QB Colin Kaepernick

Rey

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, mtwarlock31 said:

Can you please provide evidence of this 2% and 70million? I have yet to meet someone who stopped watching because of the protests. I'd prefer you can support this without your made up %s that you keep throwing around.

I no doubt agree that he caused a small drop of viewership, but to say it affected the whole league for an entire season is ludicrous. I also agree that no owner should give him a job, I certainly wouldn't. Who needs the headache with similar bums of his talent level currently on the market.

Hey Mr. Warlock, nice to meet you.

I'd ask that your son please use Google, that's what I do.  You'll find an article describing how the NFL generated $3.5B in ad revenue last year.  As for the $70M, well, that's just multiplication, I'm sure you can explain that to him.

I have given several examples to your son in an attempt to illustrate the fact that the casual fan (ie Jets fan but not a Jets game) watches more football each week than the diehard fan, that the casual fan only watches for entertainment, and if only a small percentage of those casual fans stop watching because BLM makes them physically ill that translates to millions of lost viewers and millions of lost revenue.

Please confirm your son's bedtime is 9:00.  We'd like to continue the conversation at a time that won't agitate the lil' fella.

SAR I

4 minutes ago, mtwarlock31 said:

I never said it wasn't down.

I have listed plenty of other reasons why viewership wasn't down, not related to protests and presidential elections. Feel free to take a look at my various posts and/or take a read through the credible sources I provided, unlike other people throwing out %s and #s for the sake of it.

Yes, Colin Kaepernick is hurting NFL ratings

Daniel Roberts

'The steady decline in NFL television ratings has been the biggest story of the football season, and arguably the biggest sports-business story of 2016. It’s clear that interest in watching primetime NFL games has waned, but what remains unclear are the exact causes, and which causes have had the largest impact.

New reports suggest that one factor dismissed by many has in fact had a definite impact: player protests during the national anthem, led by San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick."

"Every time Yahoo Finance has written about the NFL ratings decline, Yahoo readers have shouted in our comments and on Twitter that the biggest reason for the decline is Kaepernick’s anthem protests. “I can tell you why, it is because diehard fans like me have been insulted by the owners and the NFL allowing these players to kneel or sit during the national anthem,” one reader wrote. “TOTAL DISRESPECT to America. WE are protesting. I have not watched a game this year yet.” Another reader wrote, “When the players stop disrespecting this nation and our Flag then I might start watching games again.”

"Many readers flooded me personally on Twitter with direct messages to hammer home the point. “You can try and hide what happened,” said one. “We have reduced watching the NFL as long as they support the disrespect to our flag. Just tell NFL America is taking a knee.” Another wrote “There’s only one reason the ratings are in the trash. Colin Kaepernick 7.”

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/yes-colin-kaepernick-is-hurting-nfl-ratings-184531361.html?soc_src=social-sh&soc_trk=tw

3 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Hey Mr. Warlock, nice to meet you.

I'd ask that your son please use Google, that's what I do.  You'll find an article describing how the NFL generated $3.5B in ad revenue last year.  As for the $70M, well, that's just multiplication, I'm sure you can explain that to him.

I have given several examples to your son in an attempt to illustrate the fact that the casual fan (ie Jets fan but not a Jets game) watches more football each week than the diehard fan, that the casual fan only watches for entertainment, and if only a small percentage of those casual fans stop watching because BLM makes them physically ill that translates to millions of lost viewers and millions of lost revenue.

Please confirm your son's bedtime is 9:00.  We'd like to continue the conversation at a time that won't agitate the lil' fella.

SAR I

Where is your 2%. I want answers.

3 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Yes, Colin Kaepernick is hurting NFL ratings

Daniel Roberts

'The steady decline in NFL television ratings has been the biggest story of the football season, and arguably the biggest sports-business story of 2016. It’s clear that interest in watching primetime NFL games has waned, but what remains unclear are the exact causes, and which causes have had the largest impact.

New reports suggest that one factor dismissed by many has in fact had a definite impact: player protests during the national anthem, led by San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick."

