What is a "mentor" QB really?

Villain The Foe

9 hours ago, rangerous said:

here's where you are wrong.  i said spot starter meaning hack or petty or whomever is missing a game.  mcknown's stats are not all that bad when you consider the teams he's played for.  his last two stints of note were with a very poor tampa team followed by an equally poor cleveland team.  prior to that his record was nearly .500.  imo mccown will not screw up a game if he comes in.  and consider this, if he does come in it means that hack or petty or whomever has been ineffective or beat up.  the game will probably be out of reach.

so i don't really understand why you have taken this stance.  i guess you never watched any of the 70's jets teams with joe willie playing qb. point being if the rest of the team is pitiful no amount of good quarter back is going to change the outcome.

Here's where I think I'm right. You don't pay a guy 6 million dollars for that type of role. 

Even if I could see eye to eye with your point, you can't then turn around to me and say "by the way, we have to pay that guy, with that history, for this role...6 million guaranteed". That clearly would have been a joke to me.

Not when better QB's or QB's with more potential are also signing for similar roles at a fraction of the price. No way in hell I'm signing McCown, and certainly not for that price.

You are correct about those games in the 70's. I wasn't born yet lol.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree 100% about this overblown mentoring nonsense. 

While i can see a naive and green 22 year old needing some guidance, wouldnt he get that just the same from vets on the o line, wrs, rbs and coaches? Do we really need another guy, especially a failure to chime in just because hes also a qb? 

Kinda like a first mate getting promoted to captain and them paying 6m to bring in the captain of that italian ship (the concordia?) to mentor. Why? 

Ill take this a step further...... I dont like the old "give him the  clip board and learn for 2 years" nonsense. If you have the skills, show it and learn on tbe job. Like mariotta and winston

If u cant play you cant play

41 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

I agree 100% about this overblown mentoring nonsense. 

While i can see a naive and green 22 year old needing some guidance, wouldnt he get that just the same from vets on the o line, wrs, rbs and coaches? Do we really need another guy, especially a failure to chime in just because hes also a qb? 

Kinda like a first mate getting promoted to captain and them paying 6m to bring in the captain of that italian ship (the concordia?) to mentor. Why? 

Ill take this a step further...... I dont like the old "give him the  clip board and learn for 2 years" nonsense. If you have the skills, show it and learn on tbe job. Like mariotta and winston

If u cant play you cant play

Exactly. I remember Sanchez talking about how much of a help Nick Mangold was for him when he came in the league. 

3 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

Exactly. I remember Sanchez talking about how much of a help Nick Mangold was for him when he came in the league. 

remember when todd was mentored by namth?  or how about when obrien was mentioned by todd?  anyone remember the fight at studio 54 that gastineau got into? obrien was there and he had to miss training to attend court dates.

Archived