With the 6th pick

1 hour ago, Lil Woody said:

Our OL is not that bad. I'd agree it's a stupid pick to take a RB at 6, but not for that reason.

I am with you, I think there is young talent on the OLine. I am happy with both guards. I am optimistic about Right Tackle. Left tackle won't be any worse than last year.

Center is interesting, if Wesley puts on weight and gets stronger I think they are going to be fine. The coaches saw him for weeks, so they obviously feel comfortable letting him start.

Just now, Maxman said:

I am with you, I think there is young talent on the OLine. I am happy with both guards. I am optimistic about Right Tackle. Left tackle won't be any worse than last year.

Center is interesting, if Wesley puts on weight and gets stronger I think they are going to be fine. The coaches saw him for weeks, so they obviously feel comfortable letting him start.

Yeah. And we as Jets fans also have a very odd view of the center position. We have been spoiled. From Fields, to Mawae to Mangold.  It seems we have always had exceptional talent at the position. People don't know what to do when we don't have an all-pro at the position.

37 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

So that means he has to like every one that in the HOF??:blink: Martin has the most yards compiled because he had the most carries what other Jet RB category does he lead in?? 

LOL.  He has the most yards because he has the most carries. This is hysterical.

Jerry Rice only had so many yards because they threw him the ball so much? No idea why they kept handing the ball to Curtis. Why did the 49ers throw to Jerry so much?

Dan Marino passed for all those yards. He only had that many passing yards because he threw so much lol.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Lil Woody said:

Yeah. And we as Jets fans also have a very odd view of the center position. We have been spoiled. From Fields, to Mawae to Mangold.  It seems we have always had exceptional talent at the position. People don't know what to do when we don't have an all-pro at the position.

My son played Center in high school and offensive tackle in college. So I spend an odd amount of time just watching the offensive lineman. There is so much pressure on the center. I was happy with Wesley last year but I think his strength needs to improve. And it would be nice if the Jets can somehow continue the string of good centers.

1 minute ago, Maxman said:

LOL.  He has the most yards because he has the most carries. This is hysterical.

Jerry Rice only had so many yards because they threw him the ball so much? No idea why they kept handing the ball to Curtis. Why did the 49ers throw to Jerry so much?

Dan Marino passed for all those yards. He only had that many passing yards because he threw so much lol.

So according to Max facts since Vinny has more passing yds and TD's then Montana he's a better QB??:wacko:

2 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

So according to Max facts since Vinny has more passing yds and TD's then Montana he's a better QB??:wacko:

I didn't say that. You said, "Martin has the most yards compiled because he had the most carries" and I think that is funny. The guy stayed healthy and ran for 1,000 yards every year. Made the pro bowl a bunch of times. Was the oldest player to lead the league in rushing. Never caused a problem. Never had a scandal that hurt the team. Was a role model for his teammates and was recognized with the courage award.

But you boil it down to he had a lot of yards because he had a lot of carries. Guess what? Guys who aren't really good, don't get to carry the ball a lot.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Maxman said:

I didn't say that. You said, "Martin has the most yards compiled because he had the most carries" and I think that is funny. The guy stayed healthy and ran for 1,000 yards every year. Made the pro bowl a bunch of times. Was the oldest player to lead the league in rushing. Never caused a problem. Never had a scandal that hurt the team. Was a role model for his teammates and was recognized with the courage award.

But you boil it down to he had a lot of yards because he had a lot of carries. Guess what? Guys who aren't really good, don't get to carry the ball a lot.

I have typically found that the "anti-Curtis" movement can be boiled down to just one reason.  He didn't have that elite speed, 5th gear. If anyone has any other reason not related to that, I'd love to hear the argument.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Lil Woody said:

Our OL is not that bad. I'd agree it's a stupid pick to take a RB at 6, but not for that reason.

why is it stupid? No position is stupid if the player is legit, you could use him. Eliminating a position entirely from consideration just because it's #6 is stupid. Plain stupid. 

7 minutes ago, Paradis said:

why is it stupid? No position is stupid if the player is legit, you could use him. Eliminating a position entirely from consideration just because it's #6 is stupid. Plain stupid. 

It's stupid because running back is like the 23rd most important position on a team. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Paradis said:

said no one, ever.

Besides franchises who know what they are doing. The Jets are terrible at important positions like QB, pass rush and corner...taking a running back who cant play on 3rd downs and was too fat to run the agility drills at the combine would be the most Jets thing ever.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Maxman said:

Martin was the only Jet RB in history that called the Jets a bottom of the barrel team that he never wanted to play for..As a Jet he barely avg 4 ypc and avg 7 or 8 tds a year for his time with the Jets..The Tuna and a poison pill contract was the only reason he came from the Pats to the Jets and would have gone to the Cowboys when the Tuna coached there if his contract made it impossible to move him ...

