Pre-Draft Smokescreens -or- legit interest?

Integrity28

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

i would hope that mac/bowles do not lose their jobs simply because the 6 pick is used on a qb. granted they need to use sound judgement but they are being paid to improve the team and if they want a qb they should be free to take one.  and while this might pose an issue for the hack pick, again getting the opportunity to get a better player and excercising it is a good thing.

What i am saying is that they are already on thin ice. If they use the number 6 pick which should be spent on someone who is close to a sure thing you would hope to reach for a QB and that QB ends up looking bad the thin ice in which they are already on might cave in.

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

I wouldn't cry if we started the 2017 season with:

1. Hackenberg

2. McCown (only in emergency, otherwise #3)

3. Trubisky (or maybe Watson, although I like him less)

I prefer to keep Petty than McCown, but I'd be ok with the above.

This would be ideal. If they do draft a QB they better not punk out and carry 4 on the roster again, make a damn decision and cut one. 

3 hours ago, JiF said:

The disappointment around here when 1 of the following happens is going to be fun to watch:

The Jets win too many games and take themselves out of the Suck for Sam sweepstakes.

Sam, decides to return to college.

Sam does a Hack and sucks after his Freshman year.

The Jets pass on Sam.

Because lets be honest, we're not getting him.

As sad as it would be to successfully tank, go 2-14 and have him return to college nothing would be more comical than successfully tanking, then passing on him for Josh Rosen (or whoever) who turns into the Leaf to Darnold's Manning. That would be all timer.

I would be shocked if they draft a QB at all in this draft.  That would require carrying four QBs again meaning one wouldn't get ANY practice reps.

As much as everyone here hopes Hack can start this year, he was WAY behind Petty last preseason and then basically did nothing except scout team reps the rest of the year.

I can't imagine him making all kinds of progress off of OTAs and camp, enough to convince anyone he can start.  Not in that little time.

So based on this, the team is hoping Petty can start over McCown.  He's injury prone thus the need for McCown.  

Drafting someone this year requires giving up on one of the two young guys.  It also requires some kind of return from the rookie or Hack, of which I don't think Macc will put his career on the line yet.

ESPN's Rich Cimini reports "the Jets are very intrigued" by UNC QB Mitchell Trubisky.

The Jets will have a contingent at Trubisky's Pro Day on Tuesday. Despite signing Josh McCown to be their bridge starter and drafting Christian Hackenberg in the second round last season, there continues to be speculation the Jets will draft a quarterback. Taking Trubisky would require the No. 6 overall pick, however, meaning they would need to be more than intrigued by his talent to pull the trigger. The Browns are reportedly targeting Trubisky with the No. 12 overall pick.

2 hours ago, bealeb319 said:

What i am saying is that they are already on thin ice. If they use the number 6 pick which should be spent on someone who is close to a sure thing you would hope to reach for a QB and that QB ends up looking bad the thin ice in which they are already on might cave in.

i agree.  and they should be accountable for not getting a qb in 3 tries.  but let's get there first before throwing them out with the trash.

1 hour ago, CaliforniaJet said:

This would be ideal. If they do draft a QB they better not punk out and carry 4 on the roster again, make a damn decision and cut one. 

You only need 2 on the roster. 3rd guy typically gets ZERO reps. And a guy on the PS can always be your scout team QB.

If they think Petty is a waste.....cut him and go w. McCown and Hack. If Hack gets injured, you can sign another nobody....it won't matter.

If Hack sucks...keep playing him. If Hack is killing it....keep playing him.

5 hours ago, The Crusher said:

I see us missing  him by one game if I'm being honest. If I were Sam and the Jets had the number one pick I would return to school  for another year. No. This kid is what Hack wishes he was when he dreams. Unfortunately he I still Hack when he wakes up. Jets pass on Sam? Impossible. They will never get the chance because he would have already announced he is returning to USC.  Until someone else gets him I'm gonna leave the light on for him. 

What are the odds of that happening twice? The Jets are not that bad an organization anymore. You're not getting any powerhouses drafting 1 overall. I know we have an inferiority complex but we have one of the biggest fan bases in sports, and a great QB couldn't find a better place to build a legacy. It's hard to remember but Namath did pretty well for himself. Imagine if Eli had won 2 SBs for the Jets how much more beloved he would be than where he is. 

