Report: Jets set to meet with QB Josh McCown

JetNation

3 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Just what the Jets need, another guy who couldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat.

I'd be lying if I said the accuracy issues didn't miff me a bit, even as a supporter of Hack.  That said, if he puts together a really nice season with a higher completion percentage (60+) grades on him will skyrocket.

Going into the upcoming season I've got the top guys ranked:

1. Sam Darnold

2. Josh Rosen

3. Jake Browning 

4. Mason Rudolph

5. Josh Allen

6. Luke Falk

7. Baker Mayfield (I wouldn't touch him)

I could see Darnold and Rosen flipping and 4-6 shuffling a bit.  

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

McCown is the kind of guy you pick up if you already have your starter, already consider yourself a contender under that starter, and want an experienced backup capable of QBing a handful of games, to keep you in the hunt if the starter is out for a week or a month.

For a team like us there is no point to this signing. Bowles will go with the veteran and waste another half-season or more of 1st team reps on a dead-end QB who won't make us a contender anyway. 

If they're not going to draft a QB, rather than McCown (or similar) I'd rather the 3rd QB was an UDFA rookie. If I knew today that under no circumstances will he be the opening day starter, even if he's initially the best of the three, then I could warm up to it.

Chase Daniel wouldn't kill me as a youngish guy who could maybe solidify the backup position, but otherwise I agree here. The Jets just don't need a 38 year old journeyman. Especially because I agree that Bowles would lean towards starting him. 

And if the Jets don't draft a QB at #6 (essentially giving up on the Hackenberg era before it began), then I don't want them drafting another QB at all this year. Once you get out of the first round -or even the top ten picks- all these QBs are long shots. They have two of those now, I'd let them compete and get playing time. They need to definitively see what they have, then make the plunge next year. 

Watson scares me because he threw a lot of interceptions in college, and his arm strength is questionable. The kind of kid that might throw a lot more interceptions in the pros. And Trubisky scares me because of the Mark Sanchez-sized body of work. 

13 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Just what the Jets need, another guy who couldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat.

Unquestionably Allen has to improve his 56% completions.  It was also his first year as a Div I starter after playing Juco.

If he is still at 56% this time next year he will be an after thought.  If he continues to improve as he has in the past, ( he has gained 40 pounds since HS) and get his % up into the mid 60's he could easily be a top QB in the draft.

At this point you are correct though, he needs to improve his accuracy.  Probably why he didn't come out this year. 

48 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Yeah, that perspective was certainly after the fact. Before the shenanigans he was considered a mentor to Bryce but not Geno given that Geno was already a "lost-cause" by jets fans. This is what Jets fans said. He suddenly wasnt the mentor type the moment he said what he said about the Jets coaching staff and front office. Remember, this was the same guy that Jets fans wanted to have sign a multi-year contract so he can be there to mentor the "kids". Lets not pretend like Fitz wasnt given the "mentor" label. 

Like I said, it's always the excuse to accept the buffoonery. I guess we should sign McCown now given that he's a "true" mentor? Lets be serious here. This is the REAL reason why Jets fans would even consider this. 

The reason? Sam Darnold and the fact that he'd d(McCown) be cheap. 

McCown was the QB/mentor of the Tampa Bay Bucs the year they earned the #1 pick in the draft (Jameis Winston). 

McCown was the QB/mentor for the Browns this year and they've earned the #1 pick in the draft this season. 

This is "The Mentor's" W/L record as a starter the last 3 seasons. 

2016: 0-5

2015: 1-7

2014: 1-10

So, Jets fans want a guy because he's considered a "mentor" yet in 3 years has a record of 2-22. I guess I am also to believe that his ability is worth MORE than vet minimum, though he's won just 2 games in 3 years...but can surely mentor the sh*t out of back ups though! Keep living the dream bud. I'll ask the same question I did back when this excuse was put on Fitz. What QB who was mentored by McCown has become a serviceable QB in the league because of it? Dont waste your time finding that answer....its not worth it. 

Like I said, this mentor position is an excuse to accept buffoonery and to ultimately draft a guy that people like but probably wont be the best QB in the draft when its all said and done. 

If the Jets sign this guy he'll be as despised in my eyes as Ryan Fitzpatrick. I wont be supporting that move. 

