Jets' addition of Josh McCown bodes well for young quarterbacks

Gas2No99

One other things; this whole old QB mentoring young ones is sheet on a shingle.It doesn't happen. And what genius ins McCown going to impart anyway-anyone?  In fact, more often either the new guy gets it or he doesn't. A QB by nature is going to be a headstrong egomaniac who wants to be #1. And in a few cases -Montana/Young, Favre/Rodgers-there was even something nasty. 

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't tell from this move if the FO is higher on Hackenberg than they have appeared to be in the past, or they just do not know what they are doing.  I say that because I cannot believe they are planning on tanking the season.

I suppose they still might take a Qb with a high pick.  Can't rule it out at this point.  But if they don't, and this is the Qb rotation, well, it could get very ugly fast.

Whatever.  We knew this was coming since Todd and Mac thought it was wise to tell the whole world they'd be pursuing a veteran QB.  The only issue I have with it and I've already known this because Mac and Todd thought it was wise to tell the whole world they're not interested in any of the QB's in this draft but this move for me means they're clearly not going QB at #6 and that's a shame. 

McCown is better than some of you think he is. You are not tanking the season by signing him to a one year deal. He is capable of being a competent Qb and better than just a game manager. I think the moves we're making are going to improve our team. I know we were 5-11 last year but I could see us gaining at least 3 wins maybe. One key move would involve David Harris. Whether or not they bring him back. Mac already cut two major players in Revis and Mangold. You can build a team with good players you don't have to have superstars. Again my only problem with McCown is his age and recent injury history. IMO he'll be our starter but probably will not last the season. 

I wanted Hack drafted and said so before the draft so I will be happy if and when he starts and Petty gets to continue to compete. 

I just am of the opinion that you get the best QB for your team not the most functional.  I wanted an upgrade at the starting QB position not a downgrade. And there is no debate here McCown is a downgrade.  

On the other hand the good things I do like about McCown is that he is a good person, team leader and someone people respect which means he won't be tearing down the team from within which was the risk say with a Cutler acquisition.

I was hoping for more though...

IMO the QB position is just to important of a position in todays NFL to have a hold the fort type under center because his play adversely impacts the development of all of your skill players and even the defense. 

But we will see, I for one really hope and pray that MAC is right. 

5 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Watching folks try and convince themselves that McCown is here to be a good soldier #3 is pretty funny. 

It's funnier that posters here think McCown is a waste of a roster spot instead emergency insurance. Those who SAW 2005, 2007, & 2012  KNOW how painfully bad it is to watch amateur QBs play in an NFL game.  

4 minutes ago, jetrider said:

McCown is the auto-default starter because of Bowles' inability to develop a young QB

Just exactly what is the Job of the OC and the QBs coach ?  Todd Bowles is the HC of the Jets whether you guys like it or not and ultimately he will be judge on how this team does, but it's not his job to develop  any QB .

11 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

It's funnier that posters here think McCown is a waste of a roster spot instead emergency insurance. Those who SAW 2005, 2007, & 2012  KNOW how painfully bad it is to watch amateur QBs play in an NFL game.  

Because what matters most is pleasing the punters by going 5-11 instead of 4-12.

You know, rather than getting a full and unquestionable review of the young drafted QB's we have and if they have a future.

Simple question:  what does McCown bring that helps the Jets towards winning a championship?

I would say "absolutely nothing".

So remind me, whats the point again?  Play Hack and Petty and evaluate them in live-fire time.  If they suck, dump them.  If they don't suck, you can build around them.

Playing McCown, at all, hurts that process and only serves to make 2018 as uncertain at QB as 2017 will be.

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Because what matters most is pleasing the punters by going 5-11 instead of 4-12.

You know, rather than getting a full and unquestionable review of the young drafted QB's we have and if they have a future.

Simple question:  what does McCown bring that helps the Jets towards winning a championship?

So remind me, whats the point again?  Play Hack and Petty and evaluate them in live-fire time.  If they suck, dump them.  If they don't suck, you can build around them.

