QB Daniels was released and is now available

UnknownJetFan

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, thadude said:

If Daniels was even half-way not crap he'd still be an Eagle

Foles is a JAG

Whether Foles is a JAG or not, your main point is significant.  I thought the Jets might consider Foles as having some upside, right age, probably be inexpensive, could be a hold the fort guy.  And some here said that Foles was a terrible idea.

So it turns out that the Eagles think Foles is better than Daniels, and how can we say they are wrong?

I don't see how that makes Daniels a better choice than Foles or otherwise a good one.

I don't think it has anything to do with ability.  Daniels was signed when Bradford was the starter.  Everyone knows his injury  history.  

Wentz is unquestionably the starter so they figured a backup who won't play and makes minimum is better than a backup who won't play and makes $7M.

5 hours ago, thadude said:

If Daniels was even half-way not crap he'd still be an Eagle

Foles is a JAG

Everybody is ripping on NE's article, but it says right there: 

Wanting a chance to compete for a starting job, Daniel recently requested and was granted his release following an unsuccessful attempt by the Eagles to trade him.

The Eagles can save money on their backup and Daniel gets what he wants. FWIW, I don't want the guy, but if he helped implement Pederson's offense, that might be the reason Morton is looking at him.  They were in NO together for a year.

Also, 57 mph.  Great success!

17 hours ago, Big Blocker said:

Whether Foles is a JAG or not, your main point is significant.  I thought the Jets might consider Foles as having some upside, right age, probably be inexpensive, could be a hold the fort guy.  And some here said that Foles was a terrible idea.

So it turns out that the Eagles think Foles is better than Daniels, and how can we say they are wrong?

I don't see how that makes Daniels a better choice than Foles or otherwise a good one.

Daniel signed w/Philly following his ex-OC while hoping to compete for the starting QB position. Philly then saw an opportunity to go get the #2 pick to draft a franchise QB..Going into '17 Daniel wanted the opportunity to compete for a starting job and asked out of Philly..Philly tried to trade him but to no avail. So Philly turns to Foles and signs him as the b/u. Philly then dumps Daniel.

On 3/14/2017 at 1:22 PM, thadude said:

People knocked Glennon for the Bucs drafting Jameis Winston the best QB to come out of college since Luck

This clown Daniels got cut in favor of a total scrub Nick Foles

He probably got cut due to that ridiculous contract he got to come to PHI from KC 3 yrs/21 mill and didn't play a down. If he refused a pay cut he just got cut...

On 3/16/2017 at 9:30 AM, C Mart said:

Daniel signed w/Philly following his ex-OC while hoping to compete for the starting QB position. Philly then saw an opportunity to go get the #2 pick to draft a franchise QB..Going into '17 Daniel wanted the opportunity to compete for a starting job and asked out of Philly..Philly tried to trade him but to no avail. So Philly turns to Foles and signs him as the b/u. Philly then dumps Daniel.

Decision was 100% about unloading contract.

The only two QB's I'd be semi satisfied with is Kaep or Foles at this point. 

That only leaves Foles because I doubt Kaep would be a consideration with with Woody being ambassador as well as being in this market with his protest last year. 

Thats leaves Nick Foles. 

I'd support that. However, if the Jets feel this strongly about needing a vet to start then Petty needs to be cut so we can draft another QB. At the end of the day the Jets need to be drafting a QB every year until we hit, but holding 4 on the roster is simply a no-go. 

5 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

The only two QB's I'd be semi satisfied with is Kaep or Foles at this point. 

That only leaves Foles because I doubt Kaep would be a consideration with with Woody being ambassador as well as being in this market with his protest last year. 

Thats leaves Nick Foles. 

I'd support that. However, if the Jets feel this strongly about needing a vet to start then Petty needs to be cut so we can draft another QB. At the end of the day the Jets need to be drafting a QB every year until we hit, but holding 4 on the roster is simply a no-go. 

Foles signed with the Eagles which created the release of Chase Daniel.

Free agent QB Chase Daniel is visiting the Jets on Monday.

Daniel visited the Saints on Sunday, but the Jets would figure to offer him a chance to compete for the starting job this year. That likely appeals to Daniel. The Jets don't seem to have much of a plan at quarterback. They've been connected to Jay Cutler, Josh McCown, and now Daniel the past two weeks.
Related: Jets

Mar 20 - 9:25 AM

Source: Career backup QB Chase Daniel will visit Jets

9:25 AM ET

Continuing their meandering quarterback search, the New York Jets have shifted their attention to a player who has attempted only three passes over the past two seasons -- Chase Daniel.

The career backup, released recently by the Philadelphia Eagles, is scheduled to visit the Jets on Monday, ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter reported.

