How the Jets Landed Christian Hackenberg - 2016 MMQB article

Gas2No99

How the Jets Landed Christian Hackenberg

The Penn State quarterback won over Todd Bowles & Co. during a secret workout in early April, but he still wasn’t a sure thing. At the last minute, New York thought it would lose its man to his old college coach

christian-hackenberg-combine.jpg?itok=yV

Joe Robbins/Getty Images

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. — In late March, NFL agent Rich Rosa fielded a call from the Jets about setting up a workout with his client, Christian Hackenberg, the polarizing quarterback from Penn State. But the team had one non-negotiable condition: it would have to remain absolutely secret.

“The word that comes to mind is intensity, just the level of intensity that they wanted to make sure it was kept extremely quiet and that nobody knew it was going to happen,” says Noel LaMontagne, Rosa’s business partner at Compass Sports Advisors.

Mired in a contract stalemate with Ryan Fitzpatrick, the Jets’ front office didn’t want the New York media to anoint Hackenberg as the franchise’s lifeline. On April 10, two weeks after the initial call, general manager Mike Maccagnan, head coach Todd Bowles, offensive coordinator Chan Gailey, quarterbacks coach Kevin Patullo, and two scouts drove to State College to conduct the workout at Penn State’s indoor football facility. The Jets delegation worked out the young quarterback for an hour, testing him on the aspects of the pro-style offense that weren’t a part of the Nittany Lions’ shotgun spread offense for the past two seasons.

One of the criticisms of Hackenberg is that he can’t make quick throws under pressure. So Jets coaches sped things up and put him through quick-release passing drills. They tested to see if he could throw off balance, watched his footwork closely, and put him in scenarios that they hadn’t seen on his game film. “It was about getting a really good feel for the way they are going to coach me going forward,” Hackenberg says.

After the workout, the group grabbed an early lunch at Happy Valley Brewery, a popular spot in State College. Rosa and LaMontagne had suggested the group stay at Penn State’s facility, where they could remain completely private, but the Jets risked the possibility of being seen with Hackenberg in public. “They said, ‘No, we want him in a natural setting. We want to see him in football, but we want to see him as a person, too,’ ” LaMontagne says. Hackenberg made easy conversation with Gailey about the Masters, which was playing out on the bar’s TVs. (Gailey is an avid golfer; Hackenberg is just picking up the game.) Because it was early for lunch on a Sunday, the Jets coaches went unnoticed at the restaurant. 

The pressing need for this trip to Penn State was to spend quality time with Hackenberg, and to settle the controversy of his up-and-down college career. As a true freshman, Hackenberg mastered Bill O’Brien’s pro-style offense. But after O’Brien left to coach the Texans, Hackenberg struggled with accuracy in Franklin’s shotgun system, throwing more interceptions (15) than touchdowns (12) as a sophomore, and finishing with a 53.5% completion rate his junior year in 2015.

Bowles needed to hear Hackenberg explain his challenges with the coaching change when Franklin (left) took over at Penn State.
Photo: 

Bowles needed to hear Hackenberg explain his challenges with the coaching change when Franklin (left) took over at Penn State. 

As part of the evaluation process, Bowles wanted to hear Hackenberg explain his challenges with the coaching change, in order put to rest any concerns about his coachability. “I definitely needed to hear from him and hear what his thought process was and how he went through changing cultures and different coordinators in a system,” Bowles says. “He was forthright with everything, he understood that he has things he needs to work on, he acknowledged the coaching changes and he tried to do well in both systems. He admitted that he had some bad games but he also had some very good games, so I was very impressed with the way he presented himself.”

O’Brien, who remains close with Hackenberg, says the Texans also gave his former charge a high draft grade.Christian is big and strong and throws a good football,” O’Brien says. “He's shown the ability to overcome adversity. It's hard to evaluate his career. There was a coaching change, and he had to adapt. Now, I watched a lot of his film [from 2014 and 2015], and I saw some bad plays, like people talk about. But I saw a lot of good plays too. We had him evaluated as a really good quarterback prospect.”

Hackenberg also worked out for Philadelphia, Cleveland, Washington and Dallas. The Eagles were the only other team that kept its workout under wraps to the degree that New York did. “It was more than what you would normally experience from your average, everyday pre-draft workout,” LaMontagne says. “You can never read too much into that stuff, because there are always the smoke screens and the games that are being played for the right [draft] position, but sometimes things just feel a little bit different. And there were plenty of red flags, or green flags, depending on your perspective.”

According to Rosa, Hackenberg’s stock began to rise about two weeks before the draft. “The last couple of weeks he really gained momentum, because the more he got in front of teams, whether it be a private workout or a visit, they got to see how much he loves football and the passion he has for it,” he said. “He is a tough kid and he took a beating the last two years and it never fazed him.”

