Interesting QB tidbit from Tony Pauline

section314

Looking Ahead

Sam Darnold has already been anointed the No. 1 pick of the 2018 draft and the next franchise signal caller.

New York Jets fans are already starting a “Suck for Sam” campaign, hoping the team tanks in 2017 in order to have the chance of acquiring Darnold in a little more than a year. This represents a foolish strategy in my opinion.

But if Darnold is the prized pick of the 2018 NFL Draft, Wyoming quarterback Josh Allen is not far behind.

I listed Allen as a Week 12 Riser back last December and mentioned that while I graded the redshirt sophomore as a second-round choice, I “unflinchingly believe he offers first-round potential down the road.”

After breaking down the Wyoming film this weekend, I firmly believe Allen would’ve competed to be the first signal caller off the board had he entered next month’s draft.

The size, release, arm strength and athleticism to make plays with his legs or arm is a more complete package than any signal caller I presently grade for the 2017 draft.

Some of the passes Allen made were just jaw-dropping. He consistently delivered the ball accurately through the tight spots with speed. Many of his 30- and 40-yard deep outs were right on the money. His poise, patience, accuracy and ability to find the open wide out were beyond impressive. He has big hands and had no problem gripping the ball in the cold of Wyoming. Part of the problem I saw was the lack of vertical speed from the Wyoming receivers, who could not run to Allen’s deep throws.

He was one of those prospects who was a joy to break down on film, but in the end I’m glad he returned to Wyoming for another season.

I thought Allen struggled down the home stretch, and the learning curve from being a one-year starter at Wyoming to an NFL first round pick would’ve been incredibly steep. Allen is losing his top three pass catchers from last season as well as Brian Hill, his top running back, and in my opinion that affords him a great opportunity.

So while some Jet fans hope their team “sucks for Sam,” I say don’t fret it-- the franchise would be just as well off by making Josh a Jet.

@DraftAna

Josh Allen needs to work on his consistency, but that is expected as this was his first year starting. That being said, I can absolutely see him going number 1 overall next year, ahead of Darnold and Rosen. His physical tools are elite! He is listed at 6'5", has one of the best arms I have ever seen and he is very mobile for his size. 

Nobody knows yet.  They all have a season to play. Regression and injuries could change the whole landscape. But we know this. It's a good class. Rosen, Darnold, Allen, Rudolph, Browning could all be 1st rounders if they declare. And I don't mean 1st rounders by default because of the position like this year. They all look like they have legit 1st round talent based on what I've seen from them. But getting the 1st pick in a class like that.....BIG.

10 hours ago, SenorGato said:

I have the suspicion that Watson is somehow massively underrated as a QB prospect. How many guys come out of college with that kind of resume as a passer? I'm thinking most of the good ones 

He's crap, the good QB class is next year (this is not at all a stupid thing that stupid people say every stupid year)

16 hours ago, section314 said:

Looking Ahead

Sam Darnold has already been anointed the No. 1 pick of the 2018 draft and the next franchise signal caller.

New York Jets fans are already starting a “Suck for Sam” campaign, hoping the team tanks in 2017 in order to have the chance of acquiring Darnold in a little more than a year. This represents a foolish strategy in my opinion.

But if Darnold is the prized pick of the 2018 NFL Draft, Wyoming quarterback Josh Allen is not far behind.

I listed Allen as a Week 12 Riser back last December and mentioned that while I graded the redshirt sophomore as a second-round choice, I “unflinchingly believe he offers first-round potential down the road.”

After breaking down the Wyoming film this weekend, I firmly believe Allen would’ve competed to be the first signal caller off the board had he entered next month’s draft.

The size, release, arm strength and athleticism to make plays with his legs or arm is a more complete package than any signal caller I presently grade for the 2017 draft.

Some of the passes Allen made were just jaw-dropping. He consistently delivered the ball accurately through the tight spots with speed. Many of his 30- and 40-yard deep outs were right on the money. His poise, patience, accuracy and ability to find the open wide out were beyond impressive. He has big hands and had no problem gripping the ball in the cold of Wyoming. Part of the problem I saw was the lack of vertical speed from the Wyoming receivers, who could not run to Allen’s deep throws.

He was one of those prospects who was a joy to break down on film, but in the end I’m glad he returned to Wyoming for another season.

