Geno, McCown or Daniels?

varjet

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, thadude said:

There was no point in signing McClown other than a half-assed desperate last ditch attempt by Mac to save his job.

I keep hearing what a great QB coach McClown is.  Really?  Why not just hire a good OC and qb coach to begin with

Moreover, why not pay him to a QB coach?

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

Mccown was signed to prevent a total veteran revolt. In terms of the other options- I gotta say he's by far the best choice to prevent that from happening. So I understand it somewhat. I dont think it's anything more than that...other than the obvious- they dont think Hackenberg or Petty can or are near ready to play.

McCown is a bad Qb whose record is 2-20 last few seasons.  I wonder what revolt he is stopping

If neither petty nor hack are ready by next year they both really blow.  Dak and Wentz were both effective as rookies last year

Just now, Matt39 said:

Mccown was signed to prevent a total veteran revolt. In terms of the other options- I gotta say he's by far the best choice to prevent that from happening. I dont think it's anything more than that...other than the obvious- they dont think Hackenberg or Petty can or are near ready to play.

What veterans are there to revolt?  Tanner Purdum?  They basically are in the process of dismantling the team.  

McCown is close to 15 years older than many of the faces in that locker room.  I'm not sure how well his intangibles and leadership is going to translate to a 22-yr old UDFA...

2 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

No way in hell this organization could have went back to Geno Smith after all that transpired here. 

MOVE ON FROM GENO SMITH HE IS NO LONGER A NY JET

LOL. This from the guy who argued with me for page after page that Geno"friggin"Smith was the best option out there. Cagacazzo!

Just now, thadude said:

McCown is a bad Qb whose record is 2-20 last few seasons.  I wonder what revolt he is stopping

If neither petty nor hack are ready by next year they both really blow.  Dak and Wentz were both effective as rookies last year

I agree he's bad. He's also well liked and seems to put in effort. Considering the other options...he was probably the most logical if they were convinced Petty or Hackenberg cant play yet.

1 minute ago, peekskill68 said:

What veterans are there to revolt?  Tanner Purdum?  They basically are in the process of dismantling the team.  

McCown is close to 15 years older than many of the faces in that locker room.  I'm not sure how well his intangibles and leadership is going to translate to a 22-yr old UDFA...

I thought cutting Marshall was going to solve that oh wait

10 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

Rant much, I think your still butt hurt over your boy Glennon going to the Bears.

We are rebuilding get used to it. I'd sooner not pay the kind of money Mike Glennon signed for tying the Jets into a multi year contract, for a QB that may turn into Brock Osweiler?

McCown isn't here to start, he just a vet that's here to throw in if the young guys sh*t the bed. It's tank time baby!

Well, that certainly is true...no denying that one. 

Although I must say that the "Osweiler" comparison has gotten old rather quickly. They're not even the same player when you boil it down to their stats. Also, why is it that he can never be the next "Tyrod Taylor"? Wasnt he a free agent coming from having to sit behind a franchise QB out in Baltimore? Also, this multi year contract situation has nothing to do with guaranteed money. Glennon is pretty much on a 1 year deal out in Chicago. It's hard for me to see the such rejection when I watched most fans accept 12 million to Fitz and fans currently trying to justify 6 to McCown. 

Also, we dont know for sure that McCown isnt here to be the starter. He was just given 6 million dollars and Bryce Petty is still injured. Unless you're saying that Hackenberg is the starter at this point there's no other way to look at this scenario other than McCown being the starter. Also, I didnt hear Maccagnan or Bowles name a starter or confirm that McCown is simply here as a back up. 

1 minute ago, peekskill68 said:

There are a few. Decker, Winters, Carpenter, Powell etc. Again I dont totally agree with the move but if Petty and Hack cant play then they didnt have much of a choice.

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

I agree he's bad. He's also well liked and seems to put in effort. Considering the other options...he was probably the most logical if they were convinced Petty or Hackenberg cant play yet.

Well liked?  We should have just signed Tom Hanks to be the starting qb

What a disaster

Just now, thadude said:

Well liked?  We should have just signed Tom Hanks to be the starting qb

What a disaster

Well respected was a better choice of words. Who else was there- Cutler(no) Kapernick(no)...Daniels? AGain Im working under the assumption the front office and coaching staff dont think Petty or Hack are even passable starters. Petty was really bad when he played.