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2012/07/curtis_martin_never_liked_foot.html

4 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Besides franchises who know what they are doing. The Jets are terrible at important positions like QB, pass rush and corner...taking a running back who cant play on 3rd downs and was too fat to run the agility drills at the combine would be the most Jets thing ever.

I didn't say Fournette was the answer. I did say maintaining a belligerent perspective like yours, is stupid. Cause it is. Lets see... Cornerback who can't stay healthy, no tackles to speak of. Quarterbacks who need an analytics team on LSD to come up with reasons why they're good, and some redundant linemen... It soooo clear to me now. thank you. 

You take the best player at a position of need. It doesn't fcking matter what position that is. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

Martin was the only Jet RB in history that called the Jets a bottom of the barrel team that he never wanted to play for..As a Jet he barely avg 4 ypc and avg 7 or 8 tds a year for his time with the Jets..The Tuna and a poison pill contract was the only reason he came from the Pats to the Jets and would have gone to the Cowboys when the Tuna coached there if his contract made it impossible to move him ...

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2012/07/curtis_martin_never_liked_foot.html

Wait, a player that followed the money? No way. :)

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

Because it's a passing league and you don't need a great running back.  You can win a super bowl with a decent RB or 2 it happens every year almost

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

Main problem and reason why none of us will ever get to see the jets ever win a super bowl

Hey hey how many Super Bowls have Adrian Peterson and Ladainian Tomlinson won?

How many has Joe Thomas won? Larry Fitz? Peppers,, etc etc

The only position that directly correlates to championships, is QB... show me a Manning this year and i'll take a hike

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, thadude said:

Yawn

Hey hey how many Super Bowls have Adrian Peterson and Ladainian Tomlinson won?

As many as Philip Rivers, Matt Ryan, Matt Stafford, Cam Newton ...

You can play that game with any position.

Since 2000, there have been TWENTY ONE QBs drafted in the top 6. Only one has won a Superbowl. Should we avoid QB too?

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Paradis said:

How many has Joe Thomas won? Larry Fitz? Peppers,, etc etc

The only position that directly correlates to championships, is QB... show me a Manning this year and i'll take a hike

I guess what you need to ask yourself is what player would you rather protect the QB you expect to land in the 2018 draft with from this year's draft . Or maybe add to the defense you have already assembled .

19 hours ago, jbeachboy said:

fournette deserves to be in that list, he is that good. im not joking, fournette is real deal, he will be right up there with ezekiel elliott next year or better.

No Fournette doesn't deserve to be on that list. The guy hasn't played a down in the NFL and your comparing him HOF'ers. LOL.

Oh and BTW I have also seen Jim Brown, Gale Sayers, OJ Simpson, Marcus Allen, Tony Dorsett, Larry Csonka play just to name a few. Oh and Ezekiel Elliot doesn't belong on that list or anywhere near it until he does it for more than 1 season.

14 minutes ago, thadude said:

I remember the man-love for Gurley on this board two years ago what his ypc last year? 3?

And he had a sensational rookie season. The Rams offense as a whole last year was top 10 worst ever. What's your point?

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

I guess what you need to ask yourself is what player would you rather protect the QB you expect to land in the 2018 draft with from this year's draft . Or maybe add to the defense you have already assembled .

100%.... Ideally, we'd get a LT there @6... but there is none. A great running game certainly helps. Apparently Zeke helped Dak last year, but you wouldn't know it listening to the jackals on this board. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Paradis said:

100%.... Ideally, we'd get a LT there @6... but there is none. A great running game certainly helps. Apparently Zeke helped Dak last year, but you wouldn't know it listening to the jackals on this board. 

Hey do you think that Forrest Lamp would make a good center

1 minute ago, Paradis said:

Not sure. Probably one of those - could he? yes, but should he, no - type situations. He's going to be stalwart somewhere on the line I think. 

I think he's too athletic to waste at OG and RT and his arms are just a tiny bit short for LT .  He's probably a HOF type LG or an all pro center .

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Paradis said:

And he had a sensational rookie season. The Rams offense as a whole last year was top 10 worst ever. What's your point?

Point is there is almost no such thing as a "game changing RB" anymore

It's not 1995 anymore Paradis

3 minutes ago, Ghost said:

PLEASE trade back. PLEASE. 

Sure Macc would love to.

Problem is, just like the last time we picked at #6, I don't see too many can't misses this year at #6 that are going to make others want to pay the cost of the trade; if there was, there'd be consensus on this board as to who were the say 1 or 2 options.  I agree with you, if someone had the hots for Fournette for a team that was only shy a RB say, I'd rather trade back than take a RB at #6...or a S for that matter.

• Upvote 1