I thought Allen struggled down the home stretch, and the learning curve from being a one-year starter at Wyoming to an NFL first round pick would’ve been incredibly steep. Allen is losing his top three pass catchers from last season as well as Brian Hill, his top running back, and in my opinion that affords him a great opportunity.

So while some Jet fans hope their team “sucks for Sam,” I say don’t fret it-- the franchise would be just as well off by making Josh a Jet.

@DraftAna

The tape on Allen is really impressive. Great pocket presence, mobile, keeps his eyes down field. 

The more the better, increases our chances if this is a 1983 or 2004 like draft.

And maybe just maybe if we are good for santa when we draft our Franchise QB in '18 then Hackenberg will turn all world like in 2004 when the Chargers drafted Rivers with the 4 giving up on Brees who that same season took ridiculous strides and turned into a FQ. What a problem to have.

Sent from my Moto Z using JetNation.com mobile app

3 hours ago, nicg4360 said:

And maybe just maybe if we are good for santa when we draft our Franchise QB in '18 then Hackenberg will turn all world like in 2004 when the Chargers drafted Rivers with the 4 giving up on Brees who that same season took ridiculous strides and turned into a FQ. What a problem to have.

This is why its important to play Hackeneberg this year and next even if we draft a 1st Round Quarterback. If Hack does better than expected, then he has trade value at least and can still start until new QB is ready.

And if he stinks, then we get a new QB. 

If he blows everyone away then great we got out man. He's gotta play the next two seasons though.

This is why its important to play Hackeneberg this year and next even if we draft a 1st Round Quarterback. If Hack does better than expected, then he has trade value at least and can still start until new QB is ready.
And if he stinks, then we get a new QB. 
If he blows everyone away then great we got out man. He's gotta play the next two seasons though.

I hope macagnan is smart enough to realize this and enforces Bowles to do so...I do like a qb in the later rounds being Nathan Peterman but with that said I do understand next year's draft much more promising with us probably having at worst the 3rd pick or higher. If Mac goes all in and plays petty/hack every game they should skip the draft a qb every year nonsense. But he has to play the young guys...No questions asked. I hope this was hammered in our new vet qb the day he signed

54 minutes ago, nicg4360 said:

I hope macagnan is smart enough to realize this and enforces Bowles to do so...I do like a qb in the later rounds being Nathan Peterman but with that said I do understand next year's draft much more promising with us probably having at worst the 3rd pick or higher. If Mac goes all in and plays petty/hack every game they should skip the draft a qb every year nonsense. But he has to play the young guys...No questions asked. I hope this was hammered in our new vet qb the day he signed

Maaaaybe I'm being too naive ans hopeful. But given the gutting of the roster, and the lack of action in free agency, I suspect that they get this. 

More importantly, Mac understands that its one thing to tank. Its quite another thing to tank (when you're not gonna win anyway) the year before a loaded qb draft.

Maaaaybe I'm being too naive ans hopeful. But given the gutting of the roster, and the lack of action in free agency, I suspect that they get this. 
More importantly, Mac understands that its one thing to tank. Its quite another thing to tank (when you're not gonna win anyway) the year before a loaded qb draft.

I have that feeling to. It appears that we don't necessarily have to tank but just play all the young guys...not many games are gonna be won with this youth movement. There is more than just a Sam Darnold in the draft who will be a fantastic option for the Jets as a qb ...I don't mind them losing but I would like to see effort and not a repeat of last year as no one cared.

32 minutes ago, nicg4360 said:

I have that feeling to. It appears that we don't necessarily have to tank but just play all the young guys...not many games are gonna be won with this youth movement. There is more than just a Sam Darnold in the draft who will be a fantastic option for the Jets as a qb ...I don't mind them losing but I would like to see effort and not a repeat of last year as no one cared.

Completey agree that there's more than just Darnold (even though he looked all world quality last year, who knows what this year will bring). 

Rosen, Allen, and Rudolph all look lke great prospects as well.

On ‎3‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 2:40 PM, Adoni Beast said:

Completey agree that there's more than just Darnold (even though he looked all world quality last year, who knows what this year will bring). 

Rosen, Allen, and Rudolph all look lke great prospects as well.

Based on everyones opinion the NY Jets WILL be in a great position to draft a QB next year. I just have this sneaky feeling we haven't seen the best of Deshaun Watson yet and he's gonna be a stud leader. Jets pass on him, he becomes a star, we pick Rosen & he bombs, I know pretty negative but we were all hoping we could be in position to draft Watson & he might be staring us in the face. I take him & if we go 4-12, I take the best QB next year too, lol. If we use the #1 pick in 2017 & 2018 and GET OUR MAN, its all worth it. Or are we all missing Gholston, Milliner & Pryor after he's cut,lol.

