GM Mike Maccagnan speaking to media shortly -- his annual session before NFL meetings (next week).

C Mart

29 minutes ago, JiF said:

I'm putting words in who's mouth?

All I'm doing is reading between the lines of - Mac and Bowles comments to the media - the contract they gave McCown - and the lack of confidence in Hack and Petty - familiarity with the offense/leader etc.

Seems pretty obvious to me what's going on here.  You may disagree, we shall see.  From my perspective all signs point to Josh McCown is your starter. 

yes you are.  Your "reading between the lines" is more like creative fiction rather than logical inference.   "Obvious"?  LOL, come on!  Nothing you said is "obvious".  Well, maybe in your imaginative mind.  How about just using the actual words spoken? ... that McCown is capable of playing and has talent.  If in your mind that says "McCown is our starter", then perhaps you should be just a tad more literal.  Or stop the mind altering drugs. LOL

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

It is March.

Macc and Bowles speak in half truths to the media. They are not Rex Ryan trumpeting their true feelings.

To try and take contact out of these words is an exercise in futility.

Amazing that such long time posters here can't understand this very simple concept.  

GM: 'Highly unlikely' Jets add veteran QB but rookie possible

Rich CiminiESPN Staff Writer

The three quarterbacks on the New York Jets' roster might have to make room for one more.

While saying it's "highly unlikely" they will add another veteran, general manager Mike Maccagnan didn't rule out the possibility of adding a rookie to his stable of arms.

"The next place we'd potentially add a quarterback would most likely be, or potentially be, the draft," Maccagnan said Friday in a conference call with reporters.

The Jets, whose unstable quarterback situation always seems to be an offseason story, signed 37-year-old journeyman Josh McCown to a one-year, $6 million contract. He will join recent draft picks Christian Hackenberg (2016) and Bryce Petty (2015).

Maccagnan declined to say whether McCown will go into the offseason program as the No. 1 quarterback, deferring to coach Todd Bowles, who will address it next week at the NFL owners' meetings.

In the past, Bowles has avoided open competitions at quarterback, but it sounds as if he might tweak his philosophy. "All three of those players will have an opportunity, both in the offseason and training camp, to kind of go out there and show where they're at," Maccagnan said.

The Jets have been linked with some of the top prospects in the draft. They've already conducted a private workout with Notre Dame's DeShone Kizer, a source said, and they're planning the same with North Carolina's Mitchell Trubisky. They dispatched a handful of scouts and personnel people to Trubisky's pro day on Tuesday.

After deciding to move on from Ryan Fitzpatrick and Geno Smith, the Jets wanted a veteran presence. That led them to McCown, who previously worked under quarterbacks coach Jeremy Bates in Chicago.

i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2017%2F0320%2Fr192296_1

Josh McCown was signed because he fit the Jets' system the best among the veteran options on the free-agent market, GM Mike Maccagnan said Friday. Frank Jansky/Icon Sportswire

They showed no interest in free agent Colin Kaepernick, whose unemployment has sparked a national discussion on whether his national anthem protests from last season is the reason he hasn't been signed.

"We vetted all quarterbacks," Maccagnan said. "I don't think we ruled anybody out. When it was all said and done, I think Josh fit from a system standpoint in what we do.

"We focused on the player that was the best fit for us, and Josh was kind of the one we thought brings a lot of things to the table. We're very happy about the opportunity to add him to our group."

McCown, who has lost 20 of his past 22 starts, battled injuries the past two seasons with the Cleveland Browns. He turns 38 on July 4, but "we still think he has good football left in him."

If the Jets draft a quarterback, it could imperil Petty's roster position. They made the unconventional decision last season to keep four on the 53-man roster, but it doesn't sound as if they want to go that route again.

17 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

GM: 'Highly unlikely' Jets add veteran QB but rookie possible

Rich CiminiESPN Staff Writer

The three quarterbacks on the New York Jets' roster might have to make room for one more.

While saying it's "highly unlikely" they will add another veteran, general manager Mike Maccagnan didn't rule out the possibility of adding a rookie to his stable of arms.

"The next place we'd potentially add a quarterback would most likely be, or potentially be, the draft," Maccagnan said Friday in a conference call with reporters.

The Jets, whose unstable quarterback situation always seems to be an offseason story, signed 37-year-old journeyman Josh McCown to a one-year, $6 million contract. He will join recent draft picks Christian Hackenberg (2016) and Bryce Petty (2015).

Maccagnan declined to say whether McCown will go into the offseason program as the No. 1 quarterback, deferring to coach Todd Bowles, who will address it next week at the NFL owners' meetings.

In the past, Bowles has avoided open competitions at quarterback, but it sounds as if he might tweak his philosophy. "All three of those players will have an opportunity, both in the offseason and training camp, to kind of go out there and show where they're at," Maccagnan said.

The Jets have been linked with some of the top prospects in the draft. They've already conducted a private workout with Notre Dame's DeShone Kizer, a source said, and they're planning the same with North Carolina's Mitchell Trubisky. They dispatched a handful of scouts and personnel people to Trubisky's pro day on Tuesday.

