Any chance the Jets carry 4 QB's again?

AFJF

Can't help but wonder if they'd do it a second season in a row since they know McCown is only here for one year and would once again have only Petty and Hack unless they draft another QB this season.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Can't help but wonder if they'd do it a second season in a row since they know McCown is only here for one year and would once again have only Petty and Hack unless they draft another QB this season.

I can see it happening. 

On one hand I can see Macc cutting Petty if they draft another QB and move forward with Hack, the draft pick and McCown. I could also see them keeping Petty and still drafting a QB. 

'I dont have a problem with Macc drafting every season until he hits, I even stated a method in which he could do it. This McCown signing has really put me over the top with frustration and it can either keep us from drafting a QB this year, cutting a guy in Petty that we know nothing about or having 4 QB's on the 53 again. 

12 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Zero chance as it isn't feasible to carry four Qb's on an NFL roster.   Those 3 and fourth Qb get no development time during the season.( as coaches more worried about getting starter ready for this week game).    The trend in the NFL, is to carry only two Qb's on 53 man roster.( With a Qb on the practice squad).    You lose your starting Qb, your season pretty much done .(very impressive that Patriots were able to absorb the lost of Brady for four weeks).

The Jets draft a Qb in this year draft high, than you can bet Petty will likely be the Qb most likely the one who will be cut. ( that's what you're  looking at).

5 minutes ago, Raideraholic said:

Zero chance as it isn't feasible to carry four Qb's on an NFL roster.   Those 3 and fourth Qb get no development time during the season.( as coaches more worried about getting starter ready for this week game).    The trend in the NFL, is to carry only two Qb's on 53 man roster.( With a Qb on the practice squad).    You lose your starting Qb, your season pretty much done .(very impressive that Patriots were able to absorb the lost of Brady for four weeks).

The Jets draft a Qb in this year draft high, than you can bet Petty will likely be the Qb most likely the one who will be cut. ( that's what you're  looking at).

You say that like the Jets didn't just do it this past season.  It may not be desirable, but it's obviously 100% feasible.

4 minutes ago, AFJF said:

You say that like the Jets didn't just do it this past season.  It may not be desirable, but it's obviously 100% feasible.

That was a big mistake , that they won't make again.    Football is a very violent game that you're going to have injuries.   You want to have depth at important positions .      ( A lot of NFL teams hope you carry four Qb's again) 

In most cases you lose your starting Qb your season over with.   

Just now, Raideraholic said:

That was a big mistake , that they won't make again.    Football is a very violent game that you're going to have injuries.   You want to have depth at important positions .      ( A lot of NFL teams hope you carry four Qb's again) 

In most cases you lose your starting Qb your season over with.   

When asked late in the season if carrying 4 QB's was a mistake, Bowles said they should've carried 5.

3 minutes ago, Raideraholic said:

The Jets draft a Qb in this year draft high, than you can bet Petty will likely be the Qb most likely the one who will be cut. ( that's what your looking at).

Given Macc's history with this position as well as the fact that he actually had 4 QB's on the roster last year, I wouldnt go as far as saying that there's zero chance though you do bring up a valid point. 

You said it yourself, those 3rd and 4th string QB's get no development, yet Macc drafted Hack in the 2nd round and named him the 4th string  and this year just signed Josh McCown...and I doubt it was for McCown to be the 3rd stringer. Macc drafted a developmental project yet isnt putting him in position to develop because he's too busy overpaying vet quarterbacks to be mentors. 

Also, if the latter part of your statement is correct then this is precisely why im just about finished with Macc. 

1 minute ago, AFJF said:

When asked late in the season if carrying 4 QB's was a mistake, Bowles said they should've carried 5.

I heard my coach make that comment, I would be very worried.     Let's see how many Qb's the Jets carry.  ( guarantee it won't be four- it isn't smart .

Just now, Raideraholic said:

I heard my coach make that comment, I would be very worried.     Let's see how many Qb's the Jets carry.  ( guarantee it won't be four- it isn't smart .

I'm not worried.  It was tongue in cheek.

I don't think they'll carry 4 either, but I wouldn't completely rule it out.

18 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Also, if the latter part of your statement is correct then this is precisely why im just about finished with Macc. 

No team has fool proof blueprint when it involves The Qb position.( hardest position to draft, as you almost have to get lucky) See Zak Prescott. 

No general manager wants to admit they made a mistake drafting a Qb high(wasted a second round pick). Doesn't look good as it puts a bulls eye on their back with their  owner.

The biggest mistake the Jets GM can make is denying his mistake.    Keep perpertrating the lie, that he could be longterm answer at Qb.   The success ratio for Radically changing a Qb total mechanics isn't very high.      

