Geno, McCown or Daniels?

varjet

The good news is that the Jets appear to have their heads screwed on straight, are not overpaying for FAs, particularly a high priced QB option like a Cutler, Romo or Foles.

I thought the McCown signing had some merit and was consistent with that plan.

But then i see Geno sign with the Giants for $2mm.  When Macc got here, he was happy starting out with Geno as his starter and then picked up Fitz off the trash heap as a back up.

I guess Macc did not want Geno's immaturity back in the locker room, but McCown basically showed what maturity costs.  We should share this lesson with our kids.

I also then wondered whether Daniels was a better option.  My guess is he either was more money, or they thought he would threaten the younger QBs.

So for what he is McCown is expensive.  We shall see.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Fantasy Island said:

One can hope......I just want us to address the offense.   I'll take a trade down, OL at 15.  The definition of insanity is trying the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.  

No trading out of the #6 pick you draft this guy 

Image result for leonard fournette

It is a 100% total fallacy that the jets very liked Geno as a starter and that fitz was signed as a back up.

Fitz was coming off a broken leg and was not going to be ready early on so as all front offices do they tried to pump up geno by saying he was the starter.

They intended to have Ftiz as their #1 guy as soon as they signed him and unless he sh*t the bed in camp or geno was brilliant fitz was going to be the guy,

Even if geno started the year he would have had a tiny weeny leash before getting yanked.

Just now, Beerfish said:

It is a 100% total fallacy that the jets very liked Geno as a starter and that fitz was signed as a back up.

Fitz was coming off a broken leg and was not going to be ready early on so as all front offices do they tried to pump up geno by saying he was the starter.

They intended to have Ftiz as their #1 guy as soon as they signed him and unless he sh*t the bed in camp or geno was brilliant fitz was going to be the guy,

Even if geno started the year he would have had a tiny weeny leash before getting yanked.

Leash? 

The same leash Fitzpatrick had? 

LOL 

1 hour ago, varjet said:

The good news is that the Jets appear to have their heads screwed on straight, are not overpaying for FAs, particularly a high priced QB option like a Cutler, Romo or Foles.

But then i see Geno sign with the Giants for $2mm.  When Macc got here, he was happy starting out with Geno as his starter and then picked up Fitz off the trash heap as a back up.

I guess Macc did not want Geno's immaturity back in the locker room, but McCown basically showed what maturity costs.  We should share this lesson with our kids.

I don't know that Macc was committed to Geno as a starter. Without even seeing Geno play on a team he built, Macc brought in a vet JAG and drafted a mid-round pick. He followed that the next year by re-signing the vet and drafting in the second. Not exactly a vote of confidence. Regardless of what you think about Geno and Macc's first year, Geno undoubtedly had every opportunity to win the starting position last year and couldn't get it done.

After two years of unimpressive performance and injuries, coupled with having two younger guys on the roster, there was no reason to bring back Geno.

I also then wondered whether Daniels was a better option.  My guess is he either was more money, or they thought he would threaten the younger QBs.

Not expensive, pretty much in line with what most other vet backups are paid. Geno is an outlier. Other QBs in that range are on rookie contracts.

Geno commanded a third of the typical vet backup contract for several reasons:

• He went to a team committed to its starter for which it is unlike Geno will see much, if any, of the field;
  • Geno has more to learn from the other QBs on the roster than the other way around;
  • Geno is coming off an injury and is still rehabbing it;
  • Geno has not played more than a few downs in the past two years due to injuries;
  • Geno does not have the experience of McCown and other available vets;
  • Geno is a reclamation project.

The Giants are taking a cheap flyer on a guy who needs work. McCown is either a bridge QB or a vet backup here to mentor. Either way, he's in a position to command a much higher price. 

1 hour ago, varjet said:

It should tell you everything you need to know about Geno Smith and how the Organization feels about him, that they gave Josh McCown 6 Million rather than pay Geno Smith 2 Million.

As to your question, I would vote a strong "NO" on any of them, Geno, Josh McCown or Chase Daniels.  

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

It should tell you everything you need to know about Geno Smith and how the Organization feels about him, that they gave Josh McCown 6 Million rather than pay Geno Smith 2 Million.

As to your question, I would vote a strong "NO" on any of them, Geno, Josh McCown or Chase Daniels.  

No way in hell this organization could have went back to Geno Smith after all that transpired here. 

MOVE ON FROM GENO SMITH HE IS NO LONGER A NY JET

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

If they weren't that sold on Geno then it wouldn't make any sense to name him the starter. They would've just announced an open competition between Geno and Fitzpatrick. 

2 hours ago, varjet said:

lol. 

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

I have yet to see this GM pay a QB or draft a QB and it ended up being a good move. Fitz wasnt a good move, Petty is a 3rd year player who cant stay off the injury list and doesnt have the confidence in the GM that drafted him to even name him the starter as the "vet QB" on the roster. Hackenberg is basically on redshirt year #2. It seems like every move this organization has made hasnt really done anything but subtract from the cap and locking people into a roster spot via guaranteed money...even if that guaranteed money was pushed off to the next year even when that QB wont be on the roster. 