Three days after the workout at Penn State, Hackenberg visited the Jets facility in Florham Park, N.J. “I had a very productive conversation with Mike [Maccagnan] after his workout and they felt very strongly about him as a player and his development,” Rosa said. And Hackenberg himself thought the workout and visit went smoothly. “I had a really good vibe coming from the Jets,” he said.

It was appropriate that former Jets quarterback Chad Pennington announced their second-round selection of a quarterback.

Photo: 

It was appropriate that former Jets quarterback Chad Pennington announced their second-round selection of a quarterback. 

When the Texans traded up two spots to jump ahead of the Jets to pick at No. 50, New York management held their breath. Was this an O’Brien play to rekindle the flame with his one-season-sensation? “The thought did cross our mind,” Maccagnan said Friday night after the second and third rounds wrapped up.

Meanwhile, at home in Palmyra, Virginia, Hackenberg thought it was Houston calling him at 8:45 p.m. Hackenberg was in his backyard playing a game of cornhole with his private quarterback coach Jordan Palmer (Carson Palmer’s younger brother) and LaMontagne, when his mom ran out the back door and whistled for her son to come inside and pick up his phone. “We walked up the steps of the deck behind him and we’re thinking that he is going to Houston,” LaMontagne says. “He is going to be a Texan, this is awesome, he’s back with Bill. And then Houston ends up picking a center and Jordan and I look at each other and simultaneously, we’re like what the f-- , what just happened? Are we witnessing a Mohamed Sanu moment here?”

Drafted by Cincinnati in the third round of the 2012 draft, current Falcons receiver Sanu was the target of a practical joke in the first round. As the Bengals were getting ready to make the 27th pick, Sanu received a phone call. It was a prank caller pretending to be Cincinnati personnel welcoming him to the team. Sanu, his family and his agents all fell for it. But Hackenberg wasn’t the butt of a joke; the Jets were on the line. Unsettled at quarterback, it wasn’t surprising that New York drafted their ninth quarterback in the past 11 years, a league-high and their fourth for a fourth straight year. But Maccagnan refused to acknowledge the obvious implications of the message sent by spending a valuable second-round pick on the most heavily scrutinized quarterback of this draft. “I wouldn’t classify him [as a starter or as a developmental quarterback],” he said. “Every player you take you would like to think they will be a starter. Even if you take a right guard in the second round, you still are going to have the same intention that you think he could be a starting-caliber player. I don’t think there is a standard that you have to fall into.”

AFC East rival Buffalo expressed as much interest in Hackenberg as the Jets did, Rosa said. Though the Bills didn’t work him out privately, they attended Penn State’s pro day and remained interested in Hackenberg throughout the process. Buffalo wanted to pick a quarterback, but weren’t willing to use a high pick on the position. The Bills ended up making their quarterback pick in the fourth round (Cardale Jones).

With the addition of Hackenberg, the Jets now have three backup quarterbacks, including Geno Smith and 2015 fourth-round selection Bryce Petty. But no starter. The team has drawn a line in the sand with Ryan Fitzpatrick’s contract, and although Maccagnan has insisted that drafting Hackenberg does not affect the team’s goal to resign Fitzpatrick, the underlying message is clear: Fitzpatrick is a bridge, and Hackenberg is waiting in the wings.

Since taking over before the 2015 season, Maccagnan has balanced his strategy between winning now and building for the future. Even though the Jets GM has made big free-agent signings (Darrelle Revis, Matt Forte), the Hackenberg pick proves this front office doesn’t view their current roster as an immediate Super Bowl contender. If they did, they wouldn’t have spent a second-round pick on a quarterback and they’d be willing to devote significant money to Fitzpatrick’s contract.

Maccagnan has a best-player-available draft philosophy, and at No. 51, Hackenberg was in the highest-rated group still on the Jets draft board—a prospect whom the decision-makers viewed, for all his flaws, as a solid kid with a high ceiling. The Jets weren’t locked in at the quarterback position with their second-round choice, but of those players rated highest, Hackenberg had the most potential.

There is a learning curve,” Bowles said. “When we picked Leonard [Williams] last year, we had Mo [Wilkerson], Sheldon [Richardson] and Snacks [Harrison]. We knew he wasn’t going to come in and start right away. It’s no different this year. We picked the best player at the spot and it just happened to be a quarterback.”

Gailey will be charged with helping Hackenberg reach his “high ceiling’ and O’Brien thinks he’s in good hands to do that. “It's a great spot for him,” O’Brien says. “I coached for Gailey one year at Georgia Tech, and that's a perfect coach for him to learn from. Chan's a very patient guy. Good teacher.”

