SNY story on Jets

faba

Ralph Vacchiano | Facebook | Twitter | Archive

The Jets sat on the sidelines during the first few days of the NFL's free-agent frenzy, choosing to avoid some of the crazy contracts being thrown around. But they have done some spending, re-signing a few of their own players and bringing in a new left tackle and a new kicker.

So what's next? Well, the biggest question of all still hangs over the Jets since they don't yet know who their starting quarterback will be in 2017. Pretty much every other question pales in comparison to that one, and they don't appear much closer to answering it right now.

They have more than a few other needs too, though. So with that in mind, here's another look at some of the biggest questions facing the Jets as they move into free agency's second wave. Some of them have been hovering over the team all offseason. Some of them are new.

But all of them will have to be answered before the 2017 season starts:

1. Who is their quarterback?

It might be easier to answer it this way: Who isn't their quarterback? It's not going to be Mike Glennon, Tyrod Taylor or Brian Hoyer, three players the Jets had their eyes on to varying degrees. It's not going to be Tony Romo because he's likely headed to Houston or Denver (and neither the Jets nor Romo are crazy enough to make this happen anyway).

So what's left? Jay Cutler is a possibility and the Jets have expressed some interest, but only at the right price. Brock Osweiler is available and about to be cut loose by Cleveland, and he could end up as an option for the Jets. A return of Geno Smith hasn't been ruled out. Robert Griffin III is available, and the Jets had interest in him last offseason. The Broncos might trade Trevor Siemian if they land Romo and the Jets could have some interest there. The Bengals might be willing to trade A.J. McCarron (see below) so he could be gettable.

Basically, the answer is a blank slate at the moment. The Jets appear willing to let the market settle a little bit and see if guys like Osweiler and Siemian really do become available (and affordable). So for now, the answer to this question is the same as it's been for months:

We'll see.

2. Is Sheldon Richardson part of the future, and if not who replaces him?

The Jets braintrust has been incredibly noncommittal about Richardson's future with the team, which is probably not a good sign for his future with the team. Almost everyone around the NFL thinks the Jets will trade him, probably closer to the draft, and the Dallas Cowboys - who had interest in the fall - seem to be everyone's favorite landing spot.

But what about Cincinnati in a deal for McCarron? At the moment, it's a hot internet rumor - which isn't to say it's not true, but so far I've heard far more speculation about it than actual fact. The Bengals made it clear at the combine that they don't want to deal McCarron, but would listen to offers.

Would the Jets really be interested in McCarron, who gained a lot of supporters with a very good, three-start cameo in 2015? At the moment he's better than a lot of available options. He's also only 26. And since he thrived as the quarterback at Alabama - the biggest stage in college football - presumably he could handle New York.

3. Now that Darrelle Revis is gone, who is replacing him?

The Jets were obviously not players in the high-end cornerback market. They could dip into the second wave of the pool for Morris Claiborne or Brandon Carr. If the price is right, they'd be some good veteran help, not necessarily the heir to Revis.

For better or worse, Jets GM Mike Maccagnan seems very committed to his young cornerbacks. He just spent $2.7 million to keep Marcus Williams and he's high on Juston Burris. They also still have Buster Skrine. And there are also a couple of cornerbacks worth keeping an eye on near the top of the NFL draft.

4. Who are their starting receivers?

It's not Brandon Marshall, now that he's with the Giants, and Eric Decker's future with the Jets depends on his health and recovery from shoulder and hip surgeries - something even the Jets might not be sure about until the spring.

Quincy Enunwa will obviously be one of the starters. The Jets love the promise of Robby Anderson and Charone Peake, but if Decker isn't ready to go - or can't be his old self - would the Jets commit to those two as their Nos. 2 and 3 receiver? That's hard to imagine.

However, the market has totally thinned out. Other than Cordarrelle Patterson, there aren't even many good No. 2 options out there unless the Jets want to bank on the promise of a Kamar Aiken or see if Michael Floyd can resurrect his career after his jail time for his "extreme DUI" is up. If not, don't be surprised if the Jets use a second-day pick on a receiver in the NFL draft.

5.Will the Jets bring in help at safety?

I thought they'd prioritize this over cornerback because they seem much thinner at this spot, especially with Calvin Pryor heading into the last year of his contract. They were interested in Tony Jefferson before he signed with the Ravens, but weren't going to get near his four-year, $36 million price, according to a source.

They would still like to add a safety, but as with a lot of positions the market has drastically thinned. Bradley McDougald (Bucs) and T.J. McDonald (Rams) are OK options who are still available at the right price. But the Jets may have more luck in the draft where LSU's Jamal Adams and Ohio State's Malik Hooker could both be waiting for them at 6. Or they could trade down - which Maccagnan desperately wants to do - and get Jabrill Peppers.

Right now, Pryor and Marcus Gilchrist are the starters. Both of them could be gone after this season. So it's a good bet they'll bring in help from somewhere before the spring is over.

1 hour ago, faba said:

Until that QB hole is solved nothing ,matters really

Completely disagree. Who cares at the moment who are QB is... The Jets are not going anywhere this year. Stock up on young talent everywhere you can. Solve the QB situation as it unfolds. By the way things are going it does look like the Jets are waiting for Brock to be released to make him a very low ball offer.

Well this draft is deep at the CB position. They could easily find a starter in the later rounds(3rd round especially). I have made no secret that I favor OFFENSE in the 1st two rounds. I don't think they will go that route but with the amount of holes that need filling I could see them drafting at the deep positions early AND late. It looks like they are holding their card's close to the vest and its a smart play. I would love to see Watson in the 1st and Mixon in the second but I won't hold my breath.

Skeptable has a good point. Dallas did exactly that. They build the whole team and then just added in 1 draft the fortune of a top ranked RB and a log shot QB in the 4th round that can run the team in Dak, Without building the whole team first Elliot and Dak ould have been nowhere near as successful. And I agree also with the first 2 rounds being O players if they are worth it at that position or somewhat close. In the 1st if most of the QBs fall to us I would take Watson or Trubinsky just because we need to take the risk and cannot bank on having a chance at the top QBs in 2018.

Archived