Re-setting the Jets' needs after the first wave of free agency

Gas2No99

Re-setting the Jets' needs after the first wave of free agency

The first wave of free agency is over. In fact, only seven of the top 50 players on ESPN's 150 remain unsigned.

Recapping the New York Jets, they've added three new players -- cornerback Morris Claiborne, left tackle Kelvin Beachum and kicker Chandler Catanzaro. As a result, their team needs have changed a bit.

Updated priorities for free agency and the draft:

1. Quarterback: If you need an explanation, you haven't been paying attention for the last few months -- or 40 years. Adding a veteran is a must. Josh McCown left Sunday without a contract, so the search continues.

2. Safety: Other than making an offer to Tony Jefferson, who signed with the Baltimore Ravens, the Jets have been quiet. They need to add somebody because Marcus Gilchrist (knee surgery) might not be ready for the season and Calvin Pryor is entering the final year of his contract. (Don't bet on the Jets exercising his fifth-year option.) If they stand pat until the draft, it could be a sign they'd be comfortable with Jamal Adamsor Malik Hooker with the sixth pick. One of them figures to be available.

3. Tight end: New offensive coordinator John Morton is planning to integrate the tight end into the passing offense, so he needs an athletic pass catcher or two. Austin Seferian-Jenkins has the right skill set, but he's not reliable and he's facing a two-game suspension. Plus, he has only one year left on his contract. Free agent Mychal Rivera (Oakland Raiders), scheduled to visit Monday, could help from a stop-gap perspective. They need to add a young, athletic talent to the pipeline.

4. Cornerback: Claiborne, who signed a one-year contract, helps in the short term. The problem is, the position is too short term. Another one of their top three corners, Marcus Williams, is on a one-year RFA tender. The Jets need to develop long-term stability. It wouldn't be a surprise if they add another free agent -- can't have too many corners -- but the focus shifts to the corner-rich draft.

5. Edge rusher: This has been on the list for about a decade. Hey, these guys are hard to find. They're showing interest in non-tendered free agent Howard Jones (Tampa Bay Buccaneers), but any significant move likely would happen in the draft.

6. Insider linebacker:Their pursuit of Dont'a Hightower ended without a deal, but the size of the offer (five years, $55 million) indicates that replacing David Harris is very much on their mind. They have no known interest in the next-best free agent, Zach Brown (Buffalo Bills), so perhaps they're content for now. At some point, they have to add depth.

7. Wide receiver: Technically, the Jets haven't replaced Brandon Marshall. There's no sense of urgency because they still have Eric Decker(for now), Quincy Enunwa and others, but they're still exploring the market. They met with Quinton Patton (San Francisco 49ers), so it wouldn't be a surprise if they add a second-tier receiver.

8. Running back: It's no secret they're looking to add two elements, a back with pass-catching ability and a blocking back. Benny Cunningham (Los Angeles Rams) and Zach Line (Minnesota Vikings), both of whom visited, remain unsigned and would fill those respective roles.

Source: Career backup QB Chase Daniel will visit Jets

Continuing their meandering quarterback search, the New York Jets have shifted their attention to a player who has attempted only three passes over the past two seasons -- Chase Daniel.

The career backup, released recently by the Philadelphia Eagles, is scheduled to visit the Jets on Monday, ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter reported.

The Jets hosted free agent Josh McCown over the weekend -- they dined Saturday night at a popular New York steakhouse -- but he left Sunday without a contract. They also remain interested in Jay Cutler ... and pretty much every quarterback in the country not named Colin Kaepernick.

Daniel, 30, signed a three-year, $21 million contract last season with the Eagles, but he became expendable when they signed Nick Foles. Daniel visited the New Orleans Saints over the weekend.

He played with the Saints from 2010 to 2012, followed by three seasons with the Kansas City Chiefs and one with the Eagles. He hasn't played much at all -- only two career starts, 51-for-78, 480 yards, one touchdown and one interception. That's an 81.1 passer rating.

The upside is that he has a background in the West Coast offense, which the Jets likely will run under new coordinator John Morton. He and Morton have a link; they both worked under Sean Payton with the Saints, though not at the same time.

If Morton integrates some elements of Payton's offense into his own, it would help having Daniel's knowledge. But they're stretching it if they're counting on that as the primary reason to sign him.