I don't want McCown as a starter, so there's that . I never wanted Fitzpatrick here as a starter, also that . I Can't speak as to why the Jets are interested in signing him, just why I want him . I want the Jets to draft Trubisky at 6 and throw them all out there in the OTAs .  Which ever of the 3 pups looks the best in the OTAs gets to be the lead dog at the start of Camp . Who ever loses out in camp loses out as a Jet .

As far as you supporting him, why would I expect you to change your mind . You are Villan, loyal to the bitter end .

14 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

I'd be lying if I said the accuracy issues didn't miff me a bit, even as a supporter of Hack.  That said, if he puts together a really nice season with a higher completion percentage (60+) grades on him will skyrocket.

1. Sam Darnold

2. Josh Rosen

3. Jake Browning 

4. Mason Rudolph

5. Josh Allen

6. Luke Falk

Browning and Falk have suspect arm talent and Mayfield is a shrimp . Allen's age is an issue also  

35 minutes ago, adb280z said:

Not if you aren't high on any of them.  I'd rather wait another year than draft someone with big limitations.

The same thing happened in 2013.  Jets and Bills out of pure desperation took Manuel and Geno way too early.  In fact, Glennon is the only starter and he is one because the league is so bare of QB talent.  That QB draft class was so bad, Geno is probably the only 2nd string QB.

So I agree with your point, you don't draft a QB in the first two rounds unless you see him as a franchise QB and able to lead the franchise by their second season.  

Taking Trubisky or Watson because you hope they can develop into an average starter, why take him.  You can draft other positions to be average because you can hide some weaknesses.  You can't hide a QBs weaknesses unless you are superior everywhere else.

If this franchise drafts a QB early in this draft, our offense for the foreseeable future, will be back in 2009 mold without the running game and defense to bail them out.  It will make this terrible season coming up even worse.  Because we will be out of the QB market in 2018.

I would expect that no team with top pick of the 2018 draft possibilities (SF, Chi, NYJets) draft a QB until day 3.

2 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

I don't think anyone can "develop" Hack properly probably ever. Especially not the staff and management in place. That's a fools errand. 

I hear what you are saying, but the the difference between me and you is, that I am unwilling to give up on Hack when he hasn't been given a chance yet.

Again I say, its time to roll the dice. Who is the winningest QB coming out this year. Who has taken his team to two national championship games, won one and almost by a force of will won the second one.
Deshon Watson stock continues to rise among many of the voices that really count.
I do not want to wait till next year in hopes of getting a kid who has not even made it to a national championship. We have seen all too many west coast wonders fall flat on there faces, including our own number one pick.
I want a QB who has played in bad weather and understands the elements. It time the Jets stop shopping in the bargain basement in the draft and the markdown isle in free agency, for the most important position on the team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The most horrifying part of this whole Qb thing is it doesn't matter at all which jag we pick up, mccown, cutler, the dude whats his face from philly.  Whoever we sign will come in and be by far the best qb in camp and will be the starter all year unless he gets hurt. 

If we're taking a QB at #6, it should be Watson.

I'd prefer trading back, accumulate picks, focus on areas of depth in this particular draft - TE, CB, OLB - and add Nathan Peterman or Davis Webb somewhere along the line, in later rounds after we've netted a couple of rookie starters. But... this is what I said to do a couple years ago with either Garrapolo or Tom Savage, and last year with Dak Prescott or Jacoby Brissett. 

So, what do I know.

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

The most horrifying part of this whole Qb thing is it doesn't matter at all which jag we pick up, mccown, cutler, the dude whats his face from philly.  Whoever we sign will come in and be by far the best qb in camp and will be the starter all year unless he gets hurt. 

I'm not accepting that as a given just yet. I think Petty looked good in most of his preseason work. He got limited reps in year 1 behind Fitz and Geno. Then he basically lost 3/4 of his 2nd year to injury. By the time we were starting him, the team around him had given up. 

I think there's more to him. I hope there is. It'll be his 3rd year, but the Jets really have ****ed up his first 2 seasons of development - not many here talk about it, but it is the reality. 

I don't know what Hack's learning curve is yet either... but you never know. Either way, I have a hard time believing that Bowles will be allowed to just railroad the young players again this year. McCown may just be a depth signing. Hell, he might be a ******* smoke screen for the draft... with the Jets trying to telegraph that they don't want a QB at #6 overall. 