"Every time Yahoo Finance has written about the NFL ratings decline, Yahoo readers have shouted in our comments and on Twitter that the biggest reason for the decline is Kaepernick’s anthem protests. “I can tell you why, it is because diehard fans like me have been insulted by the owners and the NFL allowing these players to kneel or sit during the national anthem,” one reader wrote. “TOTAL DISRESPECT to America. WE are protesting. I have not watched a game this year yet.” Another reader wrote, “When the players stop disrespecting this nation and our Flag then I might start watching games again.”

"Many readers flooded me personally on Twitter with direct messages to hammer home the point. “You can try and hide what happened,” said one. “We have reduced watching the NFL as long as they support the disrespect to our flag. Just tell NFL America is taking a knee.” Another wrote “There’s only one reason the ratings are in the trash. Colin Kaepernick 7.”

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/yes-colin-kaepernick-is-hurting-nfl-ratings-184531361.html?soc_src=social-sh&soc_trk=tw

http://www.espn.co.uk/nfl/story/_/id/18412873/nfl-tv-viewership-drops-average-8-percent-season

"Prior to the Nov. 8 election, NFL games -- through the first nine weeks -- were down 14 percent compared to 2015. But the next eight weeks saw a recovery, as Weeks 10-17 were down only 1 percent in viewers compared to last season."

Just now, mtwarlock31 said:

http://www.espn.co.uk/nfl/story/_/id/18412873/nfl-tv-viewership-drops-average-8-percent-season

"Prior to the Nov. 8 election, NFL games -- through the first nine weeks -- were down 14 percent compared to 2015. But the next eight weeks saw a recovery, as Weeks 10-17 were down only 1 percent in viewers compared to last season."

It's not just one reason, there are plenty of them.  I've grown sick of the NFL game primarily due to it's lack of honesty in refereeing. The games are massaged along to help ratings and ensure teams that are down are provided with a way to make a glorious comeback. Then once the field gets leveled, they return to calling it more honestly.  The players using their platform to deliver their personal issues is just another reason people are getting fed up with it, (no surprise there...they are millenials after all.) but that's not a primary motivator for me. Commercials, overreliance on one position, horrible tackling/fundamentals....it's all cumulative. The bottom line is that while it's still an amazingly successful league, the product is in a slow decline because they sold out the integrity of the game and made it more of an entertainment entity than a pure competition based sporting event.  "Sport" gave way to entertainment and they feed that monster with all the TMZ and E!spn style of coverage that they mandate players and coaches make themselves available for.  NFL rode the selling out of the game it all the way to the top and now they have nowhere else to go, because when every game is filled to the brim with excitement and everything comes down to the last possession....then it's no longer spectacular. It's just more manufactured drama.

20 minutes ago, mtwarlock31 said:

Prior to the election, the average number of games watched was down 9.6% compared to 2015, as Fox Sports programming SVP Michael Mulvihill points out. Since the election, that drop is smaller, but still significant, at 4.9%. In addition to watching fewer games, people are tuning out earlier from the games they do watch. Average minutes watched per game was down 4.5% before the election, and still down 3.1% since. (These numbers apply through Week 12.)

In other words, it wasn’t just the election.

According to a Yahoo/YouGov poll, 29 percent of NFL fans are watching less football than in years past. Of that group, 40 percent blame the national anthem protests started in the preseason by Colin Kaepernick. That was an especially popular reason for those 55 and over. Fifty-three percent of that group cited protests as their main reason for avoiding the NFL.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2016/10/poll-anger-at-colin-kaepernick-is-driving-down-nfl-ratings.html

24 minutes ago, flgreen said:

According to a Yahoo/YouGov poll, 29 percent of NFL fans are watching less football than in years past. Of that group, 40 percent blame the national anthem protests started in the preseason by Colin Kaepernick. That was an especially popular reason for those 55 and over. Fifty-three percent of that group cited protests as their main reason for avoiding the NFL.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2016/10/poll-anger-at-colin-kaepernick-is-driving-down-nfl-ratings.html

And boom goes the dynamite.