This tells us nothing about Geno Smith, just like signing Fitz for 12 million didnt tell us a thing about Geno, but only proved to be a dumb ass move by our GM. That's what it told us. And yet again, it does tell me that they gave a career below-average JAG 6 million dollars fully guaranteed who is 4 years removed from his best single season performance...which was a total outlier season at that, his last 3 seasons as starter his team drafted #1 in the draft, #2 in the draft and #1 in the draft. He'll be 38 years old, and outside of Tom Brady and Peyton Manning, I cant recall any other QB, even the one's great in their prime, that played respectable football at that age off the top of my head, let alone some dude who's prime was basically a fluke year coming in as a back up via injury. Very "Fitzpatrick-like" I might add.

What this tells me is that Mike Maccagnan paid 6 million to a guy who could very well be beaten out by Petty or Hack...basically guaranteed him 6 million and with that a roster spot to a back up QB who in 17 years if you disregard his 1 fluke statistical season has thrown more INT's than TD's in his career and makes Fitzpatrick's "Max 6 wins" scenario look like football god-status.

This should tell you and everyone else how bad of a GM Macc has just revealed himself to be with this signing. I guess if we had to find a way to relate this nonsense to Geno Smith it would be "The Giants would rather pay Geno 2 Million coming back from a torn ACL before they EVER pay Josh McCown 6 million". Maybe thats the difference between the good/bad organizations and not what you're trying to allude. 

By the way, did ya boy Fitz sign anywhere yet? Maybe Geno finding a Job says alot about Ryan Fitzpatrick. 

Just now, Villain The Foe said:

By the way, did ya boy Fitz sign anywhere yet? Maybe Geno finding a Job says alot about Ryan Fitzpatrick. 

Cam Newton will undergo surgery on his throwing shoulder to repair a "partially torn rotator cuff," and is questionable for the start of training camp.

Newton first suffered the injury in Week 14. The team initially believed he would heal with rest and rehab, but instead he'll go under the knife on March 30. Newton will do no throwing for three months, and won't resume throwing with the team for four months. That's right around the start of camp. Newton could be highly limited in the preseason, and perhaps held out of exhibition action altogether. At least for now, his Week 1 status is not in doubt.

23 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Cam Newton will undergo surgery on his throwing shoulder to repair a "partially torn rotator cuff," and is questionable for the start of training camp.

Newton first suffered the injury in Week 14. The team initially believed he would heal with rest and rehab, but instead he'll go under the knife on March 30. Newton will do no throwing for three months, and won't resume throwing with the team for four months. That's right around the start of camp. Newton could be highly limited in the preseason, and perhaps held out of exhibition action altogether. At least for now, his Week 1 status is not in doubt.

lol. 

If he did go there he probably wont win more than 6 games. :-) 

22 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

The thing is, the price is unimportant, it's a one year deal. The Jets are tanking, We aren't competing.

There is no money next year. It about giving the young guys playing time and turning the roster into a young team. 

The price is important. If its just "a one year deal" then the Jets could have signed Glennon to a multi year contract similar to was the Bears gave him and it would effectively be a 1 year contract. 

Im not trying to hijack the thread with Glennon, only using him as a point given that he was #1 sought after QB this free agency. The jets could have paid 15 million and broke ties if if didnt work. Atleast you're paying for talent, potential, youth, upside etc. Mike Maccagnan in the span of 9 months has given 2 of the worst QB's in the league a contract of 7 million guaranteed with another 5 million guaranteed issued a few days after the league ended along with guaranteeing 6 million to the other. The Jets paid 18 million dollars in two seasons for the likes of Ryan Fitzpatrick and Josh McCown. 

WTF is that man? This "It's a one year deal" doesnt fly when you can carry money over to the following season.  Also, if it was about giving the young guys playing time then there's no reason to sign a 38 year old to 6 million guaranteed. If Petty is the starter and cant cut it then put Hackenberg in. That's how young guys get playing time. Not signing McCown, having him most likely as your starter then making up some excuse later about his mentoring skills. 

This move is makes your avatar true as hell bro. The dude LITERALLY came from the Browns  to the Jets lol

enough with the geno defense.  doesn't speak much of geno that he took such a low deal.  he sold himself way short unless he knows what an immature person he truly is.  can't fault the mccown signing or hiw contract.  6 million is what the back ups make. just look around the league.  if he comes in and builds up hack or petty then it's well worth it.  and improving the players around is something geno could never do.

Just now, rangerous said:

enough with the geno defense.  doesn't speak much of geno that he took such a low deal.  he sold himself way short unless he knows what an immature person he truly is.  can't fault the mccown signing or hiw contract.  6 million is what the back ups make. just look around the league.  if he comes in and builds up hack or petty then it's well worth it.  and improving the players around is something geno could never do.

Sadly Hightower took less money to play for NE also and other free agents are steering clear of the NY Jets that should tell you something.

