Jets' Todd Bowles attends Ohio State pro day, looking for DBs

Gas2No99

Jets' Todd Bowles attends Ohio State pro day, looking for DBs

One of the hot spots on the NFL draft scouting trail is Ohio State, which has produced a ton of pro talent over the years. Not surprisingly, the New York Jets' top football men -- general manager Mike Maccagnan and coach Todd Bowles -- were among the crowd Thursday at the Ohio State pro day, according to the NFL Network.

Bowles is overhauling his secondary and needs an impact player. He cut Darrelle Revis and signed Morris Claiborne as a one-year Band-Aid, but there's still much work to be done.,

Hooker is not expected to work out at the pro day because he's recovering from two surgeries -- sports hernia and shoulder (labrum). Talent evaluators say it shouldn't affect his draft stock.:unsure:

This is a big day for Lattimore, who has a history of hamstring injuries and reportedly tweaked a hamstring at the scouting combine. He also blazed the 40-yard dash in 4.36 seconds at the combine, confirming his elite athleticism.

Maccagnan likes picking Ohio State players. In fact, two of his three highest-drafted players are former Buckeyes: linebacker Darron Lee (first round, 2016) and wide receiver Devin Smith (second round, 2015).

I'm starting to be VEEEEERY WARY of Hooker now. I'm not as infatuated with him as before after those two surgeries and his lack of tackling prowess.

Lattimore is Sweet Dee Part Deux. Jets need a CERTIFIED STUD (I'm not eligible for the draft this year) if they keep and draft @ #6. 

I'm starting to inch over to the Offensive Playmaker side (as opposed to BPA) and am warming up to OJ Howard or Corey Davis (I don't trust Clemson players).

3 minutes ago, detectivekimble said:

Maccagnan isn't drafting Hooker or Lattimore.  If Hooker was healthy and worked out well, it might have been a possibility.  But not now.

Hope you are right. 

Perhaps is to scout and eventually draft NY's WU-TANG MEMBA': RAEKWON MACMILLAN!!!!

raekwon-wu-tang-marijuana.jpg

35 minutes ago, detectivekimble said:

Maccagnan isn't drafting Hooker or Lattimore.  If Hooker was healthy and worked out well, it might have been a possibility.  But not now.

Depends on who else is available, hooker is probably still going to be the best talent but if there's a pass rusher like solomon thomas there it will be hard to say no

Just now, Adoni Beast said:

I think Hooker will be fine. His injuries aren't severe. He will be a game changer in this league, ed reed/change field position with ints/pick 6 type of player. We desperately need that.

My worry about him is that he is raw. I would prefer Adams over Hooker

2 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Adams is definitely a more sure thing, more well-rounded player. He can tackle, blitz, and cover.

But if Hooker reaches his potential he's a home run.

It reminds me of Darron Lee and Deion Jones. Lee has more potential than Jones because Lee is bigger; but he is raw and it showed this year. Jones is more well rounded and ready to start and you saw that. Same schools too in these situations

Now people here were unhappy with Darron Lee. I can see his potential. The difference is that we picked Lee late in the first round. There you can play with potential a bit. Now we're picking in the top ten. You can't mess around with potential in the top ten. Give me Adams

besides QB the Jets' biggest need might actually be FS. Hooker isn't a perfect prospect but the Jets have no one to cover the deep third in fact I don't think they have a safety on the roster who knows that the safety's biggest job is to not let the deep guy get behind him. 

Kimberley A. Martin‏

Wasn't just Bowles + Macc at Ohio State's pro day. Was told practically "entire #Jets org" was in attendance (i.e., lots of scouts+coaches)

Also heard new OC John Morton was at Stanford's pro day ... And #Jets reps spent a lot of time w/ RB Donnel Pumphrey at San Diego St pro day

9 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Also heard new OC John Morton was at Stanford's pro day ... And #Jets reps spent a lot of time w/ RB Donnel Pumphrey at San Diego St pro day

Perhaps checking out his "Darren Sproles-like utility RB" which was key in the Saints' offense:

2 hours ago, bitonti said:

besides QB the Jets' biggest need might actually be FS. Hooker isn't a perfect prospect but the Jets have no one to cover the deep third in fact I don't think they have a safety on the roster who knows that the safety's biggest job is to not let the deep guy get behind him. 

Are you serious? We can't get to the QB from the edge and FS is the biggest need? Nope.

2 hours ago, Larz said:

he better ******* be there, OSU is like the NFL minor leagues

This sums it up nicely.

The premise of this article is kind of goofy since one of the DB's presumably isn't even working out and OSU has all kind of prospects.

Could see the center, the not tiny linebacker, the RB/WR hybrid, and even the younger WR who declared too early potentially drawing interest.

Hooker would make me anxious at 6 (though they could do worse things) but if they drop down a little he's certainly an exciting prospect and would fill a big need.

I'm sure there's a spot in the draft to take an absurdly gifted corner who also has chronic hamstring issues. I sure hope it's not six.Some good corner is going to fall to their spot in the second round. Good to do HW on Conley.

Linebacker Raekwon McMillan also looked good in position drills.  He was not only smooth and fast but showed a lot of ability moving laterally and pedaling in reverse during coverage drills.

Primarily stamped as a two down defender, scouts on hand felt McMillan showed just enough to make them believe he has three down potential.  He had dinner with the New York Jets and their defensive coordinator last night and McMillan interviewed with the entire staff of the New Orleans Saints.

Pro Day March 23: Ohio State | Draft Analyst from Tony Pauline’s Tweet 

10 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

Hope you are right. 

Perhaps is to scout and eventually draft NY's WU-TANG MEMBA': RAEKWON MACMILLAN!!!!

raekwon-wu-tang-marijuana.jpg

2 hours ago, C Mart said:

Linebacker Raekwon McMillan also looked good in position drills.  He was not only smooth and fast but showed a lot of ability moving laterally and pedaling in reverse during coverage drills.

Primarily stamped as a two down defender, scouts on hand felt McMillan showed just enough to make them believe he has three down potential.  He had dinner with the New York Jets and their defensive coordinator last night and McMillan interviewed with the entire staff of the New Orleans Saints.

Pro Day March 23: Ohio State | Draft Analyst from Tony Pauline’s Tweet 

NICE! Called it. B)

Archived