Generally speaking, until McCown is announce as starter, none of the histrionics here are warranted. It's March.

1 hour ago, Mogglez said:

1. Sam Darnold

2. Josh Rosen

3. Jake Browning 

4. Mason Rudolph

5. Josh Allen

6. Luke Falk

Good info.  As someone who doesn't follow college ball, I rely on you guys and draft profiles to form an opinion.

What if you ranked this year's QBs as well?  The Clemson guy, Notre Dame dude and the kid from the blue team who's name starts with "T" (I think). 

Where would they fit in?

Signing McCown is a sure sign they will give Petty/Hack every chance to win the job in Training Camp. My money is on Hack but it would be a small bet because no one including the Jets know what they have in Hack until they see him in game situations.  I feel Petty is not an NFL starter even with the small sample size. He just doesn't  look like a guy who can sustain a level of play of the course of the season. I want them to draft OFFENSE at #6. Be it QB,RB or WR. Of course I would prefer Watson but they need to get some talent on the offensive side of the ball. I agree with the posters who support getting playmaker's on offense to support whom ever the QB will be. They need to start building a strong foundation so they can progress to a higher level. If they don't draft Watson and the top 2 wideouts are gone I hope they trade down to accumulate more picks. That would probably be my preference all things considered.

4 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

Signing McCown is a sure sign they will give Petty/Hack every chance to win the job in Training Camp. My money is on Hack but it would be a small bet because no one including the Jets know what they have in Hack until they see him in game situations.  I feel Petty is not an NFL starter even with the small sample size. He just doesn't  look like a guy who can sustain a level of play of the course of the season. I want them to draft OFFENSE at #6. Be it QB,RB or WR. Of course I would prefer Watson but they need to get some talent on the offensive side of the ball. I agree with the posters who support getting playmaker's on offense to support whom ever the QB will be. They need to start building a strong foundation so they can progress to a higher level. If they don't draft Watson and the top 2 wideouts are gone I hope they trade down to accumulate more picks. That would probably be my preference all things considered.

I just feel our idiot GM will draft a CB or S at the #6 spot.  Defense doesn't mean crap in today's NFL.

5 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

I agree with you...I think last year was seeing if the Jets feel Petty can be a #2. 

3 hours ago, Tinstar said:

I don't want McCown as a starter, so there's that . I never wanted Fitzpatrick here as a starter, also that . I Can't speak as to why the Jets are interested in signing him, just why I want him . I want the Jets to draft Trubisky at 6 and throw them all out there in the OTAs .  Which ever of the 3 pups looks the best in the OTAs gets to be the lead dog at the start of Camp . Who ever loses out in camp loses out as a Jet .

As far as you supporting him, why would I expect you to change your mind . You are Villan, loyal to the bitter end .

Since you've specified, I'll give you my feelings on that situation. Lets take it as McCown comes in as the veteran back up. We both know that he's not coming in as the #3 back up, he'll be backing up the starter. 

My problem with that is this. What if Bryce/Hack battle it out for the starting role and Bryce wins. Bryce is the starter but last year's 2nd round pick is once again left with zero reps for a 2nd consecutive season because we picked up a veteran free agent that is interfering with that development. What is more important at this point, a vet being a mentor or these newbies getting actual reps in practice? 

Now, if Hack won the job then I wouldnt have a problem with McCown as the back up and Bryce as the #3. I feel like Bryce has been a Jet going on his 3rd season, so if he let Hack beat him out then he deserves to be the #3. However, I doubt that we're going to draft a QB and carry 4 again, so that means that if we sign McCown then we're most likely moving forward with those three as our QB's for the season. 

When will our 2nd round pick ever get a chance to develop? I mean really, he was the #4 QB on the roster and didnt even dress until week 17 and now we're going to once again put another vet that in all reality....ALL REALITY, does nothing to make this team better? I'd rather Hackenberg get 2nd string reps and dress for games than next to nothing at the 3rd string. I'd rather draft a QB and let that guy play the 3rd string, hopefully our 3rd year man is ready to start and let hack be the back up. 

