Cap Questions Related To Sheldon Richardson

Maxman

So it seems like the Jets have to trade Sheldon. They never got in a groove with Wilk, Williams and Sheldon. Wilk got paid. Williams is younger, so Sheldon is on the way out most likely. A few questions, maybe we will get lucky and Jason will see this. :)

• If the Jets let Sheldon play out this year, and they lose him as a free agent, what would the comp pick be? A 3rd rounder?
  • If they trade Sheldon they would be 8 million lighter against the cap. I think they can roll any amount they are under the cap over to next year. Is that true?

The thought of having like 75 million against the cap next year is pretty damn appealing.

2 hours ago, Maxman said:

So it seems like the Jets have to trade Sheldon. They never got in a groove with Wilk, Williams and Sheldon. Wilk got paid. Williams is younger, so Sheldon is on the way out most likely. A few questions, maybe we will get lucky and Jason will see this. :)

• If the Jets let Sheldon play out this year, and they lose him as a free agent, what would the comp pick be? A 3rd rounder?
  • If they trade Sheldon they would be 8 million lighter against the cap. I think they can roll any amount they are under the cap over to next year. Is that true?

The thought of having like 75 million against the cap next year is pretty damn appealing.

Compensation picks are determined most by salary that your former players signs for with his new team.  Also did you lose more players than you gain in Fa.  ( impossible to figure out until see what the Jets do in Fa in 2018)

If the Jets have that much money in 2018 than like hood they will be big players in free agency .   The chances are you might not get anything for Sheldon Richardson.    Or the Jets could want to built through the draft , and not be big players in Fa, and than they probably would get a third rounder.

Yes any amount a team has left over in salary cap space  from previous year , can be rolled over to the following year.

as i understand it, shelly can be traded this season for a cap savings of about 8 million.  he can also stay with the team at which point they will probably release him assuming he's not traded.  he can also be franchised but that would require he be paid a huge amount of money for what would amount to an additional season.  the jets are kind of in a hard place.  shelly may not be worth much more than a 3rd round pick and that could be what they would get as a compensory pick if he were released.

the other part is to keep shelly with wilk and leo will severely skew the salary cap resources towards the dline.  imo too much is currently committed and they are only getting away with it because they haven't paid squat for a qb for the past 7 seasons.

I would honestly consider a way of trying to keep Richardson and somehow being able to dump or trade fatfuk Mo within the next year, Even if it means taking a hit.

mind you I don't follow the cap but just saying. I'd much rather Richardson instead of Mo on the team long term.

they already blew it paying Mo and letting Snacks go, incompetent Fuks they are

So it seems like the Jets have to trade Sheldon. They never got in a groove with Wilk, Williams and Sheldon. Wilk got paid. Williams is younger, so Sheldon is on the way out most likely. A few questions, maybe we will get lucky and Jason will see this.

In theory we would get a good comp pick for Sheldon however if we let him go next season when we have lots of cap space we will also need to spend it. Next season would be a bad time to let him walk in free agency. His trade value might be low right now and last years rumor was there was more interest in wilk than Sheldon. I always liked wilk more personally but if our goal is to get younger and build for the future maybe it would be better to ship wilk and his big contract away. Only problem with that is I have a gut feeling Richardson is going to play free agency like revis did and hold out for every penny.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

32 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

In theory we would get a good comp pick for Sheldon however if we let him go next season when we have lots of cap space we will also need to spend it. Next season would be a bad time to let him walk in free agency. His trade value might be low right now and last years rumor was there was more interest in wilk than Sheldon. I always liked wilk more personally but if our goal is to get younger and build for the future maybe it would be better to ship wilk and his big contract away. Only problem with that is I have a gut feeling Richardson is going to play free agency like revis did and hold out for every penny.

When Revis held out at least he was playing well.  Richardson and Wilkerson both under performed last year.  If Richardson plays the same way he did last year and holds out he is nuts....

3 minutes ago, LWC611 said:

When Revis held out at least he was playing well.  Richardson and Wilkerson both under performed last year.  If Richardson plays the same way he did last year and holds out he is nuts....

To be fair, Mo had his best year as a pro in 2015, and got hurt in our last game. Just on the performance issue, it wasn't crazy to keep him. 

