Grade the Pick @ #6: Bama DL Jonathan Allen

Sarge4Tide

Jonathan Allen at #6?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. If the Jets selected Alabama DL Jonathan Allen with the 6th pick, I would grade the pick.....

• A+
    • A
    • A-
    • B+
    • B
    • B-
    • C+
    • C
    • C-
    • D+
    • D
    • D-
    • F+
    • F
    • F-

2 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

A+ purely for the comedy value alone. I've reached the point where I'm actively rooting for it.

Impressive, it took you less than 1 minute to take a dump in this thread after it was posted.  Kudos to you.

The pick would make Richardson expendable for the right price. He is somewhat a liability both on and off the field. Off field his issues are well documented on the field it is more the fact that he will have to be paid. His new price tag will be high and eat up cap dollars. Jets would have a cheaper and possibly as talented replacement.

allen is a blue chip player.  using a bpa strategy means he would get the nod if he graded out higher than other players.  i certainly agree it would do nothing to help the jet log jam on the dline.  but one avenue no one has thought about is trading leo.  leo is a force and one of the very good things about the jet dline but if he can be replaced and traded it's not that bad.  the key would be to get the 5th pick or higher.

I would not be happy with the selection of Allen, but it would demonstrate that Mac is a dedicated Monk of the B.P.A. philosophy - all else be damned. So i would UNDERSTAND the pick, and Allen IS A BLUECHIP STUD w/LOW Bust rate, but it's an EASY OUT and it's simply Playing It Safe.  

I WANT a GM with 

1478148-balls_of_steel.jpg

Take that OFFENSIVE Game-Changer (OJ Howard?, Fournettte?, Corey Davis/Williams?) whoever can HELP a Young Developing QB to SCORE points in an offensively-biased league. I commend Dimitroff for what some considered SUICIDE to trade up for Julio Jones, but it PAID OFF. Get the Game Breaker!

. . . .but I would sadly understand the pick.

If Macc trades Sheldon, Allen could be a replacement for him at ILB. Not sure how else we could get a 290 pound linebacker on the field again this year.

Sticking to BPA guns and the possibility of cutting Wilkerson after this season and losing Richardson to trade or FA are the only things that would keep me from grading this as an F.

The pick would make Richardson expendable for the right price. He is somewhat a liability both on and off the field. Off field his issues are well documented on the field it is more the fact that he will have to be paid. His new price tag will be high and eat up cap dollars. Jets would have a cheaper and possibly as talented replacement.

Isn't Richardson already expendable? Did you see much value from him for us playing in couples lb role?

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

allen is a blue chip player.  using a bpa strategy means he would get the nod if he graded out higher than other players.  i certainly agree it would do nothing to help the jet log jam on the dline.  but one avenue no one has thought about is trading leo.  leo is a force and one of the very good things about the jet dline but if he can be replaced and traded it's not that bad.  the key would be to get the 5th pick or higher.

Good one.

Allen couldn't sniff Williams' jock.  Allen is a good college player whose game doesn't translate to the pros.  He's undersized, slow, and lacks quickness.  Meanwhile, Williams looks like Kris Jenkins out there.

29 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

Isn't Richardson already expendable? Did you see much value from him for us playing in couples lb role?

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

As a LB he most certainly is. As a D lineman he is a reliable to dominate player and that is the context of my opinion.

On ‎3‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 9:52 PM, Bocajetfan said:

As a LB he most certainly is. As a D lineman he is a reliable to dominate player and that is the context of my opinion.

When is the last time ANY Jets DL could be considered "dominant"?? And when has Richardson, he of the TWO suspensions, been shown to be reliable? I love Leonard Williams. I loved Mo Wilkerson. But neither of these guys is dominant. Neither of them made any game-changing or clinching plays. And, Richardson, while miscast (as Coples before him was) at OLB, really didn't show much at DL either last year.

Yes, Richardson is talented. But, dominant? hardly. Reliable? even less so.

The Jets have had one of the NFL's best DLs during what has effectively been a playoff drought.

Another  team with a strong DL?  The Rams.

They are better off with one of the WRs, or even a QB, than taking Allen.

It seems that the way teams block and pass now has made interior DL much less relevant.

But one would think that teams perhaps start running again to neutralize the pass focuses defenses.

If the Jets selected Alabama defensive lineman Jonathan Allen with the 6th pick in the 2017 NFL Draft, what grade would you give the pick?

Sadly this could easily be the pick as he could be the best player on the board -- and 3/4 of the JN preached the sh*t out of that "draft agenda" last year. He'd get C+ from me

fortunately I think he has to appreciate redundancy at some point. The alternatives aren't pretty tho. It's Fournette/Williams/Cook/Howard hopefully.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived