Official JetNation 2017 Mock Draft DISCUSSION thread

Dcat

The JetNation Mock Draft will start on Monday, 3/20 at 8AM ET.  Link below is to the google doc that will be used to track the draft.  

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1glVpu3uL8ciPwWJPzlOdTfDulelopORTO-EA_tQBLgc/

Navigate by using the tabs at the bottom.  The Draft tab will lead you to the actual draft results and picks in every round.  The player tab is a list of all players available -- special thanks to @Beerfish for putting this sheet together.  He provided the player rankings from across 9 sites.  @Lith added hundreds more from CBS Sports.com, so there are over 1,000 players in the sheet.  The draft is not limited to these players, but with 1,000 prospects listed, there should not be many guys selected who are not in the sheet.  If you draft someone who is not on the sheet, we will manually add them as the pick is made.  Send me or @NYJetsVets91 a PM if anyone has problems accessing/using the sheet.  It is a large file with a lot of links between tabs, so it may take a minute or so to load depending on the speed of your internet connection and/or your computer.  A big thanks also to @Lith for assisting with the organization of all this.

JetNation Mock Draft rules:

1. Duration: We will be doing a full 7 round mock NFL draft. This will likely take a little more than 2 weeks from start to finish.  
  2. Trades: Trades will be allowed, but only trades of 2017 picks.  No trading of future year picks or active NFL players is permitted (i.e. The Redskins GM is not permitted to trade Cousins during our mock, unless it happens to go down for real in the NFL before the pertinent rounds have started in the mock).  Submit all trades to me and to @NYJetsVets91 in order to be finalized and so we can amend the spreadsheet. And please, if you are managing two teams, no trades are permitted between your own two teams.
  3. Draft clock: Each GM will have a 3-hour window to make his pick when his team is on the clock. The 3-hour window will run between the 8AM and 11PM ET. The clock does not reset each morning.  If you go on the clock at 10PM – you will have until 10AM the next morning to submit your picks. The clock will not reset for the full 3 hours at 8AM.
  4. Unavailable GMs:  If your pick is coming up and you know that you may not be available, please send in advance 3 – 5 potential picks in order of priority via PM to me and to John @NYJetsVets91 and one of us will make the pick.
  5. Advising the next team it is on-the-clock (OTC):   After you have made your pick, please send a PM to the next GM advising him that his team is on the clock. If you go into your profile, under the notifications tab, you can elect to receive an email when you receive a PM -- this can help to keep things moving more quickly.
  6. Missed picks: If you miss a pick, John, and/or I will make the pick for you, so it is in your best interest to send us a short list of preferences if you can't be around for your pick.  Also, if you do miss a pick, please send PM to us letting us know that you intend to continue in the draft.  If we do not receive a PM after a missed pick, we will make your next pick as well.  This will apply regardless of when your next pick is.  If you have consecutive picks and you miss the first, you will not get another 3 hours for the 2nd.  Once we make a pick for you, that pick is final as soon as the next draft pick is made.  If you miss 2 or more picks in a row, we will look to replace you with another GM unless you let us know that you plan to continue.

Draft will begin at 8:00 AM on Monday, March 20th. The Cleveland Browns, @Beerfish is OTC. Team assignments can be found below.

Thanks everyone!

-NYJetsVets91 (John)

-Dcat (David)

GM Team 1 Team 2
Beerfish Browns Patriots
Dcat Ravens Dolphins
Hey Mangold Eagles Cowboys
Integrity 28 Colts  
j4jets Chargers  
JiF Falcons Jaguars
King P Panthers Lions
Lil Woody Saints 49ers
Lith Bengals  
Lupz27 Texans Bills
Matt39 Cardinals Buccaneers
New York Mick Titans  
NYJetsVets91 Jets Broncos
Paradis Packers  
PepPep Raiders Bears
PowPow Rams Redskins
Sarge4Tide Chiefs Vikings
Section 314 Steelers  
T0m Shane Giants Seahawks

And we are under way...  Garrett to Browns.  A pretty obvious pick absent a herculean trade by some team to move into the #1.

@Lil Woody San Francisco is OTC.  SInce the draft doesn't start officially until tomorrow AM, you have until 10:00 AM to make the pick.  Of course, you coould make it sooner and we can continue with the early start.  Please put your selection in the Selection-only thread.  

As we are getting started, can everyone please check the draft picks for their team(s).  I think I have the correct draft order in the spreadsheet (it was taken from ESPN about a week ago and I don't think there were any transactions that I have missed).  But please take a quick look at your team's picks and let me, Dcat or NYJetsVets know if a correction is needed.

Thanks

• Upvote 2

imagejpeg

imagejpeg

Team Needs Code Descriptions 

1 (or P1) - This is the absolutely highest priority team positional need. If a player position (PP) is assigned a P1 code, the program will reach to fill the need. For example if a team is selecting 15th, the program will search to the 25th player (as an example) to fill the P1 need. A team can have only one P1 need. However, it is acceptable to have no P1 needs. 

2 (or P2) - PP's designated with P2 indicate that the that the team is in great need of starting caliber talent and will reach to fill the need. The reach isn't quite as great as P1. There can be multiple P2's identified per team. 

Regarding Reach, the reach limit changes as the selection number increases. 

3 (P3) - PP's (Player Positions) designated with P3 indicate that the team is in need of starting caliber talent, but will not reach for it. Some teams use a "best available player" draft discipline, this fits the P3 code well. Two notes on P3: a) even though we say "will not reach", there is a little bit of reach. Selection #25 could reach to the #30 rated player to fill a P3 need. B) If the program cycles through all the P1, P2, P3 and P4 needs without finding a player, the program will add more reach to the P3 PP's and search again for a P3 player. 

4 (P4) - PP's tagged with a P4 code are depth needs. P4 is purely a value oriented selection, so there is no reach. 

5 (P5) - The P5 code is used to identify positional needs that the team absolutely wants to fill (within reason), but does not want to invest a high draft pick. P5 PP's start the simulation as an equivalent to P4 (depth needs), but in the 3rd round all P5 PP's are promoted to P3. Thus the chances of the PP's getting a player fill increase dramatically in the 3rd round. 

6(P6) - The P6 code is used to identify late round fill needs - like a kicker, fullback, or backup QB. P6's have very low priority in rounds 1-5 and will only fill a player under the most unlucky of circumstances for the team. In the 5th round, a conversion takes place and all P6 PP's convert to P4. 

P7 and P8 do not exist. They did once but were replicative and never seemed to fill. 

9 (P9) - PP's tagged with a P9 code are positions where the team is absolutely set. But there are occurrences where the program simply cannot find any player to fill the P1-P6 designations within a reasonable reach. In these cases the P9's will be sifted through and the best available selected.

This can assist in making your picks. Best of luck to all. Play ball!

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Dcat said:

To the 10 GMs with two teams:

@Warfish would like to play.  Can one of you donate a team to Warfish?

No, it's ok, thinking about it I may not have the availabillity to be reliable.  I'm sorry, I shouldn't have said anythign tbqh.  Just surprised I missed that this was happening.

Sorry.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

No, it's ok, thinking about it I may not have the availabillity to be reliable.  I'm sorry, I shouldn't have said anythign tbqh.  Just surprised I missed that this was happening.

Sorry.

OK.  Feel free to join in the discussion.  Your opinions on our Keystone Kops draft are appreciated.

• Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, prime21 said:

Clock is ticking on that trade back.  Lets get on the horn, the fans are restless!!

This is exactly what I expect to go down at the actual draft.  He's in a tough spot here.  I rejected a trade down with Baltimore and I don't think there are many teams willing to trade up to #6 considering what's on the board now.  

15 minutes ago, Dcat said:

This is exactly what I expect to go down at the actual draft.  He's in a tough spot here.  I rejected a trade down with Baltimore and I don't think there are many teams willing to trade up to #6 considering what's on the board now.  

When this thing goes off for real, I am hoping that Fournette is still on the board and maybe someone will want to jump in front of Carolina and maybe we have a chance to trade back to 10-15 and pick up an extra 2nd.  Had our draft board unfolded differently, I was prepared to make an offer for Cincy to jump up from 9, but I am content to wait until 9 for now.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Lil Woody said:

Hooker would be a very disappointing selection for me.  Especially w both WRs and Barnett and Howard on the board.  

I'm not convinced on Mike Williams being a great value at #6, although I do like him.  I don't consider him to be the next Sammy Watkins, D'Andre Hopkins or any other Clemson bred stud WR (please no Charone Peak jokes)  I could be wrong and WR is a position of need. It' really tough to wrap my mind around picking a TE at #6, but Howard could be the BPA there and of course, it is one of the most glaring needs on the Jets. 

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

Adam Schefter:  "We are hearing that the NY Jets, were looking to trade down and had an agreement in principle for a deal with the Cleveland Browns.  However the deal fell through at the last moment."

Haha. very good  The player Cleveland coveted was gone.  

3 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Adam Schefter:  "We are hearing that the NY Jets, were looking to trade down and had an agreement in principle for a deal with the Cleveland Browns.  However the deal fell through at the last moment."

I can attest to that. His sources are accurate. Was a good deal too.

Edited by NYJetsVets91
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, NYJetsVets91 said:

Hooker was the BPA... Besides I don't think either WR is worthy of #6 overall, same with Howard. I was thinking about going with Barnett, but he's kinda a tweener. Hooker will be a huge boost for our secondary. He's a ballhawking playmaker that we're lacking.

and... the moment Gilchrist's injury thing is cleared up, we can send his arse packing.  Don't want to see Gilchrist in a Jets jersey next season.  

For me, without a trade down partner, I would have gone with Howard or Hooker....  both right there at or near BPA AND positions of gigantic need for our Jets.

Good job @NYJetsVets91.

• Upvote 1

Hooker, to me, is a boom or bust prospect. Great ball skills and range, has the potential to be the ball hawking safety we have not had in years. But, watching his tape, he has a tendency to take some really bad angles and is easily fooled on play action. As much as he makes big plays, he gives them up too. If he can clean that part of his game up, he can be a great NFL player, but there is risk associated with the pick.

Just my opinion, but I probably would have passed on him at 6 for one of the offensive playmakers, but I get the pick and would not be shocked if this is the direction we go in next month.

• Upvote 1