Tell me again how great Macc is as a GM?   Pretty much every position group other than DL and RB is a mess.   No pass rushers despite drafting to OLB, no CB's despite signing 2 in FA, no S, 1 tiny ILB.  

Heading into year 3 with this regime and the team is void of talent.   How many Jets could even start for Dolphins?   

11 minutes ago, LionelRichie said:

Tell me again how great Macc is as a GM?   Pretty much every position group other than DL and RB is a mess.   No pass rushers despite drafting to OLB, no CB's despite signing 2 in FA, no S, 1 tiny ILB.  

Heading into year 3 with this regime and the team is void of talent.   How many Jets could even start for Dolphins?   

WR is good. I see potential in the LB corps which I hope Kevin Greene will unlock. 

A team void of talent couldn't win 5 games last year. This is the point I keep making. If this team is void of talent, how did they win 5 games last year?

4 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Mike Maccagnan in free agency 

Image result for scraping the bottom of the barrel gifs

He is very stubborn it appears. I can understand not wanting to get burned in FA like in 2015 though. This is just ridiculous. No QB to settle them down yet? Easy to see why players are not coming this way. This GM is turning out to be another joke. He needs some good hits in this draft.

Just now, Jetdawgg said:

He is very stubborn it appears. I can understand not wanting to get burned in FA like in 2015 though. This is just ridiculous. No QB to settle them down yet? Easy to see why players are not coming this way. This GM is turning out to be another joke. He needs some good hits in this draft.

I think the Romo situation in Dallas is holding all of the QBs up

Macc has his faults, like any other GM. But I think there is potential for good players in those he has drafted. HE does need to hit on this draft.

28 minutes ago, LionelRichie said:

Yeah, because the solution is to keep firing GMs every other year before they get a chance to develop the guys they drafted. 

#firetanny

#fireidzik

#firemacc

#firethenextguy

18 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Yeah, because the solution is to keep firing GMs every other year before they get a chance to develop the guys they drafted. 

#firetanny

#fireidzik

#firemacc

#firethenextguy

isn't that the way? it's foolish to call mac a failure at this point especially when you consider the multiple failed drafts of idzik and tanny.  the jets haven't had a decent pre mac draft since 2006.  sure, mac hasn't been perfect .  the revis contract was ridiculous and we are still waiting to see what hack and devon smith are capable of.  and of course the qb situation hasn't been solved. but he is bringing in younger guys and retaining younger players while releasing the marginal high priced vets.

this will be the draft that will make or break this regime.  teams just don't or shouldn't get many cracks at sub 10 draft picks.

13 minutes ago, rangerous said:

isn't that the way? it's foolish to call mac a failure at this point especially when you consider the multiple failed drafts of idzik and tanny.  the jets haven't had a decent pre mac draft since 2006.  sure, mac hasn't been perfect .  the revis contract was ridiculous and we are still waiting to see what hack and devon smith are capable of.  and of course the qb situation hasn't been solved. but he is bringing in younger guys and retaining younger players while releasing the marginal high priced vets.

this will be the draft that will make or break this regime.  teams just don't or shouldn't get many cracks at sub 10 draft picks.

Macc is failing big time how can you not see it. Have you been paying attention to the overall roster of this team lately many of the guys on the roster wouldn't be in the NFL if to werent for the Jets. Wake up dude. 

1 hour ago, Jetdawgg said:

I think he is trying to build for the long term without being completely embarrassing.  That may be as hard to achieve as a competitive rebuild.  

1 hour ago, UnitedWhofans said:

BTW, Deion Jones is a smaller LBer than Darron Lee. (Which is why he fell to the second round)

Nobody calling him a tiny LBer.

The Seahawks play a 4-3.  Deion Jones seems more fluid.  Darron Lee is also a lot bigger than Reuben Foster.

1 hour ago, peebag said:

Yep...the OL is all set.  Should be the bearer standard of all the league.

The OP notes that Marcus Williams is a tendered RFA.  So is Wesley Johnson at over $2mm.  I still think they are better off picking a C in the draft.  Should seriously look at someone in Round 3 or even 2.  Could lock down a C for 4 years at a reasonable comp.

