We need to finish the purge of the former team "leadership"

JohnnyLV

We are not a talented team, and the next couple of years will be a struggle. We need to completely rebuild. We have made some good progress towards that so far. As long as we start the young QBs we can start building towards something.

Last year however, our issues were magnified by what I frankly believe was a caustic, negative, self serving, non-team oriented and volatile environment caused by the selfishness, stubborness and stupidity of the leaders of the team.

Namely: Mangold, Decker, Marshall, Mo and Sheldumb

Thankfully Mangold and Marshall are gone, but Decker Mo and Richardson are still here.

They need to all go. We need an entirely new environment and the three left are certain to ruin whatever chemistry we might create with a young team.

Trade or cut Decker. He cannot stay healthy anyway.

Trade Richardson for a 1st/2nd next year or 3rd and low rounder this year,

Trade Mo for a first next year.

We need to start fresh, and any chance we have for a successful rebuild needs to begin with getting rid of all these overrated malcontents.

Try to get as many picks next year, and additional picks this year so we can start building a core, and have additional ammo to move up next year if needed.

Finish the purge.

Problem have we really drafted perennial NFL superstars in 2015-2016 Enunwa and Lee standouts others big question marks a team that needs something close to a franchise QB a head coach that seems clueless at times a GM thats questionable. 

Im all for the proper rebuild I just don't see the foundation laid yet. 

Kinda agree that the locker room is messy, but it's messy because the coach is weak and the players smell blood. Mo and Sheldon didn't forget how to play football. They just stopped playing it because the GM brought Brandon Marshall in and Bowles treated Marshall, and Revis, and Cromartie like they were veteran leaders. Which was stupid. You can forgive a young regime for screwing up a draft pick here and there, or for having a player or two not buy in, but this regime shoots itself in the foot at every turn, and in ways that are so, so avoidable.

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

Kinda agree that the locker room is messy, but it's messy because the coach is weak and the players smell blood. Mo and Sheldon didn't forget how to play football. They just stopped playing it because the GM brought Brandon Marshall in and Bowles treated Marshall, and Revis, and Cromartie like they were veteran leaders. Which was stupid. You can forgive a young regime for screwing up a draft pick here and there, or for having a player or two not buy in, but this regime shoots itself in the foot at every turn, and in ways that are so, so avoidable.

Ding ding ding we have a winner this guy gets it. 

Todd Bowles isn't a leader he has zero credibility after what transpired last season and he was a big part of all that went wrong here. 

2 hours ago, johnnysd said:

We are not a talented team, and the next couple of years will be a struggle. We need to completely rebuild. We have made some good progress towards that so far. As long as we start the young QBs we can start building towards something.

Last year however, our issues were magnified by what I frankly believe was a caustic, negative, self serving, non-team oriented and volatile environment caused by the selfishness, stubborness and stupidity of the leaders of the team.

Thankfully Mangold and Marshall are gone, but Decker Mo and Richardson are still here.

They need to all go. We need an entirely new environment and the three left are certain to ruin whatever chemistry we might create with a young team.

We need to start fresh, and any chance we have for a successful rebuild needs to begin with getting rid of all these overrated malcontents.

Try to get as many picks next year, and additional picks this year so we can start building a core, and have additional ammo to move up next year if needed.

Finish the purge.

And you know that all of these players were a problem because...?

I've been all in for a purge once thanksgiving came around ( and I mean Canadian thanksgiving which comes earlier) 

But, I can't see All the vets as being the problem. I think that management knows who were the cause and have already done away with them. 

Now there is a leadership vacuum, it's time for the younger leaders to step up.

lets hope that one of the new leaders is a QB, at this point I don't care which one.

2 hours ago, Larz said:

At uconn, if there is a blizzard and the coaches cant get to school, the players organize an intense practice and walk to the gym.
Thats how far away this team is.

******* light years away

Remember when fans used to b!tch out Mangini for his insistence on only bringing in high character players? 

How right he was....

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

.... it's messy because the coach is weak and the players smell blood.....

Exactly.

Won't matter who is on the roster, Bowles is a pushover who fails to control his team.

Really is simple as that.

With that said, I have no objection to trading away all three named in the OP.

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

i tend to agree with most of this. i don't know if bowles expected those vets to lead.  i'd say he certainly wanted them to set the tone for the reast of the team. to some extent they did but when they didn't win the finger pointing started.  and once the geno faction started to get on fitz things went south.

in truth this team has never had a lot of on field leadership.  usually it starts with the qb and just look who those guys have been for the past 15 years or so. so bowles has to be the leader.  i hope he starts to understand this or he's going to lose the team.