The Jets should ignore what the experts say about this year Qb class ( see Marriotta) , wasting a second round pick on Hackenberg, and draft a Qb high if they think Watson or the North Carolina Qb could eventually be franchise Qb.

Finding that franchise Qb goes a long way to improving your team outlook very fast.  

19 minutes ago, Raideraholic said:

No team has fool proof blueprint when it involves The Qb position.( hardest position to draft, as you almost have to get lucky) See Zak Prescott. 

No general manager wants to admit they made a mistake drafting a Qb high(wasted a second round pick). Doesn't look good as it puts a bulls eye on their back with their  owner.

The biggest mistake the Jets GM can make is denying his mistake.    Keep perpertrating the lie, that he could be longterm answer at Qb.   The success ratio for Radically changing a Qb total mechanics isn't very high.      

The Jets should ignore what the experts say about this year Qb class ( see Marriotta) , wasting a second round pick on Hackenberg, and draft a Qb high if they think Watson or the North Carolina Qb could eventually be franchise Qb.

There's a difference between making an error and doing what Macc's done. Macc drafted a developmental QB last year making him the #3, and Macc still found a way not to move on and resign a bridge QB to starter money and made a developmental QB the #4. Macc turns around and instead of just moving forward with the two QB's he's allegedly put time into the past 3 years total he finds a reason to sign another terrible quarterback and once again takes Hackenberg right out of the opportunity to develop by getting reps. 

This isnt a guy who made a mistake, this is a guy who thinks his mistakes are actually the correct thing to do. That's the problem. Making a mistake and correcting it would be like signing Osweiler to a stupid-big contract, realizing that it was a stupid-big mistake and then the very next season finding a way to get him off your team and off your books. 

Macc would be the guy to give Osweiler a raise, or cut him and have all that dead money on the books only to then sign a guy like....well, McCown. lol. 

There are mistakes, then there's Mike Maccagnan. 

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

i don't know enough to know all the tricks.  is it possible for them to stash petty on the ir or pup list so he wouldn't have to go through waivers?  i am assuming they draft a qb this year so they will have 4 available for camp.

To put a player on IR  , you have to first put him on waivers .( 24 hour window-  any team could claim him).     If the Jets cut Hackenberg the last cuts , there is a very good chance he would make it to their practice squad.   Teams aren't putting a Qb on their 53 man roster , that doesn't know their play book.    

Week 11 the Jets would have to elevate him from practice squad( if goal is to keep him) because that is the time when some team season over already , and they are looking to next year.( that's when most team poach practice squad talent).

Pup list- as long at that player didn't practice once in training camp he can stay on the pup list.( don't have to cut)   Has to miss the first six games , and than team has to decide what they want to do with him.

Carrying 4 QB's through training camp is fine, but it would be stupid roster management to do that

again for the regular season.  If we draft a QB that's fine, have a battle in camp for the third spot

and most likely cut/trade Petty because they aren't going to get rid of Hackenberg or the rookie 

1 hour ago, Raideraholic said:

Finding that franchise Qb goes a long way to improving your team outlook very fast.  

Link? 

And yes, of course there is a chance.  They did it last year and I wouldnt be surprised if they took another late round flier and kept all 4 again.

You know teams will be hovering like vultures for the chance to get their hands on Petty or Hack.  Cant let that happen.  

1 hour ago, Villain The Foe said:

I can see it happening. 

On one hand I can see Macc cutting Petty if they draft another QB and move forward with Hack, the draft pick and McCown. I could also see them keeping Petty and still drafting a QB. 

'I dont have a problem with Macc drafting every season until he hits, I even stated a method in which he could do it. This McCown signing has really put me over the top with frustration and it can either keep us from drafting a QB this year, cutting a guy in Petty that we know nothing about or having 4 QB's on the 53 again. 

I wouldn't get to revved up over that. I think it's important to have at least one experienced veteran who can mentor the young QB's. That doesn't mean they won't start one of the young guys. It could even mean that Mac WILL draft a QB. My logic to that is that he didn't acquire a better QB (albeit marginally) than McCown. That doesn't make sense to me. I find it hard to believe they would purposely tank, but it would make some sense if he intended to draft a QB. Then, I think, Petty would be toast.

You never know what Mac will do. I'm hoping they draft Watson and give Petty the gate. I just don't see Petty as a viable starter in this league. I'm not all that confident in him as a competent backup either. I could see Petty cut if they draft Watson(or any other QB) and McCown starting the first part of the season with Hack or the drafted QB starting after they are out of contention. Which with their schedule should be right around week 5 or 6. The one worry I have is that Bowles will start McCown all season because he wants to win games. If they draft a 1st round QB and McCown is still starting by week 7 or 8 Bowles should be fired immediately.