A couple things imo Jets fans must stop doing, but the main thing is to stop treating these grown men like "kids". They're men at a high-profile position. If Bryce still needs a mentor going into his 3rd season then he's not the guy and should be cut immediately. Hackenberg's case is understandable. In a situation like his its going to take time. His situation at Penn St. simply wasnt good and he has to be rebuilt from the ground up. With that said though, he has to show some signs of life as well. Im not saying that he has to start, but the man needs reps in order to develop. He's not going to get that when his "mentor" is taking all of the reps as the #2. Hackenberg needs the opportunity to show that he's responded to his redshirt season. Being able to handle the #2 role imo would be that response. Give that #3 role to a rookie QB. We all know that during practice 70% of the reps goes to the starter with 30% going to the #2. Your suggestion would basically mean that our 2nd round pick would have gone two seasons without actual reps for this football team. Then whats the point of even mentoring him when you're not even developing him? This is why you dont pay crappy vet quarterbacks to mentor but good coaches instead. 

There's literally nothing that McCown can do for this team, even as a back up. All that would do is push Hackenberg back to not getting the reps he needs and it will more than likely force us not to draft another QB given that I doubt we'll continuously hold 4 QB's on the roster every season. If we sign McCown then Bryce should be cut given that he's been here for a couple years and the McCown signing should be considered an indictment on his ability, or lack thereof. 

15 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Since you've specified, I'll give you my feelings on that situation. Lets take it as McCown comes in as the veteran back up. We both know that he's not coming in as the #3 back up, he'll be backing up the starter. 

My problem with that is this. What if Bryce/Hack battle it out for the starting role and Bryce wins. Bryce is the starter but last year's 2nd round pick is once again left with zero reps for a 2nd consecutive season because we picked up a veteran free agent that is interfering with that development. What is more important at this point, a vet being a mentor or these newbies getting actual reps in practice? 

Now, if Hack won the job then I wouldnt have a problem with McCown as the back up and Bryce as the #3. I feel like Bryce has been a Jet going on his 3rd season, so if he let Hack beat him out then he deserves to be the #3. However, I doubt that we're going to draft a QB and carry 4 again, so that means that if we sign McCown then we're most likely moving forward with those three as our QB's for the season. 

When will our 2nd round pick ever get a chance to develop? I mean really, he was the #4 QB on the roster and didnt even dress until week 17 and now we're going to once again put another vet that in all reality....ALL REALITY, do nothing to make this team better? I'd rather Hackenberg get 2nd string reps and dress for games than next to nothing at the 3rd string. I'd rather draft a QB and let that guy play the 3rd string, hopefully our 3rd year man is ready to start and let hack be the back up. 

A couple things imo Jets fans must stop doing but the main thing is to stop treating these grown men like "kids". They're men at a high-profile position. If Bryce still needs a mentor going into his 3rd season then he's not the guy and should be cut immediately. Hackenberg's case is understandable. In a situation like his its going to take time. His situation at Penn St. simply wasnt good and he has to be rebuilt from the ground up. With that said though, he has to show some signs of life as well. Im not saying that he has to start, but the man needs reps in order to develop. He's not going to get that when his "mentor" is taking all of the reps as the #2. Hackenberg needs the opportunity to show that he's responded to his redshirt season. Being able to handle the #2 role imo would be that response. Give that #3 role to a rookie QB. We all know that during practice 70% of the reps goes to the starter with 30% going to the #2. Your suggestion would basically mean that our 2nd round pick would have gone two seasons without actual reps for this football team. Then whats the point of even mentoring him when you're not even developing him? This is why you dont pay crappy vet quarterbacks to mentor but good coaches instead. 

There's literally nothing that McCown can do for this team, even as a back up. All that would do is push Hackenberg back to not getting the reps he needs and it will more than likely force us not to draft another QB given that I doubt we'll continuously hold 4 QB's on the roster every season. If we sign McCown then Bryce should be cut given that he's been here for a couple years and the McCown signing should be considered an indictment on his ability, or lack thereof. 

In my scenario, either Hack or Petty will not be a part of the 53 man roster . My Scenario involves the drafting of a QB (Trubisky ) who either starts or is the 3rd string (hopefully) since I don't believe he will be ready, thus making McCown the 2nd string QB .  Either the Starter ball out or last long enough for the rook to acclimate himself enough to take over keeping McCown in the position I signed him for .   

My Hope is Hack wins the Job, but he's going to have to win the Job to stick around .

17 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

McCown is the kind of guy you pick up if you already have your starter, already consider yourself a contender under that starter, and want an experienced backup capable of QBing a handful of games, to keep you in the hunt if the starter is out for a week or a month.