3 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

What are the odds of that happening twice? The Jets are not that bad an organization anymore. You're not getting any powerhouses drafting 1 overall. I know we have an inferiority complex but we have one of the biggest fan bases in sports, and a great QB couldn't find a better place to build a legacy. It's hard to remember but Namath did pretty well for himself. Imagine if Eli had won 2 SBs for the Jets how much more beloved he would be than where he is. 

I agree but most of my post was a little on the sarcastic side. But Im with you man. Love to have our very own blue chip QB.

Jets schedule private workout with top QB prospect Mitchell Trubisky

• cimini_rich_m.jpg&w=160&h=160&scale=crop
    Dick Sweezy- ESPN Staff Writer

One day after signing free-agent quarterback Josh McCown, the New York Jets were back on the quarterback trail. They were well-represented Tuesday at Mitchell Trubisky's pro day at North Carolina, another step in the evaluation process.

Because this is the silly season in the NFL, some will read too much into it. It doesn't mean they envision Trubisky as their quarterback of the future; it's just due diligence on the path to the draft. Truth be told, some teams believe these made-for-TV pro days are becoming less and less helpful, finding that private workouts are more beneficial. Perhaps that explains why general manager Mike Maccagnan and coach Todd Bowles weren't in Chapel Hill, North Carolina, to observe Trubisky.

i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2017%2F0321%2Fr192558_1

At his pro day, North Carolina's Mitchell Trubisky completed 54 of 63 passes, including four drops, per USA Today. AP Photo/Gerry Broome

But, as Trubisky mentioned to reporters after the workout, the Jets are among several teams that have scheduled private workouts. They're also expected to bring him to their facility for a pre-draft visit. He named the Cleveland BrownsSan Francisco 49ers and Kansas City Chiefs as other teams that will conduct private workouts.

As for his pro day, Trubisky completed 54 of 63 passes, including four drops, per USA Today. Watching on TV, hardly the ideal vantage point, he demonstrated quick feet and excellent footwork, especially on rollout-type throws. His throwing was solid, not spectacular. He displayed very good arm strength, especially on deep balls, but his ball placement was off the mark on a handful of short and intermediate throws.

But, again, don't read too much into a scripted workout with no pass rush and no defense. The tape matters most, and I can tell you the Jets are very intrigued by what they saw from Trubisky in his 13 starts last season. Enough to pick him sixth overall? I'd be surprised if that happens, but you never know.

A year ago, Maccagnan traveled to Penn State and fell in love with Christian Hackenberg in a private workout, eventually picking him in the second round. Despite a non-descript rookie year, Hackenberg remains in the team's plans. They certainly won't bail on a second-round pick this soon, but there's a reasonably good chance they will draft a quarterback at some point. That wouldn't bode well for Bryce Petty.

Notre Dame's DeShone Kizer will have his pro day on Thursday. And, yes, the Jets will be there.

Little Side Jets Draft scouting news nugget:

laine_jenna_m.jpg&w=160&h=160&scale=crop

Jenna Laine ESPN Staff Writer 

Jaguars running backs coach Tyrone Wheatley and Jets running backs coach Stump Mitchell were at USF pro day today to watch Marlon Mack (pictured) up close and both were putting him through drill work on the field.

Photo of Marlon Mack      
  • 5'11"HEIGHT
  • 32"ARM LENGTH
  • 213LBS.WEIGHT
  • 9"HANDS

OVERVIEW

It was a major recruiting coup for USF to get the All-Florida star running back and safety to sign in Tampa. He hasn't let them down, becoming the school's all-time leading rusher and earning first-team All-American Athletic Conference nods in each of his three seasons with the Bulls. Mack led the AAC in rushing as a freshman (202-1,041, nine touchdowns) and sophomore (210-1,381, eight TDs). He finished fifth in the conference in 2016, but had only 174 carries for 1,187 yards and scored 15 times on the ground. Mack also had 63 catches for 485 yards and a score during his career while averaging over 100 rushing yards per game over his three seasons.