3 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Namely: Mangold, 

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

7 minutes ago, Larz said:

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

giphy.gif

8 minutes ago, Larz said:

Tell us how you really feel. I agree Mangold wasn't the problem. Bowles should have nipped the problem in the bud. His weakness was to blame not Mangold. The inmates were running the asylum and the HC was to weak to stop it. Bowles is to blame for the bullsh*t that went on in the locker room and the on the sidelines no one else. The malcontents exploited his weakness and lack of leadership like malcontents will. As long as Bowles is the HC this team is screwed.

11 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

Tell us how you really feel. I agree Mangold wasn't the problem. Bowles should have nipped the problem in the bud. His weakness was to blame not Mangold. The inmates were running the asylum and the HC was to weak to stop it. Bowles is to blame for the bullsh*t that went on in the locker room and the on the sidelines no one else. The malcontents exploited his weakness and lack of leadership like malcontents will. As long as Bowles is the HC this team is screwed.

Mangold wasn't a problem. He's getting old, and is becoming more and more injury prone.

5 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Finish the purge.

5 hours ago, johnnysd said:

I agree with you 100%

10 hours ago, Larz said:

At uconn, if there is a blizzard and the coaches cant get to school, the players organize an intense practice and walk to the gym.
Thats how far away this team is.

******* light years away

If the Jets players were to walk to UConn, you're right. It would seem light years away. 

4 hours ago, bealeb319 said:

I stopped reading at thankfully mangold is gone. Mangold was a great player for us for a long time it is sad to see him go...no one should be thankful that he was cut.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Mangold stood up against the FO and took a metaphorical dump on it last year. That's not leadership. Besides, it's not like he wasn't paid as one of the highest paid C for most of his time here. Had he moved on from that idiotic Fitz saga, I would've thaought differently. Leaders don't demand the FO to pay another guy. Allies towards a negotiating party does. 

14 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Finish the purge.

I agree with you regarding the purge. This seems to be the perfect year to do it since Macc wants to sign QB's like McCown. Just finish the purge and get it over with. 

With that being said, I dont think we're getting a #1 for Mo Wilkerson, not with the fact that that team must also take on that contract. Maybe with it being a 1st next year, as you stated, but I would honestly be surprised if a team did that. If Macc were to pull that off that would be good news. I also feel the same for Richardson. We're not getting that high of a draft pick for him. I think a 3rd for Richardson and maybe a 2nd for Wilkerson is what we would have to settle for unfortunately. 

Your overall point of view however Im 100% on board with. I felt like if we had to make the decision we should have let Decker walk and kept Marshall, but Marshall actually wanted out. I say trade Decker for a 4th or whatever you can get for him as well. I wouldnt mind going in with Enunwa #1, Anderson #2, Smith/Peake #4 and the dude from San Fran to iron it out. 

I also like that if you would trade you would attempt to get next year draft picks. I think that method is highly underrated. It will give the impression in the short term for the other team that they're getting a player for free. Meanwhile we can just complete the obvious tank job and continue to stack draft picks for next year. 

Now, if only we can hit on 2nd round picks! lol. 

Don't for one second think this team wasn't fractured into factions like opposing magnets last year. Decker, Mangold & Marshall were the 3 Musketeers when it came to Fitz. 1st you had photos coming out of them together at sporting events in NY (not Marshall but Decker & Mangold). Then you had Marshall giving his two cents about resigning Fitz. Here's the problem, Bowles had expected these veterans to be leaders. Well leaders DO NOT comment on unsigned players, they needed to take the Patriot approach & keep their mouths shut. Then you had the defensive side of the ball with Revis & Wilkerson expected to lead by example but they failed miserably and played terrible. Add in the fact the Marshall, THINKING he's a leader because he's proved to everybody that he's not insane, goes postal in the lockerooom & now you've got Sheldon Richardson taking offense to a dude screaming at him, who went to the wall for his buddy Fitz who just put the defense on the field with 6 picks vs KC. This team was a clusterf*ck of horrible personalities last year, and the youngsters were fending for themselves (Leo, Lee, Jenkins, Burris, the young WRs, the young Oline) seeing actual all 22 tape of guys literally QUITTING at times! Marshall rolling his eyes, alligator arming passes, Revis backing away from tackles & running along side advances of the ball waiting for the Calvary. Mo getting stood straight up & playing patty cake with Olineman, Richardson talking bout "where da Hos at?". Just a classic example of the inmates running the asylum. Pats bring in bad guys but have enough leaders & history to say, "perform or be gone". Guys like Blount ect. There outnumbered by guys that don't accept half ass effort. Marshall wanted NY for showtime (he wore out his welcome everywhere), Decker wanted NY for his wife, Mangolds play had slipped dramatically & was being paid on his past performance at a ridiculous for a center 9 million dollars! Is there any Jet fan that would bet good money that Bill Bellichick would pay his center 9 million dollars? No freaking way! There's only one veteran leader left & he's running on fumes ands that's David Harris. Brings it every game, plays hurt, an old school NFLer. We need a kid like Hackenberg to step up & run an offense. All the youngsters will follow if he makes them successful & they see themselves on sportscenter & NFL network scoring points and being rated for fantasy picks. We need Leo, Lee, Jenkins, Burris to step up & take leadership of the defense. I honestly believe that we'll see a team this year that plays hard, they may not win a lot of games but if they see any improvement & a few upset wins as the year progresses it will set them up nicely going into 2018 with a big wad of money in the bank & another year of high draft choices.

