What's the goal here???

Jets1214

1 hour ago, ASH1962 said:

Ok I get it and agree with your premise. I also agree that for us to become major contenders and get a franchise QB, the moron must remain as HC so he can lead us to 1-3 in 2017 wins so we can be at the top of next years draft.

What I don't get is this whole "rebuild" idea while keeping the same deficient HC in place, this is akin to putting an entire new chassis on a car that has a blown engine. It makes absolutely no sense.

Any of you who think this guy will become a great HC are deluding yourselves and I feel we will be mired in mediocrity or worse for at least 5 more years because of this.

I definitely would see your point in most cases, but remember Bowles was hired before Macc, which to me never made sense. If Macc was going to make a move for another HC, I think this would've been the year to cut bait. 

31 minutes ago, ATX Jetsfan said:

Nothing says Jets, like rooting for a terrible year so you can draft another California kid from that NFL QB factory USC. 

Agreed, we should do our best to win 7 games because jets fans like you think Sam Darnold will be bad because he went to the same school as Sanchez. Brilliant logic. Because if he opted for Stanford instead he would insistently have a stronger arm, run a faster 40, and be more accurate because Stanford.  

Leave the talent evaluation to the big boys. Thanks

If the plan is to tank for Sam, then there better be a #2 or #3 option as well because relying on your team to have the worst record in the league is difficult to do. We could pick up 2 wins along the way and there might be one team who just gets all the wrong luck and finishes 1-15 or 0-16.

How many teams have less young talent?

How many teams have less veteran talent?

How many teams have a demonstrably worse quarterback situation?

How many teams have a demonstrably worse coaching situation?

When I'm asking myself any of those questions, I can't think of more than 2 or 3 teams as answers to any of them. The only thing I can think of that we have going for us is that we don't have much in the way of long term obligations. The cap will be almost completely cleared for 2018.

Just now, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Agreed, we should do our best to win 7 games because jets fans like you think Sam Darnold will be bad because he went to the same school as Sanchez. Brilliant logic. Because if he opted for Stanford instead he would insistently have a stronger arm, run a faster 40, and be more accurate because Stanford.  

Leave the talent evaluation to the big boys. Thanks

Where did i say we should win 7 games? Where did i say Sanchez? 

I understand every prospect is different and should be evaluated on his own merit. But there is something to be said about certain programs simply not producing talent at certain positions.

USC has never produced a QB who played in a super bowl, despite the talent they bring in. 

Todd Marinovich

Rob Johnson

Matt Cassel

Carson Palmer

Matt Leinart

Mark Sanchez

John David Booty

Cody Kessler

Matt Barkley 

Doesn't exactly exude confidence. 

3 minutes ago, stoicsentry said:

If the plan is to tank for Sam, then there better be a #2 or #3 option as well because relying on your team to have the worst record in the league is difficult to do. We could pick up 2 wins along the way and there might be one team who just gets all the wrong luck and finishes 1-15 or 0-16.

How many teams have less young talent?

How many teams have less veteran talent?

How many teams have a demonstrably worse quarterback situation?

How many teams have a demonstrably worse coaching situation?

When I'm asking myself any of those questions, I can't think of more than 2 or 3 teams as answers to any of them. The only thing I can think of that we have going for us is that we don't have much in the way of long term obligations. The cap will be almost completely cleared for 2018.

Exactly.  This also involves the players who are busting there butts on the field.  Do you think they are trying to lose?  Not a get a sack and fumble recovery?  Not try to score a td?  It's one think to have a bad team but to go out their and tank really means we have the wrong players on the team. 

8 minutes ago, ATX Jetsfan said:

Todd Marinovich

Rob Johnson

Matt Cassel

Carson Palmer

Matt Leinart

Mark Sanchez

John David Booty

Cody Kessler

Matt Barkley 

Jesus, what a terrible list. 

9 minutes ago, ATX Jetsfan said:

Where did i say we should win 7 games? Where did i say Sanchez? 

I understand every prospect is different and should be evaluated on his own merit. But there is something to be said about certain programs simply not producing talent at certain positions.

USC has never produced a QB who played in a super bowl, despite the talent they bring in. 

Todd Marinovich

Rob Johnson

Matt Cassel

Carson Palmer

Matt Leinart

Mark Sanchez

John David Booty

Cody Kessler

Matt Barkley 

Heath Shuler

Tyler Bray

Tee Martin

Matt Simms

Erick Ainge
Casey Clausen

better not draft that Peyton Manning Kid....

2 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Heath Shuler

Tyler Bray

Tee Martin

Matt Simms

Erick Ainge
Casey Clausen

better not draft that Peyton Manning Kid....

God you trigger easy. I didn't say don't draft Sam Darnold. All i said was it would be typical Jets to have a bad season and be looking at a savior to come from USC. In what way, shape or form did i say DO NOT DRAFT Sam Darnold. Simply pointing out the irony of our situation.  

Also that Tenn list is drastically different. How many of those were considered first round talent besides Shuler? 

4 hours ago, ASH1962 said:

Ok I get it and agree with your premise. I also agree that for us to become major contenders and get a franchise QB, the moron must remain as HC so he can lead us to 1-3 in 2017 wins so we can be at the top of next years draft.

What I don't get is this whole "rebuild" idea while keeping the same deficient HC in place, this is akin to putting an entire new chassis on a car that has a blown engine. It makes absolutely no sense.