For a team like us there is no point to this signing. Bowles will go with the veteran and waste another half-season or more of 1st team reps on a dead-end QB who won't make us a contender anyway. 

If they're not going to draft a QB, rather than McCown (or similar) I'd rather the 3rd QB was an UDFA rookie. If I knew today that under no circumstances will he be the opening day starter, even if he's initially the best of the three, then I could warm up to it.

I think he is worse every day than Fitz was last year for us

4 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

Every crappy QB is a "mentor QB". What does that even mean? Fitzpatrick was a mentor QB...now McCown is a mentor QB. This "Mentor QB" statement is just sh*t Jets fans tell themselves in order to accept the buffoonery by this organization for moves similar to this. To prove this, Fitz was a "Mentor QB" in which Bryce had 2 years to be mentored along with Hack's 1 year. It's year 3 for Bryce, what more "mentoring" must this guy get from other QB's who've not established anything in this league in order to be considered "mentors"? Outside of being a professional, what can McCown really bring, and more importantly is it worth him being on the 53? I highly doubt it, especially after allegedly having 2 years of Fitz playing that role which only amounted to the "kiddy core" needing Josh McCown as another "mentor". Obviously the statement is meaningless. "The Mentor" Fitz for example got in front of the media and pointed the finger at the organization for benching him for his poor performance as well as the locker room as a whole becoming a circus last season while he was the QB. Winning 

As for the "vet minimum", this goes beyond what you think he's worth. We dont need a quarterback like him given the Jets QB situation. It's not like we have a more established QB and we need a serviceable back up. We dont need him possibly taking away starting reps for guys who we need to see. This is what happened to Geno Smith the last two years and he left with Jets not knowing what he could possibly bring to the table. That "mentor QB" sh*t only flies but so far. Since the Jets passed on Glennon they should either put the 3rd year guy in, the 2nd year guy in as well as draft another QB. Im getting tired of wasting time with QB's where the best thing that you can say about them has nothing to do with their game on the field. "mentor QB". Again, what does that even mean? The Jets need a quarterback, not a mentor for the QB's currently on the roster. The "kiddy" aspect of their development should be over and done with. It's time for Bryce Petty and Hackenberg to compete for the job since the Jets decided that Glennon was to rich of a contract to take on. Bryce has 2 years left on his contract, if he wins the competition then we have a maximum of 2 years to see what he can do, considering that he does well this season. If not we can then see Hack in his 3rd year.  The winner of that competition starts with the 3rd rookie QB being "mentored" by the QB's currently on the roster. Let some other team pay McCown above vet minimum to be a mentor. Jets fans should have had enough of that with Ryan Fitzpatrick....but this fanbase seems to be heavily into S&M lol. 

Im getting tired of the Jets making stupid ass decisions like this. Im not making excuses for this sh*t such as "mentoring". McCown can take that mentoring label and go kick rocks somewhere else. 

I am glad someone else sees this.  

If the Jets current QBs are crap then get rid of them and get folks in here who can play.  The idea that you mentor guys whom you don't think can do it doesn't make any sense and if you do think they can make it put them in and let them play it is that simple.

27 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

In my scenario, either Hack or Petty will not be a part of the 53 man roster . My Scenario involves the drafting of a QB (Trubisky ) who either starts or is the 3rd string (hopefully) since I don't believe he will be ready, thus making McCown the 2nd string QB .  Either the Starter ball out or last long enough for the rook to acclimate himself enough to take over keeping McCown in the position I signed him for .   

Which again makes McCown the problem. Say we sign McCown as the back up and Bryce looks better than Hackenberg...who Maccagnan knew would be a project but one with high rewards if developed, which is why we drafted him in the 2nd round. You are now suggesting that we possibly cut our 2nd round pick simply because we picked up a JAG QB that obviously has no future with us outside of a season, maybe two (just to not sound so bias). Furthermore, you're okay with cutting short QB development after using a 2nd round pick on a guy the organization knew they needed to develop.......for Josh McCown of all people. 