SAR I

11 hours ago, SAR I said:

Wife beatings, assault, DWI's, these are all individual offenses, it talks to a single player's mistake, it does not impact an entire league.

Colin Kaepernick attempted to bring the racist BLM movement into the NFL, attempted to poison the well of an entire sport.  Yeah, the bottom line here is "money", and the few fans that were offended by dog fighting couldn't bring down the foundation of the sport.  One racist with a public agenda could.

If you can't see the difference, keep laughing, just shows your ignorance.

SAR I

Actually your post shows just how ignorant you really are. My post pointed out that the NFL OWNERS are only interested in profit at any expense. It also pointed out how stupid your post was when you said the Owners cared about role models and had some kind of moral standard when it came to players. If you think "the well of this sport" isn't already poisoned then you are so deluded and ignorant it cannot be measured by any means known to man. Get your head out of your arse for a change and smell the cesspool this League has become. Declining ratings, empty stadiums, and players running amok is what has the Owners scared. You insufferable prick.

2 hours ago, JetFaninMI said:

Actually your post shows just how ignorant you really are. My post pointed out that the NFL OWNERS are only interested in profit at any expense. It also pointed out how stupid your post was when you said the Owners cared about role models and had some kind of moral standard when it came to players. If you think "the well of this sport" isn't already poisoned then you are so deluded and ignorant it cannot be measured by any means known to man. Get your head out of your arse for a change and smell the cesspool this League has become. Declining ratings, empty stadiums, and players running amok is what has the Owners scared. You insufferable prick.

First off, **** you.

I never made the case that owners care about role models.  I said that if one player can create an uprising that can anger a fanbase to the point where it significantly hurts the NFL financially, that players is going to be excommunicated and blacklisted from the league to send a message to the other players.  That's what's going on with Colin Kaepernick.

Stadiums are not empty.  The big problem this league has right now is lack of competition.  All but 8 teams have fans who know they have no shot at winning because they don't have a franchise quarterback.  TV ratings are hurting because players are spoiled rotten, fans can't relate to them, and Colin Kaepernick made it political, so unless our favorite team is playing, we're not interested in watching a Sunday night or Thursday night game.

SAR I

Never met anyone in my life that didn't watch a sport because of the national anthem or a protest. Most people who don't go to games , wouldn't know there is a national anthem. I am thrilled Kap is not employed at this moment, but that poll is ridiculous. Probably the same poll organization that showed Trump being trounced in the election

Sent from my iPad using JetNation.com mobile app

18 minutes ago, DetroitRed said:

Never met anyone in my life that didn't watch a sport because of the national anthem or a protest. Most people who don't go to games , wouldn't know there is a national anthem. I am thrilled Kap is not employed at this moment, but that poll is ridiculous. Probably the same poll organization that showed Trump being trounced in the election

I intentionally stopped watching any non Jets games while the kneeling was going on. I know others who did too. And if any Jets player kneeled I would have not watched them too. 

12 hours ago, JetFaninMI said:

I think you can make this point without the name calling. Thanks. 

43 minutes ago, DetroitRed said:

I think demographics play a big role. I live and work 15 minutes out of D.C. Loaded with retired and close to retired government and military. Without exaggerating I heard it numerous times a week. I could literally recall the conversations due to the level of insult and anger  brought to the conversation. As stated it was casual fans that probably chose between the game and Antique roadshow but none the less it cost viewership. Big difference with this issue is people got just as insulted by the NFL for letting it happen as they were for those that participated. Different from the Vick and Ray Rice thing because that was mostly anger at the player/person as opposed to the game itself. 

32 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

I intentionally stopped watching any non Jets games while the kneeling was going on. I know others who did too. And if any Jets player kneeled I would have not watched them too. 

