Sanchez?

varjet

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sanchez could not have been brought back for obvious reasons, but seeing all these backups sign for 2 mill, or less angers me after we gave McCown 6 mill (all will be forgiven thou as long as he continues the trend of playing for the team who gets the #1 overall pick in the following years draft, BUT I'd be so ******* ecstatic if Hack, or Petty started, and proved to be the future, and then wouldn't care how much we paid McCown, but if McCown wins 2 extra games that the kids wouldn't have to go 4-12, and get the 4th overall pick I'm gonna lose it).

16 minutes ago, varjet said:

OK.  Butt Fumble.  He has been here.

But veteran backup for $2mm?  Jets paid $6mm?  I think you can argue that Sanchez is even better than McCown.

Maybe McCown received a "tank" premium?

Because McCown is not necessarily the back-up... period... End of Story

16 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Sanchez could not have been brought back for obvious reasons,

Why?

He's only the best quarterback we've had since Joe Namath.  Could have had him for $2M instead of paying an outrageous $6M for McCown.

SAR I

Honestly, I have been supportive and patient with Macc but he is starting to lose me.

This is like when Bowles named Fitz the starter before he was even signed.

Macc should have said that Petty and Hack are the starters and they want  a veteran backup.  We will pay per game started.  Sanchez is eligible for playing time bonuses.  Pay him $10mm if he starts every game.  But paying McCown $6mm, PLUS incentives, was too much.

1 minute ago, Adoni Beast said:

He's signing with the Bears.

He signed with the Bears.  That's not the point.

The point is he serves the same role as McCown and was only $2M, not $6M.

Some Jets fans Mets Islanders insecurities over the Buttfumble footage just cost us $4M.

SAR I

27 minutes ago, varjet said:

But veteran backup for $2mm?  Jets paid $6mm?  I think you can argue that Sanchez is even better than McCown.

If I knew it was coming down to a McCown signing, I would have definitely considered Sanchez instead. Jets fans can say what they want. 95% of this fanbase wasnt around to see Namath, and probably half of this fanbase wasnt around for the 98 Testaverde Season. The best experience that many Jets fans have even had was when Sanchez was the QB. Whether he was "carried to the playoffs" or not, he sure as hell contributed to playoff wins and in that Colts game was a key factor in convincing Schotty not to be a dunce and grow some balls and throw the ball down the field. 

I'd take that over Josh McCown for sure. 

Just now, Villain The Foe said:

If I knew it was coming down to a McCown signing, I would have definitely considered Sanchez instead. Jets fans can say what they want. 95% of this fanbase wasnt around to see Namath, and probably half of this fanbase wasnt around for the 98 Testaverde Season. The best experience that many Jets fans have even had was when Sanchez was the QB. Whether he was "carried to the playoffs" or not, he sure as hell contributed to playoff wins and in that Colts game was a key factor in convincing Schotty not to be a dunce and grow some balls and throw the ball down the field. 

I'd take that over Josh McCown for sure. 

Amen.

SAR I

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

He signed with the Bears.  That's not the point.

The point is he serves the same role as McCown and was only $2M, not $6M.

Some Jets fans Mets Islanders insecurities over the Buttfumble footage just cost us $4M.

SAR I

We are not talking about Cutler or Kaepernick.

Sanchez' lifetime record is 37-35, which is WAY better than McCown's.

I want someone to explain to me why McCown was worth so much more.

Just now, varjet said:

Exactly right.  Let's show the man some respect as well.  Not only has Sanchez been a consummate professional as a backup quarterback, but he was the best quarterback we've seen since Joe Namath.

In fact, if someone told us that Christian Hackenberg was about to go on a 25-12 run in a 37 game stretch and win 4 playoff games in his first 3 seasons we'd be doing cartwheels and that's exactly what Mark did.

SAR I

32 minutes ago, j4jets said:

The public outcry/outburst in NY would be massive. 