Just now, Matt39 said:

There are a few. Decker, Winters, Carpenter, Powell etc. Again I dont totally agree with the move but if Petty and Hack cant play then they didnt have much of a choice.

You're right on Decker, but if Hack and Petty can't play to the point there'd be a revolt, the bigger revolt would be keeping them on the team.  And if they really can't play, why go with a guy like McCown vs. getting out bid by the Bears for Glennon who may have an upside and a future?

Just now, peekskill68 said:

You're right on Decker, but if Hack and Petty can't play to the point there'd be a revolt, the bigger revolt would be keeping them on the team.  And if they really can't play, why go with a guy like McCown vs. getting out bid by the Bears for Glennon who may have an upside and a future?

Meh, I was never really high enough on Glennon to get upset over him going somewhere else. He's ok- just not a guy I'd be willing to commit multiple years to especially with the current state of the roster.

Waste of money on this bum. I'm not upset they signed him I'm upset with what they paid him. Waaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy to much. Panic move from a sinking regime. If they draft Watson it makes it a little more palatable but I doubt they draft him. Too bad. Watson is gonna be a starter in this league.

4 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

Waste of money on this bum. I'm not upset they signed him I'm upset with what they paid him. Waaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy to much. Panic move from a sinking regime. If they draft Watson it makes it a little more palatable but I doubt they draft him. Too bad. Watson is gonna be a starter in this league.

31 other NFL teams you could go root for. We are a rebuilding regime not a sinking regime. DAMMIT 

4 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

McCown will make more money after incentives next season than what Brandon Marshall was set to make with us

That is jet-like ineptitude

31 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Love the move and looking forward to seeing the team develop next year.  Is it as exciting as actually trying to compete?  Nope, but it's better than wasting away with a worthless veteran starting as the team goes no where.

Exactly. What constitutes a wasted year? Do you consider being competitive and having a chance to win any given Sunday (in the regular season only) at the expense of your own younger players progress a positive? I don't.

Is a "tank" year where you develop your own kids and set the table for a true competitor to create a SB window and get close enough to either select or trade up for a FQB a positive?  Hell YES I do.

No more circling the drain year after year after year.

48 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Wait, are you saying that Josh McCown makes this team better in comparison to Prince Amakumara? 

No. SMH that the Jets continue to not get better players. The Jets are worse at QB than last season. 

7 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

I have yet to see this GM pay a QB or draft a QB and it ended up being a good move. Fitz wasnt a good move, Petty is a 3rd year player who cant stay off the injury list and doesnt have the confidence in the GM that drafted him to even name him the starter as the "vet QB" on the roster. Hackenberg is basically on redshirt year #2. It seems like every move this organization has made hasnt really done anything but subtract from the cap and locking people into a roster spot via guaranteed money...even if that guaranteed money was pushed off to the next year even when that QB wont be on the roster. 

This tells us nothing about Geno Smith, just like signing Fitz for 12 million didnt tell us a thing about Geno, but only proved to be a dumb ass move by our GM. That's what it told us. And yet again, it does tell me that they gave a career below-average JAG 6 million dollars fully guaranteed who is 4 years removed from his best single season performance...which was a total outlier season at that, his last 3 seasons as starter his team drafted #1 in the draft, #2 in the draft and #1 in the draft. He'll be 38 years old, and outside of Tom Brady and Peyton Manning, I cant recall any other QB, even the one's great in their prime, that played respectable football at that age off the top of my head, let alone some dude who's prime was basically a fluke year coming in as a back up via injury. Very "Fitzpatrick-like" I might add.

What this tells me is that Mike Maccagnan paid 6 million to a guy who could very well be beaten out by Petty or Hack...basically guaranteed him 6 million and with that a roster spot to a back up QB who in 17 years if you disregard his 1 fluke statistical season has thrown more INT's than TD's in his career and makes Fitzpatrick's "Max 6 wins" scenario look like football god-status.

This should tell you and everyone else how bad of a GM Macc has just revealed himself to be with this signing. I guess if we had to find a way to relate this nonsense to Geno Smith it would be "The Giants would rather pay Geno 2 Million coming back from a torn ACL before they EVER pay Josh McCown 6 million". Maybe thats the difference between the good/bad organizations and not what you're trying to allude. 