Pretty sure kneeling cost Cromartie his job. If you no longer have or never had star power to me it look like they made an example of you. I honestly don't see Kap ever returning to the NFL

15 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Pretty sure kneeling cost Cromartie his job. If you no longer have or never had star power to me it look like they made an example of you. I honestly don't see Kap ever returning to the NFL

Totally agree on Cro

3 hours ago, DetroitRed said:

As others have pointed out, the players themselves are the biggest problem the NFL has right now, so few of them are likeable.  They're arrogant, aloof, nasty to the media, rude on social media, overpaid, lazy, disrespectful.  As a group, they are not people the average fan can relate to anymore, they've allowed the basketball culture to invade the sport as opposed to baseball (players are more accessible, less intense) and hockey (players work very hard, blue collar work ethic personified).

In that context, the context of a Jets fan having to put up with the likes of Geno Smith, Darrelle Revis, Mo Wilkerson, Sheldon Richardson, et al it doesn't take many more straws to break the camel's back and make us pull away from the team entirely.  That's what happened on a league-wide scale with Coin Kaepernick's protest.  For many fans it was what tipped the scales and got them to tune out.  Bad enough players are overpaid, ungrateful, arrogant, selfish, rude, and aloof.  But shove your morality down our throats on our Sunday off?  Bye-bye.

SAR I

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

As others have pointed out, the players themselves are the biggest problem the NFL has right now, so few of them are likeable.  They're arrogant, aloof, nasty to the media, rude on social media, overpaid, lazy, disrespectful.  As a group, they are not people the average fan can relate to anymore, they've allowed the basketball culture to invade the sport as opposed to baseball (players are more accessible, less intense) and hockey (players work very hard, blue collar work ethic personified).

In that context, the context of a Jets fan having to put up with the likes of Geno Smith, Darrelle Revis, Mo Wilkerson, Sheldon Richardson, et al it doesn't take many more straws to break the camel's back and make us pull away from the team entirely.  That's what happened on a league-wide scale with Coin Kaepernick's protest.  For many fans it was what tipped the scales and got them to tune out.  Bad enough players are overpaid, ungrateful, arrogant, selfish, rude, and aloof.  But shove your morality down our throats on our Sunday off?  Bye-bye.

SAR I

I also heard that Kap is friends with Shaun King from the Daily News, a guy that is notorious for calling everyone a racist. So now any white Head Coach thinking about signing Kap as a backup has to worry about being labeled a racist if they don't give Kap the starting job. 

Kap is decent enough to make an NFL team, but his off the field baggage is rightfully scaring away all prospective suitors. 

King is dude on the left...

article-kaepernick-1029.jpg

I don't know anybody that's stopped watching football because of the Kaepernick stuff, but I know people who aren't watching as much because of the quality of the game and how watered down it is.

It's funny how people talk about the characters in football, because I find that's what's missing. There's a reason why people are calling it the No Fun League. Now you can barely do an end zone celebration without it being a problem.

At the end of the day, sports is about entertainment. And football is lacking the entertainment that it used to have. It's becoming like baseball, where you're told to "play the game the right way". And that horse crap is boring. There's a reason why baseball's highest group of viewers are the ones who could be spokesmen for viagara.

13 minutes ago, King P said:

I don't know anybody that's stopped watching football because of the Kaepernick stuff, but I know people who aren't watching as much because of the quality of the game and how watered down it is.

It's funny how people talk about the characters in football, because I find that's what's missing. There's a reason why people are calling it the No Fun League. Now you can barely do an end zone celebration without it being a problem.

At the end of the day, sports is about entertainment. And football is lacking the entertainment that it used to have. It's becoming like baseball, where you're told to "play the game the right way". And that horse crap is boring. There's a reason why baseball's highest group of viewers are the ones who could be spokesmen for viagara.

IF sports is about entertainment, why do we need his bs politics as a part of it? I don't find that entertaining in the least

3 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I also heard that Kap is friends with Shaun King from the Daily News, a guy that is notorious for calling everyone a racist. So now any white Head Coach thinking about signing Kap as a backup has to worry about being labeled a racist if they don't give Kap the starting job. 

Kap is decent enough to make an NFL team, but his off the field baggage is rightfully scaring away all prospective suitors. 

King is dude on the left...

article-kaepernick-1029.jpg

Shaun King is unreadable, yes, another brick in the wall against Kaepernick, the worst football brand manager on Earth.

SAR I

Archived