After deciding to move on from Ryan Fitzpatrick and Geno Smith, the Jets wanted a veteran presence. That led them to McCown, who previously worked under quarterbacks coach Jeremy Bates in Chicago.

i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2017%2F0320%2Fr192296_1

Josh McCown was signed because he fit the Jets' system the best among the veteran options on the free-agent market, GM Mike Maccagnan said Friday. Frank Jansky/Icon Sportswire

They showed no interest in free agent Colin Kaepernick, whose unemployment has sparked a national discussion on whether his national anthem protests from last season is the reason he hasn't been signed.

"We vetted all quarterbacks," Maccagnan said. "I don't think we ruled anybody out. When it was all said and done, I think Josh fit from a system standpoint in what we do.

"We focused on the player that was the best fit for us, and Josh was kind of the one we thought brings a lot of things to the table. We're very happy about the opportunity to add him to our group."

McCown, who has lost 20 of his past 22 starts, battled injuries the past two seasons with the Cleveland Browns. He turns 38 on July 4, but "we still think he has good football left in him."

If the Jets draft a quarterback, it could imperil Petty's roster position. They made the unconventional decision last season to keep four on the 53-man roster, but it doesn't sound as if they want to go that route again.

Code word, If you think that you can expect us to allow qb's past the #6 hole, think again, you may have make a deal with us, or jump us.

This is exactly how they should play it.

1 minute ago, Scott Dierking said:

Code word, If you think that you can expect us to allow qb's past the #6 hole, think again, you may have make a deal with us, or jump us.

This is exactly how they should play it.

So  . . . .  THREATEN to take a QB @ #6 which, if you earnestly believe they will does validate that Petty/Hack = garbage & a Reason to Fire GM In it of Itself, will lead other teams to "hopefully" panic & acquiesce to trade with us? OR jump us allowing Blue-Chipper to possibly fall to us? Yet, THE ENTIRE TIME we really would NEVER draft ANY of these '17 QBs @ #6 b/c they're Round 2 talents?

. . . I just want to be clear here . . . .

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

You guys are nuts even listening to anything Mike Maccagnan says talk is cheap actions speak louder than words win some games bring in some decent players,succress in the NFL is measured by wins and losses not talk. 

Casserly is a respected guy who seems to know what he's doing I dont know what happened

Mac is just as bad if not worse than Idzik

2 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

You guys are nuts even listening to anything Mike Maccagnan says talk is cheap actions speak louder than words win some games bring in some decent players,succress in the NFL is measured by wins and losses not talk. 

The Irony . . . . :D

2 hours ago, varjet said:

This is my prediction:

• McCown named the Veteran Starter
  • Jets draft a QB.  I can see Peterman.
  • Jets also pick up a PS squad QB
  • Jets start the season with 4 QBs on 53.  McCown starts.
  • Petty 2, Hack 3, Rookie 4.
  • McCown gets hurt, goes on IR.
  • Petty and Hack play rest of the season.
  • Jets draft another QB in 2018
  • 4 wins, tops.

Here is my prediction from couple weeks ago which is now closer to becoming true (Go Jets....Petty and the Jets that is)

On 3/13/2017 at 9:23 PM, SickJetFan said:

The point of a veteran backup QB is not for competition nor should he see the field except for in Preseason.

If the jets do sign Daniel or someone like him and they don't waste s draft pick in 1st 2 rounds of this draft then this is what will happen

The majority of snaps in training camp will go to the competition between Petty and Hack

By the third PS game we will have a good idea who will start season (my money is on Petty)

The vet will be named #2

The vet in this case is really important to say the least because he will help the young pup understand each week game plan in meetings, on practice field, and on the crapper.  During a game if starter gets hurt he jumps in knowing the game plan and not needing same reps...he went be very good but he is best chance to win.

If starter goes into slump then you play the loser of preseason and vet assumes backup sgsin and hopefully helps starter to be successful

A vet backup like this needs to be unselfish and not try to undermined the 2 pups for selfish reasons so he may be starter

This is why guys like geno will have s hard time ever getting a job.

2 hours ago, Dcat said:

Everyone her is wrong in their interpretation of Mac's comments.  It's incorrect to read that as  McCown being slated as the starter.  The vague commnetary from Mac never said starter, just implied that he is capable of starting.  What Mac is saying is just to be politically correct and not insult McCown by saying his plan is to have him back up the young pups and enter the game when they get hurt or suck to the point of no return.  He can't and won't announce that publicly.  Also, Bowles might be a big problem here in that he is stubborn and wants to start aging vets. JMO.  I hope I am right.

Dcat I hope that you are right.  But I saw what happened with Fitz last year under Bowles and it worries me.

3 hours ago, Dcat said:

Everyone her is wrong in their interpretation of Mac's comments.  It's incorrect to read that as  McCown being slated as the starter.  The vague commnetary from Mac never said starter, just implied that he is capable of starting.  What Mac is saying is just to be politically correct and not insult McCown by saying his plan is to have him back up the young pups and enter the game when they get hurt or suck to the point of no return.  He can't and won't announce that publicly.  Also, Bowles might be a big problem here in that he is stubborn and wants to start aging vets. JMO.  I hope I am right.

