Davis Webb: Being told 'I'm one of the best quarterbacks on the board'

Gas2No99

Davis Webb: Being told 'I'm one of the best quarterbacks on the board'

• lombardi_david_m.jpg&w=160&h=160&scale=c
    David LombardiESPN Staff Writer

BERKELEY, Calif. -- Former California quarterback Davis Webb on Friday said he's been told by multiple NFL teams that he could be taken early in April's NFL draft.

"I've talked to a lot of NFL people," Webb said after the Golden Bears' pro day workouts. "And double-digit teams have told me I'm a first-round guy."

The 6-5, 230-pound Webb, who was a graduate transfer to Cal from Texas Tech, was initially projected to be taken in the middle rounds. Recent buzz, however, has suggested that Webb's stock is climbing.

"Every meeting [with an NFL team] I've had, they've said I'm one of the best quarterbacks on the board," Webb said.

ESPN draft analyst Mel Kiper currently projects North Carolina's Mitch Trubisky and Clemson's Deshaun Watson to be the only two quarterbacks taken in the first round at No. 12 and No. 13, respectively.

On Friday morning, Webb threw in rainy conditions at Cal's pro day. Many of his passes went to fellow NFL prospect Chad Hansen, who logged 92 catches for the Bears this past season.

Webb says he has "about 12-15 more" meetings scheduled with various NFL teams. He declined to discuss further details, but when asked by a local Bay Area reporter, he did indicate that San Francisco 49ers coach Kyle Shanahan has been in contact.

Webb said scouts were happy with his throwing performance Friday. He's also been working to promote his mental grasp of the game to NFL teams.

"I try to show off a bit," Webb said. "I try to show them that I know my stuff, about defenses and about fronts. I think my potential is through the roof."

Webb plans to watch the NFL draft from his home in the Dallas area, where he will invite teammates from Cal and Texas Tech.

"It'll be interesting to see all those guys interact," Webb said. "Two different schools, two different years."

Webb as the last pick of the 3rd round?

38 minutes ago, ljr said:

I've been told double digit times that I'm a good lover ... Well as long as hookers and the mentally challenged count ... And perhaps only single digit times ... But high single digits !!!

Those guys obviously lied to you. It was the money talking. 

6 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Those guys obviously lied to you. It was the money talking. 

HIY-O!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

giphy.gif

JW12 BUSTIN' BALLS that are LIT!!!!  What's the World coming to? :D

enhanced-8001-1456336638-2.jpg

Mahomes beat him out at Texas Tech, which is why he transferred.

But Webb is obviously draftable-probably 3-4 if Mahomes is late 1st/second.  He compares at least mechanically/mentally to a poor man's Goff.

Looking back at Petty's draft, Grayson was drafted in the 3rd and put on the PS.  Petty was traded up for in the 4th and appears no where.  

I think we all can agree (optimistically) that Hack is still a WIP, but also that picking him in the 2nd round was in error.  A common standard could be that a second round pick should be able to compete and look credible at least in year 2.  That could be a stretch if what people are saying about his practice accuracy is true.

And then there is Dak Prescott.

So there is an art to picking these QBs that I don't entirely understand.  But what I do understand is that teams without a QB have to reach/take chances, but Macc has to do better at evaluating and picking QBs.

2 minutes ago, varjet said:

But Webb is obviously draftable-probably 3-4 if Mahomes is late 1st/second.  He compares at least mechanically/mentally to a poor man's Goff.

Looking back at Petty's draft, Grayson was drafted in the 3rd and put on the PS.  Petty was traded up for in the 4th and appears no where.  

I think we all can agree (optimistically) that Hack is still a WIP, but also that picking him in the 2nd round was in error.  A common standard could be that a second round pick should be able to compete and look credible at least in year 2.  That could be a stretch if what people are saying about his practice accuracy is true.

So there is an art to picking these QBs that I don't entirely understand.  But what I do understand is that teams without a QB have to reach/take chances, but Macc has to do better at evaluating and picking QBs.

I understand it, the force is with me, Patrick Mahomes II is the truth!

1 hour ago, sourceworx said:

I'd take Mahomes over this guy any day of the week. 