Agreed.  Fan response would not have been positive.  

And Sanchez himself doubtless would not want to come back to NY.

With that said, Sanchez for $2M/Year is (IMO) >>> McCown for $6M/Year as a #3 QB.

1 minute ago, Villain The Foe said:

The saddest part of this is that you're probably right. 

Meanwhile, we can sign and overpay Josh McCown and only a handful of people are ready to throw the front office in the garbage. 

As you know, I'm rosier on Macc than you are but I tell you what, while I like the fact that he keeps making short term signings to older vets, I can't deny that it seems he consistently overpays based on talent. It is certainly becoming a point of concern for me. 

38 minutes ago, varjet said:

Sanchez is way better than McCown but there is NO WAY in the world that he could have come back to the Jets, he just couldn't and Mac isn't stupid enough to make that mistake.

I am calming down.

The eligible QBs for the Jets to sign were Fitz, Sanchez, Geno, McCown and Daniels.  

The first three have been here already, have been mismanaged and have a bad reputation with the fan base.  The two have not had the opportunity to create a bad reputation with the fan base.

So the market is now tilted away from the Jets.  They do not have the choice of 5 QBs, they have 2.  My guess was that Daniels was unreasonable in a variety of ways, and McCown held them up.

So the Jets mismanagement of their QB situation basically led them to this McCown ripoff.  The right answer is that Fitz should be the veteran back up.  He should have signed a 3 year contract that stepped down in years 2 and 3 with playing time incentives.  This was completely bungled.

39 minutes ago, varjet said:

Maybe McCown had other offers? Maybe Sanchez didn't..What can Sanchez offer Hack & Petty?  Seriously?!?!  And no way do you want Sanchez back in NY right now..

Just now, C Mart said:

Maybe McCown had other offers? Maybe Sanchez didn't..What can Sanchez offer Hack & Petty?  Seriously?!?!  And no way do you want Sanchez back in NY right now..

The Jets just paid $4mm of salary cap money for a buddy/coach.  Why not pay $500K to Jordan Palmer?

16 minutes ago, varjet said:

HE ISN'T!!!!!!

Sanchez' career record and highs as a player are so much superior to McCown's it isn't even close!!!!

16 minutes ago, JetFreak89 said:

As you know, I'm rosier on Macc than you are but I tell you what, while I like the fact that he keeps making short term signings to older vets, I can't deny that it seems he consistently overpays based on talent. It is certainly becoming a point of concern for me. 

fair enough! 

1 minute ago, Charlie Brown said:

Sanchez is way better than McCown but there is NO WAY in the world that he could have come back to the Jets, he just couldn't and Mac isn't stupid enough to make that mistake.

Tell me why.  I don't get it.

If the Buttfumble on ESPN hurt your psyche at the watercooler, get over it.

If going 6-10 in 2012 hurt your pride, ask why Tony Sporano was ever hired as our offensive coordinator and why Rex Ryan ignored the offense completely. 

Let me remind you that the Sanchez Jets were:

9-7 with 2 playoff wins in 2009.

11-5 with 2 playoff wins in 2010.

8-5 with 3 games to the playoffs in 2011.

And in the middle of all that, Mark Sanchez went on a 25-12 run as a 22 year old college senior winning 4 playoff games along the way and being the best Jet on the field in 2 AFC Championship Games with a passer rating of 100.1.

Tell me why there is "no way in the world" he could have come back to the Jets as a backup and mentor for $2M.  What, his resume isn't good enough for Jets fans?  That's a joke, right?

SAR I

13 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Agreed.  Fan response would not have been positive.  

And Sanchez himself doubtless would not want to come back to NY.

With that said, Sanchez for $2M/Year is (IMO) >>> McCown for $6M/Year as a #3 QB.

Im not a McCown fan either. I don't understand the move. He will want every opportunity to start here, especially with it being a one year deal. He wants to look out for himself for next year, rightfully so. If he gets to play even due to injuries, I have a feeling he'll win a third of the games he starts, which will hurt very badly. 