With the Hackenberg pick, the Jets’ quarterback situation is now even more unsettled. But one thing is certain: Of the four quarterbacks, only one has a guaranteed spot on the 2016 roster, and that’s Hackenberg. 

• Question or comment? Email us at talkback@themmqb.com - 

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

A harrowing story of abject stupidity and organizational incompetence

Thank you. I was going to read it but I figured it was like Jack and the Beanstalk except the beans ended up being ricin pellets and everyone who lived close to where Jack planted them died when he unwittingly poisoned the water supply.

7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Thank you. I was going to read it but I figured it was like Jack and the Beanstalk except the beans ended up being ricin pellets and everyone who lived close to where Jack planted them died when he unwittingly poisoned the water supply.

I didn't read it either. Just made an educated guess based on the headline.

i read it and the bottom line is mac was picking the bpa when he got to hackenberg.  this is comforting in that they were picking by position.  whatever the outcome, at least there was a rational plan for the pick. and this probably means that if there's a qb who's graded higher than other players mac may take him too.

35 minutes ago, rangerous said:

i read it and the bottom line is mac was picking the bpa when he got to hackenberg.  this is comforting in that they were picking by position.  whatever the outcome, at least there was a rational plan for the pick. and this probably means that if there's a qb who's graded higher than other players mac may take him too.

1995_HR.gif

2 hours ago, rangerous said:

You find it "comforting" that Macc believed that a guy who came in last place in a QB competition that included Ryan Fitzpatrick, Geno Smith, and Bryce Petty was the best player available in the 2nd round?

16 minutes ago, gEYno said:

You find it "comforting" that Macc believed that a guy who came in last place in a QB competition that included Ryan Fitzpatrick, Geno Smith, and Bryce Petty was the best player available in the 2nd round?

From day 1 Hack was never in the equation. Fans were basically told not to expect anything from him he was drafted for what he might become with work. Mac will be vindicated or crucified for the pick following this season. I for one was able to live with the pick last season it is time now for a Hack to step up and vindicate Mac for picking him or get released. Not saying he needs to be the starter (would like to see it)  but show growth with even more potential moving forward. 

7 hours ago, dbatesman said:

We should objectively and unemotionally look at the potential upside and potential downside of the Christian Hackenberg pick in the second round of the 2016 NFL draft. Let's look at the previous years picks at number 51 overall:

Malcolm Kelly - 2008

Andy Levitre - 2009

Toby Gerhart - 2010

DaQuan Bowers - 2011

Jerrell Worthy - 2012

David Amerson - 2013

Ego Ferguson - 2014

And once having done so we should ask ourselves the only intelligent question: "Why are we being such negative chicken-little turd biscuits?"

Because NONE of those picks have the potential franchise changing upside of a Christian Hackenberg- a maybe franchise QB.  Maybe not but who cares It was only a second round fkn pick!  Half of whom bust no matter what. 

So let's all be unemotional and rational, and STFU and see if this kid gives us a shot.  

And if not, we can then complain that we would've turned the fortunes of a franchise if we had only drafted the next Malcolm Kelly.  

4 minutes ago, David Harris said:

We should objectively and unemotionally look at the potential upside and potential downside of the Christian Hackenberg pick in the second round of the 2016 NFL draft. Let's look at the previous years picks at number 51 overall:

Malcolm Kelly - 2008

Andy Levitre - 2009

Toby Gerhart - 2010

DaQuan Bowers - 2011

Jerrell Worthy - 2012

David Amerson - 2013

Ego Ferguson - 2014

And once having done so we should ask ourselves the only intelligent question: "Why are we being such negative chicken-little turd biscuits?"

Because NONE of those picks have the potential franchise changing upside of a Christian Hackenberg- a maybe franchise QB.  Maybe not but who cares It was only a second round fkn pick!  Half of whom bust no matter what. 

So let's all be unemotional and rational, and STFU and see if this kid gives us a shot.  

And if not, we can then complain that we would've turned the fortunes of a franchise if we had only drafted the next Malcolm Kelly.  

well, that's just logical. Every QB has the potential to be franchise changing. Just take 6th round QBs in all rounds. One of them is bound to be the next Brady.

2 hours ago, Bocajetfan said:

From day 1 Hack was never in the equation. Fans were basically told not to expect anything from him he was drafted for what he might become with work. Mac will be vindicated or crucified for the pick following this season. I for one was able to live with the pick last season it is time now for a Hack to step up and vindicate Mac for picking him or get released. Not saying he needs to be the starter (would like to see it)  but show growth with even more potential moving forward. 

False. This never happened.