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS

Looks like he has ball bearings in his hips. Able to swivel in multiple directions. Can tilt and slalom around defenders on the second and third level and is able to string moves together. Has slippery feet and is hard to pin down when bouncing laterally. Runs with knee bend and his pad level is low at contact. Explosive burst carries him into his getaway gear. Able to run away from tacklers. Six of his fifteen touchdowns this year went for 43-plus yards. Always plays fast. Contain buster to the outside. Finds ways to slither out of tackles. Hands showed improvement as pass catcher.

WEAKNESSES

Runs with inconsistent power through contact. Will need to accelerate through contact on next level. Serial run bouncer. Too willing to make wild bounces to the furthest reaches of the perimeter if interior lanes are gummed up. Lacks a committed approach between the tackles. Feet start dancing if he doesn't see an early point of entry. On jet sweeps, he rarely looked to cut it downhill in space and defaulted to the wide track. Has a very poor fumble rate over this three years and has put the ball on the ground twelve times. Ducks head into traffic to finish rather than keeping eyes scanning.

NFL COMPARISON

Denard Robinson

BOTTOM LINE

Scat back with decent size and blazing getaway speed. Mack has plenty of wiggle to bounce from run lane to run lane and make tacklers miss, but he has a penchant for looking to break runs way outside when the interior becomes too trafficked and he won't be able to get away with that against NFL speed. Mack is a complementary runner who can hit big runs against defenses who have been worn down, but he needs to be matched with the right scheme in order to unlock his big-play potential.

DRAFT NUGGETS!!!!!!

14 hours ago, HighPitch said:

Guyz its just a reporters hunch. 

We need a qb in round 1 or 2 or mac is dead to me. Doesnt matter if they pan out or not. Its the logic

Better get a shovel then. 

I will eat some of the dirt if you see a QB drafted by Gang Green in the first two rounds....or any rounds for that matter, unless DeShaun Watson falls to us with our first pick in the 3rd round.

1 minute ago, CanadaSteve said:

Better get a shovel then. 

I will eat some of the dirt if you see a QB drafted by Gang Green in the first two rounds....or any rounds for that matter, unless DeShaun Watson falls to us with our first pick in the 3rd round.

Agree. I don't foresee - nor does the Magic 8Ball - the Jets taking a QB unless some RIDICULOUS VALUE, similar to what you stated, like Trubisky or even Watson falling to the 4th round.

I gander Mahomes drops to the 6th and Jets take him there.  :D

15 hours ago, prime21 said:

The Jets should be all over him today because they need to see if he could be the guy we have been waiting for all these years.  

I still think Mahomes has the intangibles that would make him a better prospect than Trubisky.  

Fixed 

So you guys are sold that hack, mccown or petty will develop into a solid starter? 

Thats why you wohldnt want to snag a watson, trub or mahones when u have perhaps a choice at any of them. 

Gotcha. 

Ooooooh you guys must be the one who absolutely feel that usc kid is already signed to the jets so youll bas all your plans on a qb that may not even declare

23 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

So you guys are sold that hack, mccown or petty will develop into a solid starter

Thats why you wohldnt want to snag a watson, trub or mahones when u have perhaps a choice at any of them. 

Gotcha. 

Ooooooh you guys must be the one who absolutely feel that usc kid is already signed to the jets so youll bas all your plans on a qb that may not even declare

You apparently have no reading comprehension skills.

NO ONE is stating that the current Jets QBs are any good, THAT'S THE POINT OF PLAYING THEM THIS YEAR TO FIND OUT and NOT REACHING @ #6 for a MEDIOCRE QB draft class in 2017 when 2018 - WHOEVER it may be - OFFERs BETTER QBs (PLURAL!) than this year's offering. 

If you are too dense to understand WHY the QBs you mentioned are not worth it in the Top 10, then YOU are part of the problem which creates the perception that Jets fans are completely brain dead - thanks for substantiating the NFL stereotype. :rolleyes:

41 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

You apparently have no reading comprehension skills.

NO ONE is stating that the current Jets QBs are any good, THAT'S THE POINT OF PLAYING THEM THIS YEAR TO FIND OUT and NOT REACHING @ #6 for a MEDIOCRE QB draft class in 2017 when 2018 - WHOEVER it may be - OFFERs BETTER QBs (PLURAL!) than this year's offering. 

If you are too dense to understand WHY the QBs you mentioned are not worth it in the Top 10, then YOU are part of the problem which creates the perception that Jets fans are completely brain dead - thanks for substantiating the NFL stereotype. :rolleyes:

Thanks capt obvious.