If going 6-10 in 2012 hurt your pride, ask why Tony Sporano was ever hired as our offensive coordinator and why Rex Ryan ignored the offense completely. 

And in the middle of all that, Mark Sanchez went on a 25-12 run as a 22 year old college senior winning 4 playoff games along the way and being the best Jet on the field in 2 AFC Championship Games with a passer rating of 100.1.

Tell me why there is "no way in the world" he could have come back to the Jets as a backup and mentor for $2M.  What, his resume isn't good enough for Jets fans?  That's a joke, right?

SAR I

Because you're living in the past. While this regime, which knows the past & has 0 connection to Sanchez, is looking towards the future...

21 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

The saddest part of this is that you're probably right. 

Meanwhile, we can sign and overpay Josh McCown and only a handful of people are ready to throw the front office in the garbage. 

True. Idzik drove this team to the ground. Macc buried it. He needs to hit massively in this years draft if wants to survive a few more years. His atrocious drafts (well, unless  you got the opportunity to pick the consensus best player of the draft at the time) has us staring at first overall pick in 2018, three years after he took over the team.  

5 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Because you're living in the past. While this regime, which knows the past & has 0 connection to Sanchez, is looking towards the future...

I guess there are two things in play:

1.  Why the Jets wouldn't take Mark Sanchez at $2M vs. McCown at $6M.  That's a Maccagnan issue.

2.  Why the Jets fans wouldn't embrace the return of Mark Sanchez as a clipboard holder.  That's a fan issue.

I'd like someone to explain #2 to me.  Perhaps as a native New Yorker I have tough enough skin to not concern myself with Buttfumble jokes on ESPN.  Perhaps as a diehard Jets fan I realize just how much potential the kid had and how hard he tried and how loyal he was to a coaching staff that betrayed him.

But what I cannot fathom is why, after Tebow and Smith and Fitzpatrick and Petty there isn't a realization by even his most outspoken critics that looking back Mark Sanchez did a great job in New York.  Especially compared with what we had before and since.

SAR I

10 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

Because the Jets are a mediocre organization headed by a weanie know-nothing who bases his decisions upon what others will think and say and not what will make the Jets successful.

Yes, Sanchez would have caused some screams and raised some eyebrows, but for $4mm less?  If they were equal, fine.  A $1mm maturity premium, fine.  $4mm?

The key now is to extrapolate this decision making to who the Jets pick in the first round.  Its all optics and politics-no substance.

1.  Why the Jets wouldn't take Mark Sanchez at $2M vs. McCown at $6M.  That's a Maccagnan issue.

2.  Why the Jets fans wouldn't embrace the return of Mark Sanchez as a clipboard holder.  That's a fan issue.

I'd like someone to explain #2 to me.  Perhaps as a native New Yorker I have tough enough skin to not concern myself with Buttfumble jokes on ESPN.  Perhaps as a diehard Jets fan I realize just how much potential the kid hand and how hard he tried.

But what I cannot fathom is why, after Tebow and Smith and Fitzpatrick and Petty there isn't a realization by even his most outspoken critics that looking back Mark Sanchez did a great job in New York.  Especially compared with what we had before and since.

SAR I

2. It's time to move on..which also applies to what I bolded.

Image result for chris farley remember that time

12 minutes ago, SAR I said:

I'd like someone to explain #2 to me.  Perhaps as a native New Yorker I have tough enough skin to not concern myself with Buttfumble jokes on ESPN.  Perhaps as a diehard Jets fan I realize just how much potential the kid had and how hard he tried and how loyal he was to a coaching staff that betrayed him.

SAR I

Because Sanchez was here 6 years, not 2?  For all your blabbering about how good he was, how integral he was to 2 playoff seasons he followed that up with some of the worst QB seen anywhere 

Archived