9 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Based on everyones opinion the NY Jets WILL be in a great position to draft a QB next year. I just have this sneaky feeling we haven't seen the best of Deshaun Watson yet and he's gonna be a stud leader. Jets pass on him, he becomes a star, we pick Rosen & he bombs, I know pretty negative but we were all hoping we could be in position to draft Watson & he might be staring us in the face. I take him & if we go 4-12, I take the best QB next year too, lol. If we use the #1 pick in 2017 & 2018 and GET OUR MAN, its all worth it. Or are we all missing Gholston, Milliner & Pryor after he's cut,lol.

I hear you man. We're all gun shy about high draft picks after the history this team has had. But, you just have to look at film and look at things without emotion or historical fear. Watson, could be good in a system tailor made for him, where all the pieces are perfect around him. But I see someone who struggles to make a lot of NFL throws. I see Vince Young.

The top 4/5 QB's for next year I see all have protoypical size, can make all the throws, with a combination of strength and accuracy. Some of these guys might fall to mid round picks by the end of next season who knows. 

But for once, when there are good prospects coming out, we have a chance to finally get our true franchise quarterback. Our franchise needs a stud behind center once and for all. We almost had it with Chad but he got beat up, but took an average roster and kept them competitive until he fell apart. The time is now (or err...next year).

3 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

I hear you man. We're all gun shy about high draft picks after the history this team has had. But, you just have to look at film and look at things without emotion or historical fear. Watson, could be good in a system tailor made for him, where all the pieces are perfect around him. But I see someone who struggles to make a lot of NFL throws. I see Vince Young.

The top 4/5 QB's for next year I see all have protoypical size, can make all the throws, with a combination of strength and accuracy. Some of these guys might fall to mid round picks by the end of next season who knows. 

But for once, when there are good prospects coming out, we have a chance to finally get our true franchise quarterback. Our franchise needs a stud behind center once and for all. We almost had it with Chad but he got beat up, but took an average roster and kept them competitive until he fell apart. The time is now (or err...next year).

Everyone forgets 41-0 vs Indy with a healthy Chad vs Manning. OMG, Chads downfall started in that stupid preseason game vs the Giants and that freaky fall where he fell awkwardly. It was all downhill from there. There are a lot of people that hate Chad, I was not one of them, he was a class act.

1 minute ago, Jetster said:

Everyone forgets 41-0 vs Indy with a healthy Chad vs Manning. OMG, Chads downfall started in that stupid preseason game vs the Giants and that freaky fall where he fell awkwardly. It was all downhill from there. There are a lot of people that hate Chad, I was not one of them, he was a class act.

I'm a big Chad fan. He never had a rocket, but his arm good enough pre-injuries. He would have been in his prime by the time Rex rolled along with his 09/10 defense. Who knows if we had a healthy Chad instead of Sanchez what could have been.

2 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

I'm a big Chad fan. He never had a rocket, but his arm good enough pre-injuries. He would have been in his prime by the time Rex rolled along with his 09/10 defense. Who knows if we had a healthy Chad instead of Sanchez what could have been.

I wonder which HC had the highest rated defense during his tenure for an individual season, Herm or Rex .

16 hours ago, Tinstar said:

I wonder which HC had the highest rated defense during his tenure for an individual season, Herm or Rex .

Stats wise, id guess Rex. Also, his d those 2 years definitely had bigger impact plays than Herm's ever did. 

Chad in his prime would have been the absolute perfect qb for a rex ryan team.

1 hour ago, Adoni Beast said:

Stats wise, id guess Rex. Also, his d those 2 years definitely had bigger impact plays than Herm's ever did. 

Chad in his prime would have been the absolute perfect qb for a rex ryan team.

The problem with this statement is Pennington never had a prime . After that 1st year, he was either coming back from an injury or beginning rehab due to an injury . 

2 hours ago, Tinstar said:

The problem with this statement is Pennington never had a prime . After that 1st year, he was either coming back from an injury or beginning rehab due to an injury . 

I know. His "prime" was my hypothetical from my original post about Chad, and how we always almost have something but injuries and bad luck take over. 

Archived