Jets' addition of Josh McCown bodes well for young quarterbacks

Gas2No99

2 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

All I know is that McCown was not signed to be named the starter immediately.

Most fans and news outlets assume he will be. Considering the guy has not been successful in the last few years, I don't think it's a stretch to say that Petty or Hackenberg can improve enough to beat him in a QB competition.

That is the position we are in right now.

Oh really?  So you're saying that when week 1 hits, Josh McCown wont be behind center? 

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

All I know is that McCown was not signed to be named the starter immediately.

Most fans and news outlets assume he will be. Considering the guy has not been successful in the last few years, I don't think it's a stretch to say that Petty or Hackenberg can improve enough to beat him in a QB competition.

That is the position we are in right now.

Hottest of the hot takes. So hot. So, so hot.

Just now, UnitedWhofans said:

No, what I meant was that as soon as McCown signed, he was not declared the starter immediately

Like, no public statement?  So is statement more of like a tip of the hat to Bowles for learning his lesson or are you in denial that McCown will be the Jets starter? 

Just now, JiF said:

Like, no public statement?  So is statement more of like a tip of the hat to Bowles for learning his lesson or are you in denial that McCown will be the Jets starter? 

If McCown does become the Jets starter, it will say a lot about Petty and HAckenberg, won't it? 

Just now, JiF said:

If he didn't derp it on twitter, then he can't re-derp it here, to derp it to the herps that derp.

If McCown does become the Jets starter, it will say a lot about Petty and HAckenberg, won't it? 

Josh MCown will be the starter and it says nothing about Petty and Hack that we dont already know.

Did you miss the 2016 season? 

Moments like this, where you oh-so-briefly come within a hair's breadth of actual insight before running screaming in the opposite direction, are really the most rewarding of all.

1 minute ago, UnitedWhofans said:

SO you're saying that QBs can't improve between seasons? ANd possibly beat out guys who have gone 2-20 as a starter?

It's like you closed your eyes and put your fingers in your ears during the entire Fitzpatrick fiasco.

Just now, JiF said:

It's like you closed your eyes and put your fingers in your ears during the entire Fitzpatrick fiasco.

What the fact that two backups got injured which forced him to start?

And that the Jets did what the Green Bay Packers did with Aaron Rodgers and the Rams did with Goff before succumbing to pressure?

What the fact that two backups got injured which forced him to start?

And that the Jets did what the Green Bay Packers did with Aaron Rodgers and the Rams did with Goff before succumbing to pressure?

giphy.gif

27 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

In a vacuum, it's fine. In a vacuum, trading a 4th-round pick for a starting left tackle is fine, too. Nothing happens in a vacuum. Signing McCown is the purest evidence yet that this regime is utterly clueless when it comes to QBs.

While I generally agree that the regime hasn't shown any positive progress in the QB position, I think not making any kind of meaningful upgrade was the best option this offseason.  Clueless would have been signing Cutler.  This hopefully points to Hack/Petty having a real shot, and positioning ourselves for Darnold/Rosen.  Maybe that's not the thinking... But, it's what I'd do if I were hired this offseason.

Just now, gEYno said:

While I generally agree that the regime hasn't shown any positive progress in the QB position, I think not making any kind of meaningful upgrade was the best option this offseason.  Clueless would have been signing Cutler.  This hopefully points to Hack/Petty having a real shot, and positioning ourselves for Darnold/Rosen.  Maybe that's not the thinking... But, it's what I'd do if I were hired this offseason.

You've watched Todd Bowles coach for 2 full seasons and you really believe that?

1 minute ago, gEYno said:

I get the thinking, but if McCown is such a non-factor, why sign him at all? Why not let Petty and Hackenberg (or whoever we draft) go out and be sh*tty for 10% of the price?

Just now, JiF said:

You've watched Todd Bowles coach for 2 full seasons and you really believe that?

Yes.  Because I don't think it's Bowles that's holding either of them back.  I think it's that they suck that's holding them back.

Just now, dbatesman said:

I get the thinking, but if McCown is such a non-factor, why sign him at all? Why not let Petty and Hackenberg (or whoever we draft) go out and be sh*tty for 10% of the price?

Thats easy because our head coach is too dumb to mentor a young rookie QB so insert Josh McCown. 

BTW, Jif, I agree that Fitzpatrick should have been pulled earlier from his starting job. But again, to me, each season is virtually independent. Using last year to judge this year is not a good idea in terms of coaching decisions. BEcause people learn and evolve. Conditions change.

BTW, Jif, I agree that Fitzpatrick should have been pulled earlier from his starting job. But again, to me, each season is virtually independent. Using last year to judge this year is not a good idea in terms of coaching decisions. BEcause people learn and evolve.

Pulled??????  He should have been cut after the KC game. 

1 minute ago, UnitedWhofans said:

BTW, Jif, I agree that Fitzpatrick should have been pulled earlier from his starting job. But again, to me, each season is virtually independent. Using last year to judge this year is not a good idea in terms of coaching decisions. BEcause people learn and evolve.

My science box said the same thing. You can't judge people by what they've done, you judge them by what they might do in the future

2 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

This.

Just now, gEYno said:

Yes.  Because I don't think it's Bowles that's holding either of them back.  I think it's that they suck that's holding them back.

The problem is, there should be anyone holding him back and now, there is.  Bowles is 100% trying to win as many games as he can.  I know it's fun for fans to think we're tanking but I assure you, they're not.  Todd will trot Josh McCown out there no different than he did with Fitz until he literally is being looked at like he's grown another head.

Just now, JiF said:

This.

The problem is, there should be anyone holding him back and now, there is.  Bowles is 100% trying to win as many games as he can.  I know it's fun for fans to think we're tanking but I assure you, they're not.  Todd will trot Josh McCown out there no different than he did with Fitz until he literally is being looked at like he's grown another head.

Thats great news!!!!!  Todd Bowles will get himself fired maybe even during the season. :D:D:D

Just now, JiF said:

This.

So why not just sign Cutler? If Bowles' job is in danger, Macc's job is in danger.

1 minute ago, dbatesman said:

Because while we can talk about it on message boards, and they can work towards a "tank," I think you need to have someone on the roster who can at least play the game should it get unreasonably bad.  That said, it may be unreasonably bad in preseason and training camp, and he may start.  But, I just don't think when you're collecting TV money and season ticket holder money, you can have absolutely nothing at the position all season.  We all can kind of agree it's what's happening, but you can't take fans money and time and go into 2017 saying "wait till next year."  In other words, optics.  I'd also say that there's somewhat of an obligation to the rest of the roster not to run out Petty/Hack 16 weeks in a row if they're completely incompetent.

Just now, joewilly12 said:

Both will be fired in 2017 

Macc will be a president of a small bank in Montana 

Bowles will be an auctioneer in Texas selling seafood fresh off the docks

BUt that brings back the question. If their jobs are in danger, why didn't they go after Cutler?

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

Maybe.  We'll see.  We'll get to read all the camp reports and watch the preseason games.  If either of those young guys shows they can play, and aren't started, then you're right.  But, if they both are awful, then, it's their own doing, not Bowles.

3 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

The planet you live on must be an exciting place.  But here on earth, we've got 2 seasons worth of watching Todd Bowles treat Vets like gold and it's not exclusive to the QB position.  It's cute you think blockheads with old school mentalities can change and maybe it happens on your planet.  Not so much on earth.

Archived