GM Mike Maccagnan speaking to media shortly -- his annual session before NFL meetings (next week).

C Mart

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, JiF said:

That's why I'm laughing at the Suck for Sam talk.  Todd Bowles is going to win as many games as he can.  This isnt a tank job.  They think they can win with McCown.

Bowles announced he's the starter already??

49 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

He's really pushing the trading down and getting more picks thing. More the he has by just saying "we're open to anything" like in years past. 

Let's hope something happens. 

Open for business!  The more teams interested, the higher the price for it goes.  I hope something happens too.

This is my prediction:

• McCown named the Veteran Starter
  • Jets draft a QB.  I can see Peterman.
  • Jets also pick up a PS squad QB
  • Jets start the season with 4 QBs on 53.  McCown starts.
  • Petty 2, Hack 3, Rookie 4.
  • McCown gets hurt, goes on IR.
  • Petty and Hack play rest of the season.
  • Jets draft another QB in 2018
  • 4 wins, tops.

13 minutes ago, varjet said:

This is my prediction:

• McCown named the Veteran Starter
  • Jets draft a QB.  I can see Peterman.
  • Jets also pick up a PS squad QB
  • Jets start the season with 4 QBs on 53.  McCown starts.
  • Petty 2, Hack 3, Rookie 4.
  • McCown gets hurt, goes on IR.
  • Petty and Hack play rest of the season.
  • Jets draft another QB in 2018
  • 4 wins, tops.

Just hope the inevitable McCown injury doesn't happen early in camp giving Bowles time to beg for another worthless Vet to sign, and plug in as his starter.

If things go the way some fear come next season, I'll definitely be right there on being extremely unhappy about it.  But in the meantime, I'm not really sure what people expect to hear from a GM in the middle of an offseason when a topic comes up about FA signings or players on the current roster.  Any GM who is not a complete idiot will do nothing more than toe the company, in this case it would of course be how great absolutely everyone is.  Amazingly enough, it would not be considered a particularly worthy topic of conversation to discuss how useless McCown is or how he can't wait to finally be rid of Pryor and Richardson.

Just now, Bleedin Green said:

If things go the way some fear come next season, I'll definitely be right there on being extremely unhappy about it.  But in the meantime, I'm not really sure what people expect to hear from a GM in the middle of an offseason when a topic comes up about FA signings or players on the current roster.  Any GM who is not a complete idiot will do nothing more than toe the company, in this case it would of course be how great absolutely everyone is.  Amazingly enough, it would not be considered a particularly worthy topic of conversation to discuss how useless McCown is or how he can't wait to finally be rid of Pryor and Richardson.

But what is the fear and the outcome of said fear? If Bryce Petty or Christian Hackenberg can't beat Josh McCown in a QB competition, that says alot about Petty and Hakenberg. Especially Petty.

1 hour ago, Charlie Brown said:

McCown isn't as good as Fitpatrick and he (McCown) will start......

That is all we need to know.......

Oh Boy........

Everyone her is wrong in their interpretation of Mac's comments.  It's incorrect to read that as  McCown being slated as the starter.  The vague commnetary from Mac never said starter, just implied that he is capable of starting.  What Mac is saying is just to be politically correct and not insult McCown by saying his plan is to have him back up the young pups and enter the game when they get hurt or suck to the point of no return.  He can't and won't announce that publicly.  Also, Bowles might be a big problem here in that he is stubborn and wants to start aging vets. JMO.  I hope I am right.

13 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

Yet most people here have inserted words into Mac's mouth in interpreting his vague praising commentary of McCown.  Somehow they heard "McCown is our starter" when nothing of the kind was stated or implied.   Too funny.  I guess they don't understand that the talking to the media protocol demands that they say positive thing about all players on the roster.  Saying McCown has talent and can play is just polite fluff.  It doesn't mean anything else.  

Rich CiminiESPN Staff Writer 

Jets GM Mike Maccagnan said it's "highly unlikely" they will add another veteran QB, but he didn't rule out drafting one. He declined to say if McCown will go into camp as the starter -- he deferred to Todd Bowles -- but, "I still think he has some good football left in him." Reading between the lines, it sounds like Christian Hackenberg will get a chance to compete for the job.

Even Rich Cimini is saying that McCown is not the definite starter. And while not the smartest man in the world, he has more media experience then people on here.

Now let me make it clear, this does not mean that McCown will not eventually become the starter by beating Hackenberg and Petty. But he was not brought in here to be anointed the starter immediatey

5 minutes ago, Dcat said:

You're putting words in his mouth and you actually think you are correct.What else do you expect him to say?  I signed him to ride the bench? Duh

I'm putting words in who's mouth?

All I'm doing is reading between the lines of - Mac and Bowles comments to the media - the contract they gave McCown - and the lack of confidence in Hack and Petty - familiarity with the offense/leader etc.

Seems pretty obvious to me what's going on here.  You may disagree, we shall see.  From my perspective all signs point to Josh McCown is your starter. 

Just now, JiF said:

All I'm doing is reading between the lines of - Mac and Bowles comments to the media - the contract they gave McCown - and the lack of confidence in Hack and Petty. 

Seems pretty obvious to me what's going on here.  You may disagree, we shall see.  From my perspective all sings point to Josh McCown is your starter. 

That is nothing considering Chase Daniel got paid 7m per year by the Eagles last year to be a backup

3 minutes ago, JiF said:

All I'm doing is reading between the lines of - Mac and Bowles comments to the media - the contract they gave McCown - and the lack of confidence in Hack and Petty - familiarity with the offense/leader etc.

Seems pretty obvious to me what's going on here.  You may disagree, we shall see.  From my perspective all signs point to Josh McCown is your starter. 

It is March.

Macc and Bowles speak in half truths to the media. They are not Rex Ryan trumpeting their true feelings.

To try and take contact out of these words is an exercise in futility.

Archived