Any of you who think this guy will become a great HC are deluding yourselves and I feel we will be mired in mediocrity or worse for at least 5 more years because of this.

i guess you don't like bowles very much.  i'd rather be optimistic about the whole thing.  i'll give mac and bowles some slack because they took opver a team that has only a handful of draft choices remaining on the team after two years of idzik and the final couple of tanny.  it takes time.  and like you say, they probably should've cleaned house completely in 2015.  the 10-6 season just gave everyone false hope.  so basically they're starting about a season too late.  here's to hoping that mac has a great draft and bowles is able to get this team to play hard and smart.

2 hours ago, prime21 said:

Exactly.  This also involves the players who are busting there butts on the field.  Do you think they are trying to lose?  Not a get a sack and fumble recovery?  Not try to score a td?  It's one think to have a bad team but to go out their and tank really means we have the wrong players on the team. 

Exactly.

Also, the players in 2017 are mainly ones who may struggle to get a contract elsewhere if they don't perform this season. They're not like players like Marshall, Revis etc who will always find a team based on reputation alone.

The best case (realistic) scenario for me is that we have a good honest season where a couple of the rookies-2 year guys emerge as being very good players for the future and some of the 2-4 year guys like Enunwa and Williams really step up to the plate and show some leadership qualities.

Even if that does happen we are still likely to have one of the first few picks for 2018... who is going to be worse than us?

13 hours ago, SwanseaJack said:

Exactly.

Also, the players in 2017 are mainly ones who may struggle to get a contract elsewhere if they don't perform this season. They're not like players like Marshall, Revis etc who will always find a team based on reputation alone.

The best case (realistic) scenario for me is that we have a good honest season where a couple of the rookies-2 year guys emerge as being very good players for the future and some of the 2-4 year guys like Enunwa and Williams really step up to the plate and show some leadership qualities.

Even if that does happen we are still likely to have one of the first few picks for 2018... who is going to be worse than us?

Again I dont think anyone is advocating tanking.  Im sure these guys will play hard all year and try to win.  The issue was the QB.  The roster has been decemated of so many key vets I dont see it as more then a 2 or 3 win team.  Signing a decent level starter like Cutler probably would have been worth 2 or 3 extra wins.  Romo may have been 5 or 6 extra wins.  But none of them in my mind equaled any type of playoff success.  So why bother?  Thats why McCown made so much sense.  A vet presence just in case Petty and Hackenberg sh*t the bed but a guy who wont go out there and give you those extra meaningless wins and ruin your chances of getting the next franchise QB.  2007 is a great example.  We won that last game against Herm and KC and for our whopping 4th win of the year...and it dropped us from 3rd pick to 6th and instead of Matt Ryan we got Vern Gholston.  

So no, we are not asking players to roll over but there was no sense in bringing in a QB who will get us to 5-11 instead of 2-14.

5 hours ago, Jets1214 said:

So no, we are not asking players to roll over but there was no sense in bringing in a QB who will get us to 5-11 instead of 2-14.

Agree with this.

Give me a 2-14 and a chance to pick up a genuine QB talent in the 2018 draft vs another below par and disappointing 5-11 any day.

At the end of the day, talk of tanking is pretty irrelevant because as things stand we are going to whether we want to or not!

I get the idea of fans rooting for their team to win at all costs. Trust me I do. Football in its purest form is a true team game that USED TO allow teams to win in a multitude of ways. It's easier to agree with the "don't tank" crowd in the NFL of yesterday.

The QB was always important for winning. Now, they're everything. You could win a title with Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson, Doug Williams, Jeff Hostetler, etc. You just needed a complete team. Thats not enough anymore. 

6-10 this year will only do what so many of those seasons did for us, missing out on Matt Ryan, Jameis Winston, Marcus Mariota, etc.

Yeah, all the 2018 eligible qb's could have horrible college seasons next year. But theres a bunch that are true first round talents, one or two being some of the better prospects in a long time. 

Give me 1-15. Let us trade down this year, stockpile our picks, get high picks next year with a bad record and rebuild the right way. 

14 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

I get the idea of fans rooting for their team to win at all costs. Trust me I do. Football in its purest form is a true team game that USED TO allow teams to win in a multitude of ways. It's easier to agree with the "don't tank" crowd in the NFL of yesterday.

The QB was always important for winning. Now, they're everything. You could win a title with Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson, Doug Williams, Jeff Hostetler, etc. You just needed a complete team. Thats not enough anymore. 

6-10 this year will only do what so many of those seasons did for us, missing out on Matt Ryan, Jameis Winston, Marcus Mariota, etc.

Yeah, all the 2018 eligible qb's could have horrible college seasons next year. But theres a bunch that are true first round talents, one or two being some of the better prospects in a long time. 

Give me 1-15. Let us trade down this year, stockpile our picks, get high picks next year with a bad record and rebuild the right way. 

You rebuild the right way by making the right draft day and free agency decisions stay put with the 6th pick you need immediate impact players who are NFL ready. 

Goals..?  Well I'll share mine.. 

Bring back stuff like this...

1782490_display_image.jpg

1996.keyshawn-johnson.jpg

vnwd7ysczw2lvy3.jpg

While dating something like this...

image.jpg

While the fans celebrate like this..

USATSI_5541106_149008644_lowres.jpg

and we eventually win for the first time since he did this..

nfl-superbowl.jpg

but first we will probably go through this first..... (but you never know!)

jets-fans-paper-bag.jpg

anyway end thread hijack.. (sorry bored) 

Archived