Obviously the Jets went with four last year, so it's possible they do it again.  But there were reasons for that last year that won't necessarily repeat even if the Jets do go high in the draft for a Qb.

Like this year, the Jets were not prepared to start the season with Petty, and Hackenberg in camp made it immediately apparent he was not going to be ready, either.  The key actually was that Smith was on the last year of a rookie deal, and they wanted Fitz all along.  If they had to sign Smith to a new contract last off season, they would not have and would have gone with three.  It was really Smith's situation and that the other two were not ready.

This year they know quite a lot more about Petty.  Unfortunately it is not good news.  On the other hand Smith is gone, and that is excellent news.  So they sign McCown, and still have an unproven second round pick in Hack on the roster. 

Says here if Trubinsky falls to the Jets at 6, they'd be fools not to take him, which raises the prospect of four Qb's.  But I think that sorts itself out in camp.  If Hack shows any real development and Petty does not, Petty will most likely be gone.  The real risk is if Petty looks better, what then?  Is there a real prospect they might cut Hack if he looks bad enough in camp?

The right answer is yes, but that scenario does raise the prospect of four since it would be hard for Macc to cut Hack.

My guess is Petty would show no improvement and if Trubinsky is picked, Petty will be cut.

For a team contending, you need every roster spot.  

For a team rebuilding, it is common to have players on the 53 being developed that you don't want to expose.  Dakota Dozier has been around 3 years.   I don't see the big deal starting the season with 4 QBs.  It gets sorted by midseason.  Someone will get hurt.  

We should definitely have a ps QB, like Torgersen from Penn.   

I also don't get how they can only give 2 QBs reps.  Hire Jordan Palmer and have him work with qb3 and 4 and the ps WRs.  This is a billion dollar organization.  It's not that hard.  

a real team would not carry 4 qbs so yes the jets will have 4 maybe even 5 and they will all suck

their "big" FA signing is made of glass and the cheapest kind of class that breaks when the wind blows.

petty sucks and hackenburg is worse-they will waste another draft pick on a qb that cant play and when mccown gets hurt they will sign cutler

mac is terrible even the kicker he signed is terrible and that is shame considering we like to kick fgs down 45

If the Jets take a QB in the first two rounds, that would suggest they've got very little faith in Hackenberg. I'd think in that scenario, Petty and Hack would be fighting for a roster spot. If they take a QB later, they'd probably still have some faith in Hack, and Petty and the draft pick would be in a battle for a roster spot. Drafting another QB at all would suggest that they're not completely happy with either Hack or Petty, which is entirely possible, and in that case one of them should be cut. Conversely, not drafting a QB at all would suggest that they're fairly content with the two kids which, you'd hope, would be a good scenario. 

If they're not in love with the guys who might be available at #6 overall, I hope they pass on the position completely. Bring in an UDFA as the fourth camp arm, and if that kid shows anything, stash him on the practice squad. 

4 minutes ago, slats said:

If the Jets take a QB in the first two rounds, that would suggest they've got very little faith in Hackenberg. I'd think in that scenario, Petty and Hack would be fighting for a roster spot. If they take a QB later, they'd probably still have some faith in Hack, and Petty and the draft pick would be in a battle for a roster spot. Drafting another QB at all would suggest that they're not completely happy with either Hack or Petty, which is entirely possible, and in that case one of them should be cut. Conversely, not drafting a QB at all would suggest that they're fairly content with the two kids which, you'd hope, would be a good scenario. 

If they're not in love with the guys who might be available at #6 overall, I hope they pass on the position completely. Bring in an UDFA as the fourth camp arm, and if that kid shows anything, stash him on the practice squad. 

If they take Watson at 6 or someone other than Watson, Kiser or Mahomes at 39 I agree with this.  They would be reaching for a QB.  

Trubisky at 6 or Kizer, Watson or Mahomes at 39 are good value for a QB needy teem.  I don't think the view on Hack is negative.   I think it is uncertain.  They should take a good value QB.  They can always trade someone for something close to break even.   The Patriots drafted Garoppolo late second, and they can get a lot more than that for him.  

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Link? 

It's common sense for  anyone who watched any kind of football.     The Qb is the most important position in a Qb driven league.   Ask any GM if they can hit on one pick, it would be Qb position every time. 

That's why until you find your Qb, you keep drafting them high.    People thought the Redskins were dumb for taking K Cousins in the same draft they took Rg111.      Well looks who there Qb now, and who doesn't have a job. 

Archived