That Hackenberg TD drive against Giants

Dcronin

I know about all the other bad throws. The bad reports from camp. I know that this is just a preseason game, but come on.

You have to see the loose outline of a stud in here. You have to. I don't know sh*t (more people on here should admit that, same with people writing for Daily News) but I just smell the makings of a real QB in here.

Take a look - 

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dude! I actually rewatched this myself last night.

the key seems to be letting him get comfortable in the pocket - but his touch in that TD throw is a thing of beauty. He was decisive the whole drive and had great arc/velocity depending on what was required.

the problem of course is he seems to have lazy feet and his mechanics go to absolute sh*t with any pressure

3 minutes ago, David Harris said:

the key seems to be letting Jim get comfortable in the pocket - but his touch in that TD throw is a thing of beauty. He was decisive the whole drive and had great arc/velocity depending on what was required.

the problem of course is he seems to have lazy feet and his mechanics go to absolute sh*t with any pressure

Jim who? 

11 minutes ago, David Harris said:

the key seems to be letting Jim get comfortable in the pocket - but his touch in that TD throw is a thing of beauty. He was decisive the whole drive and had great arc/velocity depending on what was required.

most QB's mechanics go to sh*t with heavy pressure Peyton Mannings feet when under pressure were the worst but he made the throws the question is does a QB have a strong enough arm to make the throws when he cant step into the pass and Hackenberg does ,

It's also worth noting we do in fact have a real QB coach this year and not some poser who had never worked with QB's. 

That was one of the more embarrassing aspects to last year.  Gaileys protege was hired despite having zero experience with QB's and his first order of business was to declare they were not going to work on Hacks mechanics for a year.   Then on his way out he takes a parting shot at the kid he either couldn't, or wouldn't help. 

It's no surprise this guy got stuffed in a broom closet for a college team this year.

13 minutes ago, Pac said:

It's also worth noting we do in fact have a real QB coach this year and not some poser who had never worked with QB's. 

That was one of the more embarrassing aspects to last year.  Gaileys protege was hired despite having zero experience with QB's and his first order of business was to declare they were not going to work on Hacks mechanics for a year.   Then on his way out he takes a parting shot at the kid he either couldn't, or wouldn't help. 

It's no surprise this guy got stuffed in a broom closet for a college team this year.

At this point I hope that just turns out to be a weird blessing. It was infuriating that they didn't work with him last year. But with the coaching changes maybe that turns out to be good? Like let the new guys sort it out.

4 hours ago, David Harris said:

the key seems to be letting him get comfortable in the pocket - but his touch in that TD throw is a thing of beauty. He was decisive the whole drive and had great arc/velocity depending on what was required.

Yeah but how about before that TD, the pass to maybe, Anderson, down the sideline? Dude planted and delivered, with pressure in his face. Friggin gorgeous!

5 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

most QB's mechanics go to sh*t with heavy pressure Peyton Mannings feet when under pressure were the worst but he made the throws the question is does a QB have a strong enough arm to make the throws when he cant step into the pass and Hackenberg does ,

But Petty is nowhere near what Peyton was without pressure. Two different animals no matter the situation. 

One two things that a guy like Hack needs that Peyton had is a running game with a RB that can catch along with a TE. 

This is partly my problem with drafting Hack in the 2nd round or possibly drafting a qb at 6. You need complimentary pieces when drafting a qb. Drafting a guy and not having a thing on offense around him is a waste. 

Look how bad Sanchez was, but look how far we went with him. 

This really isn't rocket science, which is why I'm no longer cutting  Macc any slack

1 hour ago, Villain The Foe said:

But Petty is nowhere near what Peyton was without pressure. Two different animals no matter the situation. 

One two things that a guy like Hack needs that Peyton had is a running game with a RB that can catch along with a TE. 

This is partly my problem with drafting Hack in the 2nd round or possibly drafting a qb at 6. You need complimentary pieces when drafting a qb. Drafting a guy and not having a thing on offense around him is a waste. 

Look how bad Sanchez was, but look how far we went with him. 

This really isn't rocket science, which is why I'm no longer cutting  Macc any slack

I agree with you 100 % lots of examples of QB's who did very well with an elite back to fall back on and control the game in the 4th quarter.

Lets see if Macc goes for the elite back in round 1 because I think he should. Elliott and Prescott are a great example of how much an elite back means to a young QB or any QB for that matter. If anyone thinks Prescott does what he did without Elliott they're nuts. I would go so far to say the same thing about Kurt Warner and Marshall Faulk. 49ers always had two way backs Craig, Watters . Look how many SB winners had really good backs and the elite dynasty type teams always had good backs Steelers of the 70's had Franco Niners always had good backs Cowboys of the early 90's had Emmitt the list goes on and on. You must surround your young QB with some talent to help him grow and not have to take on the burden all by himself .

Fournette at 6 and if hes not there trade back and get one of the other backs and a few picks to boot if that option is available

10 hours ago, Dcronin said:

I know about all the other bad throws. The bad reports from camp. I know that this is just a preseason game, but come on.

You have to see the loose outline of a stud in here. You have to. I don't know sh*t (more people on here should admit that, same with people writing for Daily News) but I just smell the makings of a real QB in here.

Take a look - 

I wanted to be happy, I saw the video, but then I made the mistake of Google and read this:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/draft-why-pff-doesnt-have-a-draftable-grade-on-christian-hackenberg/

SAR I

8 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

I think Mac believes in Hackenberg, that is why I want them to draft an offensive playmker in the first round. Be O.J.Howard, Fournette, or even Mike Williams. They have to give Hackenberg every chance to succeed.

Yes!  Would be fine with any of those three.  But we need to add some more offensive lineman as well in the third round (Both picks).  Either the center from ohio State or Ethan Pocic from LSU (Especially him if we get Fournette).  Our o-line needs to give him the clean pocket, similar to what we had when Sanchez started and like Prescott last year.  

1 hour ago, JetsFanatic said:

I think Mac believes in Hackenberg, that is why I want them to draft an offensive playmker in the first round. Be it O.J.Howard, Fournette, or even Mike Williams. They have to give Hackenberg every chance to succeed.

I'm fine with any of those three also, my preference would be OJ Howard.  There will be good running backs available in round 2, someone like Mixon or Kamari.  That would give us two playmakers to add to the offense.  We can then look for safety and cornerback help in round 3.

The one thing that Bill O'Brien did immediately with PSU was to ensure that he had talented Tight Ends. And that position really became a security blanket (again, in O"Brien's offense) to Hackenberg his freshman year. As the play developed, if there was nothing else there, he would check down to the TE, and know that player would protect him.

So if I'm Mac I'm trading down to get OJ Howard and then a solid running back in round 2-3(depending on what our pick is from the 1st round trade) then also going corner and safety early so then you wind up with your playmaker/security blanket and a running back who won't have to produce AS much being that Forte will play his last year here and Powell will probably feature him heavily. 

Archived