Playing McCown, at all, hurts that process and only serves to make 2018 as uncertain at QB as 2017 will be.

UGH?!?!?!?!? :rolleyes:

Really, have you NOT understood BY NOW how he is beneficial in 2017? One last recap and THE ANSWER YOU SEEK IS IN RED. It's sufficient for me as to his signing, perhaps not for you and others of your ilk. 

12 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

STOP WASTING your time with these DOLTS that are trolling you. They either don't WANT TO GET IT or are just too STUPID to process what has been said a hundred times over. 

ANSWER:

McCown for $6M is a CHEAP #3 QB 15 year VET INSURANCE POLICY IN CASE Petty and Hack either TOTALLY SUCK and can't be #1 OR Petty and Hack get DESTROYED behind the OLine and SOMEONE needs to know how to play Pro QB; for $6M NOT TOO SHABBY when going rate for a QB is $15M+.

If they all suck, which some fans want for THE DARNOLD TANK, then the Jets have a VERY GOOD SHOT at a Franchise QB in 2018.

WIN WIN SITUATION.

Jets are SPENDING ONLY $7.26M TOTAL for QB SALARY in 2017. DEAL WITH IT.

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

If all three of the QBs presently on our roster are still there on opening day and McCown is the starter I will have to agree with you .  It will also mean that Hack is a waste of time and that it was a mistake to pass on either Watson or Trubisky if either was there at 6 .

This notion that Hackenberg somehow wont be ready until a few weeks into the season is a joke. He had a friggin year to sit and "learn" and now he has to go out on the field and prove he's worthy of being a starting QB.  McCown should only get to play AFTER both Hackenberg and Petty completely sh*t the bed.

Also, just a point, every media guy on radio or TV I've heard comment has basically said McCown will be the starter.

Look, if McCown was a #3 only, with NO chance to play outside total disaster, fine.  

Not good, because I'd rather have another prospect there than a 37 year old fragile career loser.  But fine.

But if we start McCown, or play him in any material amount, it literally hurts the future of this franchise.

I can't imagine there are fans who can't see that.

Im thinking this. 

Macc isn't going to pass on Watson or Trubisky at 6 maybe he already knows Hackenberg isn't going to be that guy or Hackenberg is that guy and McCown is their for veteran leadership that Fitzpatrick didnt give all he wanted to do was start. 

Either way Macc and Bowles jobs are on the line. 

Sit back relax and let it all play out. 

5 minutes ago, Freemanm said:

Or it means they are planning to go QB at #6, and always were...

Remember when that report came out that the Jets were high on Trubisky ? I wondered why anyone would leak such a thing that early especially with a franchise where news is all but impossible to attain . Trouble is, most people don't believe that the jets are going to go that way now, because of value and the way the roster appears . Get the news out early, allow people to jump on it and dismiss it, then sit back and reap the rewards .

I don't believe Bryce Petty has any future with the Jets and the Jets can't just put all their eggs in the Hackenberg basket or believe that things are going to be so bad that it will allow them the chance to keep their jobs and have the opportunity at Darnold, Rosen or Allen ..  

McCown is a bridge I think between Hackenberg and whoever we take in this draft .  I then see Hackenberg as the Bridge between who we take this draft and who we take in 2018 .

Unless he Hacks takes command of the team, then 2018 can become our draft for trading .

This should be the Jets only plan .  

2 hours ago, Bugg said:

THAT is worth $6 million? Shades of theTebow signing; what's the point? Entirely defensible to run Hackenberg and Petty out there to see what they have; and if it doesn't work, suck badly enough to be in #1 slot for Darnold. And entirely defensible to pick Watson and make him the future. You could have picked up a warm body #3(may be even McCown) at a lot less after the draft,. And if you take Watson, then this is idiocy; they'll be cutting McCown and eff up their cap in the process. This team is gonna suck, why overpay,and why clog your QB position with an overpaid old piece of dead wood? 