48 minutes ago, rangerous said:

Those 2nd round picks killed Mac, but Mac also traded a bunch of picks to "competitively rebuild."  This is the year he can use 7 picks hopefully build the team.

When you look back at this drafts, at least I don't see many misses based on who was available when he picked (other than the 2nd rounds).  Jenkins and Mauldin were both good values.  

But this is the year he can potentially jumpstart the roster with draft picks, particularly the secondary.  Adding to the point above, the Jets are covered at C this year, so that could leave them away from a Pocic or Elflein if there are players available at positions where they are not covered.  

There are clear 2018 replacements needed at S, ILB , RB and WR (Decker), in addition to current vacancies at CB and TE.

According to ovethecap.com, Jets have approximately $24M in cap space.  Also according to overthecap, their estimated cost for the rookies will be around $8M, the cap hit would be closer to $4.5M as they would replace the bottom 7 players from their top 53.  Include the $5M they usually set aside for the season to sign veterans or practice squad players to the 53-man roster in case of injuries/cuts and they have about $14.5M in cap space left to sign any free agents.  Not sure what the numbers on the Quinton Patton deal will be/is but its probably small.  The Jets can still go after a replacement for Harris or Gilchrist as cutting those guys will offset the cap hit of the newly signed player or even give them more cap space to work with if the player cost less than Harris and/or Gilchrist.  (Gerald Hodges, Bradley McDougald)

But if they sign a QB for a cap hit close to that $14.5M, they will be limited on signing other free agents.  To lower the cap hit this year and still have the QB sign a starter money deal, it would have to be a multi-year deal with either a big bonus or increased salary in future years.  Both of which, I don't think the Jets would do considering the type of QBs they are bringing in.  They are probably looking to sign a QB on a one year deal at very low cost.  Higher than the highest back-up, but definitely lower than starter money.  Could be another Fitzpatrick-type deal but a little cheaper.

2 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

WR is good. I see potential in the LB corps which I hope Kevin Greene will unlock. 

A team void of talent couldn't win 5 games last year. This is the point I keep making. If this team is void of talent, how did they win 5 games last year?

Well I wouldn't exactly say it quite that way. The trouble is a lot of that "talent" has been cut and the rest of it leaves a lot to be desired. The way you say it you make it sound like an accomplishment winning 5 games. With the way this team played last year you might be right.

11 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

Well I wouldn't exactly say it quite that way. The trouble is a lot of that "talent" has been cut and the rest of it leaves a lot to be desired. The way you say it you make it sound like an accomplishment winning 5 games. With the way this team played last year you might be right.

What talent was cut? Fitz sucked, Revis sucked, Marshall was bad.

It's not an accomplishment. It's a fair judgement. People are talking about the Jets like they won 2 games last year. They won 5. More than Mangini had one year and more than Rex had one year.

1 minute ago, UnitedWhofans said:

What talent was cut? Fitz sucked, Revis sucked, Marshall was bad.

It's not an accomplishment. It's a fair judgement. People are talking about the Jets like they won 2 games last year. They won 5. More than Mangini had one year and more than Rex had one year.

Its called sarcasm friend. Winning 5 games is not something to be proud of. The way you wrote the post made it look like an accomplishment. It never has been and it never will be.

Just now, JetFaninMI said:

Its called sarcasm friend. Winning 5 games is not something to be proud of. The way you wrote the post made it look like an accomplishment. It never has been and it never will be.

Bottom line, we beat the Browns and 49ers last year. In overtime maybe, but it doesn't matter.

Fans and media should stop saying the Browns are better, when they clearly aren't at the moment. They have the opportunity to get better with money and picks but until they can show that they, themselves, can draft well (same here), no benefit of the doubt is given.

Macc has drafted better than the Browns, IMO, so I think we will improve.

5 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Bottom line, we beat the Browns and 49ers last year. In overtime maybe, but it doesn't matter.

Fans and media should stop saying the Browns are better, when they clearly aren't at the moment. They have the opportunity to get better with money and picks but until they can show that they, themselves, can draft well (same here), no benefit of the doubt is given.

Macc has drafted better than the Browns, IMO, so I think we will improve.

I never said the Browns are better. The Browns are bad because of youth and inexperience. The Jets are bad because of underwhelming play and bad choices in the draft and FA. Not to mention the lazy mail it in play of the veterans that were on this team. The discussion was about whether winning 5 games was something to be proud of. Not whether the Browns were better or about beating another crappy team in overtime. Nice way to change the subject though.