Just now, section314 said:

To be fair, Mo had his best year as a pro in 2015, and got hurt in our last game. Just on the performance issue, it wasn't crazy to keep him. 

I agree with you about MO and hopefully he is healthy this season. But I still believe that last year he under performed.  

46 minutes ago, LWC611 said:

I agree with you about MO and hopefully he is healthy this season. But I still believe that last year he under performed.  

Oh, I agree 100%. My point was coming off his best year, i totally see why we resigned him. But to your point, 100%.

1 hour ago, HessStation said:

I would honestly consider a way of trying to keep Richardson and somehow being able to dump or trade fatfuk Mo within the next year, Even if it means taking a hit.

mind you I don't follow the cap but just saying. I'd much rather Richardson instead of Mo on the team long term.

I get this but I'm pretty convinced Wilk will have a bounce back year. Seems these players go back to playing way before they are completely healed. Similar to Jadevon Clowney, who was injured and was basically written off as a bust. He got healthy and helped his team get into the post season. I'm pretty sure we will see a similar resurgence from Wilk this year. I also think Richardson will always be a gigantic nutjob and always be a suspension risk. If not I will join you in F-mo movement ..

29 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

I get this but I'm pretty convinced Wilk will have a bounce back year. Seems these players go back to playing way before they are completely healed. Similar to Jadevon Clowney, who was injured and was basically written off as a bust. He got healthy and helped his team get into the post season. I'm pretty sure we will see a similar resurgence from Wilk this year. I also think Richardson will always be a gigantic nutjob and always be a suspension risk. If not I will join you in F-mo movement ..

Agree with this completely.  Wilk had a down year, but considering it's coming off an injury and he had 5 good years before that, he's a rare exception of a Jet I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt.  Richardson is a douche, a suspension waiting to happen and has had down years of his own.  He's the bigger risk of the two, with it being very questionable whether he provides any additional benefit, and is the one without a contract.  With the only exception of them both playing this year and Sheldon significantly outperforming Mo, there's little incentive to make this an even bigger mess.

Besides, the bottom line is that Williams is already the best of the 3, and he's not going anywhere anytime soon, so might as well get something back for one of the other two in the meantime.

The Jets are totally screwed with the shel rich situation no matter what they do.  This is pay day year so he is going to have a big year no matter who he plays for.  If he leaves and has a big year the jets will get killed for letting him go.  If they  keep him and he has a big year they will be under big pressure to resign him.  They will get killed if they let him go for a comp pick after having a huge year.

The year after he makes his coin he will totally check out and be a dog.

We are not getting rid of mo wilk.  no team is going to trade for him and his 'injury' is massively over played, he dogged it last year.  Late or missed meetings and such.

2 hours ago, HessStation said:

I am of this same mindset

3 hours ago, rangerous said:

as i understand it, shelly can be traded this season for a cap savings of about 8 million.  he can also stay with the team at which point they will probably release him assuming he's not traded.  he can also be franchised but that would require he be paid a huge amount of money for what would amount to an additional season.  the jets are kind of in a hard place.  shelly may not be worth much more than a 3rd round pick and that could be what they would get as a compensory pick if he were released.

the other part is to keep shelly with wilk and leo will severely skew the salary cap resources towards the dline.  imo too much is currently committed and they are only getting away with it because they haven't paid squat for a qb for the past 7 seasons.

They are not releasing him.  Why the **** would they release him?  If they wanted to release him they could have done it any time before March 9 and he doesn't cost them anything.  They cut him now and they are on the hook for his guarantee.  Do you mean they won't sign him next year?  That isn't released.  He will be a FA.  Franchising him would be nutty.  They already have too much at the position and way too much money.

5 hours ago, The Crusher said:

My only gripe with this is, if you take away intangilbes, or lack there of from both players, Richardson is, by far, the superior talent out of the two, imo. 

...plus he's a little younger.

Richardson has already made comments along the lines of he is happy wilk got a big contract because he will get more...the guy is going to be a pain to resign.

On 3/23/2017 at 1:03 AM, Maxman said:

Sure, but the idea of building through FA is not. Not really.  Soem cap room is good, of course, to keep good players.  But so few FAs really cut it.

Archived