Basically effs up picking Watson for reasons known only to themselves, puts them in position to win 5-6 games and then really screw themselves,  the pooch and out of Darnold.This is another example of this franchise half assing it to go along with almost a half century of putting bandaids on sucking chest wounds management. 

Woody Johnson, or should I say, AMBASSADOR JOHNSON, could be the worst strategic thinker ever. Johnson puts ASS in AMBASSADOR. 

This move suggests to me that they don't like Watson. Don't see why you think it puts the team in position to get any more wins this year, though. The last two teams McCown started for got the first pick in the following year's draft. I think he's a $6M insurance/buffer for Hackenberg. 

1 hour ago, ChuckkieB said:

This notion that Hackenberg somehow wont be ready until a few weeks into the season is a joke. He had a friggin year to sit and "learn" and now he has to go out on the field and prove he's worthy of being a starting QB.  McCown should only get to play AFTER both Hackenberg and Petty completely sh*t the bed.

He is learning a new offense in his second year, so a lot of what he learned last year can be thrown out. They're very deliberately bringing him along very slowly. Having seen both Geno and Sanchez thrown into the fire way too early and never recovering, I don't mind an alternative approach this time. I'd also prefer McCown take the brunt of abuse behind an OL that might need some time to gel. 

And it's not that I love these ideas at all (outside of passing on the top QBs this year), but I can rationalize the move. Now if McCown somehow starts more than 4 or 6 games, all rationalization on my part will be gone. 

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Also, just a point, every media guy on radio or TV I've heard comment has basically said McCown will be the starter.

Look, if McCown was a #3 only, with NO chance to play outside total disaster, fine.  

Not good, because I'd rather have another prospect there than a 37 year old fragile career loser.  But fine.

But if we start McCown, or play him in any material amount, it literally hurts the future of this franchise.

I can't imagine there are fans who can't see that.

I'd be shocked if Bowles doesn't anoint McCown his starter the next time he has a microphone in his face. 

10 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Why do so many people think Hackenberg is better than Petty?  Is it blind faith or draft position?  

Hack can make Pre-Snap reads of the defense while Petty - coming out of Baylor's sandlot playbook - improved in playing Madden thanks to his rookie year of learning about opposing defense and keys. 

Hack is more "Pro-Ready" than Petty is in the MENTAL aspect of the game.

11 hours ago, dbatesman said:

I'm confused. Several of JN's leading logicians assured me that McCown was brought here purely as a backup and mentor.

That's what he is right now. If he does win the starters job, then the book is closed on Petty and Hackenberg and we can move on.

Whatever role he is, it gives us a verdict on the young QBs.

All I know is that he has not been anointed the starter upon signing by the organization. That would have bothered me.

12 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

Hack can make Pre-Snap reads of the defense while Petty - coming out of Baylor's sandlot playbook - improved in playing Madden thanks to his rookie year of learning about opposing defense and keys. 

Hack is more "Pro-Ready" than Petty is in the MENTAL aspect of the game.

More pro ready = not active on game day and 3 less starts?  

6 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

That's what he is right now. If he does win the starters job, then the book is closed on Petty and Hackenberg and we can move on.

Whatever role he is, it gives us a verdict on the young QBs.

All I know is that he has not been anointed the starter upon signing by the organization. That would have bothered me.

If McCown beats out Petty and Hack this would be an epic failure for Mike Maccagnan.

2018 Macc will be president of some bank in Montana. 

3 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

See the thinking by the reporters and some of the fans is that neither Hackenberg nor Petty will improve enough to beat McCown in a QB competition.

They've already concluded it, which is dumb, 

What if that's actually what happens

Just now, dbatesman said:

What if that's actually what happens

It might happen. But it's foolish to come to that conclusion NOW. Don't declare it now. Wait til training camp to make that conclusion.

That's a problem with this media and part of this fanbase. 1 good game and "WE'RE GOING TO THE SUPER BOWL!"

They jump way too easily.

Archived