I never said the Browns are better. The Browns are bad because of youth and inexperience. The Jets are bad because of underwhelming play and bad choices in the draft and FA. Not to mention the lazy mail it in play of the veterans that were on this team. The discussion was about whether winning 5 games was something to be proud of. Not whether the Browns were better or about beating another crappy team in overtime. Nice way to change the subject though.

My complaint about my comparison to the Browns is more general. Winning 5 games is not an accomplishment. But the Jets should not be treated/compared to the Kotite Jets until the record bears that out. 

It's bad to be 5-11. But don't act like they're 2-14

Just now, UnitedWhofans said:

My complaint about my comparison to the Browns is more general. Winning 5 games is not an accomplishment. But the Jets should not be treated/compared to the Kotite Jets until the record bears that out. 

It's bad to be 5-11. But don't act like they're 2-14

LOL What's the difference? Draft order? Its a sad day when Jet Fans are crowing about the difference between 5 wins and 2 wins. They lost 11 and should have lost more but the ineptness of the teams they played did not make it so. The bottom line is this team has no viable starting QB and so many holes on defense that a piece of Swiss cheese would do a better job of stopping any offense and your saying its not like they were 2-14? Well get ready because unless a miracle occurs they might be lucky to win that many. I'm cool with that as long as they show some kind of growth. You should be to. Then you could say at least they won 2.

LOL What's the difference? Draft order? Its a sad day when Jet Fans are crowing about the difference between 5 wins and 2 wins. They lost 11 and should have lost more but the ineptness of the teams they played did not make it so. The bottom line is this team has no viable starting QB and so many holes on defense that a piece of Swiss cheese would do a better job of stopping any offense and your saying its not like they were 2-14? Well get ready because unless a miracle occurs they might be lucky to win that many. I'm cool with that as long as they show some kind of growth. You should be to. Then you could say at least they won 2.

OMG. How is saying "5 wins is not an accomplishment" crowing.

"You are what your record says you are" That's the difference. So instead of being bottom of the barrel crap, we're just crap. And the reaction should match accordingly.

1 minute ago, UnitedWhofans said:

OMG. How is saying "5 wins is not an accomplishment" crowing.

"You are what your record says you are" That's the difference. So instead of being bottom of the barrel crap, we're just crap. And the reaction should match accordingly.

LOL.So we suck but not totally? Suck is suck my friend. The level of suck doesn't matter.

55 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

okay they won five games.  you can't dispute that.  it's in the books.  but at the same time it was pretty clear that they could've easily won 8 with the right bounce of the ball and possibly even 10 with some really good luck.  and this in spite of fitz being qb or petty or even geno.

i think people need to lighten up and see this team as one that hasn't really addressed player needs through the draft since 2006.  so when people start getting on mac for addressing the needs through the draft you just gotta wonder if they find anything right with anything.  imo this will be a make/break draft and season for mac and bowles. i hope the same people who are being so critical are also honest enough to take back their negativity if hack starts and lights it up.

52 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

imo the browns are bad because they've had a revolving door of coaches and gm's.  they have a long line of high draft picks and not all of them are bad players. maybe firing these guys was right but at some point the team just has to stick with a guy.  the same thing goes on in buffalo.  this doesn't mean we have to take a crappy team year in and year out because the owner is focused on continuity but at some point the gm/coach need the freedom to develop a winning program.

as for the jets, they had 3 failed drafts in a row before mac was hired.  except for smith and hack, you could say mac has done a good job in drafting players.  and even there smith probably deserved a 2nd round slot.  can't say the same for hack but maybe he did too.  we'll find out soon enough.

4 hours ago, Jetdawgg said:

Like I said in another post, Macc's do-nothing approach to free agency so far means that his job pretty much is dependent upon nailing it in the draft.

When was the last time this gaylord team used a 1st round pick on a qb?

was it Kenny O?

since then it's been suck suck suck with brief moments of respectability

this team needs to find a qb and use the first to grab one. Enough with dt and cb nonsense. Time to break the cycle. You don't always get to pick 6th. Use it on the most valuable position, which we are in dire need of. Mahones......Watson...please for christs sake

Archived