As if I really thought anyone thought our qb corps were good.

Its called playing devils advocate. google it chachie

But to follow up, its pretty obvious that all 3 will amount to nothing much. Mccown is Mccown. Petty had his shot. Hack, from what has been written, cant hit the ocean with a football. Ive never read more bad press from a qb prospect. Neither have you. Just admit it.

So since you are so sure that any qb picked up next year, because youre obviosly so smart, will blow the pants off the top 2017 prospects that are virtually in our hands right now, good luck. 

Its not like a wasted year is a big deal. Not of us have to worry about dying

4 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

Thanks capt obvious.

As if I really thought anyone thought our qb corps were good.

Its called playing devils advocate. google it chachie

But to follow up, its pretty obvious that all 3 will amount to nothing much. Mccown is Mccown. Petty had his shot. Hack, from what has been written, cant hit the ocean with a football. Ive never read more bad press from a qb prospect. Neither have you. Just admit it.

So since you are so sure that any qb picked up next year, because youre obviosly so smart, will blow the pants off the top 2017 prospects that are virtually in our hands right now, good luck. 

Its not like a wasted year is a big deal. Not of us have to worry about dying

THEN STATE that you're playing Devils advocate, because you don't and JUST keep coming across like a some illiiterarte reactive whining siren that cries for taking a QB @#6 in a $hit QB draft. 

You're welcome.

Hotels.com_Captain_Obvious.jpg

1 minute ago, Gas2No99 said:

THEN STATE you're playing Devils advocate, because you don't and JUST keep coming across like a some illiiterarte reactive whining siren. 

Im far from illiternate. I type fast and feel no need to correct typos ever, since this is all bs anyway and not that impotant. especially from my andriod and fat fingers.

Im the antiwarfish

I think this is a smokescreen. The organization seems to be rolling the dice on Hackenberg or Petty emerging as a legit QB in 2017. Drafting a QB at #6 is admitting a colossal mistake on last year's 2nd round pick, and I don't know that ANY GM would be willing to eat that kind of crow so quickly.  However, if Mac believes his job is on the line, he might have to bite the bullet and grab a top shelf QB if he thinks one is available.  I gotta say, I'm really looking forward to see how it plays out.

4 hours ago, HighPitch said:

Im far from illiternate. I type fast and feel no need to correct typos ever, since this is all bs anyway and not that impotant. especially from my andriod and fat fingers.

Im the antiwarfish

Don't dish the WARFISH!!!

3 hours ago, ChuckkieB said:

I think this is a smokescreen. The organization seems to be rolling the dice on Hackenberg or Petty emerging as a legit QB in 2017. Drafting a QB at #6 is admitting a colossal mistake on last year's 2nd round pick, and I don't know that ANY GM would be willing to eat that kind of crow so quickly.  However, if Mac believes his job is on the line, he might have to bite the bullet and grab a top shelf QB if he thinks one is available.  I gotta say, I'm really looking forward to see how it plays out.

It is a smokescreen because I doubt Trubisky is there, and if the Jets are so dice rolling they will not trade up for him.

But he may have to bite the bullet and take Trubisky if he is there (or trade with someone else who does).

Because he is willing to roll the dice, the Jets will not reach for Watson or Kizer at 6, but I don't think either of them get past 15.  

If Trubisky is not there at 6, a potential star contributor will be-Adams, Hooker, Howard, Davis, Williams (?).

I think Lattimore is too much of a Milliner risk.  Anyone who gets hurt running at the Combine is a red flag.

I worry about the Jets taking a RB at 6 when they have so much more to do.  That being said, Fournette is not getting past Carolina, and with LF Carolina could be going back to the SB.

Rich Cimini ESPN Staff Writer 

ESPN draft analyst Todd McShay believes it would be a mistake for the Jets to draft QB Mitchell Trubisky with the sixth pick. "Do you think the Jets, in that market, with their quarterback need, with their lack of supporting cast right now, is a good situation for Trubisky?" McShay said this morning on Mike & Mike. "To me, he needs to go to a team like the Los Angeles Chargers or Arizona Cardinals, where they have a veteran in place now. That can allow him to sit. Put him in the witness protection program. Give him a year or two to learn the game and study and be ready to take over down the line."

Archived