Jets' addition of Josh McCown bodes well for young quarterbacks

Gas2No99

Jets' addition of Josh McCown bodes well for young quarterbacks

i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2017%2F0320%2Fr192296_1

There was no word from the Jets on Josh McCown's projected role, but you have to believe his experience makes him the favorite to start on opening day. Frank Jansky/Icon Sportswire

• cimini_rich_m.jpg&w=160&h=160&scale=crop
    GayLord AssHȪle - ESPN Staff Writer

The New York Jets finally addressed the gaping hole in their quarterback depth chart, signing journeyman Josh McCown to a free-agent contract on Monday. After months of speculation about candidates, including everyone from Jay Cutler to Tony Romo to Chad Pennington (kidding), they settled for a 37-year-old who has lost 20 of his last 22 starts.

Terms: It's a one-year, $6 million contract, fully guaranteed. McCown reportedly can earn an additional $7 million in incentives, but the incentives don't count against the salary cap.

ESPN 150 ranking: 149

Grade -- C: Say hello to the Poor Man's Ryan Fitzpatrick, except three years older. McCown is a smart, marginally talented passer capable of throwing for 300 yards one week (he did so against the Jets in 2016) and stinking the next. He won't win a lot of games, but he can be a bridge quarterback, buying time for the Jets to develop Christian Hackenbergand Bryce Petty -- or a 2017 draft pick. Thing is, bridges come in all different sizes. McCown isn't the Verrazano-Narrows, that's for sure.

What it means: There was no official word on McCown's projected role. It may be advertised as an open competition, but you have to believe his experience makes him the favorite to start on opening day. More than anything, this confirms that the Jets are thinking about 2018 and beyond. No disrespect to McCown, known as a terrific teammate and all-around good guy, but no team that fancies itself as a contender would sign a quarterback with a career record of 18-42 for a potential starting job. They wanted a cheap, one-year rental, and McCown fits the bill. Cutler would've given them a chance to win a couple of more games, but the Jets placed a premium on cost and intangibles. McCown will be a good leader and a mentor to the kid QBs as they attempt to navigate a transition that will be fraught with growing pains.

What's the risk: If McCown emerges as the starter, he probably won't last long. In 14 years, he has started more than eight games in a season only three times. He broke both collarbones and some ribs the last two seasons with the Cleveland Browns. The Jets know this, of course. This means they're comfortable with the prospect of putting Hackenberg or Petty into the lineup at some point. McCown is only a 59 percent career passer, and his touchdown-interception ratio over the last three seasons is 29-24. In that span, he ranks 33rd out of 33 qualifying quarterbacks in Total QBR -- 44.5. He has played on only two winning teams in 14 years, which means he's accustomed to adversity. In that sense, he'll be perfect for the 2017 Jets.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply
52 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

So, we all know how @JiF already feels, but c'mon now . . . who's more of a "Face of the Franchise QB?"

Exhibit A: Josh McCown

maxresdefault.jpg

OR

Exhibit B: Christian Hackenberg

christian-hackenberg-b05d0315149162a8.jp

Tough choice, eh?

Exhibit C: Sam Darnold

04220935-B260-4634-9E1D-8608B46F8EDC-6300-0000043409112619.jpeg

I don't mind this signing, and in general I agree on the direction the Jets are going (finally).  This should have taken place in 2015, where we could have traded pieces like Mangold for real picks.  But whatever, only the most deluded fan could have thought we would be good next year.  We had too few good young players, and too much salary tied up, a bad locker room culture and too many holes to fill.  The right call is accepting pain now to have some sanity for the future.

i suspect Woody finally accepted reality, was like f it, im going away for a few years, let's be bad until I get back.

now it's all about the draft!

8 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

Going out on a shaky limb and saying right now, this moment that this Jet team presently is better than the team that finished the 2016 season. Yes, and it can only get better with the draft

This is not a 5 win team

1 hour ago, Gas2No99 said:

There was no official word on McCown's projected role. It may be advertised as an open competition, but you have to believe his experience makes him the favorite to start on opening day.