1 hour ago, Lupz27 said:

I understand it, the force is with me, Patrick Mahomes II is the truth!

Mahomes is a real natural.  By far the best improvising, sandlot QB coming out in this draft.  The guys ability to complete passes while off balance is impressive, although that stuff just doesn't play out in the NFL.  If a team succeeds in reeling him and get his head screwed on right, without killing his natural instincts, he will be very, very good staring QB.

1 minute ago, Il Mostro said:

Mahomes is a real natural.  By far the best improvising, sandlot QB coming out in this draft.  The guys ability to complete passes while off balance is impressive, although that stuff just doesn't play out in the NFL.  If a team succeeds in reeling him in without killing his natural instincts and athletic ability, he will be very good staring QB.

Well, if he comes here, our o-line will see to it that hes always throwing on the run, so...

Hey, you think if a prospect attends the draft and sits with the fans, he could just walk up on stage when his name is called? 

You know, force the hug and a handshake, get a little camera time. Take some pics on stage. 

I think so. 

Geno was a second round pick and he even got a hat. 

8 minutes ago, Il Mostro said:

Mahomes is a real natural.  By far the best improvising, sandlot QB coming out in this draft.  The guys ability to complete passes while off balance is impressive, although that stuff just doesn't play out in the NFL.  If a team succeeds in reeling him and get his head screwed on right, without killing his natural instincts, he will be very, very good staring QB.

Seriously? Throwing off balance consistently is a big part of what makes franchise QBs, franchise QBs. In fact, Marino said almost all throws are slightly off back foot or without perfect form. 

8 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Seriously? Throwing off balance consistently is a big part of what makes franchise QBs, franchise QBs. In fact, Marino said almost all throws are slightly off back foot or without perfect form. 

No doubt about this being an important skill, but it's not a fall-back (no pun intended) for Mahomes.  He is often too quick to break off the play and improvise.   I love the guy and think he can be coached up to be  a more disciplined QB.  If so, it's the best of both worlds.

Cal

Despite awful weather in which players are timing the 40 in the pouring rain, receiver Chad Hansenclocked as fast as 4.42s while running back Khalfani Muhammad was 4.35s.

UPDATE

I’m told the conditions were miserable for pro day and it rained harder as the workout progressed.

It was an up and down passing day for Davis Webb, though it was no fault of his own.  Webb missed on a number of throws but as one person told me they asked him to throw NFL passes in conditions that were impossible.  Another source on hand said if these were game time conditions no one would be asked to make those throws.

Webb met with the New York Jets, Arizona Cardinals, Kansas City Chiefs and Pittsburgh Steelers over the past two days.

His official visit list includes the New York Jets, Arizona Cardinals and Pittsburgh Steelers.

March 24 Pro Day: Update from Cal | Draft Analyst from Draft Analyst’s Tweet 

1 hour ago, Adoni Beast said:

2nd-3rd round talent. Might even have a better or career equal to Goff's. But, pass. 

Trubisky and Watson are 2nd round talents, but may be overdrafted and go in the 1st (they SHOULDN'T, IMO).

So, for argument sake, if Watson & Mitchy are 2nd rounders, would you (members here, in general) STILL consider Webb a 2nd-3rd round talent OR would he, in your estimation, then drop to more in the realm of a 4th or 5th rounder if based on that relative scale?

I'm curious to see what posters here feel is the "drop-off" between the Top2:Mitch&Watson and a prospect like Webb or Peterman. Mitch&Watson would have to sit 2-3 years (same for Kizer & Maholmes), do people feel the same about Webb or can he be plugged in earlier just NOT have the high ceiling like the aforementioned. So who are the Top tier (who still require 1-2 years to sit and learn MINIMUM), 2nd tier, and JAG/Camp Arm Tier in this draft of the QB class?

6 hours ago, ljr said:

I've been told double digit times that I'm a good lover ... Well as long as hookers and the mentally challenged count ... And perhaps only single digit times ... But high single digits !!!

Before we can judge the voracity of these claim it might be important it give us length and girth metrics on those single digits.

No homo of course.

6 hours ago, varjet said:

Dallas has always had a first class front office. Their scouting system has always picked winners.

Archived