Now, I wouldnt necessarily have a problem if the QB cut was Bryce Petty, but then we have this scenario. What if you draft Trubisky and he's not ready? I mean lets be real here, he didnt seem all that ready in North Carolina, atleast as a consistent player. He's a 1 year collegiate starter who wasnt consistent and is also the same quarterback who couldnt even beat out Marquise Williams last year for the starting role at NC...a quarterback in Williams who ended up being an undrafted rookie free agent. Trubisky last season couldnt beat out a quarterback who went undrafted during last years draft. 

Now here's the problem. Trubisky is not ready and in order to keep McCown as your #2 you have to start Hackenberg...a guy who was #4 or the depth chart last year, basically redshirted and has not had any respectable reps on the NFL level. He's now become the Jets starting QB now that Bryce has been cut, Trubisky isnt ready and McCown HAS TO BE the #2 back up. 

Tinstar, Josh McCown is a bad idea my friend, no matter how you slice it. And even if you decide to keep all 4 QB's now you have Bryce as the starter, along with Hackenberg and Trubisky at the #3 and #4 positions with Hack not getting any reps for a 2nd season and Trubisky, a guy who you probably have us drafting at #6 not even dressing for games as he's the #4 QB and is only on the 53 in order to keep other teams from picking him up off of our practice squad. How is that going to look to fans after doing that with a 2nd round pick last year? What would make you think that we wont put a veteran like McCown in front of Trubisky next season like how you want us to do with Hackenberg this season? 

This is how you squander draft picks and talent.

8 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

If Hack can't beat out Petty he should be cut . Enough with keeping draft picks because of where they were drafted .

To expect such a thing after Hack go zero reps last season is the same type of thinking that would also have you signing Josh McCown as a back up. 

How about saying "Enough with keeping crappy vet JAG's on this team and interrupting development of quarterbacks still under rookie contracts". I mean, Geno Smith just left this team and no matter anyone's personal opinion on the guy, as a football player we truly had no idea what he could/couldnt do because we decided to give the team to a JAG vet QB that wasnt worth the time in the end, as usual. 

How about this...Develop the talent and stop signing QB's that failed with 15 other teams and having that person interrupt the development process in the name of "mentoring". 

The fact that you began with "mentoring" and ended with "Hack should be cut if he cant beat out Bryce" shows the type of mentoring you were thinking of. As I said, the label is and has always been a bullsh*t one. 

Would love this to happen. It guarantees us a tank season. Unless hakenberg is the next coming of christ. We wont spend alot on him. And it makes sure we dont sign sum1 like romo cutler kapernick. All for signing mcCown

30 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

I am glad someone else sees this.  

If the Jets current QBs are crap then get rid of them and get folks in here who can play.  The idea that you mentor guys whom you don't think can do it doesn't make any sense and if you do think they can make it put them in and let them play it is that simple.

Exactly. And why bring in a crappy as Vet as a "mentor" when that same guy is going to end up interfering with the most important aspect, with is development. I can understand if you had just 1 QB on your team that you felt needed to be mentored and be hidden in the background so you bring in a respectable guy to be your starter while at the same time mentoring the other QB while he stays the #2. But when you bring in a guy who has never in his career been a winning QB in his 12 seasons to be a mentor on a squad that has a 4th round QB and a 2nd round developmental QB then how are you going to actually develop them? If Bryce ends up starting then why do you need McCown? If McCown Starts then there's no need for Bryce to be here so cut him. 

Either way, if we get a free agent QB it should be one that the team thinks is good enough to start given that we already have two QB's that should be filling out the back up roles. Bringing McCown to be a backup is asinine and will only take reps away from guys like Hack that needs those #2 QB reps in practice. 

Draft a rookie QB at 6 Watson or Trubisky and you have a camp battle between the rookie,Petty and Hack. 
We need to move forward with a youth movement no more old QB retreads don't need them we have a QB coach. 

Agree 100000000000% with this

11 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

To expect such a thing after Hack go zero reps last season is the same type of thinking that would also have you signing Josh McCown as a back up. 

How about saying "Enough with keeping crappy vet JAG's on this team and interrupting development of quarterbacks still under rookie contracts". I mean, Geno Smith just left this team and no matter anyone's personal opinion on the guy, as a football player we truly had no idea what he could/couldnt do because we decided to give the team to a JAG vet QB that wasnt worth the time in the end, as usual. 

How about this...Develop the talent and stop signing QB's that failed with 15 other teams and having that person interrupt the development process in the name of "mentoring". 