The Jets hosted free agent Josh McCown over the weekend -- they dined Saturday night at a popular New York steakhouse -- but he left Sunday without a contract. They also remain interested in Jay Cutler ... and pretty much every quarterback in the country not named Colin Kaepernick.

Daniel, 30, signed a three-year, $21 million contract last season with the Eagles, but he became expendable when they signed Nick Foles. Daniel visited the New Orleans Saints over the weekend.

He played with the Saints from 2010 to 2012, followed by three seasons with the Kansas City Chiefs and one with the Eagles. He hasn't played much at all -- only two career starts, 51-for-78, 480 yards, one touchdown and one interception. That's an 81.1 passer rating.

The upside is that he has a background in the West Coast offense, which the Jets likely will run under new coordinator John Morton. He and Morton have a link; they both worked under Sean Payton with the Saints, though not at the same time.

If Morton integrates some elements of Payton's offense into his own, it would help having Daniel's knowledge. But they're stretching it if they're counting on that as the primary reason to sign him.

The best you could hope for with this guy is that he ends up being another Trent Green. Green was a backup in the league for a long time until an injury to the starter gave him his chance.

Wishful thinking, I know.  I'd rather just go with our young QBs at this point.  But if they're going to bring in a veteran to start, I'd rather it be a guy with some potential like this over retreads like Josh McCown or Cutler. 

3 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

The best you could hope for with this guy is that he ends up being another Trent Green. Green was a backup in the league for a long time until an injury to the starter gave him his chance.

Wishful thinking, I know.  I'd rather just go with our young QBs at this point.  But if they're going to bring in a veteran to start, I'd rather it be a guy with some potential like this over retreads like Josh McCown or Cutler. 

Kevin Kolb 2.0

12 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

Good comparison.   Although Green would have been the QB of the Rams except for a cheap shot by Rodney Harrison in a pre season game that gave Kurt Warner his chance.

4 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

I cant believe that Macc is wasting his time with a career backup when we have the need for a decent starting QB and many other glaring needs. 

Ive said it a  million times Macc isn't the answer here and neither is Bowles. 

Still can't believe that you don't see it. We need a career backup so that Petty and/or Hackenberg can get the starting job.

How are people not seeing this?

13 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

Why do people think this is the case?

1 minute ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Why do people think this is the case?

Because Petty sucks and will be cut and they're not putting all their eggs in the Hackenburg basket.

How does anyone not see this?

20 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

I cant believe that Macc is wasting his time with a career backup when we have the need for a decent starting QB and many other glaring needs. 

Ive said it a  million times Macc isn't the answer here and neither is Bowles. 

You've repeated every one of your opinions a million times. 

36 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

Potential!  The guy is 30yo!  Hell no.  Go with the young guys and draft another or take on an UDFA.  

51 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Still can't believe that you don't see it. We need a career backup so that Petty and/or Hackenberg can get the starting job.

How are people not seeing this?

I totally get that. But the question is why bother? Why do you need a veteran back up in case your unproven rookie/project quarterback does not pan out? It goes back to the idea of two wins being better than six wins. if you fail, why go chasing mediocrity? The system in place is designed to help the worst teams get better. It unintentionally keeps the middle of the pack teams stuck right there.  The last thing I want in the event that my homegrown young quarterbacks do not pan out is a viable quarterback option to win meaningless games with late in the season. The only time it is acceptable to have a quality veteran insurance quarterback  on the roster is when you have a franchise quarterback already in the fold. That way if your franchise QB has to miss a few games you are not dead in the water. But if you have no quarterback to insure, all your doing is potentially inflating your win total beyond your talent level in the event that you need to use the veteran.  Nah,  i'd go into the season with just petty and hack and if they get injured sign some nobody off the street who has no concept of our offense and can hand the ball off 45 times.  

53 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Good comparison.   Although Green would have been the QB of the Rams except for a cheap shot by Rodney Harrison in a pre season game that gave Kurt Warner his chance.

Agreed. He still ended up having a nice career in Kansas City.

1 minute ago, Lil Woody said:

I totally get that. But the question is why bother? Why do you need a veteran back up in case your unproven rookie/project quarterback does not pan out? It goes back to the idea of two wins being better than six wins. if you fail, why go chasing mediocrity? The system in place is designed to help the worst teams get better. It unintentionally keeps the middle of the pack team is stuck right there.   The last thing I want in the event that my homegrown young quarterbacks do not pan out is a viable quarterback option to win meaningless games with late in the season. The only time it is acceptable to have a quality veteran insurance quarterback  on the roster is when you have a franchise quarterback already in the fold. That way if your franchise QB has to miss a few games you are not dead in the water. But if you have no quarterback to ensure, all your doing is inflating your win total beyond your talent level. 

Because I think having 3 young QBs on a roster is not a good idea.

Archived