Just now, joewilly12 said:

Sadly Hightower took less money to play for NE also and other free agents are steering clear of the NY Jets that should tell you something.

the players are out for the money.  at some point the contract dollar amount becomes irrelevant and is replaced with the guaranteed amount.  i know you know this.  if i'm not mistaken, the patsie deal was longer and may have had more guaranteed money.  so let him go because he's just another over rated patsie player who will be a jag a couple seasons away from the bellichicken.

Trying to win?  Then ya choose Geno.

However if the goal is to mentor Petty n Hack, McCown is a no brainer.

The fact they paid at least 3 times as much for McCown just goes to show how much they're determined to either develop one of the kids, or guarantee a great draft pick next year.

Love the move and looking forward to seeing the team develop next year.  Is it as exciting as actually trying to compete?  Nope, but it's better than wasting away with a worthless veteran starting as the team goes no where.

4 hours ago, varjet said:

McClown's base salary is $6 million plus he gets a $125k bonus for every game he plays more than 50% snaps in which means he will get $7.2 mil next year for getting benched by week8

we are overpaying for a qb we are just overpaying a Qb who has never had any success

12 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

The price is important. If its just "a one year deal" then the Jets could have signed Glennon to a multi year contract similar to was the Bears gave him and it would effectively be a 1 year contract. 

Im not trying to hijack the thread with Glennon, only using him as a point given that he was #1 sought after QB this free agency. The jets could have paid 15 million and broke ties if if didnt work. Atleast you're paying for talent, potential, youth, upside etc. Mike Maccagnan in the span of 9 months has given 2 of the worst QB's in the league a contract of 7 million guaranteed with another 5 million guaranteed issued a few days after the league ended along with guaranteeing 6 million to the other. The Jets paid 18 million dollars in two seasons for the likes of Ryan Fitzpatrick and Josh McCown. 

WTF is that man? This "It's a one year deal" doesnt fly when you can carry money over to the following season.  Also, if it was about giving the young guys playing time then there's no reason to sign a 38 year old to 6 million guaranteed. If Petty is the starter and cant cut it then put Hackenberg in. That's how young guys get playing time. Not signing McCown, having him most likely as your starter then making up some excuse later about his mentoring skills. 

This move is makes your avatar true as hell bro. The dude LITERALLY came from the Browns  to the Jets lol

Rant much, I think your still butt hurt over your boy Glennon going to the Bears.

We are rebuilding get used to it. I'd sooner not pay the kind of money Mike Glennon signed for tying the Jets into a multi year contract, for a QB that may turn into Brock Osweiler?

McCown isn't here to start, he just a vet that's here to throw in if the young guys sh*t the bed. It's tank time baby!

I'm still trying to decide if these JAG retread signings like McCown and Fitz are all on Macc or if Bowles is forcing it.  Last year they caved to veteran pressure. This year there literally ARE NO VETERANS (unless you consider Decker coming back from major surgery). Total lack of b@lls. If you believe in the 2 QB's you drafted show some b@lls and play them.  If you don't, show some b@lls and cut them and draft another guy.  

They have a better chance of seeing billboards and airplanes putting McCown out there to suck every week vs. Hack or Petty or Watson/Trubisky/Mahomes...

5 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

Rant much, I think your still butt hurt over your boy Glennon going to the Bears.

We are rebuilding get used to it. I'd sooner not pay the kind of money Mike Glennon signed for tying the Jets into a multi year contract, for a QB that may turn into Brock Osweiler?

McCown isn't here to start, he just a vet that's here to throw in if the young guys sh*t the bed. It's tank time baby!

McClown is starting 

4 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

I'm still trying to decide if these JAG retread signings like McCown and Fitz are all on Macc or if Bowles is forcing it.  Last year they caved to veteran pressure. This year there literally ARE NO VETERANS (unless you consider Decker coming back from major surgery). Total lack of b@lls. If you believe in the 2 QB's you drafted show some b@lls and play them.  If you don't, show some b@lls and cut them and draft another guy.  

They have a better chance of seeing billboards and airplanes putting McCown out there to suck every week vs. Hack or Petty or Watson/Trubisky/Mahomes...

There was no point in signing McClown other than a half-assed desperate last ditch attempt by Mac to save his job.

I keep hearing what a great QB coach McClown is.  Really?  Why not just hire a good OC and qb coach to begin with

Just now, thadude said:

There was no point in signing McClown other than a half-assed desperate attempt by Mac to save his job.

I keep hearing what a great QB coach McClown is.  Really?  Why not just hire a good OC and qb coach to begin with

The Jets dont operate in that manner. 

2 minutes ago, thadude said:

There was no point in signing McClown other than a half-assed desperate attempt by Mac to save his job.

Mccown was signed to prevent a total veteran revolt. In terms of the other options- I gotta say he's by far the best choice to prevent that from happening. So I understand it somewhat. I dont think it's anything more than that...other than the obvious- they dont think Hackenberg or Petty can or are near ready to play.

Archived