By the way, did ya boy Fitz sign anywhere yet? Maybe Geno finding a Job says alot about Ryan Fitzpatrick. 

Surprised to still see you here tbqh.  

If you're looking for me to defend Macc, you're looking in the wrong place.  I've disagreed with him at almost every decision point at QB, with retaining Geno when he first arrived, with drafting Hackenberg when/where he did, with allowing the Fitz resigning situation to linger far too long in 2016, and now with signing McCown.  His track record at QB is weak thus far.

But you're wrong, their abandonment of Geno does in fact say alot about what they (Macc and Co) think of him, and it's not much.  How much value you place in that is up to you, but no one in the NFL saw as much Geno as Macc and Bowles, and they couldn't let him go fast enough.  We'll see if Geno can prove them wrong.

As for Fitz, I don't think he'll get another job, and I don't care if he does.  Unlike yourself and your fellow Genophiles, I can very much accept that my preferred player in that A/B option failed us, and that I'm glad we've moved on.  The back patting by Geno guys who think they were "right" because of him getting a 2 mil/year reclamation opportunity #3 job is....funny, to say the least.  

So, out of curiosity, how many weekly "Glennon..." threads are you planning on spamming us all with this preseason?  

For the Jets' purposes, Geno and it's not even close.

For all the veteran poise and wisdom surrounding McCown, who has he helped develop? Certainly not anyone with the Browns. Nothing in Chicago. Glennon? Jake Delhomme?

He's a journeyman QB that doesn't add much just like Fitzpatrick, who was supposed to impart his Harvard groomed wisdom upon the youngsters. He's on the downside of his career, and since a fluke season in Chicago, been a bust.

Chase Daniels, career back up who is limited physically to be a legitimate starter who is now 30. Not exactly the next Drew Brees.

Geno is still young and does have the tools to succeed. Will he? Maybe not?

However, these two other choices have way more years of not succeeding on the books with age and physical abilities holding them back.

Neither are ideal choices, but if you picked unbiasedly, Geno is the easy choice because at least there is hope. Although that boat gas obviously sailed.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

13 hours ago, Fantasy Island said:

One can hope......I just want us to address the offense.   I'll take a trade down, OL at 15.  The definition of insanity is trying the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.  

Soooooo you want our first 1st round QB since Sanchez to be another sh*tty prospect (one that was worse than Mark was, coming out of college), yet believe this.

13 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

lol. I hate that with a passion. That and "He's mentoring the kiddies". 

Makes me want to politely ask Max to shut this forum down. 

How about you just leave since, you know, you've been in full blown b*tch t*t lactation since Glennon became a Bear.  You went as far as saying that you'll watch more of them than the Jets.  Who actually says that as a fan of a specific team?

Quite frankly, I've seen you fawn over 2 QBs since coming here.  Bercovici.  Glennon.  You constantly told us how good they were, they have all the tools, have "it", and low and behold, they both suck horse d*ck.  I'm not even sure Bercovici is in the league right now.

I'll make a really long story short.  You, of all people, asking anyone to shut down a forum because you don't like the opinions others have about a QB in any way shape or form is absolutely hysterical, even if it was "a joke".  6 million dollars for a backup to mentor the young kids (yeah, believe it or not, that is a actual thing football teams do) is absolutely nothing.  The only reason you're complaining about this is because we didn't give that long necked scrub in Chicago double that to help you reach your circlejerk climax over him. 

If you hate this place so much at times then leave.  No one will care.  Every thread with you (and ThaDude) usually ends up turning into a Glennon conversation since he signed somewhere else.  It's either that or now you b*tch and complain about every tiny miniscule thing the FO does because it's clear you haven't gotten over the fact that we didn't sign him and you need to lash out in some way. Every. Single. Time.  It's absolutely obnoxious.

On 3/21/2017 at 3:36 PM, Villain The Foe said:

I have yet to see this GM pay a QB or draft a QB and it ended up being a good move. Fitz wasnt a good move, Petty is a 3rd year player who cant stay off the injury list and doesnt have the confidence in the GM that drafted him to even name him the starter as the "vet QB" on the roster. Hackenberg is basically on redshirt year #2. It seems like every move this organization has made hasnt really done anything but subtract from the cap and locking people into a roster spot via guaranteed money...even if that guaranteed money was pushed off to the next year even when that QB wont be on the roster. 