I'm confused. Several of JN's leading logicians assured me that McCown was brought here purely as a backup and mentor.

8 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

i may be overthinking it but i think this means the jets think Hack can play. If they didnt theyd sign someone like Cutler instead of Mccown.

Or they think Hackenberg is a lost cause and they know McCown can keep the team just competitive enough to stave off a veteran revolt until they find a young guy who can actually play.

5 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

I'm confused. Several of JN's leading logicians assured me that McCown was brought here purely as a backup and mentor.

Jokes on you. You are citing your confusion based on believing the tripe CImini writes as fact rather than his typical pessimistic conjecture. And a fool believes assurances given over the internet. 

Back to your hole you latest?cb=20120625171818

5 minutes ago, thadude said:

Another day another stupid article by Cimini

And yet you see how it easily "confuses" simple folks 'round these parts. . . . :rolleyes:

4 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

And a fool believes assurances given over the internet. 

Like this one?

3 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

ANSWER:

McCown for $6M is a CHEAP #3 QB 15 year VET INSURANCE POLICY IN CASE Petty and Hack either TOTALLY SUCK and can't be #1 OR Petty and Hack get DESTROYED behind the OLine and SOMEONE needs to know how to play Pro QB; for $6M NOT TOO SHABBY when going rate for a QB is $15M+.

If they all suck, which some fans want for THE DARNOLD TANK, then the Jets have a VERY GOOD SHOT at a Franchise QB in 2018.

WIN WIN SITUATION.

Jets are SPENDING ONLY $7.26M TOTAL for QB SALARY in 2017. DEAL WITH IT.

29 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

If you were to ask five dentists, you're bound to find one that doesn't recommend sugarless gum for their patients who chew gum. But then they probably wouldn't admit it on the internet.

When you use two draft picks on QB's you sure has heck better stay committed to developing them into starters.  Bringing in Glennon, Cutler, Kaepernick was just waiving a white flag that things are broken here.  I, for one, am glad we went in this direction.  It at least shows there is a plan in place.  That plan may be severely flawed, but we will all find that out together this season.

8 hours ago, thadude said:

This is not a 5 win team

When the 2016 season schedule came out, how many games did you predict the Jets would win  ?  This is presently a better team, hungrier, younger, faster and  with very few assured starters . Those of you sitting around waiting for a top 3 draft  pick next year are in for a rude awakening .

Forecasting how the Jets' QB situation will unfold, with a possible addition

• cimini_rich_m.jpg&w=160&h=160&scale=crop
    Dicklick Cimini - DBatesman's GoTo-Footbal guru  & ESPN Staff Writer

The New York Jets' meandering quarterback search came to an end Monday evening, with the news that Josh McCown had signed a one-year, $6 million contract. Now the question on everybody's mind is, what does it mean for the big picture?

Coach Todd Bowles won't be available for comment until next week's NFL owners meetings in Phoenix, but here are a few thoughts on how I see things playing out:

i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2016%2F1228%2Fr166751_1 Just because the Jets signed veteran Josh McCown doesn't mean Christian Hackenberg won't see some time at QB in 2017. AP Photo/Bill Kostroun

1. McCown will be the opening-day starter (by default): Bowles may paint it as an open competition, but logic dictates that McCown will emerge from the preseason as the No. 1 quarterback. Despite his recent struggles in Cleveland and Tampa Bay, he's too seasoned and too smart to begin the season behind a couple of neophytes, Christian Hackenberg and Bryce Petty. They're all learning a new system, but McCown can draw on 14 years of experience. He also has an ally in new quarterbacks coach Jeremy Bates; they were together in 2012 in Chicago.

2. Hackenberg will take over sooner than later: I'll put the over-under line on McCown starts at four. He's old (38 in July) and injury prone, and he hasn't been a productive starter since 2013 with the Bears -- his only successful run as a No. 1 quarterback. If McCown is a bridge quarterback, it'll be a short bridge. The Jets know this, and that's why they're paying him like a low-end starter/high-end backup -- a $6 million guarantee. He will earn an additional $125,000 for each start, which could bring him up to $8 million. By opting for an inexpensive, one-year rental, the Jets have set it up for Hackenberg. As a rookie, he had no game experience and he didn't get much quality practice time, but they need to find out about him; that's what 2017 is all about.