22 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Finish the purge.

There is a lot here that I disagree with. But if you think they are trading Mo and Wilk and getting back two #1's or a 1 and a 2, well that isn't going to happen.

I don't think there is a player on the Jets roster not named Leonard Williams that the Jets wouldn't trade for a first round pick.

17 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

And we drafted better under Mangini.... a lot better.   

huh?!

We drafted two OL and a complete bust in Gholston.

Who did we actually draft of quality "under Mangini" the HC? How well did Cleveland do under Mangini?!

Some of us have this fantasy that no amount of fact can penetrate.

9 minutes ago, phill1c said:

huh?!

We drafted two OL and a complete bust in Gholston.

Who did we actually draft of quality "under Mangini" the HC? How well did Cleveland do under Mangini?!

Some of us have this fantasy that no amount of fact can penetrate.

Revis, Mangold  Harris, Leon Washington, Brad Smith and Brick come to mind. Compare his 3 years here with any 3 year period and I believe it compares favorably. Facts you say?  Better than REX for certain. 

Just now, southparkcpa said:

Revis, Mangold  Harris, Leon Washington, Brad Smith and Brick come to mind. Compare his 3 years here with any 3 year period and I believe it compares favorably. Your sarcasm should be reserved for facts.  Better than REX for certain. 

You don't seem to understand what role a head coach plays. So, basically, there's no real basis for a discussion, sadly.

I wasn't being sarcastic. I was being factual. It's a fantasy that Mangini, who was never been employed in the Jets front office in the two whole years he was employed here, was somehow the major player in drafting. It's a fantasy that Mangini lovers have and not substantiated by any such observed success before or after. Mangini, the coach, maybe had some input to say "yeah, he's pretty good..." but I see no evidence that he did anything more than ok what the scouting department provided the GM. Really, I see ZERO evidence that he agreed or disagreed with the choices. All I see is his fans wanting to give him credit for the successful picks while ignoring the EPIC BUST in Gholston.

10 minutes ago, phill1c said:

You don't seem to understand what role a head coach plays. So, basically, there's no real basis for a discussion, sadly.

I wasn't being sarcastic. I was being factual. It's a fantasy that Mangini, who was never been employed in the Jets front office in the two whole years he was employed here, was somehow the major player in drafting. It's a fantasy that Mangini lovers have and not substantiated by any such observed success before or after. Mangini, the coach, maybe had some input to say "yeah, he's pretty good..." but I see no evidence that he did anything more than ok what the scouting department provided the GM. Really, I see ZERO evidence that he agreed or disagreed with the choices. All I see is his fans wanting to give him credit for the successful picks while ignoring the EPIC BUST in Gholston.

So you believe that Tanny  drafts without input?  Drafts under Mangini were as good as any drafts weve had in a 3 year period.  Tanny before and after Mangini was below average and his tenure reeks of meddling from the coach.  he was a cap guy , lawyer, accountant type.  He needed coach input.   But start out a response with insults like you do... it shows more about you than I care to know. Don't bother responding since you cant even be civil on a message board.

On 3/25/2017 at 3:54 PM, T0mShane said:

Did you know that when Todd Bowles joined the Jets he literally said in a press conference "Mo gets special treatment because he went to Temple" and everyone laughed and was like....oh cute,see, Todd has a personality and a sense of humor.

Little did we know he was dead ass serious.

Archived