This tells us nothing about Geno Smith, just like signing Fitz for 12 million didnt tell us a thing about Geno, but only proved to be a dumb ass move by our GM. That's what it told us. And yet again, it does tell me that they gave a career below-average JAG 6 million dollars fully guaranteed who is 4 years removed from his best single season performance...which was a total outlier season at that, his last 3 seasons as starter his team drafted #1 in the draft, #2 in the draft and #1 in the draft. He'll be 38 years old, and outside of Tom Brady and Peyton Manning, I cant recall any other QB, even the one's great in their prime, that played respectable football at that age off the top of my head, let alone some dude who's prime was basically a fluke year coming in as a back up via injury. Very "Fitzpatrick-like" I might add.

What this tells me is that Mike Maccagnan paid 6 million to a guy who could very well be beaten out by Petty or Hack...basically guaranteed him 6 million and with that a roster spot to a back up QB who in 17 years if you disregard his 1 fluke statistical season has thrown more INT's than TD's in his career and makes Fitzpatrick's "Max 6 wins" scenario look like football god-status.

This should tell you and everyone else how bad of a GM Macc has just revealed himself to be with this signing. I guess if we had to find a way to relate this nonsense to Geno Smith it would be "The Giants would rather pay Geno 2 Million coming back from a torn ACL before they EVER pay Josh McCown 6 million". Maybe thats the difference between the good/bad organizations and not what you're trying to allude. 

By the way, did ya boy Fitz sign anywhere yet? Maybe Geno finding a Job says alot about Ryan Fitzpatrick. 

He was a 4th round project pick you dunce. If he becomes a longterm backup capable of starting in spots, it was a decent pick. 

The Giants QB scenario is nowhere near ours.  They paid Geno 2 million because he's young and cheap and they didn't really need him with Eli in the fold.  Why in the world would they consider an almost 40 year old McCown for 6 million with that "established veteran presence" on their roster already?  That would be beyond stupid.  Not only that, but McCown wants a chance to play.  I doubt he's starting opening day, but at least he gets that chance here.  We paid 6 million for a vet mentor who can step in and play in case of injury.  That's it.  Nothing more.  Nothing less.  We're also not trying to win this year.  Deal with it. We're trying to develop youth while, hopefully, losing enough games to draft a good QB if neither hack or Petty work out and continue rebuilding.  Almost every other QB on the market was more expensive and would probably have won us enough games to keep us mediocre if they played.

As a final note, paying Fitzpatrick 12 million to not play Geno Smith absolutely told us everything we needed to know about him.  The fact that the Giants were the only ones knocking his door down to only offer him a backup job @ 2 million per year with all the teams right now in need of a guy who could potentially start for 1 year while they wait for next year's class (49ers, Browns, Texans, etc.) solidifies what the rest of the league thinks of him.  He, just like everyone else from his QB class, is hot garbage.  Fitzpatrick sucks too so don't even throw that Fitz Fan stuff at me.

55 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

He was a 4th round project pick you dunce. If he becomes a longterm backup capable of starting in spots, it was a decent pick. 

The Giants QB scenario is nowhere near ours.  They paid Geno 2 million because he's young and cheap and they didn't really need him with Eli in the fold.  Why in the world would they consider an almost 40 year old McCown for 6 million with that "established veteran presence" on their roster already?  That would be beyond stupid.  Not only that, but McCown wants a chance to play.  I doubt he's starting opening day, but at least he gets that chance here.  We paid 6 million for a vet mentor who can step in and play in case of injury.  That's it.  Nothing more.  Nothing less.  We're also not trying to win this year.  Deal with it. We're trying to develop youth while, hopefully, losing enough games to draft a good QB if neither hack or Petty work out and continue rebuilding.  Almost every other QB on the market was more expensive and would probably have won us enough games to keep us mediocre if they played.

As a final note, paying Fitzpatrick 12 million to not play Geno Smith absolutely told us everything we needed to know about him.  The fact that the Giants were the only ones knocking his door down to only offer him a backup job @ 2 million per year with all the teams right now in need of a guy who could potentially start for 1 year while they wait for next year's class (49ers, Browns, Texans, etc.) solidifies what the rest of the league thinks of him.  He, just like everyone else from his QB class is hot garbage.  Fitzpatrick sucks too so don't even throw that Fitz Fan stuff at me.

Wish I could double Rep! - Great post.

Archived