3. Don't be surprised if they draft a quarterback: It's not a particularly strong draft class, but general manager Mike Maccagnan subscribes to the Ron Wolf philosophy: Draft one every year, if possible. It would be a bold move to pick one at No. 6 overall, but the Jets are very intrigued by North Carolina's Mitch Trubisky, widely regarded as the top QB prospect. They will be present Tuesday at his pro day and could return to Chapel Hill, North Carolina for a private workout. This is something to watch.

4. Petty could be in trouble: His roster spot will be in jeopardy if the Jets draft a quarterback. They kept four quarterbacks last season, but that didn't work out too well. Despite his experience last season, Petty is behind Hackenberg in the big-picture pecking order. He's also recovering from surgery on his left shoulder, which could keep him out for part of the offseason program.

Even $hitmini CHANGED his tune and, unlike others here, UNDERSTANDS and HAS ACCEPTED McCown's role here as non-consequential #3 tackling dummy and part of the Hackenberg experiment of 2017.

7 hours ago, SickJetFan said:

well that is just preposterous McCown would never agree to that

THAT is worth $6 million? Shades of theTebow signing; what's the point? Entirely defensible to run Hackenberg and Petty out there to see what they have; and if it doesn't work, suck badly enough to be in #1 slot for Darnold. And entirely defensible to pick Watson and make him the future. You could have picked up a warm body #3(may be even McCown) at a lot less after the draft,. And if you take Watson, then this is idiocy; they'll be cutting McCown and eff up their cap in the process. This team is gonna suck, why overpay,and why clog your QB position with an overpaid old piece of dead wood? 

Basically effs up picking Watson for reasons known only to themselves, puts them in position to win 5-6 games and then really screw themselves,  the pooch and out of Darnold.This is another example of this franchise half assing it to go along with almost a half century of putting bandaids on sucking chest wounds management. 

Woody Johnson, or should I say, AMBASSADOR JOHNSON, could be the worst strategic thinker ever. Johnson puts ASS in AMBASSADOR. 

22 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

When the 2016 season schedule came out, how many games did you predict the Jets would win  ?  This is presently a better team, hungrier, younger, faster and  with very few assured starters . Those of you sitting around waiting for a top 3 draft  pick next year are in for a rude awakening .

How are they gonna score more than 10 points a game? 

I'm not averse to this signing ... essentially what I see the organisation as doing is setting the bar for Petty / Hack as being "this is the guy you have to win the job from". McCown sets that bar a bit lower than say Cutler, who for all his issues is still good at chucking the football.

And hopefully it's not a case of outplaying McCown ... if they're neck and neck, or even just "close enough", you give the guy with upside his chance.

And if neither can outplay McCown ... you draft again in 2018. Maybe hang onto Hack as a potential #2 / late bloomer, but Petty would be gone.

11 minutes ago, Bugg said:

THAT is worth $6 million? Shades of theTebow signing; what's the point? Entirely defensible to run Hackenberg and Petty out there to see what they have; and if it doesn't work, suck badly enough to be in #1 slot for Darnold. And entirely defensible to pick Watson and make him the future. You could have picked up a warm body #3(may be even McCown) at a lot less after the draft,. And if you take Watson, then this is idiocy; they'll be cutting McCown and eff up their cap in the process. This team is gonna suck, why overpay,and why clog your QB position with an overpaid old piece of dead wood? 

Basically effs up picking Watson for reasons known only to themselves, puts them in position to win 5-6 games and then really screw themselves,  the pooch and out of Darnold.This is another example of this franchise half assing it to go along with almost a half century of putting bandaids on sucking chest wounds management. 

Woody Johnson, or should I say, AMBASSADOR JOHNSON, could be the worst strategic thinker ever. Johnson puts ASS in AMBASSADOR. 

Woody is an ASS but you are worried about his money....ironic dont ya think?

Archived