Any chance the Jets carry 4 QB's again?

AFJF

On 3/23/2017 at 2:46 PM, Big Blocker said:

Idzik's worst sin imo was going into Smith's second year despite his bad performance and letting Carr go in the draft when he could have picked him.  He was too invested in proving that picking Smith in the second round was a good pick.

The net result is Smith is now off the Jets and Carr is a real rising star in the league.  The Raiders have a franchise Qb and the Jets do not.

Let's hope IF Trubinsky falls to the Jets, Macc does not pull an Idzik.

you want trubisky at 6?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/23/2017 at 6:50 AM, AFJF said:

Can't help but wonder if they'd do it a second season in a row since they know McCown is only here for one year and would once again have only Petty and Hack unless they draft another QB this season.

No. Not a chance.

If they draft a QB it means Petty is getting cut.

1 hour ago, jbeachboy said:

who wouldnt be in favor of that, petty is 3rd string quarterback in nfl at best.

Yeah, I like the kid but he isn't # 1 material. Not sure if Hack will be either. But he gets the next shot to prove himself either way.

Since McCown is injury prone, and Petty is coming off a pretty serious injury, if Jets draft a QB high in round 1, then possibly Petty would be put in short term IR, and then they decide after 6-8 games whether or not he or someone else comes back this season since they don't have to designate up front who comes back from short term IR.

9 minutes ago, Larz said:

What was the coaches name?

Same name as the assistant who called Tim Tebow "garbage" during the 2012 season - Anonymous

But Tebow got cut just a few months later.  Hopefully hack gets cut too soon so we can focus on constructuve things like actually making this team not a joke

49 minutes ago, thadude said:

Same name as the assistant who called Tim Tebow "garbage" during the 2012 season - Anonymous

But Tebow got cut just a few months later.  Hopefully hack gets cut too soon so we can focus on constructuve things like actually making this team not a joke

oh.

On 3/23/2017 at 0:36 PM, Tinstar said:

Agree on the 1st point . Agree with the 2nd point .Disagree with the 3rd point .Really, those 2 rosters were alike and stayed that way all year . The kid followed the orders he was given and that makes him a good soldier .Maybe you and others can't understand this, but his orders were for the benefit of the team and him . Exactly what good does it do to put a QB who's best attribute is his mental ability on the field when he's a mental wreck ?

Ahh..IMO it had little to do with his mental state and more to do with the fact that the NYJ had a plan for Hack, but that plan didn't factor in the major suckitude of the QBs play last year or the injuries.  Face it, Hack had no meaningful reps all season last year, not even as the backup.  Playing the kid in the last game would have been a disservice.  Personally, I don't think the Jets Brass and CS even entertained it (which IMO was wise given the circumstances etc and Hack's lack of reps).

1 hour ago, thadude said:

I think hack gets cut

If Gary Myers' article is true things are getting ugly in Jet-land and the coaches know Hack is a sunk cost waiting

Even if true, the 'sunk cost' was a 2nd rd DP.

Wasted opportunity, yup.  But not catastrophic.

Sure they'll give him a chance and we'll all see first hand in PS.

It really has no direct bearing on whether the Jets go high draft pick for a Qb, but there is a problem with the current rotation.  The problem is that while Petty is not likely to become a quality starter, they really do not know between him and Hackenberg who the better prospect is.  Petty very well might turn out to be a decent backup, spot starter.  Hack might not even become that. 

As it stands right now, I would tend to agree that if the draft a Qb, then Petty is likely either a goner or perhaps goes on IR, which will not help his development.  BUt we can't rule out that the Jets may have already decided Hack is a sunk cost. 

13 hours ago, Larz said:

Petty is toast if they bring in a 4th

Thats my take as well.

He played poorly, and was fragile, last year.  And I frankly don't think the FO is very high on him at this point.

I could be wrong, but I think the team goes Hack/McCown/Draftee if we draft a QB, and Petty is cut loose to fall out of the league or find a home on another teams practice squad.

11 hours ago, greenwave81 said:

Ahh..IMO it had little to do with his mental state and more to do with the fact that the NYJ had a plan for Hack, but that plan didn't factor in the major suckitude of the QBs play last year or the injuries.  Face it, Hack had no meaningful reps all season last year, not even as the backup.  Playing the kid in the last game would have been a disservice.  Personally, I don't think the Jets Brass and CS even entertained it (which IMO was wise given the circumstances etc and Hack's lack of reps).

He didn't have any reps that weren't meaningful either.  

Still not sure why people think Petty is going to get cut instead.  Blind faith?  

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

Thats my take as well.

He played poorly, and was fragile, last year.  And I frankly don't think the FO is very high on him at this point.

I could be wrong, but I think the team goes Hack/McCown/Draftee if we draft a QB, and Petty is cut loose to fall out of the league or find a home on another teams practice squad.

Petty could find a spot on the Jets Practice Squad, if they so chose.

Understanding that the Jets are starting with a new offensive system in 2017, so Petty is in a pretty similar place as with rookie QB, I don't know what other team puts him on their 53.  

14 hours ago, greenwave81 said:

Yeah better to learn by doing nothing,.  The jets had no plan at all for hack last year.  Anyone buying into this he was to be redshirted fro the begging are naive.  They stuck him in a closet and said we are too busty to do anything with you go read the play book.  They then said 'We are so terrified of playing you that even in the last game of a nothing year we will not put you in.

That kind of thing is FAR worse on a guys confidence than actually sticking him in and letting him get bashed around a bit.

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Yeah better to learn by doing nothing,.  The jets had no plan at all for hack last year.  Anyone buying into this he was to be redshirted fro the begging are naive.  They stuck him in a closet and said we are too busty to do anything with you go read the play book.  They then said 'We are so terrified of playing you that even in the last game of a nothing year we will not put you in.

That kind of thing is FAR worse on a guys confidence than actually sticking him in and letting him get bashed around a bit.

I get your general point.  But I don't think there is nothing to the notion they were concerned about his confidence.  The problem is that makes more sense if you think they have even lower expectations about him than otherwise.

If Hackenberg had gone in the last game, I don't think the Jet fans would have had a very high level of expectations about his play.  Everyone knew he'd not been getting a lot of practice reps, and would have likely only gotten one week working with the first team.  All he really had to do was take the field and not drop a dump on it.  I doubt even if he threw an interception or two that he would have been booed much.  As long as he otherwise looked like he just might belong out there.

So the thinking is the team was concerned he wouldn't be able to meet that lower standard of expectations.  Otherwise the logical move would have been to play him, since as you point out he might have learned something if he played.  There was really nothing to lose in that game as far as the team was concerned.  Better to get that first game in when there are questions about you when the pressure is relatively lower, as compared to say some game early in the coming season when, even just on the math, the team is still in it.

But no. 

Archived