Texans have on offense. When is the last time the Jets had a QB completing passes over 65%? 

He would be my target for the Jets if he's released. 6'-8", 235, sure he didn't play well vs Pats in Gillette, but how many QBs do? I honestly believe QBs are given up on too early in the NFL now. They learn something every game, they need more time than a year & a half to bank that knowledge and improve from it. 

Ralph Vacchiano, NFL Insider | Facebook | Twitter | Archive

The free-agent market has thinned out a bit, but the Jets still have plenty of holes to fill. Yes, they still need a quarterback. But they have many other needs, too.

The good news is they still have a decent amount of salary-cap space and there is still help available. Here's a look at some of the non-quarterbacks still on the market who could be a fit:

CB Morris Claiborne (Cowboys) - The former sixth-overall pick (2012), he was long considered a bust before he began to finally play up to expectations last season - right up until he injured his groin. He's still only 27 and as the Jets begin a youth movement in the secondary it might be worth giving him a chance to prove his start last season wasn't a fluke. They'd need to move fast, though, since word is he could soon end up with the Ravens.

CB Brandon Carr (Cowboys) - He'll be 31 in May, so this goes against their youth movement, but he'd be a good short-term starter and could help the development of the younger players. He's not the player he once was, but he was good last season and he's played (and started) every game of his nine-year NFL career. The Jets have reportedly already expressed an interest in him. He'd be an upgrade over Darrelle Revis and a perfect bridge to the future starter.

LB Dont'a Hightower (Patriots) - As you surely know, he visited the Jets, he's visiting the Steelers, and the whole world thinks he's headed back to the Patriots. But it's worth it for the Jets to try to sign him. Yes, he'd make David Harris expendable, but he and Darron Lee would lock down the inside linebacker spot for several years. He's a strong leader and would be a terrific inside pass rusher - and the Jets have lacked a pass rush from the linebacking corps.

LB Connor Barwin (Eagles) - He can be a defensive end too, but the Jets don't need him for that. What they need is a pass rusher from the outside, and the 6-4, 264-pounder could be a fit in their 3-4 defense as an outside linebacker. His numbers have declined in recent years, but he's only 30. If the Jets deal Sheldon Richardson, as expected, he could slide into his flex spot. Of course, that's if Barwin wants to endure rebuilding. He's already on the radar of the Cincinnati Bengals, who are much closer to contending.

TE Jared Cook (Packers) - Jets GM Mike Maccagnan made it really clear that the Jets will use the tight end more next season and he's on the lookout for one this offseason. Of course, now there aren't many left with any real receiving credentials at all. Cook is a good one who was a valuable asset for the Packers last season, catching 30 passes for 377 yards in 10 games and drawing a lot of defensive attention away from the Green Bay receivers. He's going to be 30, though, and apparently wants to get paid. Also, he's reportedly enroute to Seattle for a visit so he could be signed soon.

Tags: Darrelle Revis, Darron Lee, David Harris, Sheldon Richardson, Ralph Vacchiano

On ‎3‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 8:55 AM, BCJet said:

Zach Brown would be an excellent signing if we moved on from Harris.  Hes younger, faster and better in coverage.  He also was miscast in Tennessee as a 4-3 MLB and played much better as an ILB in Buffalo's 3-4 last year.

I also wouldnt mind taking a shot on morris clairborne

Surprise Harris is still a Jet. Maybe they are negotiating a more cap friendly contract.

Future Ring of Honor Jet

Suck for SAM in 2017

Archived