I really doubt Bowles will just go with Mccown. It'll be a competition. And we should all pray and hope Hack or Petty can beat out the old journeymen. 

Mac said he doesn't want to mortgage the future when talking about FA. So I'm pretty sure that carries through the rest of the season. Not giving the young guys a chance is mortgaging the future. 

Bowles stuck with Fitz because he was afraid of losing his job and losing the locker room. Now that all those vets are gone, there's no need for that.....I hope. 

9 minutes ago, Dcat said:

But then there is Bowles.

Bowles is a lousy in game coach. A 15 year old playing Madden would outcoach him. Bowles was not Mac's choice. He was Casserole's. Bowles will be axed after this year and Mac will pick his coach. 

2 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

So  . . . .  THREATEN to take a QB @ #6 which, if you earnestly believe they will does validate that Petty/Hack = garbage & a Reason to Fire GM In it of Itself, will lead other teams to "hopefully" panic & acquiesce to trade with us? OR jump us allowing Blue-Chipper to possibly fall to us? Yet, THE ENTIRE TIME we really would NEVER draft ANY of these '17 QBs @ #6 b/c they're Round 2 talents?

. . . I just want to be clear here . . . .

This group does not telegraph their intentions.

On 3/24/2017 at 8:24 PM, joewilly12 said:

Macc is going down with Christian Hackenberg win or lose and it will be very interesting when the 6th pick is on the clock if both Watson and Trubisky are still available. 

Fagetaboutit. Mac will sheild Hack all season. To play him would show the colossal mistake he made in selecting him. Picking another QB at this time, with so many holes on this team, would be a desperate, dumb move. Replenish the roster, specifically the OL and secondary.  Then, next year, grab Sam.

imagejpeg

18 minutes ago, Powpow said:

Fagetaboutit. Mac will sheild Hack all season. To play him would show the colossal mistake he made in selecting him. Picking another QB at this time, with so many holes on this team, would be a desperate, dumb move. Replenish the roster, specifically the OL and secondary.  Then, next year, grab Sam.

Makes no sense with the shielding him. And this notion of making a mistake selecting him. He took a chance on finding his QB. I don't see why people keep crying about it. 

3 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Macc is going down with Christian Hackenberg win or lose and it will be very interesting when the 6th pick is on the clock if both Watson and Trubisky are still available. 

who else would be available at 6 as well?

6 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Any more cliches?

4 hours ago, MDL_JET said:

Makes no sense with the shielding him. And this notion of making a mistake selecting him. He took a chance on finding his QB. I don't see why people keep crying about it. 

He only let him play a bit in preseason. And the season was over fairly early. Give me a break. There was no reason not to get him some game experience and get his feet wet, especially after Petty was hurt. It's a joke. 

1 hour ago, Jet9 said:

Any more cliches?

sh*t or get off the pot.  Until Mac shows some substantial, qualified progress on this roster, he is as joewilly12 stated, ALL TALK. This coming year is a pass. Mac will get a new coach and a franchise QB the following year. If there is not significant improvement, he is kaput. 

5 hours ago, Powpow said:

He only let him play a bit in preseason. And the season was over fairly early. Give me a break. There was no reason not to get him some game experience and get his feet wet, especially after Petty was hurt. It's a joke. 

Maybe because they said from the beginning they were gonna sit him out the whole season? Or because the offense was a sh*t show? What good what have come from starting, what, 2 games? We saw Petty get destroyed and now we're even saying lets forget about that and let him compete again in camp. 

16 hours ago, JiF said:

That's why I'm laughing at the Suck for Sam talk.  Todd Bowles is going to win as many games as he can.  This isnt a tank job.  They think they can win with McCown.

Since we are talking about the Jets you are probably right. At the same time not sure any NFL team would come out and admit they are tanking. My thought would be pick up a scrap heap QB like McCown and talk about him like you believe you can win with him. Hopefully Bowles is practicing his "surprise face" for the media so when the team starts out 0-8 and he puts in Petty or Hack to "save" the season. 

Not sure what what you think the off season of a tank season would look like. Personally I'm guessing just like this. 

16 hours ago, JiF said:

That's why I'm laughing at the Suck for Sam talk.  Todd Bowles is going to win as many games as he can.  This isnt a tank job.  They think they can win with McCown.

Any head coach who thinks he can win with Josh McCown is on short time in the NFL  :D

14 hours ago, Dcat said:

yes you are.  Your "reading between the lines" is more like creative fiction rather than logical inference.   "Obvious"?  LOL, come on!  Nothing you said is "obvious".  Well, maybe in your imaginative mind.  How about just using the actual words spoken? ... that McCown is capable of playing and has talent.  If in your mind that says "McCown is our starter", then perhaps you should be just a tad more literal.  Or stop the mind altering drugs. LOL

It's almost like we are fans of 2 different teams and Todd Bowles isn't the head coach of the one you root for and the name of the teams isn't the Jets. 

Archived