Just watched Gruden's qb camp with Hack

dude is a hot mess.  When Gruden asked him why his footwork was so putrid his response was "It is what it is... It's what Coach Franklin told me to do"

What a clown.  This guy is in the NFL?

We turned down a trade-up for Tunsil so we could draft a shrimpy, tweeting, mamas boy of an ILB plus Hackenberg. Then to make up for that we kept Giacomini last year, re-signed Ijalana this year, and guaranteed more than a yr of Beachum who wasn't good enough for the Jaguars.

Hackenberg had better be a damn good starting QB for years, and Lee a pro bowl ILB who suddenly fits a 3-4 base defense, to pass up on the best prospect in the draft. Particularly if he privately knew for certain he wasn't taking a QB in the 1st round anyway.

16 minutes ago, David Harris said:

we really missed out....only an idiot would take a high upside QB instead of these gems

IMG_5605.PNG

Yeah, well, because none of them have taken an NFL snap either I guess. 

9 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

We turned down a trade-up for Tunsil so we could draft a shrimpy, tweeting, mamas boy of an ILB plus Hackenberg. Then to make up for that we kept Giacomini last year, re-signed Ijalana this year, and guaranteed more than a yr of Beachum who wasn't good enough for the Jaguars.

Hackenberg had better be a damn good starting QB for years, and Lee a pro bowl ILB who suddenly fits a 3-4 base defense, to pass up on the best prospect in the draft. Particularly if he privately knew for certain he wasn't taking a QB in the 1st round anyway.

Only thing Mac got right was we dodged the Paxton Lynch bullet

Lee is basically a Vilma-clone.  I would have preferred Hunter Henry but I still have hope for the kid

20 minutes ago, David Harris said:

we really missed out....only an idiot would take a high upside QB instead of these gems

IMG_5605.PNG

If only Mac had watched Gruden's QB camp. We wouldn't be in this mess today. Damn. You can tell everything you need to know about that ****tard kid from just watching 30 seconds of John Gruden's QB Camp. What was Mac thinking not watching that?

6 hours ago, rangerous said:

Actually, it's not comforting. If his 2nd round pick was a BPA on his board and he failed to take a single snap in a season we would've benefitted from even Tom Tupa playing QB, that's extremely worrisome, not comforting. I take my words back actually. Tom Tupa was probably a better QB of the two. 

9 hours ago, dbatesman said:

8 hours ago, T0mShane said:

8 hours ago, dbatesman said:

I didn't read it either. Just made an educated guess based on the headline.

That's how I got through college.

8 hours ago, dbatesman said:

^also a harrowing story of abject stupidity and organizational incompetence

??????

12-1n009-bertandernie1-300x300.jpg?quali

7 hours ago, David Harris said:

Malcolm Kelly - 2008

Andy Levitre - 2009

Toby Gerhart - 2010

DaQuan Bowers - 2011

Jerrell Worthy - 2012

David Amerson - 2013

Ego Ferguson - 2014

Or we could look at numbers that actually have a proven track record of predictive value, which say Hackenberg is one of the worst draft picks of the decade. Six of one, really.

9 hours ago, Bocajetfan said:

When the Jets made this pick, even those "experts" on TV that liked Hack said he probaly would need a couple of years of seasoning before being able to start.  Unfortunately most fans need instant gradification or they get upset.  No one on this Board has a clue how good or bad Hackenberg is. The Jets never wanted to play him last season and they stuck to that plan.  This season the most likely scenario is that McCown starts the season with a transition to Hackenberg at some point.

I didn't like the pick either. I read the article looking for some kind of inkling that would maybe get me to change my mind on Hack. After reading it and how Hack struggled with learning a different style offense it failed to change my mind. We do need to see what Hack has got though and I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt but I am not encouraged. All it does is erode what little confidence I had in Mac and judging by his last draft that confidence was behind the decimal in the first place. What this also does is make me believe that Mac will not be drafting a QB in the 1st round and will take the "best available player" on his board. Makes me shudder at that prospect. So looks like brittle hamstrings Lattimore will be a Jet. Oh well 1-15 or 2-14 here we come.

7 hours ago, David Harris said:

Malcolm Kelly - 2008

Andy Levitre - 2009

Toby Gerhart - 2010

DaQuan Bowers - 2011

Jerrell Worthy - 2012

David Amerson - 2013

Ego Ferguson - 2014

Kellen Clemens was the #51 pick 11 years ago (which the Jets traded up a little to get afgter having had traded down), yet we didn't hear all the bitching and whining as we do today over Hackenberg.   

7 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Evidence?

And the hatred for Darron Lee continues despite making the All Rookie team. Yet he is raw.

And I thought you approved of the Beachum deal, at least when it was first announced.

Archived