The fact that you began with "mentoring" and ended with "Hack should be cut if he cant beat out Bryce" shows the type of mentoring you were thinking of. As I said, the label is and has always been a bullsh*t one. 

This was my idea before the jets signed Fitzpatrick, but because of a punch, it was set aside . Neither Hack or Petty has the experience Geno had  that would have allowed us to do what you're suggesting . The Jets roster needs a veteran QB, and it should be McCown .  He's either going to mentor Petty and Trubisky or Hack and Trubisky  .

Everyone says taking watson or trubisky at 6 is way too high for them...unfortunately we dont have the luxury of taking guys at 6 that we should be taking. We have the most atrocious qb situation possible. Every pick should be used to get a qb until this franchise gets it right. Even if that means 0-16 seasons

1 minute ago, Villain The Foe said:

Exactly. And why bring in a crappy as Vet as a "mentor" when that same guy is going to end up interfering with the most important aspect, with is development. I can understand if you had just 1 QB on your team that you felt needed to be mentored and be hidden in the background so you bring in a respectable guy to be your starter while at the same time mentoring the other QB while he stays the #2. But when you bring in a guy who has never in his career been a winning QB in his 12 seasons to be a mentor on a squad that has a 4th round QB and a 2nd round developmental QB then how are you going to actually develop them? If Bryce ends up starting then why do you need McCown? If McCown Starts then there's no need for Bryce to be here so cut him. 

Either way, if we get a free agent QB it should be one that the team thinks is good enough to start given that we already have two QB's that should be filling out the back up roles. Bringing McCown to be a backup is asinine and will only take reps away from guys like Hack that needs those #2 QB reps in practice. 

You know I agree with you. 

As you know there was more than one reason to have brought in Glennon so that this foolishness would stop.  

The real danger is as you posted that we end up bringing in a horrific veteran QB like McCown to once again delay the development of QBs that have been recently drafted.  The plain truth is if the QBs on the roster aren't any good I say get rid of them because holding on to them wont make them better.

Hack and Petty have been POORLY developed so far.  

Petty had far to few reps last year and Hack had practically none, just so we could trot out onto the field  a QB who was the worst performing QB in the entire NFL.  It is moves like these that sink a franchise and somehow people want to continue this cycle so that the Jets have another decade of maddeningly poor QB play.

4 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

This was my idea before the jets signed Fitzpatrick, but because of a punch, it was set aside . Neither Hack or Petty has the experience Geno had  that would have allowed us to do what you're suggesting . The Jets roster needs a veteran QB, and it should be McCown .

I dont disagree that the Jets need a veteran QB, I absolutely disagree that the QB should be Josh McCown. 

Dude, we dont need a back up vet QB. We already have quarterbacks on this roster that can fill a back up role. Also, if we get a veteran QB it should be a starter, if not then put out the 3rd year guy in Petty, put Hack as the #2 and draft a QB. 

Why do you have this need to interrupt development and interfere with figuring out what a QB that we drafted can be for this team? Signing McCown as a back up when you have 2 QB's who can obviously be a back up serves no purpose whatsoever. It doesnt even make any sense. 

And Bryce Petty does have the amount of experience as Geno...in terms of years in the league when comparing the year that Fitz became a Jet. When Fitz came in Geno was in his 3rd year as a pro. Bryce is now in his 3rd year. Sure, he doesnt have as many games under his belt, but it can also be said that Geno was thrown to the wolves because Rex Ryan was a Jackass and got Sanchez hurt in a meaningless preseason game just to win a ******* snoopy trophy. Bryce Petty had his 1st season as a redshirt and his 2nd season he got a taste of live action. Bryce Petty should be starting at this point. That's how we should be developing. 

Hackenbergs 1st season he was redshirted, his 2nd season he should be the back up to the 3rd year QB in Petty. The QB that we draft should be the #3. If Bryce did just enough to still keep the FO curious (Jets go 7-9 or 8-8 and Bryce looked good more often than not) then start him again on his last year of his deal and keep the same roles but do not draft a QB. If Bryce fails as a starter, cut him and now Hackenberg should be ready to take the reigns as the starter having 2 years of development, with the rookie behind him being bumped up the following season to the #2 spot and then draft a QB. 

This is how you find your QB on the cheap. Not picking up Josh McCown simply because he's Josh McCown. 

Archived